RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn 2021-22 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/24/21 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For those of you within driving distance of Springfield, Massachusetts:

2022 UConn commit, Isuneh Brady, a 6-3/4 post and power forward from Cathedral Catholic H.S. in San Diego, CA, currently ranked #3 by Prospects Nation, #4 by ASGR, and #5 by Blue Star and ESPN HoopGurlz, will be on display in a game at the Spalding HoopHall Classic at Blake Arena, Springfield College -- "The Birthplace of Basketball" -- on Friday, January 14, 2022, at 4:30 pm.
linkster

PostPosted: 12/01/21 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.news4jax.com/sports/2021/12/01/stephen-curry-uconn-star-azzi-fudd-team-up-on-sc30-brand/

Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO – Stephen Curry has made Azzi Fudd his Splash Sister.

Curry is bringing the star Connecticut freshman into his SC30 Inc. brand in a unique, wide-ranging partnership that will support her successes both on and off the court as the nation's top recruit builds her collegiate career — a multi-dimensional name, image and likeness contract

PG4ever

PostPosted: 12/02/21 12:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Personally, I don't care for Geno though I respect his coaching ability and what he gets out of players. Just listened to Taylor Rooks' interview with Candace Parker. This segment is about her experience with Geno and USA Basketball. No new information really; it did nothing but reinforce that I'm just not a Geno fan. https://twitter.com/taylorrooks?lang=en

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 12/02/21 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sounds like Connecticut is dealing with some injury attrition early in their season: Azzi Fudd is dealing with a foot injury - a "beginning to a stress reaction", is how Auriemma described it - and will miss 2 weeks "minimum".

And Aubrey Griffin (ankle) will not be available for the weekend after initially looking like she'd be ready to go. Apparently she had a recurrence of discomfort during practice.

So CT is down to 11 active players for the next week or so at the minimum. That shouldn't pose any problem for their game with Seton Hall tomorrow, but they then play #24 Notre Dame Sunday 2 days later. Less than 2 days later, as the ND game is set for noon.....

After ND they play at Georgia Tech and then play UCLA and Louisville.....

ucbart

PostPosted: 12/03/21 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
Personally, I don't care for Geno though I respect his coaching ability and what he gets out of players. Just listened to Taylor Rooks' interview with Candace Parker. This segment is about her experience with Geno and USA Basketball. No new information really; it did nothing but reinforce that I'm just not a Geno fan. https://twitter.com/taylorrooks?lang=en

Would an interview with players that love him change your perception of him? Or do you just not like him because you don't like UCONN or his success? Furthermore, it's long been rumored that Candace Parker is a very difficult teammate, so why is none of the onus on Candace for being left off the 2016 Olympic team? This is where the media being friends and talking heads for the players-is a problem. A real journalist would've said-"Candace, what part did you play in being left off the team? Surely the sole reason isn't just him. You have to take responsibility for your part too."

undersized_post

PostPosted: 12/03/21 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
PG4ever wrote:

Would an interview with players that love him change your perception of him? Or do you just not like him because you don't like UCONN or his success? Furthermore, it's long been rumored that Candace Parker is a very difficult teammate, so why is none of the onus on Candace for being left off the 2016 Olympic team? This is where the media being friends and talking heads for the players-is a problem. A real journalist would've said-"Candace, what part did you play in being left off the team? Surely the sole reason isn't just him. You have to take responsibility for your part too."

Does Geno personally mail you a merit badge every time you accuse someone of anti-UConn bias on here?

PostPosted: 12/03/21 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
Sounds like Connecticut is dealing with some injury attrition early in their season: Azzi Fudd is dealing with a foot injury - a "beginning to a stress reaction", is how Auriemma described it - and will miss 2 weeks "minimum".

And Aubrey Griffin (ankle) will not be available for the weekend after initially looking like she'd be ready to go. Apparently she had a recurrence of discomfort during practice.

So CT is down to 11 active players for the next week or so at the minimum. That shouldn't pose any problem for their game with Seton Hall tomorrow, but they then play #24 Notre Dame Sunday 2 days later. Less than 2 days later, as the ND game is set for noon.....

They have Paige. Even with 4 mediocres around her, they would probably still win most if not all of those games. (see Clark at Iowa) And those around her are all top 10 coming out of HS so it's much better than mediocre. Geno never plays 11 players anyway - more like 7, or possibly 8 on a good day.

ucbart

PostPosted: 12/03/21 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
ucbart wrote:
PG4ever wrote:

Does Geno personally mail you a merit badge every time you accuse someone of anti-UConn bias on here?

No, but it would be cool if he did. And that wasn't me accusing-that was me with a rebuttal to the posters anti-UCONN/Geno bias. I mean, it's clearly stated in that post, "I'm just not a Geno fan."

GEF34

PostPosted: 12/03/21 11:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
PG4ever wrote:

If she is such a difficult teammate and it was apparently a foregone conclusion that she was not going to be on the team or at the very least on the bubble because of this reputation you speak of, why invite her to the camps, why make her the face of the 2016 pre-Olympic media coverage. I'm not understanding what you think she needs to take responsibility for.

Not expecting and answer from you, but people always talks about how she played a role in not being on the team and how she needs to "own" up to her part it in. But if that is the case and she is such a horrible person/teammate why is she even being included in anything. There has to be a reason USA Basketball picked her to go to the Pre Olympic Media day (which became a waste of everyone's time because nothing was useful), which was if I recall correctly a month before the team was announced and there were no camps in between the Media Day and annoucement of the team. So did she all of a sudden become a difficult teammate in that short span that she needs to take ownership of, or what does she need to own up to, to be like yea I did this this and this and that's why I wasn't on the team and I should have seen it coming.

Howee

PostPosted: 12/04/21 12:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
A real journalist would've said-"Candace, what part did you play in being left off the team? Surely the sole reason isn't just him. You have to take responsibility for your part too."

....just like a "real journalist" would ask Geno to explain why he doesn't like Candace? Or how Swin Cash really earned her spot on that Olympic roster? Razz

PostPosted: 12/04/21 12:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:

They have Paige. Even with 4 mediocres around her, they would probably still win most if not all of those games. (see Clark at Iowa) And those around her are all top 10 coming out of HS so it's much better than mediocre. Geno never plays 11 players anyway - more like 7, or possibly 8 on a good day.

That's not what folks were saying all during the off-season. People were really having trouble figuring out the rotational sequence with all those players on roster. They were saying that CT would be able to look ultra-deep teams like South Carolina, Stanford, NC State etc. in the eye. If they are going to just play 7 or 8 on a good day, they will be in trouble against these teams. Which they've had in recent seasons....

To me, this team reminds me sort of the 2019-20 team. That team was still good enough to go 29-3 and end the COVID-shortened season ranked #5 by the AP Poll. That probably would've been good enough to earn them another #1 Seed, and who knows another Final Four appearance, but it would've been a rough road.

The 3 losses CT suffered that season, were against the 3 opponents on their schedule that either was ranked above them or looked them in the eyes as far as team talent. The best wins they had that season was by 10 pts to a 16th-ranked DePaul team on the road, and by 15 pts against a 23rd-ranked Tennessee team at home.

They have Bueckers, but having only one dependable player, while Williams and Westbrook are too inconsistent, and Nelson-Ododa and Edwards are either shrinking violets or slumping sophomores against the top opposition, creates too many questions for a team that expects only national championships. 2019-20 had huge questions, 2020-2021 seemed to step upward with the excitement of Bueckers all season, but it too faltered at the end.

Instead of taking the next inevitable step upward, the team at best thus far has spun its wheels in place. Still a ton of season to go through, and once the conference slate begins there will be plenty of available workshop table to tinker and hammer out the flaws, and perfect the machine. But this was NOT what the expectations were all calling for, before the season began.....

PG4ever

PostPosted: 12/04/21 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
PG4ever wrote:

No, it wouldn't change my mind. I have heard/seen interviews with players. As I said, I respect his coaching ability and what he gets out of players. I just don't care for him as a personality. I don't hate him, just don't care for him. It's him personally, not his or UConn's success. Now, CD I like (from what I can see from the outside as a WBB fan). I'm still a UConn WBB fan though not the way I was back in the day. Just not a Geno fan. I'm sure Geno will be fine though.

PG4ever

PostPosted: 12/04/21 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
PG4ever wrote:

If she is such a difficult teammate and it was apparently a foregone conclusion that she was not going to be on the team or at the very least on the bubble because of this reputation you speak of, why invite her to the camps, why make her the face of the 2016 pre-Olympic media coverage. I'm not understanding what you think she needs to take responsibility for.

Not expecting and answer from you, but people always talks about how she played a role in not being on the team and how she needs to "own" up to her part it in. But if that is the case and she is such a horrible person/teammate why is she even being included in anything. There has to be a reason USA Basketball picked her to go to the Pre Olympic Media day (which became a waste of everyone's time because nothing was useful), which was if I recall correctly a month before the team was announced and there were no camps in between the Media Day and annoucement of the team. So did she all of a sudden become a difficult teammate in that short span that she needs to take ownership of, or what does she need to own up to, to be like yea I did this this and this and that's why I wasn't on the team and I should have seen it coming.

Ditto. This right here.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 12/07/21 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bueckers suffered a tibial plateau fracture and will be out 6-8 weeks.

https://twitter.com/UConnWBB/status/1468244095529328641

PostPosted: 12/07/21 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Bueckers suffered a tibial plateau fracture and will be out 6-8 weeks.

https://twitter.com/UConnWBB/status/1468244095529328641

Tbh one of the better outcomes. No ligament damage is a huge positive for her career. What a freak injury though, but it explains the delayed reaction.

Hopefully everything goes well and we see her at the end of the season.

PostPosted: 12/07/21 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I suspect this long of an absence takes Bueckers out of the running to repeat at National Player of the Year. Not that she (or anyone) is even thinking of that, but I selfishly was excited to see someone potentially take home the hardware all 4 years of her collegiate career.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 12/07/21 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I predict a return to action on 2/6 vs Tenn in Hartford.

Queenie

PostPosted: 12/07/21 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am somewhat skeptical about the shortness of that window unless it's the world's tiniest fracture..

PostPosted: 12/07/21 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I am somewhat skeptical about the shortness of that window unless it's the world's tiniest fracture..

Considering she broke it while walking up the court, I’d hope it was small…

PostPosted: 12/07/21 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

I'm with you. Kobe's tib plateau fx in Dec 2013 didn't require surgery either, they said he'd be out for 6 weeks, and he missed the rest of the season. They have to be really conservative with this type of injury because if it doesn't heal right, it can lead to a serious problem with osteoarthritis.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 12/07/21 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

!Speculation alert! (Feel free to ignore or scold haha.)

1. Honest question... does anyone really think it *only* happened while walking up the court? I was wondering if her bone may have been weakened/stressed by contact/impact (a bump, fall, etc) earlier in the game, at which point it was a ticking time bomb that was liable to fracture sooner or later. Like, can a young, healthy person's bones just fracture without already being under some degree of physical stress/duress?

2. Does "6-8 week recovery" mean a few weeks of healing, a few weeks of rehab, then she's back? Or could it mean heals for 6-8 weeks, then 4 week rehab, then 4 weeks of gradually increasing activity, then easing back into practice for a few minutes at a time, etc.? If the latter, I feel like we might not see her again this season. Sad

PostPosted: 12/07/21 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
!Speculation alert! (Feel free to ignore or scold haha.)

1. Honest question... does anyone really think it *only* happened while walking up the court? I was wondering if her bone may have been weakened/stressed by contact/impact (a bump, fall, etc) earlier in the game, at which point it was a ticking time bomb that was liable to fracture sooner or later. Like, can a young, healthy person's bones just fracture without already being under some degree of physical stress/duress?

2. Does "6-8 week recovery" mean a few weeks of healing, a few weeks of rehab, then she's back? Or could it mean heals for 6-8 weeks, then 4 week rehab, then 4 weeks of gradually increasing activity, then easing back into practice for a few minutes at a time, etc.? If the latter, I feel like we might not see her again this season. Sad

1. A tibial plateau fracture is an impact injury, at least in the young and healthy. It's difficult to see on the video exactly when it happened, because it looked like she took a normal step, had some pain, and then slipped and made a really awkward lunge with her knee hyperextended. Low impact tib plateau fx's happen when the knee is in a bent position, medially, laterally, or in hyperextension and the femur impacts into the tibia. (As opposed to a high impact injury when a car accident smashes everything all to hell.)

2. I'd bet on your latter example. Unless it truly is a teeny, tiny fracture.

PG4ever

PostPosted: 12/07/21 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Would love to see Bueckers back on the court this season (by March/April) but I'm glad Geno is looking out for her long-term well being.

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/07/21 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Queenie wrote:

I'm with you. Kobe's tib plateau fx in Dec 2013 didn't require surgery either, they said he'd be out for 6 weeks, and he missed the rest of the season. They have to be really conservative with this type of injury because if it doesn't heal right, it can lead to a serious problem with osteoarthritis.

online google searches say it is rare for this injury without accompanying injuries so if indeed there is no other damage, she is fortunate. However 'they' say even a simple fracture takes 3-4 months and can be longer if surgery is required..xand those numbers are for 'normal' activity. I hope they don't rush her back before it is completely healed. I want to see her have a long career.

Each one is different of course but my stepson had this injury and it was a year before he could play soccer again.

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/07/21 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

on the bright side, it will give Geno a little more motivation to find out if his benchies can actually play. Looking forward to seeing more of Muhl. She's not perfect, but I love her energy. Do we know when Fudd will be back? It also means she will be thrown immediately into the fire without that cushion. I've been surprised at how 'bad' Edwards has looked. Sophomore slump or just the extra pressure of starting?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: