RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Would women's basketball be taken more seriously if...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
calbearman76

PostPosted: 04/13/21 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hate end of game fouling. A foul should be a bad thing, not a way of catching up in a close game. The 1 and 1 was an extension of the rule that a player fouled should be given 1 shot, but after the 6th foul in a half the player would be given a bonus shot if the first free throw was made. That was changed to 2 shots after the 10th foul because fouling as strategy was getting out of hand. In the NBA their bonus allowed an extra attempt in the case of a miss (either 3 shots to make 2 or 2 shots to make 1). There have been other changes since the early days of basketball trying to properly balance the penalty assessed for committing a foul.

My suggestion would be to have the primary penalty for a foul being that the team gets to inbound the ball again and once a team is in the bonus they also get a free throw. Since there is a shot clock there would still be a reasonable time where a team could try to hold the ball to stop the game from becoming keepaway. It would also speed up the game, particularly the last minute.

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/13/21 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To mitigate the effects of way too many fouls at the end of the game, what about some form of the pro rule where no matter how many team fouls you have if you're not already over the limit, in the last minute or two minutes you only have one to give before the bonus takes effect?

(now with spelling variations)
undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/13/21 11:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Definitely some interesting ideas here.

To me, it seems like the fouls and FT shooting themselves don't take that much time --- it's the officials obsessively reviewing the clock, coaches delaying the inbound and FT shooting with extra team huddles that aren't charged as official timeouts, the officials needing to wait for the TV broadcast to finish whatever 30 second ad they tried to squeeze in, etc. If the refs could just hurry things along, I feel like the fouls and FT shooting themselves wouldn't take as long.

I could be wrong about this but it's just a suspicion.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/14/21 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Every foul given in the end-of-game situations by the losing team -- which I have never seen work unless is it a one or two point lead -- is an INTENTIONAL foul. Everyone knows they are all intentional -- the players, the coaches, the fans, the announcers.

The refs know it, too, so they should simply call them intentional fouls, or whatever the current lingo is. In other words, the fouled team gets technical foul shots and then possession back out of bounds. That'll stop it.
undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/14/21 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Every foul given in the end-of-game situations by the losing team -- which I have never seen work unless is it a one or two point lead -- is an INTENTIONAL foul. Everyone knows they are all intentional -- the players, the coaches, the fans, the announcers.

The refs know it, too, so they should simply call them intentional fouls, or whatever the current lingo is. In other words, the fouled team gets technical foul shots and then possession back out of bounds. That'll stop it.

I agree with this in spirit, even if the official definition of "intentional foul" (Flagrant 1 and Flagrant 2 I think they call it now?) is written in such a way to not apply to this end of game scenario.

For an example of where fouling did indeed work, see the first men's game between Iowa and Minnesota this season. Iowa didn't make FTs, Minnesota made 3s, and Iowa eventually lost the game in OT.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 05/08/21 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/international-3-point-line-distance-proposed-women-s-basketball

Reviving this thread to post this article: https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/international-3-point-line-distance-proposed-women-s-basketball

Quote:
The NCAA Women’s Basketball Rules Committee on Friday proposed moving the 3-point line to the international distance of 22 feet, 1¾ inches, beginning with the 2021-22 season.

Other topics include flopping, instant replay, and coach's challenges. The Committee will discuss the proposed changes on June 3.

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 05/10/21 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One thing that I think will need to be taken into consideration is on the “flopping” or “no contact falling down”. Some girls have stability issues that cause them to roll their ankles or fall down easier than other girls. Paige Bueckers just had her ankle surgery, as did my daughter a few weeks earlier. Hopefully this will be effective, but it will always be a concern, and there are many girls who have this issue.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/10/21 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:
One thing that I think will need to be taken into consideration is on the “flopping” or “no contact falling down”. Some girls have stability issues that cause them to roll their ankles or fall down easier than other girls. Paige Bueckers just had her ankle surgery, as did my daughter a few weeks earlier. Hopefully this will be effective, but it will always be a concern, and there are many girls who have this issue.

While this may be true of some, and I was certainly one of them (still am, for all that, and need surgery as a result but have been putting it off), I take issue with "many". I think a number of girls have been coached on or have learned how to make it look like they've been pushed and they just plain "flop".

PostPosted: 05/10/21 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Part of the problem is that many officials don't call a foul unless someone actually falls and if they don't it's called incidental unless it's contact on the arm while shooting. So now everybody falls. I remember Geno's dislike of Hayes falling. Even the announcers use the phrase "selling it" when a player hits the floor. Even offensive players on drives. As long as conferences hire and pay officials we get different standards of rule interpretation there will continue to be a problem. And I don't believe that the NCAA is capable of running it.
Maybe warning players who fall prior to contact once and then calling a technical. I fear that it will only be visiting players at risk though. Rolling Eyes

Flopping is supposed to a topic in the NCAA's summer meetings.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: