RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn 2021-22 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/07/21 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe she can learn some patience sitting on the bench alongside her buddy Azzi Fudd.

PostPosted: 12/07/21 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some people on the Boneyard, after watching replays seem to think that she injured it jumpin in celebration before she collapsed with no contact. They said after she leaped in celebration she seemed to favior that leg. Not the first time some one has injured themselves celebrating.

PostPosted: 12/07/21 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Queenie wrote:
I am somewhat skeptical about the shortness of that window unless it's the world's tiniest fracture..

Considering she broke it while walking up the court, I’d hope it was small…

It wasn’t just from walking. She must have wanted to make some spectacular last play for the audience. She put a juke move on her defender by sticking her foot forward, but her shoe slid (wet floor?) and it slid to the point where her leg straightened all the way out and her knee locked up. That’s why there was talk of a hyperextended knee.

The way Geno was talking about “doing what’s best for Paige” hints to me that he may be interested in redshirting her depending on how well things go. He says he’s not going to rush her back. A redshirt would mean she could finish her college career with her best friend. Bueckers doesn’t have to rush through college now that she’s getting paid pretty well in college. Maybe she still wants to come back this year, but wouldn’t be surprised if she didn’t.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Howee

PostPosted: 12/07/21 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

'bout the ONLY Bright Side to the possible (worst-case) scenario, is that she might red-shirt and finish her husky career alongside Fudd. Of course, a coupla years is a loooong time for all to remain injury free, but.....it's a possibility

PostPosted: 12/07/21 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Last season didn’t count towards eligibility. Bueckers can stay as long as Fudd can anyway without having to redshirt this season. Or hell, they could both redshirt this season together and stick around that much longer. I highly doubt we see Bueckers and Fudd as part of the 2026 WNBA Draft class five Drafts from now, but it’s still something of a possibility at this point, I guess. If they think they can be more profitable as wcbb stars than actual professionals, who knows.

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/07/21 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe Bueckers has already made comments to the effect that college players should be able to declare for the draft before the current age limit...which makes me think she would be wanting to take that option. But things change. She's young.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/07/21 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I believe Bueckers has already made comments to the effect that college players should be able to declare for the draft before the current age limit...which makes me think she would be wanting to take that option. But things change. She's young.

That’s more of a women deserve the same options as men type of thing. And she would be right. But that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the best choice for her, especially now that female college players are allowed to make money.

She has way more visibility at UConn than she’ll likely have in the WNBA, unless things dramatically change in the WNBA in the next few years. Remember that Player’s Tribune article by Maya where she felt invisible in the WNBA? Big money sponsors love visibility.

Speebs56

PostPosted: 12/07/21 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For those who've not read the Hartford paper about Paige's injury, I've copied/pasted below so anyone who wants can read without dealing with paywall.

Paige Bueckers’ injury: What is a tibial plateau fracture, what does recovery look like and what are the long-term implications?
By ALEXA PHILIPPOU
HARTFORD COURANT |
DEC 07, 2021 AT 5:38 PM

What is a tibial plateau fracture in the first place? How serious is that type of injury, and does Bueckers need to be concerned about any long-term issues concerning her knee?
To answer those questions and more, The Courant spoke to Dr. Michael Miranda, Chief of Orthopedic Trauma at Hartford Hospital, and Jeff Stotts, an injury analyst and certified athletic trainer who has an extensive background covering sports injuries and has his own NBA injury database.
What is a tibial plateau fracture?
In layman’s terms, Stotts describes a tibial plateau fracture as the result of “bones kind of knock[ing] together,” which occurred in this case from Bueckers hyperextending her knee. The plateau refers to the top of the bone, in this case the tibia (a.k.a. the shin bone).
The bone is spongy around the knee joint, Miranda says, allowing the thigh bone and knee bones to typically glide smoothly over each other. But when Bueckers hyperextended her knee, it became a situation of “two really hard objects hitting, and the spongy nature of the bone allows it to get pinched, very much like you’re pinching the rim of a Styrofoam cup, and it stays pinched. That’s what happens with the bone there. … It’s really sort of a gentle crush of the spongy part.”
UConn’s press release on Bueckers’ injury, and the timeline for her return, indicate there was no ligament or soft tissue damage associated with the injury – a “very big thing,” according to Stotts. When he first saw the replay of Bueckers’ injury, her knee hyperextension made him fear it could be an ACL tear.
“Those soft tissue structures [think: ACL, MCL, meniscus] are a little bit more problematic, don’t heal as smoothly as bone, and they often take a little bit longer as well,” Stotts said. “So, the fact that we didn’t hear anything like that, that they’re giving a 6-8 window, is a pretty good indication there’s not anything significantly wrong with those soft tissue structures.”

How common is this injury?
Tibial plateau fractures can occur as part of more traumatic knee injuries – say one where an ACL is also damaged. In that case, the fracture may be viewed as secondary to the more serious ligament damage.
It is a relatively uncommon basketball injury to happen in isolation, though stars Kobe Bryant, Yao Ming and Lindsay Whalen, as well as football player J.J. Watt, are among famous athletes who have dealt with them. Miranda says it’s more common to see the injury with skiers or among people who have suffered motor vehicle accidents or falls from great height.
“That’s kind of why you don’t hear that term, why a lot of people were like ‘wait, what’s a tibial plateau fracture?’” Stotts said. “Everyone knows ACL, everyone knows Achilles. But it does happen. It’s scary to talk about, but maybe not as bad as it could have been.”

How did it happen?
Stotts thought the Bueckers’ injury occurred from “just kind of a weird step.”
“If you think about it, literally hundreds of thousands of moves that she’s made during the course of her season, this is just one move where things didn’t go perfectly,” Miranda added. “I mean, she’s so incredibly graceful. This is a situation where things didn’t go smoothly.”
Watching the replay of Bueckers’ injury, it looks like she went to attempt a jab step as she was bringing the ball up the floor, and her ankle may have turned first before suffering the fracture. It’s possible that the ankle maneuver led to the knee hyperextension, Stotts and Miranda said, as ankle and knee movements are closely linked.

Does a 6-8 week recovery timeframe make sense?
The average recovery time for NBA players who suffered a tibial plateau fracture, according to Stotts’ database, was closer to 10 weeks. In part, a player’s size may determine the severity of the break, as the bigger the player, the more force they put through their knees. Bueckers is obviously smaller than, say, Ming.
Miranda said these injuries should be thought of happening on a spectrum. Some people may not feel less severe impact, a bit more serious they’d just get a little sore, a bit more serious than that they’d experience a bone bruise. The next level of injury could be macro factures or, most seriously, a break where the bone moves out of position – the latter isn’t what UConn is suggesting here.
“What they’re suggesting is that it got to the point where there’s a little crack and [the bone] crushed itself,” Miranda said.
What does recovery look like?
For non-athletes, rest is the most important ingredient to recovery. But for Bueckers, that won’t be as much the case, Miranda said.
“She’s going to start rehabbing this thing as soon as she possibly can, which means that they’re going to first focus on decreasing the swelling, decreasing the inflammation, regaining her motion, all at the same time trying to keep her muscles strong,” Miranda said. “And then the last part of that is also agility and balance. … It’s gonna be a lot of hard work.”
Depending on how UConn approaches her recovery and how much weight bearing she can manage, Bueckers could potentially do some work in the pool and maybe the stationary bike, Stotts added. The degree of the fracture would also determine how quickly she returns to on-court activity.
Are there any long-term implications?
Miranda says there’s a “small but not zero” chance she develops arthritis in her knee later on. Otherwise, she should probably be OK.
“Bone is a durable tissue,” Stotts said. “Once an injury occurs, it is fully capable of returning to its previous strength. Sometimes that isn’t the case with ligaments or muscles. They often might even take longer to get close to that same [strength as before] but they might not ever have the same biomechanical properties as they did before.
“Bone can. And as long as, again, we don’t hear about any accompanying ligament damage or cartilage damage, she should be fine moving forward once this area is healed up and she’s good to go.”

Alexa Philippou can be reached at aphilippou@courant.com

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/07/21 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bueckers may play only one more season of college ball -- two seasons in total -- if the injury keeps her out of play this season and she chooses to enter the 2023 draft, as her age will allow her to do.

I've always figured she was likely a three season WCBB player given her elite skills and age. By going pro as early as possible, she can still rack in the commercial deals plus a bundle of overseas money.

I remain puzzled as to how a young person can crack a the top of the the shinbone (tibial plateau) by such low impact looking event as Bueckers experienced. I hope some further details on diagnosis and prognosis are revealed.

[/img]

Edit: Hadn't seen the new Courant interview when I wrote about learning more, which the interview does provide somewhat.
myrtle

PostPosted: 12/07/21 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's always scary no matter how 'minor.' thanks for the additional info.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 12/07/21 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seems like timeline is about how severe the fracture was, and given the 6-8 week prediction, it must be a minor fraction.

The other good thing about the Covid year is that UConn and Paige don’t need to mKe a decision about redshirting.

I don’t quite understand why people think she will leave early. Her money making opportunities are higher at UConn, her visibility in sports is higher at UConn, and she gets to play with her bff. Wink

She may decide to leave early, but I honestly think it’s more likely she stays a fifth year.

PostPosted: 12/07/21 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Seems like timeline is about how severe the fracture was, and given the 6-8 week prediction, it must be a minor fraction.

The other good thing about the Covid year is that UConn and Paige don’t need to mKe a decision about redshirting.

I don’t quite understand why people think she will leave early. Her money making opportunities are higher at UConn, her visibility in sports is higher at UConn, and she gets to play with her bff. Wink

She may decide to leave early, but I honestly think it’s more likely she stays a fifth year.

It is becoming more common for student athletes to finish their undergraduate degrees in 3 - 3 1/2 years, so its entirely possible Paige is on track to finish her degree early and could enter the WNBA Draft. I don't know much about Paige compared to others on her, but she what I have heard about her, if she were to leave early it wouldn't be because she she is after the money, so whether or not she could make more money staying another year or 2 at UCONN may not factor into her decision to go pro.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/07/21 11:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

According to many medical authorities, including those quoted in the Courant interview, a tibia platform fracture usually happens when the thighbone (femur) smashes into the top of the shinbone (tibia) as when falling from a height or being in a car accident, not usually from a mild hyperextension.

Like many others online, I have wondered whether Bueckers' fracture may have been induced by cumulative knee impacts in the Notre Dame game, starting with earlier plays.

Bueckers was banged onto the the ground numerous times in the game, especially in the fourth quarter. In this first video, especially as shown in the slow motion replays, she takes a hard impact fall onto her left knee after being fouled by Maya Dodson.

https://youtu.be/jkAhTemYlFw?t=3797

On the very next play, Bueckers was knocked onto the floor on her left knee by an elbow-throw by Dara Mabrey while sprinting at high speed, which again can be seen in the slow motion replays.

https://youtu.be/jkAhTemYlFw?t=3864

Could these and other previous knee traumas in the game have cumulatively led up to a minor fracture or bone bruise type of injury, camel-strawed by the hyperextension?
ucbart

PostPosted: 12/08/21 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
Queenie wrote:
I am somewhat skeptical about the shortness of that window unless it's the world's tiniest fracture..

Considering she broke it while walking up the court, I’d hope it was small…

It wasn’t just from walking. She must have wanted to make some spectacular last play for the audience. She put a juke move on her defender by sticking her foot forward, but her shoe slid (wet floor?) and it slid to the point where her leg straightened all the way out and her knee locked up. That’s why there was talk of a hyperextended knee.

The way Geno was talking about “doing what’s best for Paige” hints to me that he may be interested in redshirting her depending on how well things go. He says he’s not going to rush her back. A redshirt would mean she could finish her college career with her best friend. Bueckers doesn’t have to rush through college now that she’s getting paid pretty well in college. Maybe she still wants to come back this year, but wouldn’t be surprised if she didn’t.

If anyone thinks that if she's medically cleared to play in 6-8 weeks and she doesn't come back this season, I've got a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/08/21 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:

If anyone thinks that if she's medically cleared to play in 6-8 weeks and she doesn't come back this season, I've got a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

that's the part that's in question.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/08/21 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ESPN headline this afternoon, byline Mechelle Voepel:

"UConn Huskies women lose another guard; Nika Muhl might be out several weeks with foot injury"

Geno estimated three weeks during his press call today.

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/08/21 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

"UConn Huskies women lose another guard; Nika Muhl might be out several weeks with foot injury"

ouch, that's a real problem for them. I assumed she would be crucial during Paige's absence. Any word on Fudd?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/08/21 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let this be a lesson to you, Geno...USE YOUR BENCH! Use it when you should, not when you just have to.

PostPosted: 12/08/21 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fudd has a stress reaction they’re trying to prevent from turning into a stress fracture.

Here’s Geno from a week ago.
Quote:
"She's not going to be playing for a while," Auriemma said following the team's practice on Wednesday. "There's a beginning of a stress reaction, and it's best to be cautious. It's a long season, and even more importantly, it's a long career for her."

There is no timetable for Fudd's return, but Auriemma said she will be reevaluated in two weeks. During that span, UConn (3-1) has games against Seton Hall, Notre Dame, Georgia Tech and UCLA.

"She's a really tough kid," Auriemma said. "She never wants to sit out. She thinks she can do anything. She tried playing through it and it's just not working."

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 12/08/21 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This reminds me of the 1998-1999 season. There was a stretch where UCONN starting backcourt of frosh Sue Bird and SR Amy Duran were injured as was the first guard off the bench, RS SO Shea Ralph. Plus Swin Cash was out. Huskies took lumps with losses to TN, BC, La Tech while these players recouped. Cobbled enough of a team together to make a strong push before losing a big lead in the Sweet 16 to hot shooting Iowa State.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 12/08/21 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is a good thing for UConn that upcoming opponents Georgia Tech and UCLA have both underperformed this season, in large part due to injuries of their own.

PostPosted: 12/08/21 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
It is a good thing for UConn that upcoming opponents Georgia Tech and UCLA have both underperformed this season, in large part due to injuries of their own.

I wouldn't say GT has "underperformed", I'd say they've been inconsistent.

Last two, they lost to Pudue by 1, then beat UGA by 1, both on the road.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/08/21 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

According to The UConn Blog,

Quote:
The issue stems from the foot injury she suffered last season in the NCAA Tournament opener against High Point. It continued to bother Mühl throughout the summer . . . .

If Muhl has had this injury for almost nine months, I'm not sure why it should be expected to clear up in the next three weeks.

The result of the injuries to Bueckers, Fudd, Muhl and Griffin, plus the transfer loss of Poffenbarger, likely means even more minutes per game will be played by six or seven healthy players—thus increasing their injury probabilities.
linkster

PostPosted: 12/08/21 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

According to The UConn Blog,

Quote:
The issue stems from the foot injury she suffered last season in the NCAA Tournament opener against High Point. It continued to bother Mühl throughout the summer . . . .

If Muhl has had this injury for almost nine months, I'm not sure why it should be expected to clear up in the next three weeks.

The result of the injuries to Bueckers, Fudd, Muhl and Griffin, plus the transfer loss of Poffenbarger, likely means even more minutes per game will be played by six or seven healthy players—thus increasing their injury probabilities.

I'd like to see the empirical evidence that playing too many game minutes has a causal link to Tibia Plateau Fractures. UConn hasn't had an ACL injury in a long time. Tuck lost time as a sophomore but that was an aggravation of a meniscus tear. Other than that UConn has had an enviable record with regard to ACL's.
And yet those who have questioned Geno's use of his bench take Bueckers' mis step as an excuse to say "I told you so". Real classy.

They have 3 two hour practices a week along with individual sessions, weight training and personal time shooting as opposed to maybe an hour and 20 minutes of game minutes a week and we are supposed to buy the wild theory that it's game minutes that led to the injury?

Thank you Dr MacGrady Rolling Eyes

linkster

PostPosted: 12/08/21 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Let this be a lesson to you, Geno...USE YOUR BENCH! Use it when you should, not when you just have to.

Just an excuse for you to have something not nice to say about Gano.

Her injury is always the result of a blow or a series of blows over timeand has nothing to do with muscle fatigue. So it could have occurred walking to the locker room after the game, at Practice the next day or March 15th.

UConn has an enviable record with ACL's which are fatigue related. The facts speak for themselves. When STB finds the last UConn player to have an ACL tear at UConn she'll realize how silly her comment sounds. [/u]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: