RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn 2021-22 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 12/11/21 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope they do whatever is best for her longterm career. My stepson had a pin put in his to hold it together while it healed and that worked out well longterm...but it took him a long time to get back to full strength.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 12/11/21 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
UConn star Paige Bueckers considering surgery for leg injury

I certainly hope Paige Bueckers is getting second and third opinions from nationally recognized orthopedic knee surgeons, such as at NYC's Hospital for Special Surgery, instead of just relying on Drs. Joyce, Arciero, et al. at the UConn Health Center—who, in my harsh opinion, did not distinguish themselves with the knees of Shea Ralph, Brittany Hunter, Caroline Doty, or Morgan Tuck.

If she and/or UConn aren't seeking multiple opinions, they're collectively idiots. HSS isn't far, and isn't the Yale-New Haven system also well respected? As soon as surgery is on the table, you measure at least twice before you cut once.

The Bone and Joint Institute in Hartford and Mass General are both about an hour away from Storrs. She has plenty of options.

linkster

PostPosted: 12/12/21 12:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
linkster wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Let this be a lesson to you, Geno...USE YOUR BENCH! Use it when you should, not when you just have to.

Just an excuse for you to have something not nice to say about Gano.

Her injury is always the result of a blow or a series of blows over timeand has nothing to do with muscle fatigue. So it could have occurred walking to the locker room after the game, at Practice the next day or March 15th.

UConn has an enviable record with ACL's which are fatigue related. The facts speak for themselves. When STB finds the last UConn player to have an ACL tear at UConn she'll realize how silly her comment sounds. [/u]

I have said almost nothing about Geno for months, so this is just an excuse for you to be nasty. I believe a coach should always use their bench and that Geno has a bad habit of using his players like some owners use their prize racehorses, running them until they drop. Then he has a bench that isn't ready. End of what I have to say about it. That isn't "nasty", it's just an opinion. You really need to get over being so hyper-defensive and thinking anything remotely critical is an "attack".

You only post in any UConn thread when you have something critical to say. Now that is OK. It's an open board. But don't try and play the victim. You are the 1st one to tell a UConn fan in a Tenn game thread to get lost because they don't belong.
Just to show how you talk without knowing anything, prized race horses are NEVER raced until they drop.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/14/21 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A doctor reviews Bueckers' hypertension and explains tibial plateau fractures.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Il7LkRpXdHE" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 12/14/21 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks, Glen.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 12/14/21 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
linkster wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Let this be a lesson to you, Geno...USE YOUR BENCH! Use it when you should, not when you just have to.

Just an excuse for you to have something not nice to say about Gano.

Her injury is always the result of a blow or a series of blows over timeand has nothing to do with muscle fatigue. So it could have occurred walking to the locker room after the game, at Practice the next day or March 15th.

UConn has an enviable record with ACL's which are fatigue related. The facts speak for themselves. When STB finds the last UConn player to have an ACL tear at UConn she'll realize how silly her comment sounds. [/u]

I have said almost nothing about Geno for months, so this is just an excuse for you to be nasty. I believe a coach should always use their bench and that Geno has a bad habit of using his players like some owners use their prize racehorses, running them until they drop. Then he has a bench that isn't ready. End of what I have to say about it. That isn't "nasty", it's just an opinion. You really need to get over being so hyper-defensive and thinking anything remotely critical is an "attack".

You only post in any UConn thread when you have something critical to say. Now that is OK. It's an open board. But don't try and play the victim. You are the 1st one to tell a UConn fan in a Tenn game thread to get lost because they don't belong.
Just to show how you talk without knowing anything, prized race horses are NEVER raced until they drop.

x___________________________

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 12/14/21 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bueckers had successful surgery yesterday to repair the plateau fracture as well as a hitherto unknown (to the public) lateral meniscus tear.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 12/14/21 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great news. Glad to hear it.

Queenie

PostPosted: 12/14/21 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm gonna go with "hilariously optimistic" on that 6-8 week timeframe.

(now with spelling variations)
SPD

PostPosted: 12/14/21 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
Bueckers had successful surgery yesterday to repair the plateau fracture as well as a hitherto unknown (to the public) lateral meniscus tear.

More info:

"UConn sophomore guard Paige Bueckers underwent surgery on Monday afternoon to repair an anterior tibial plateau fracture and lateral meniscus tear in her left knee. The timetable for her return is estimated to be eight weeks from Monday, which would make her available in early February."

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/32867359/uconn-women-basketball-guard-paige-bueckers-undergoes-surgery-expected-miss-eight-weeks

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 12/17/21 5:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

what is with the absolute venom toward UConn & Media lately... its crazy, its like the 'me-too' movement. all other 300+ D1 programs are like "me too" - per Brenda Frese & others.

Howee

PostPosted: 12/17/21 9:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
what is with the absolute venom toward UConn & Media lately... its crazy, its like the 'me-too' movement. all other 300+ D1 programs are like "me too" - per Brenda Frese & others.

Can you elaborate on that, cuz....I musta missed something....venom? Shocked

PostPosted: 12/17/21 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
snlMINAJ wrote:

Venom = anything the least bit factual or critical.

PostPosted: 12/17/21 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
snlMINAJ wrote:

Poster is probably referring to this one of Brenda Frese's tweets, as well as others in a similar vein pointing out the disproportionate number of ESPNW articles that have been about UConn this season.

PostPosted: 12/17/21 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Howee wrote:
snlMINAJ wrote:

Poster is probably referring to this one of Brenda Frese's tweets, as well as others in a similar vein pointing out the disproportionate number of ESPNW articles that have been about UConn this season.

Hmmm. Well, I don't disagree with Brenda there in spirit, at least. I can't imagine any team sport that has had one team (out of 300+) get such a high percentage of coverage from ESPN. I don't consider that "venom", just simple facts.

PostPosted: 12/17/21 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think that Brenda does have a point -- and I'm not sure how you go about dispersing the media more fairly.

I'm understanding that UConn gets coverage mainly because stories generate clicks -- but if you also shared stories going on around the country more consistently, I'm imagining you'd get a consistent audience. Sure, maybe do 1-2 features on UConn -- but 4/7 seems excessive.

It'd be nice to see coverage for teams like Oklahoma, BYU, Arizona etc. who are all having nice seasons so far.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/17/21 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Howee wrote:
snlMINAJ wrote:

ESPN's coverage seems about the same as usual

PostPosted: 12/17/21 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
Howee wrote:
snlMINAJ wrote:

ESPN's coverage seems about the same as usual

yes about the same as usual... and i am not saying what brenda said was venom... but this past week i have seen endless media/social media accounts criticizing the amount of coverage UConn gets.
its not out of the ordinary, first of all. and second, if no one was reading about them, you can be very sure there would not be multiple articles.

PG is the most visible prospect in WCBB right now, so i don't think its surprising her team is getting the most coverage.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/17/21 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, Brenda is frequently rather venomous, so UConn shouldn't take any particular umbrage or give itself airs on that. She's been just as nasty towards other schools.

PostPosted: 12/17/21 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
Howee wrote:
snlMINAJ wrote:

Hmmm. Well, I don't disagree with Brenda there in spirit, at least. I can't imagine any team sport that has had one team (out of 300+) get such a high percentage of coverage from ESPN. I don't consider that "venom", just simple facts.

There are always a lot of facts. But truth is more than that. When ESPN cherry picks a few facts adds speculation and inuendo to support a story with a preconceived conclusion, truth is not the usual result.
The apparent nativity of some about this is hard to buy. ESPN wants clicks, not fair and balanced reporting. UConn = clicks. Good UConn news or bad UConn news.

If Stanford drops their 3rd and 4th game in the next 4 days will ESPN question her coaching decisions? Will STB jump in to say Tara is abusing her players like they were cheap claiming horses?

It's all fun unless we actually believe it. Wink

ucbart

PostPosted: 12/18/21 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ya know what's crazy about this-UCONN gets a lot of clicks digitally, but I think the actual announcers and WBB personalities tend to downplay UCONN. Like last year, for instance. Paige had a historic freshman season and Debbie Antonelli was almost begging the audience to believe that Dana Evans should be NPOY. Like, Evans had a nice college career, but her being NPOY is laughable. This year during one broadcast, maybe 3 games into the season, Holly Rowe already proclaimed that Alliyah Boston was her NPOY(Nikki Fargas did the same during halftime of the UCLA/UCONN game) Last year ESPN hardly bothered with UCONN/Paige until the tournament, when they could use us/her for ratings. I mean, I watched several broadcasts where NFOY was brought up and they talked only about Clark and that's just one instance. Why would they build up a player they could rarely showcase? I get it.

Yes, UCONN gets a lot of coverage because it gets clicks, but ESPN the channel and its personalities heavily favor the SEC and Dawn Staley. Dawn is almost god-like to these people, which is whatever, but it certainly is the case. I mean, I get it as a UCONN fan that doesn't like Dawn or SC-the channel makes most of it's money off of the SEC and Dawn being a black woman and having a KiLLER program is surely to get the most coverage from a network like ESPN that leads with race, a lot.

Now-do all of you have a problem with all the SC/Boston love by ESPN programming? Did you hate it with Sabrina? Did you dislike it when they did it with Griner, Parker, or the 3 Meeks in 1998? I have a feeling that the ire of this coverage has a lot to do with the fact that everyone's favorite team is their team, and anyone who beats UCONN.

PS-I bet you Brenda, if she watched broadcasts, which she surely doesn't, would be more Shocked Evil or Very Mad about the amount of coverage SC gets programming wise than UCONN does digitally.

Davis4632

PostPosted: 12/18/21 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Ya know what's crazy about this-UCONN gets a lot of clicks digitally, but I think the actual announcers and WBB personalities tend to downplay UCONN. Like last year, for instance. Paige had a historic freshman season and Debbie Antonelli was almost begging the audience to believe that Dana Evans should be NPOY. Like, Evans had a nice college career, but her being NPOY is laughable. This year during one broadcast, maybe 3 games into the season, Holly Rowe already proclaimed that Alliyah Boston was her NPOY(Nikki Fargas did the same during halftime of the UCLA/UCONN game) Last year ESPN hardly bothered with UCONN/Paige until the tournament, when they could use us/her for ratings. I mean, I watched several broadcasts where NFOY was brought up and they talked only about Clark and that's just one instance. Why would they build up a player they could rarely showcase? I get it.

Yes, UCONN gets a lot of coverage because it gets clicks, but ESPN the channel and its personalities heavily favor the SEC and Dawn Staley. Dawn is almost god-like to these people, which is whatever, but it certainly is the case. I mean, I get it as a UCONN fan that doesn't like Dawn or SC-the channel makes most of it's money off of the SEC and Dawn being a black woman and having a KiLLER program is surely to get the most coverage from a network like ESPN that leads with race, a lot.

Now-do all of you have a problem with all the SC/Boston love by ESPN programming? Did you hate it with Sabrina? Did you dislike it when they did it with Griner, Parker, or the 3 Meeks in 1998? I have a feeling that the ire of this coverage has a lot to do with the fact that everyone's favorite team is their team, and anyone who beats UCONN.

PS-I bet you Brenda, if she watched broadcasts, which she surely doesn't, would be more Shocked Evil or Very Mad about the amount of coverage SC gets programming wise than UCONN does digitally.

Define hardly brought up. I remember plenty of instances in which Bueckers and UConn was mentioned and they weren't even playing. Clark certainly didn't have much national
hype surrounding her for NFOY. The ACC and SEC networks has a tendency to hype up and make cases for why their best players should be considered for NPOY awards.

Coyotes

PostPosted: 12/19/21 8:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I mean, the fact that there’s not a single article about a Top 10 matchup between Stanford and Tennessee showing on the home page should speak volumes to the bias that exists.

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 12/19/21 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Never underestimate ESPNS’s ability to run a particular narrative in the ground in an attempt to generate more interest/publicity for the sport, while simultaneously ignoring/neglecting other deserving players and storylines.

It’s nothing new just depends on which team you’re rooting for. The three to see, UConn’s run during the Stewie years, Arike’s buzzer beater, Sabrina’s senior year, last year with Paige and Caitlin Clark. ESPN blew their collective wad with their sweet 16 matchup, never mind Christyn Williams ended up being the best player on the floor during that game.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/19/21 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, Paige Bueckers' surgery "was successful." What does that mean? Not much, in my long experience reading media reports about sports injuries. Surgeons and PR departments for athletes always say that the next day.

To me, all it means is that the surgeon opened up an incision the way he wanted, sewed or screwed together or cut out what he wanted (according to his subjective preferences), closed the surgical incision, and the patient woke up alive. All of that says nothing about how, for any given patient, the post-surgery recovery will go, how long it will take, or whether any number of post-surgical complications will develop.

Relevant to Bueckers' surgery is the very recent research paper published in April, 2021, in the journal Orthopaedic Surgery, entitled "Surgical Strategy for Anterior Tibial Plateau Fractures in Hyperextension Knee Injuries". This is exactly the kind of injury and surgery Bueckers had.

The conclusion says that the results of all the surgeries were "satisfactory", but doesn't indicate whether that conclusion would be valid for an elite athlete.

To me, the more interesting aspects of the article are some of facts the article reports about this kind of surgery. Here are some:

Quote:
Hyperextension tibial plateau fractures are rare, but the injury is serious.

Quote:
At present, the fracture characteristics of anterior tibial fractures caused by knee hyperextension injuries are unclear. There is no consensus on the ideal choice of approach and fixation methods for anterior tibial plateau fractures.

Quote:
Determining how to reduce and fix the fracture of the anterior tibial plateau caused by the hyperextension injury is still a clinical problem that needs to be resolved.

Quote:
All cases in this group were followed up for 15.7 months (range: 12–24 months). All fractures achieved bone union, and the fracture healing time was 3.3 months (range: 3–6 months). There was no difference in fracture healing time for different fracture types.

The article indicates that many of the patients also had soft tissue injuries that had to be repaired. So did Bueckers, who needed torn meniscus repair. Depending on what part of the meniscus was damaged and how extensively, recovery from just the meniscus surgery can also be very variable.

My conclusion: Don't bet the farm on seeing Bueckers on the court eight weeks from the surgery.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: