RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coaching Search Talk
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GEF34

PostPosted: 04/14/21 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Most UCONN fans that I talk to seem to think it's Morgan Valley. She took over as HC at Hartford, which was in total dissaray...but rumor has it that they might take a step down to DIII because of Covid. Morgan was a very successful assistant coach at VaTech, Washington, and Arizona. She is the person that seems to meet all the qualifications.

Total disarray? Hartford was coming off a 23-11 season (third straight year with a winning record) with a WNIT appearance. Kim McNeill left to become the head coach at East Carolina.

This would be a GREAT move for Valley seeing as her head coaching record at Hartford over the last 2 seasons is 4-37. Yes, a pandemic struck towards the end of her first year, but she was 1-28 that season prior to everything getting shut down. Some people are better off as assistant coaches and she may very well fall into that category.

I'm not trying to knock her or her selection whatsoever, just merely pointing out facts. To go back to UConn and learn from Geno/CD would be awesome for anybody.

The Hartford team that did all of that in 2019 was gone, Morgan Valley had a team that lost the top 7 scorers from the previous year. It’s not as if she had come in and was able to work with the team that did all you listed above and she couldn’t succeed with them, she has had to rebuild that program.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/15/21 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In an anonymous survey of 235 D1 coaches two years ago, Shea Ralph was identified as the assistant coach most likely to succeed as a head coach and Vanderbilt was identified as the second toughest coaching job in the country.

https://highposthoops.com/2018/11/02/coaches-get-candid-anonymous-ncaa-coach-poll/2/

Assuming validity, irresistible force meeting immovable object paradox?
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/19/21 9:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
In an anonymous survey of 235 D1 coaches two years ago, Shea Ralph was identified as the assistant coach most likely to succeed as a head coach and Vanderbilt was identified as the second toughest coaching job in the country.

https://highposthoops.com/2018/11/02/coaches-get-candid-anonymous-ncaa-coach-poll/2/

Assuming validity, irresistible force meeting immovable object paradox?

The link GlennMacGrady posted was from 2018, but it still both hilarious and sad for Duke fans to see the following questions and answers.

Question 2: Who is the most overrated coach in the country?
    1. Karen Aston, Texas
    2. Joanne P. McCallie, Duke
    3. Cori Close, UCLA

Question 4: What is the best job in the country in terms of the school that is most set up to be successful?
    1. Notre Dame
    2. Texas
    3. UCLA

Honorable mentions:
    UConn
    Stanford
    Duke

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/19/21 1:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know why people don't think much of Close. She's built UCLA into a national power ...

PostPosted: 04/22/21 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is a 13 page thread on an LSU forum where rumors are swirling that has Kim Mulkey coming home. In the thread, there is a picture of Kim in Louisiana eating crawfish with friends on her instagram.

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/lsu-sports/kim-mulkey-is-coming-home--maybe/95991668/

Howee

PostPosted: 04/22/21 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
There is a 13 page thread on an LSU forum where rumors are swirling that has Kim Mulkey coming home. In the thread, there is a picture of Kim in Louisiana eating crawfish with friends on her instagram.

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/lsu-sports/kim-mulkey-is-coming-home--maybe/95991668/

I just like the 'tigerdroppings' nomenclature. It somehow just....works. Laughing

PostPosted: 04/27/21 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://247sports.com/college/michigan/Article/Michigans-Kim-Barnes-Arico-among-top-candidates-for-Baylor-womens-basketball-head-coach-opening-search-164720601/

I don't think there's a mutual fit with KBA and Baylor but stranger things have happened. I'm thinking it'll be Joni Taylor or one of the current assistants. Or Joni Taylor.

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/27/21 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

oh God no no no nonononononoonononoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo I love you KBA but that would be a bridge, a tunnel, and a ferry too far

In all seriousness, I agree with the previous post. That doesn't seem to be a fit, stylistically or culturally.

(now with spelling variations)
mzonefan

PostPosted: 04/27/21 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can’t see KBA leaving Michigan unless she returns home at some point. I was surprised we got her in Ann Arbor to start with due to her strong NJ/NY roots, but I believe she’s genuinely interested in staying here and continuing to build. Having two teenage girls at home would be a tough time for a move anyway.

Toyelle makes sense if she hadn’t just been hired at SMU.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/27/21 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
That doesn't seem to be a fit, stylistically or culturally.

Agreed. That reminds me of Gail G heading out to Texas....culture discrepancies DO matter. Some of the most hard-headed, unforgiving fans I've known are fans of Texan teams. They get all serious about it down there. Razz

PostPosted: 04/27/21 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
I can’t see KBA leaving Michigan unless she returns home at some point. I was surprised we got her in Ann Arbor to start with due to her strong NJ/NY roots, but I believe she’s genuinely interested in staying here and continuing to build. Having two teenage girls at home would be a tough time for a move anyway.

Toyelle makes sense if she hadn’t just been hired at SMU.

I don't know if Toyelle Wilson is a fit for the same reasons she left Baylor.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/29/21 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The biggest question for Baylor (long term) will be whether it is a WBB program or simply a creation of Kim Mulkey.

But in the short term, given Baylor's LGBTQ policies (among other issues) and the fact that Waco is not the most desirable destination in the world (in terms of places to live), it would seem -- to me -- the answer would be obvious.

Hire someone who is incredibly familiar with Baylor and integral to Baylor's success in the past decade - Sytia Messer.

PG4ever

PostPosted: 05/03/21 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if Amaka Agugua-Hamilton, head coach at Missouri State, would be a candidate for Baylor. She was an assistant at VCU, Indiana, Old Dominion, and Michigan State before becoming HC.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 05/03/21 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nicki Collen to Baylor.

Queenie

PostPosted: 05/03/21 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am extremely relieved that Baylor's search isn't going to go on forever and it's not going to include KBA.

(now with spelling variations)
summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/04/21 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Nicki Collen to Baylor.

It is my suspicion that a lot of people said no. And/or that they didn't look very hard. I could, of course, be wrong.

PostPosted: 05/04/21 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I am extremely relieved that Baylor's search isn't going to go on forever and it's not going to include KBA.

+1

Durantula

PostPosted: 05/05/21 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is Southern California going to hire someone soon? Who should they be looking at?

LitePal

PostPosted: 05/05/21 11:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USC's AD has been going overboard on hiring Cincinnati personnel so the natural person would be Michelle Clark Heard. Karl Smesko was offered the job last time and also coached alongside current USC's men coach Enfield. I was sort of surprised Smesko wasn't named as a possibility on any of the large openings this year.

Coyotes

PostPosted: 05/06/21 8:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
USC's AD has been going overboard on hiring Cincinnati personnel so the natural person would be Michelle Clark Heard. Karl Smesko was offered the job last time and also coached alongside current USC's men coach Enfield. I was sort of surprised Smesko wasn't named as a possibility on any of the large openings this year.

Smesko has often stated that he's happy at FGCU, and doesn't want to leave. I'm not sure what would lure him away, but it would likely be something in Florida when it opens up.

Howee

PostPosted: 05/06/21 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
LitePal wrote:

Smesko has often stated that he's happy at FGCU, and doesn't want to leave. I'm not sure what would lure him away, but it would likely be something in Florida when it opens up.

As an Ohio boy, I believe he'd have considered the OH St. gig, when it had opened up, but....one never knows.

PostPosted: 05/06/21 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Nicki Collen to Baylor.

It is my suspicion that a lot of people said no. And/or that they didn't look very hard. I could, of course, be wrong.

I'm pretty confident you're wrong. The search only lasted a week. That isn't much time to get many no's. In fact, I'd be really surprised if there were more than one. There might have been some "not interested" replies, but even making the hire in a week is acting fast.

This hire seems to fit Rhode's MO. He looks for rising talent rather than stars. And he evaluates things like record in context (Matt Rhule wasn't going to win 10 games every year at Temple). Frankly, everything about Collen seems pretty sharp. If I was Smith, I'd be dancing -- based on the way Collen described getting her involved in the offense.

Will it work? Who knows? In the short history of women's basketball, programs are basically 0-fer at replacing legends (with ND still getting an incomplete grade). So it's basically a crap-shoot.

osubeavers

PostPosted: 05/10/21 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USC women’s basketball hires former Cal head coach Lindsay Gottlieb.

PostPosted: 05/10/21 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, talk about pathetic. Gottlieb will destroy whatever was left of their program.

Howee

PostPosted: 05/10/21 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
Wow, talk about pathetic. Gottlieb will destroy whatever was left of their program.

Why do you perceive her so negatively? She had a pretty decent run at Cal, no?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: