RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn 2021-22 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Queenie

PostPosted: 12/08/21 11:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

If Muhl has had this injury for almost nine months, I'm not sure why it should be expected to clear up in the next three weeks.

The result of the injuries to Bueckers, Fudd, Muhl and Griffin, plus the transfer loss of Poffenbarger, likely means even more minutes per game will be played by six or seven healthy players—thus increasing their injury probabilities.

I'd like to see the empirical evidence that playing too many game minutes has a causal link to Tibia Plateau Fractures. UConn hasn't had an ACL injury in a long time. Tuck lost time as a sophomore but that was an aggravation of a meniscus tear. Other than that UConn has had an enviable record with regard to ACL's.
And yet those who have questioned Geno's use of his bench take Bueckers' mis step as an excuse to say "I told you so". Real classy.

They have 3 two hour practices a week along with individual sessions, weight training and personal time shooting as opposed to maybe an hour and 20 minutes of game minutes a week and we are supposed to buy the wild theory that it's game minutes that led to the injury?

Thank you Dr MacGrady Rolling Eyes

What I got from Mr. McGrady's post is not that overuse in games led specifically to Bueckers's injury, but that going forward, the healthy players who are left are going to be more likely to suffer fatigue-related injuries, since they'll be playing a heavier minute load, some of which they might not be prepared for. If I were a UConn fan, I would especially be concerned about Westbrook, since as far as I know she's the only reasonable semblance of a PG who isn't currently injured.

PostPosted: 12/08/21 11:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Let this be a lesson to you, Geno...USE YOUR BENCH! Use it when you should, not when you just have to.

Just an excuse for you to have something not nice to say about Gano.

Her injury is always the result of a blow or a series of blows over timeand has nothing to do with muscle fatigue. So it could have occurred walking to the locker room after the game, at Practice the next day or March 15th.

UConn has an enviable record with ACL's which are fatigue related. The facts speak for themselves. When STB finds the last UConn player to have an ACL tear at UConn she'll realize how silly her comment sounds. [/u]

summertime blues comment to me was more about how the players that will be needed to play due to these injuries will be playing without much game experience, where as if they had played in more games or gotten more time in previous games they would theoretically more comfortable playing now and the coaching staff would be more comfortable with them in the game. Geno did say he didn't like how the team looked when Paige was off the floor, so it doesn't seem likely that is his comfortable or at ease with them having to be in the game now when he doesn't as other options to use.

linkster

PostPosted: 12/09/21 12:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
linkster wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

If Muhl has had this injury for almost nine months, I'm not sure why it should be expected to clear up in the next three weeks.

The result of the injuries to Bueckers, Fudd, Muhl and Griffin, plus the transfer loss of Poffenbarger, likely means even more minutes per game will be played by six or seven healthy players—thus increasing their injury probabilities.

I'd like to see the empirical evidence that playing too many game minutes has a causal link to Tibia Plateau Fractures. UConn hasn't had an ACL injury in a long time. Tuck lost time as a sophomore but that was an aggravation of a meniscus tear. Other than that UConn has had an enviable record with regard to ACL's.
And yet those who have questioned Geno's use of his bench take Bueckers' mis step as an excuse to say "I told you so". Real classy.

They have 3 two hour practices a week along with individual sessions, weight training and personal time shooting as opposed to maybe an hour and 20 minutes of game minutes a week and we are supposed to buy the wild theory that it's game minutes that led to the injury?

What I got from Mr. McGrady's post is not that overuse in games led specifically to Bueckers's injury, but that going forward, the healthy players who are left are going to be more likely to suffer fatigue-related injuries, since they'll be playing a heavier minute load, some of which they might not be prepared for. If I were a UConn fan, I would especially be concerned about Westbrook, since as far as I know she's the only reasonable semblance of a PG who isn't currently injured.

I understand what you are saying but to me the intent of his post was to blame Geno for endangering his players through overuse in games, a popular opinion on this and other boards. If the injury was fatigue-related it would justify all the posts in recent years criticizing Geno for overplaying his starters. The truth though is that UConn has very very few fatigue-related injuries and this incident has zero to do with fatigue and yet the usual suspects are eager to blame it on Geno's overuse, facts or no facts.

Last edited by linkster on 12/11/21 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/09/21 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Let this be a lesson to you, Geno...USE YOUR BENCH! Use it when you should, not when you just have to.

Just an excuse for you to have something not nice to say about Gano.

Her injury is always the result of a blow or a series of blows over timeand has nothing to do with muscle fatigue. So it could have occurred walking to the locker room after the game, at Practice the next day or March 15th.

UConn has an enviable record with ACL's which are fatigue related. The facts speak for themselves. When STB finds the last UConn player to have an ACL tear at UConn she'll realize how silly her comment sounds. [/u]

I have said almost nothing about Geno for months, so this is just an excuse for you to be nasty. I believe a coach should always use their bench and that Geno has a bad habit of using his players like some owners use their prize racehorses, running them until they drop. Then he has a bench that isn't ready. End of what I have to say about it. That isn't "nasty", it's just an opinion. You really need to get over being so hyper-defensive and thinking anything remotely critical is an "attack".

PostPosted: 12/09/21 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Queenie wrote:
linkster wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

I understand what you are saying but to me the intent of his post was to blame Geno for endangering his players through overuse in games a popular opinion on this and other boards. If the injury was fatigue-related it would justify all the posts in recent years criticizing Geno for overplaying his starters. The truth though is that UConn has very very few fatigue-related injuries and this incident has zero to do with fatigue and yet the usual suspects are eager to blame it on Geno's overuse, facts or no facts.

I agree with Queenie's interpretation of the good Doctor's prognosis....

Linkster, are you saying that increased workload for players in a physically demanding sport will NOT likely increase the probability of injury? When the Doctor states "injury probabilities", you make the connection to Tibia[l] Plateau Fractures? That's certainly interesting, considering that the Doctor referenced not just Bueckers, but Fudd, Muhl, and Griffin, who like Bueckers are injured but UNLIKE Bueckers are not suffering from tibial plateau fractures. And he also referenced Saylor Poffenbarger's departure, which does NOT mean a departure of her tibial plateau from her tibia bone. So, you are accusing Doctor MacGrady of implying that player departures from the Connecticut WBB team via transfer will directly lead to tibial plateau fractures?? Is this really your position Question

pilight

PostPosted: 12/09/21 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/espnW/status/1469133160646684675

Quote:
In the last 25 years, only four coaches have beaten Geno Auriemma in their first meeting with him.

Three have come in 2021 Eyes

2021: Nell Fortner (Georgia Tech)
2021: Adia Barnes (Arizona)
2021: Mike Neighbors (Arkansas)
2007: Bob Starkey (LSU)

PostPosted: 12/10/21 1:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A future UConn trivia question:

Q - What player scored all of UConn's points in the fourth quarters of the fall 2021 games against both South Carolina and Georgia Tech?

A - Evina Westbrook . . . a grand total of (3+5=) 8 points.
Stormeo

PostPosted: 12/10/21 2:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Georgia Tech's women's basketball team ends UConn's 239-game win streak against unranked opponents

Quote:
The No. 3 Huskies fell 57-44 at Georgia Tech in UConn's lowest-scoring game since losing 48-42 to Rutgers on Feb. 27, 2006. The Huskies' last loss to an unranked foe was a 57-56 defeat to St. John's on Feb. 18, 2012, a stretch of 239 games...

"I don't think it's gonna get fixed," [Auriemma] said. "I really don't. I've been doing this a long, long time. Coaches are supposed to be eternal optimists. I'm too old to be an optimist. I'm a realist. I truly believe what I see. I don't try to make up what I'm seeing and pretend it's something else. I know what I see. And what I see is a team that's somewhat disheveled. And that's on me. Somehow, some way I do not have the ability at this point in time to affect my players to make sure that we're in a better place mentally and physically, to play the kind of basketball we need to play. I've usually been pretty good over the years at making players better. We get really good players coming out of high school, but they get better and better and better every year. And right now, that's not happening."

I appreciate & commend him for finally publicly taking ownership for when things don't go right, something I have previously criticized about him.

That said, as I believe Glenn MacG earlier pointed out, there is still quite a bit of non-injured talent he has to work with. Most other coaches in the country would surely be thrilled to be able to coach those who suited up for UConn tonight. It feels like there's a true disconnect when he professes his bleak opinion on UConn's current state of the program. Not to mention – this must be doing wonders for his healthy players' morale right now if he's really echoing these sentiments in the locker room. Confused

undersized_post

PostPosted: 12/10/21 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Most other coaches in the country would surely be thrilled to be able to coach those who suited up for UConn tonight. It feels like there's a true disconnect when he professes his bleak opinion on UConn's current state of the program. Not to mention – this must be doing wonders for his healthy players' morale right now if he's really echoing these sentiments in the locker room. Confused

X__________

PostPosted: 12/10/21 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
"I don't think it's gonna get fixed," [Auriemma] said. "I really don't.

Now, THIS makes me a tad sad. Geno's only a year older than me, and I certainly can understand facing the idea that *we* are no longer in our 30s/40s. The Glory Days are behind us.

The inevitability of this has been illustrated many times over in our game, with Tennessee being the most recent example: no dynasty lasts forever.

That said, I have no doubt UConn still has some stellar seasons ahead; he ain't DEAD yet.

PostPosted: 12/10/21 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Somehow, some way I do not have the ability at this point in time to affect my players to make sure that we're in a better place mentally and physically, to play the kind of basketball we need to play. I've usually been pretty good over the years at making players better. We get really good players coming out of high school, but they get better and better and better every year. And right now, that's not happening."

Am I the only one who reads this as a Freudian slip to where he accidentally admits he's not up to coaching at a high level anymore and the talent has been covering that? It's certainly not out of the question, and all things mighty must fall at some point. I'm taking this quote as we could very well be seeing the beginning of the end of the Auriemma era. At 67, that would be well deserved if he chooses to make that decision in the next few years. Or at least I'm choosing to believe that over him publicly slapping the talent of his 4 and 5 star roster in the face

PostPosted: 12/10/21 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What sucks for the rest of WCBB is no matter how bad UCONN finishes 1-16 seed they will get home court advantage in the Bridgeport regional regardless smh

PostPosted: 12/10/21 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okstateguy wrote:
Quote:
Somehow, some way I do not have the ability at this point in time to affect my players to make sure that we're in a better place mentally and physically, to play the kind of basketball we need to play. I've usually been pretty good over the years at making players better. We get really good players coming out of high school, but they get better and better and better every year. And right now, that's not happening."

Am I the only one who reads this as a Freudian slip to where he accidentally admits he's not up to coaching at a high level anymore and the talent has been covering that? It's certainly not out of the question, and all things mighty must fall at some point. I'm taking this quote as we could very well be seeing the beginning of the end of the Auriemma era. At 67, that would be well deserved if he chooses to make that decision in the next few years. Or at least I'm choosing to believe that over him publicly slapping the talent of his 4 and 5 star roster in the face

+1. My impression of this is he's dropping a hint that he leaves once Bueckers leaves. She seems to be the only player he cares to work with anymore.

WNBA 09 wrote:
What sucks for the rest of WCBB is no matter how bad UCONN finishes 1-16 seed they will get home court advantage in the Bridgeport regional regardless smh

Damn regionality. Then again, UConn has a large, national fanbase behind them so they'll show up anywhere regardless.

PostPosted: 12/10/21 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

I don't know about the rest of WCBB, but it certainly is going to suck for someone to get a 1 seed and get sent to Bridgeport and have to play a lower seed on one of their home courts for a spot in the Final Four.

Ticket sales don't begin to justify such a total screwjob inequity This is supposed to be a fair intercollegiate championship. They're not selling energy drinks or diapers.

acsuc99

PostPosted: 12/10/21 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Where is CTH. Where is everyone. Logged back into this board for first time in months and need to unload on Geno with him!

Where does CTH post now?

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/10/21 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:
Where is CTH. Where is everyone. Logged back into this board for first time in months and need to unload on Geno with him!

Where does CTH post now?

Here. Maybe he'll pm you. Welcome back.
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 12/10/21 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:

Where does CTH post now?

I believe he was one of the casualties when a mod decided to boot posters they had issues with. I dearly miss Cth here along with a few others. I fully support the mods as a group welcoming back some who've been the backbone of women's basketball message boards for decades. Please note I am not pointing a finger at any mod with this message. The entire point is the hope of welcoming back to longtime posters - back to the "hidden" espn board and even the wcbb "newsgroup." I got my tickets to my first FF in Richmond through the wcbb newsgroup in 1994. I even cheered for the Tar Heels...

~rAf
huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 12/10/21 11:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

I don't know about the rest of WCBB, but it certainly is going to suck for someone to get a 1 seed and get sent to Bridgeport and have to play a lower seed on one of their home courts for a spot in the Final Four.

Ticket sales don't begin to justify such a total screwjob inequity This is supposed to be a fair intercollegiate championship. They're not selling energy drinks or diapers.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

This is the same guy who, on these pages, vociferously defended Notre Dame hosting one of the 2014 Regionals on its South Bend campus.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

ucbart

PostPosted: 12/11/21 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Me thinks that Geno was very calculated post game. He put the scrutiny, pressure, ire of the media and fans....squarely on him. Geno has 11 NC's and been coaching for 40 years. He is meticulous in everything he does and I think this is an example of that. I mean, all of twitter is against him-not the players. Him. This message board is against him. Not Christyn or Evina, two senior leaders who seemed like freshman out there against Ga Tech. The media is having a field day with this. ABC/ESPN will surely lead with his comments in the intro to this game. Do we have problems right now? Yes! Is the rest of WCBB loving it? Yes.

But problems 1-4 are in street clothes on our bench.....and all are expected back this season.

Now-I want him to get his head out of his ass, smile, have some joy on the sidelines, and coach these kids the way he can. And, play DeBarry-she is gonna be something.....

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 12/11/21 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Me thinks that Geno was very calculated post game. He put the scrutiny, pressure, ire of the media and fans....squarely on him. Geno has 11 NC's and been coaching for 40 years. He is meticulous in everything he does and I think this is an example of that. I mean, all of twitter is against him-not the players. Him. This message board is against him. Not Christyn or Evina, two senior leaders who seemed like freshman out there against Ga Tech. The media is having a field day with this. ABC/ESPN will surely lead with his comments in the intro to this game. Do we have problems right now? Yes! Is the rest of WCBB loving it? Yes.

But problems 1-4 are in street clothes on our bench.....and all are expected back this season.

Now-I want him to get his head out of his ass, smile, have some joy on the sidelines, and coach these kids the way he can. And, play DeBarry-she is gonna be something.....

Geno has - until this last statement - been throwing current players right under the wheels of the bus and taking none of the blame himself. The fact has always been that when players aren't following the coach's instructions, it's a failure of the coach to reach those players, for whatever reason. The best coaches will always take it oh themselves in public, then keep trying to find the best way to reach players in private.

The play of Williams and Westbrook in particular has been abyssmal this season and their WNBA draft stocks are dropping like the proverbial rock off a cliff. Even though Evina has scored ALL of the 4th quarter points in the two Husky losses, she and Christyn have been far from impactful players on both ends of the court. Their high rankings coming out of high school suggest they are capable of playing better. Nelson-Ododa has underachieved throughout her time at UConn, but is actually playing better than she has previously.

Bottom line is Geno finally taking ownership of the lackluster play of some of his players does take the media eye off them a little. But the way Geno has previously handled this team publicly has contributed to what we see now.

We'll see if Geno is up to the task of getting all these highly ranked players playing UConn basketball. 5 minutes until UConn/UCLA are on national broadcast ABC.

~rAf
myrtle

PostPosted: 12/11/21 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Apparently Paige is considering surgery, which would make 6-8 weeks an unreasonable estimate.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/11/21 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn star Paige Bueckers considering surgery for leg injury

I certainly hope Paige Bueckers is getting second and third opinions from nationally recognized orthopedic knee surgeons, such as at NYC's Hospital for Special Surgery, instead of just relying on Drs. Joyce, Arciero, et al. at the UConn Health Center—who, in my harsh opinion, did not distinguish themselves with the knees of Shea Ralph, Brittany Hunter, Caroline Doty, or Morgan Tuck.
undersized_post

PostPosted: 12/11/21 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
“I don’t think it changes that much,” Auriemma said of the timing. “The original timetable was going to be 6-8 weeks. That won’t change whether there’s surgery, no surgery. Again, each person heals differently. So I’m going by that, if there is surgery, I’m looking at mid-February, late-February at the latest.”

Hm, seems counterintuitive that this is true. But, I am no doctor.

PostPosted: 12/11/21 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

I certainly hope Paige Bueckers is getting second and third opinions from nationally recognized orthopedic knee surgeons, such as at NYC's Hospital for Special Surgery, instead of just relying on Drs. Joyce, Arciero, et al. at the UConn Health Center—who, in my harsh opinion, did not distinguish themselves with the knees of Shea Ralph, Brittany Hunter, Caroline Doty, or Morgan Tuck.

Brittany Hunter did herself no favors with all the partying she did after her injury - at Duke and at UConn.

~rAf
Queenie

PostPosted: 12/11/21 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

If she and/or UConn aren't seeking multiple opinions, they're collectively idiots. HSS isn't far, and isn't the Yale-New Haven system also well respected? As soon as surgery is on the table, you measure at least twice before you cut once.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: