RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tyler Summit today
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/08/21 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
pilight wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Interesting article. Tyler is to be commended for voluntarily giving an in-depth interview on the fifth anniversary of his termination from LaTech. He knows that WBB fans, who have literally followed his life since Pat's labor pains on an airplane, continue to be interested in his ongoing life story.

He undoubtedly knows that such an interview will help to rehabilitate his public image as well.

No doubt, and he's entitled to do so.

I, for one, don't believe that some hormonal consensual sin committed at age 24 should blacklist and destroy a person's career forevermore. If that were the universal rule, a huge chunk of the world's business managers, college professors, military officers, artists, politicians, famous personas, wealthy individuals, kings, queens, doctors, lawyers and Indian chiefs would disappear en masse in a Thanos Snap.

Exactly this. But because Tyler’s last name happens to be Summitt and his mother was Pat, some of you will still be bringing this up and trashing him when he’s 95.

And I still think it’s impolite to post articles that are behind a paywall in a (more or less) public forum.

PostPosted: 04/08/21 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
pilight wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Interesting article. Tyler is to be commended for voluntarily giving an in-depth interview on the fifth anniversary of his termination from LaTech. He knows that WBB fans, who have literally followed his life since Pat's labor pains on an airplane, continue to be interested in his ongoing life story.

He undoubtedly knows that such an interview will help to rehabilitate his public image as well.

I, for one, don't believe that some hormonal consensual sin committed at age 24 should blacklist and destroy a person's career forevermore. If that were the universal rule, a huge chunk of the world's business managers, college professors, military officers, artists, politicians, famous personas, wealthy individuals, kings, queens, doctors, lawyers and Indian chiefs would disappear en masse in a Thanos Snap.

Exactly this. But because Tyler’s last name happens to be Summitt and his mother was Pat, some of you will still be bringing this up and trashing him when he’s 95, because some people just like to be ugly.

And I still think it’s impolite to post articles that are behind a paywall in a (more or less) public forum.

PostPosted: 04/08/21 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
pilight wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Exactly this. But because Tyler’s last name happens to be Summitt and his mother was Pat, some of you will still be bringing this up and trashing him when he’s 95, because some of you just like to be ugly.

I clicked on this article just fine with no error so it may not have appeared to be a paywall to someone. But I also fail to see how it's impolite. Don't read it if you don't want to pay for it - there may be other people interested.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/08/21 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
pilight wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Exactly this. But because Tyler’s last name happens to be Summitt and his mother was Pat, some of you will still be bringing this up and trashing him when he’s 95, because some of you just like to be ugly.

I clicked on this article just fine with no error so it may not have appeared to be a paywall to someone. But I also fail to see how it's impolite. Don't read it if you don't want to pay for it - there may be other people interested.

Not everyone is able to pay for every damn article from paywalled sources that comes along. It’s not per article, it’s a subscription, which can be a substantial outlay for some people. In the case of USA Today, it’s $4.99 per month...and they’re not always easy to cancel, either.

PostPosted: 04/08/21 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
pilight wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Not everyone is able to pay for every damn article from paywalled sources that comes along. It’s not per article, it’s a subscription, which can be a substantial outlay for some people. In the case of USA Today, it’s $4.99 per month...and not always easy to cancel, either.

That's not the point I was trying to make. I'm saying there's nothing wrong in my opinion with posting an article to a link that may not be free to everyone. If people can't read it, so be it. It's not like everyone is reading all the free articles posted on here anyway.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/08/21 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Re paywalls:

1. Many publications allow a certain number of free views per month, each month, before the paywall block appears. That may be why some non-subscribers can read an article while others get blocked.

2. Many paywalls can be evaded by using incognito mode or VPN mode, or both, on your browser.

3. Some paywalled articles are available free in other sources if you search on them.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/08/21 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I read USAToday articles all day, every day. So there isn't a limit that I know of. I do not have a subscription.

A couple of months ago the started some thing where they would have some stories that they wanted you to be signed in for or something, but it was free to sign up for that. There was a little notification that you needed to be signed in to read it or something. I'm not seeing it now so I don't know if it went away because I signed up or if it went away because they changed their mind.

Something weird is going on though. Earlier today I was able to access the article. I got interrupted and then didn't have time to read it. I just now tried to read it and got the paywall. No idea what is going on with that, but it is something different from what I've ever experienced with USAToday.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/09/21 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Well, sorry, but I absolutely could not get to the article. And I just wish everyone would leave Tyler alone and let him get on with his life.

And I doubt VERY HIGHLY that if this happened to the son of ANY former coach, other than your beloved Pat, this would 800000% not be your reaction.

Leave him alone? Like, uhhhhhhhhhhhhh, he was a willing participant in the article. If you want him left alone, I suggest you reach out to him and tell him that. Your reaction is sheer homerism, just admit it.

Aside from being Pat Summitt's son, Tyler Summitt coached at two Division I WBB programs -- Marquette (assistant) and Louisiana Tech (head coach). There are constant discussions about former coaches on this forum (including WATN posts).

As ucbart mentioned, Tyler himself voluntarily sat for a lengthy/extended interview for one of the largest national publications.

Phil

PostPosted: 04/09/21 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
Such a sad story for all involved. As a side commentary, his living off his mother's state employee pension at $173,000/yr for life is just appalling from an economics standpoint. If I was a Tenn taxpayer, I'd be spitting nails.

(....what's the 'appalling' part??) I mean, that's a LARGE pension but....if I've earned it, aren't I allowed to bequeath it to someone? Maybe I'm missing something.

(....what's the 'appalling' part??) I mean, that's a LARGE pension but....if I've earned it, aren't I allowed to bequeath it to someone? Maybe I'm missing something.

The short response is that you are missing something. Pensions generally come in two flavors— defined-benefit pensions and defined contribution pensions (commonly called 401Ks). A half-century ago, most pensions were defined-benefit, while today, most new employees are going to get a defined contribution plan not a defined benefit plan. People near retirement age today grew up in an era when both options were common, and may have one or the other or both.

In a defined contribution plan, you put money into the plan (the employer contributes), there are tax deferral benefits, but the money accumulates in a fund that is yours to use in retirement, or to transfer to a spouse, child, friend, or charity. One could say that the balance in the plan is something you earned and therefore ought to be able to do what you want with it. This is simplified, but not too much. However, it is almost certain that this is not the type of pension at issue (I'm writing this generically I did not read the underlying article).

In a defined benefit plan, you and your employee contribute money, and then at retirement, you get the option of a fixed payment on a regular basis for the rest of your life, with an option to have some or all of those payments continue for the life of a spouse (the amounts will be different depending on which option is chosen). It is theoretically possible that upon death, the amounts can be paid to a child but that's very rare. I don't doubt that's what happened here but the first instance I've ever heard of. Because a child is expected to live much longer than a spouse, the cost of such an option will be higher than if the payments go to a spouse. I presume there was no funny business, and the ability to designate a child as a beneficiary was an option but it is highly likely that the payout to that child, even though it sounds like a lot at 173 K per year, is a lot lower than if the beneficiary were a spouse. The numbers seem large because she got paid a pretty penny as a coach and a typical pension pays out a significant fraction of annual earnings in most cases. The 173 sounds a lot lower than the amount that would be available to a spouse.

I don't think it's appalling and I don't think the Tennessee taxpayers should care — they are not paying out the 173 per year the insurance company is, so the economic decision was whether the pension options available to Pat while she was working were consistent with pension plans for other state employees. I suspect they were.

Last edited by Phil on 04/09/21 5:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Howee

PostPosted: 04/09/21 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thank you for that explanation, Phil. I take it you work closely with such things to know all that. Might it be that options vary by state, too?

PostPosted: 04/09/21 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I looked into this a little bit. The UT system has an optional retirement plan for faculty and other exempt staff. Under the plan one of the options is to get a two person lifetime annuity and the second person does not have to be a spouse. It is administered by TIAA. While the information did not include the adjustment made for the second person I assume it factors in age.

Given Pat's health I suspect they looked at their choices and decided this one was best.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/11/21 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
PG4ever wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Paywall. Please do not do that. Also it’s not necessary to bring up Tyler again.

I don't understand the "paywall" comment. Non-subscribers can access this article. Can you explain what you mean by that?

This is what I get:

This content is only available to USA TODAY subscribers.
Subscribe for as low as $4.99 per month.
Subscribe Now
Your subscription includes access to:
Exclusive, subscriber-only content and weekly email newsletter
Our most popular newsletter, Daily Briefing, to keep you updated on the day's top stories
Full access on your desktop, tablet and mobile device
The eNewspaper, a digital replica of the print edition
Original reporting that provides diverse perspectives on news and issues of today
We know you have many choices and appreciate you investing in us and the future of journalism.

I got the exact same message. When I googled "Tyler Summitt" the first item was a yahoo link to the story.

I was as shocked and disappointed as anyone at the time it happened. This article is successful in providing some perspective. It was a mistake, clearly. It also clearly impacted other players on the team due to perceived favoritism. Tyler divorced the wife he married too young and married the player he had the affair with and they have a son. I hope Tyler and his wife find the forgiveness they continue to seek through their faith and have good, long lives.

As you can likely tell from this post, I think the interview was a wise move on Tyler's part and it was ENTIRELY appropriate to post a link here. While some may harbor ill will towards him, I think most of us want to hear that Pat Summitt's son is moving forward with his life and maturing as a young adult. Nobody's life was - or should be - ruined by this mistake. Especially during a time when too many lives are being ruined or ended, it's nice to see resilience and signs of recovery. Everyone's lives are changed by mistakes we make but they don't have to ruin our lives.

I think this whole event should lead young people interested in coaching to choose the positions they take wisely. They need to learn how to navigate if they develop romantic feelings about a player. Either the player or coach can transfer to another school nearby. (I use the term "transfer" in relation to a coach loosely, understanding that it doesn't take place literally)

~rAf
linkster

PostPosted: 04/13/21 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:

I was as shocked and disappointed as anyone at the time it happened. This article is successful in providing some perspective. It was a mistake, clearly. It also clearly impacted other players on the team due to perceived favoritism. Tyler divorced the wife he married too young and married the player he had the affair with and they have a son. I hope Tyler and his wife find the forgiveness they continue to seek through their faith and have good, long lives.

As you can likely tell from this post, I think the interview was a wise move on Tyler's part and it was ENTIRELY appropriate to post a link here. While some may harbor ill will towards him, I think most of us want to hear that Pat Summitt's son is moving forward with his life and maturing as a young adult. Nobody's life was - or should be - ruined by this mistake. Especially during a time when too many lives are being ruined or ended, it's nice to see resilience and signs of recovery. Everyone's lives are changed by mistakes we make but they don't have to ruin our lives.

I think this whole event should lead young people interested in coaching to choose the positions they take wisely. They need to learn how to navigate if they develop romantic feelings about a player. Either the player or coach can transfer to another school nearby. (I use the term "transfer" in relation to a coach loosely, understanding that it doesn't take place literally)

I think "most of us" have forgiven Summitt. And we thought we had "forgotten" him also until this article appears in a national paper. If this had been a disgraced actor the first comment in this thread would have been "So the POS hired an image consultant and they bribed a reporter to write a sympathetic article".
As for a ruined life, 175G's/yr for life is the ruin I'd like to experience. Rolling Eyes

Catmomma

PostPosted: 04/15/21 4:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="calbearman76"]I looked into this a little bit. The UT system has an optional retirement plan for faculty and other exempt staff. Under the plan one of the options is to get a two person lifetime annuity and the second person does not have to be a spouse. It is administered by TIAA. While the information did not include the adjustment made for the second person I assume it factors in age.

Given Pat's health I suspect they looked at their choices and decided this one was best.[/quote]

I also looked at it. I'm a former state employee and I think most state employee pensions are calculated basically the same. It's also the same as federal government employees. Employees get a certain percent of their salary for every year that they worked. In Tennessee it's 1.6% per year and they average the five highest years of salary to determine the salary number that's used. So, conservatively, Summit pension was $600,000 a year. You can choose how the pension is paid out and the pension is reduced depending on the option chosen. That means that Summit gave up at least two-thirds of her pension to provide for Tyler. They're also not funded by taxpayer money as such. All states have individual Pension funds. Each employee and the employer put in a percent of the employee's salary every year. If the pension fund is run right, it is self-supporting.

Catmomma

PostPosted: 04/15/21 4:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="calbearman76"]I looked into this a little bit. The UT system has an optional retirement plan for faculty and other exempt staff. Under the plan one of the options is to get a two person lifetime annuity and the second person does not have to be a spouse. It is administered by TIAA. While the information did not include the adjustment made for the second person I assume it factors in age.

Given Pat's health I suspect they looked at their choices and decided this one was best.[/quote]

I also looked at it. I'm a former state employee and I think most state employee pensions are calculated basically the same. It's also the same as federal government employees. Employees get a certain percent of their salary for every year that they worked. In Tennessee it's 1.6% per year and they average the five highest years of salary to determine the salary number that's used. So, conservatively, Summit pension was $600,000 a year. You can choose how the pension is paid out and the pension is reduced depending on the option chosen. That means that Summit gave up at least two-thirds of her pension to provide for Tyler. They're also not funded by taxpayer money as such. All states have individual Pension funds. Each employee and the employer put in a percent of the employee's salary every year. If the pension fund is run right, it is self-supporting.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/26/21 6:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.latechbbb.com/forum/showthread.php?142399-Tyler-Summitt-Assistant-Coach-to-Wife

Some thoughts on former Coach Summit from Bulldawg Barks and Bytes A very long running Louisiana Tech fan form which still features some very astute posters who once frequented Rebkells. Lots of discussion in this thread about LA Tech administration and their role in this dramatic scenario.

It will be interesting over the next week to follow discussion on BBB regarding the once Favorite daughter now coaching at the largest in-state rival.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: