RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn 2021-22 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/21/22 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:
Bueckers Won’t Return From Knee Injury During Regular Season

https://www.si.com/college/2022/02/21/paige-bueckers-uconn-wont-return-knee-injury-regular-season

Quote:
Bueckers could return for the Big East tournament, though her status is still in doubt for those contests

They really have no reason to bring her in for the rest of the BEast games.

Nor for the BET and first two rounds of the NCAAT. However, if she's ready to play during either of those tournaments, I expect Geno will ease her into games with limited minutes.
linkster

PostPosted: 02/22/22 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The latest Bueckers practice video. Better all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef6UZa4ZyaQ

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/23/22 12:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is a postseason of Bueckers worth more than a potential full season that could be gained by redshirting her?

PostPosted: 02/23/22 12:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Is a postseason of Bueckers worth more than a potential full season that could be gained by redshirting her?

If she redshirted and got an extra year she would would still be a freshman next year. As nice as that is to think about it's more likely that next season will be her last. The only hope I have is her friendship with Fudd. They figured to play 3 years together and they are down to 2 now and only one season if Bueckers goes pro after next season.

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 02/23/22 6:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Queenie wrote:

If she redshirted and got an extra year she would would still be a freshman next year. As nice as that is to think about it's more likely that next season will be her last. The only hope I have is her friendship with Fudd. They figured to play 3 years together and they are down to 2 now and only one season if Bueckers goes pro after next season.

she can already use a covid year, i don't think she would take 6 years

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/23/22 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

and she already commented sometime somewhere that the women should have the choice to go pro whenever they wanted and were able. I interpreted that to mean she would go as soon as she could. But of course everything changes, including our mindsets, over time, so it will be an ongoing discussion point until/when she actually declares.

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 02/23/22 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I doubt she will leave early, ie 3 years, but I don't think she will stay beyond 4 years either.

ucbart

PostPosted: 02/23/22 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

Paige played 6 games and we lost 4 games because of COVID-would she even be eligible for a redshirt. I think there is 0% chance she redshirts. I think she will play in the BET on a minutes restriction and hopefully ready to be full tilt by the start of the NCAAT.

Coyotes

PostPosted: 02/24/22 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Paige Buckets will return against poor St. John's.

Tally24

PostPosted: 02/24/22 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/33363635/paige-bueckers-recovered-knee-surgery-rejoin-uconn-huskies-women-basketball-team-friday-game
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/24/22 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
Paige Buckets™️ will return against poor St. John's.

Made your sentence more legally current.

https://www.si.com/college/2021/08/03/paige-bueckers-trademark-application-uconn-nil-era

Last edited by GlennMacGrady on 02/24/22 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
mercfan3

PostPosted: 02/24/22 6:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

She can take that extra year if she wants anyway because of Covid last year.
I doubt we get her for 6 years.

PostPosted: 02/24/22 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At the risk of being overly grammatical, the UConn announcement doesn't actually say PB will play against St. John's or in any particular game. It says she has been "cleared to return to game action" and "will suit up" for the St. John's game. She was suited up for yesterday's Marquette game but hadn't yet been medically cleared.

Geno has said several times in pressers that once PB is medically cleared, it will be "up to her" to decide when she is game ready—a decision that has both physical and mental (fear/confidence) components. Moreover, Geno doesn't have to play her even if she says she is ready.

So, we'll just have to wait and see what Paige and Geno decide.

There is no chance that Paige will seek a redshirt year for a total of six college years and enter the WNBA at age 24½. Nor five years. I even doubt four. She is eligible to be drafted after next season at age 21½, which would be three years at UConn. Perhaps her decision between three and four years at UConn would depend somewhat on whether UConn wins a NC this season or next.
mercfan3

PostPosted: 02/24/22 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
At the risk of being overly grammatical, the UConn announcement doesn't actually say PB will play against St. John's or in any particular game. It says she has been "cleared to return to game action" and "will suit up" for the St. John's game. She was suited up for yesterday's Marquette game but hadn't yet been medically cleared.

Geno has said several times in pressers that once PB is medically cleared, it will be "up to her" to decide when she is game ready—a decision that has both physical and mental (fear/confidence) components. Moreover, Geno doesn't have to play her even if she says she is ready.

There is no chance that Paige will seek a redshirt year for a total of six college years and enter the WNBA at age 24½. Nor five years. I even doubt four. She is eligible to be drafted after next season at age 21½, which would be three years at UConn. Perhaps her decision between three and four years at UConn would depend somewhat on whether UConn wins a NC this season or next.

Why do you think Paige will choose to leave UConn without a degree and without enough time to really build her brand - since she is getting paid now - for an arguably worse situation.

Her WNBA salary won’t mean much compared to what she’s making off of marketing now.

I think the choice is between 4 and 5 years for her.

PostPosted: 02/24/22 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Why do you think Paige will choose to leave UConn without a degree and without enough time to really build her brand - since she is getting paid now - for an arguably worse situation.

Her WNBA salary won’t mean much compared to what she’s making off of marketing now.

I think the choice is between 4 and 5 years for her.

I have no idea what kind of an academic student Paige is. My thinking is that if she leaves after three years, she can:

1. Make not only WNBA salary in the summer but probably top tier overseas salary in the winter.

2. Make as much or much more in endorsements and NIL money as a pro.

3. Get her degree in three years if she hustles academically as all the current graduate transfers are doing, or she can finish her degree part time or remotely after leaving as so many pros have done, including Diana Taurasi.

4. Avoid the risk of another year of college injury, which could destroy her ability to secure lucrative pro basketball and endorsement/NIL contracts. Same reason a coach will take a valuable player out with 30 seconds left in a quarter.
linkster

PostPosted: 02/24/22 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:

St John's is in for a beating whether or not Bueckers plays.

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/24/22 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:

At this point I am just going to embrace and adapt the mushroom meme from Tumblr: "The fear within me is beyond anything your soul can make. You cannot hurt me in a way that matters."

PostPosted: 02/24/22 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Paige can make more at UConn than the WNBA. Her NIL is estimated at a million+ per year. And realistically she gets more public exposure at UConn than she will at say Indiana.
But seeing how ESPN hasn't got the UConn TV contract and does have the WNBA TV contract we will be reading a lot about how she needs to move on from Voepel et al. Rolling Eyes Wink

linkster

PostPosted: 02/24/22 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
I have no idea what kind of an academic student Paige is.

She had an offer from Stanford so we know she's at least a genius.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/11/22 10:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Patterson named Indiana Miss Basketball.

https://www.wane.com/high-school-sports/homesteads-ayanna-patterson-named-miss-basketball/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
ucbart

PostPosted: 03/12/22 8:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Paige can make more at UConn than the WNBA. Her NIL is estimated at a million+ per year. And realistically she gets more public exposure at UConn than she will at say Indiana.
But seeing how ESPN hasn't got the UConn TV contract and does have the WNBA TV contract we will be reading a lot about how she needs to move on from Voepel et al. Rolling Eyes Wink

You hit the nail, directly on the head.

I liken this to the fact that ESPN hypes up these college gymnastics routines as the best thing ever and makes these ladies appear to be doing things that aren't done anywhere else. Simone Biles and the rest of the elite gymnasts do 1000x harder routines than they do. ESPN can't market Biles and her teammates because NBC has all contracts with national/international gymnastics competitions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: