RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

On-the-court demeanor of Gino and Kim M

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snzuluz

PostPosted: 04/03/21 11:00 am    ::: On-the-court demeanor of Gino and Kim M Reply Reply with quote

"I've said all along this year we have a very immature group, not just young," Auriemma said. "When we're high and when we're on top of the world, we think everything's great. When things don't go our way, there's a poutiness about us, there's a feeling sorry for ourselves about us that you don't win championships when you're like that unless you get lucky." - Gene's quote from the game last night...

Isn't it funny, when UConn looses (meaning the entire team) not just the players, Gino NEVER admits maybe he got out coached or his on-the-court demeanor/possible sarcasm towards his players does not work in tense moments?...His game plan was not working and the team did not make ANY adjustments during the game. Maybe spend less time turning around and complaining to Chris Daily, but instead coach the kids.

Kim Mulkey does the same thing...their NON verbals are so discouraging for a fan to see during a game when they Baylor players make a mistake...I can only imagine how that translates to the athletes on the floor. It's one thing to be passionate as a coach, but completely another thing when the time/score situation gets tense, these two coaches negatively react to their players and their mistakes.

Arizona and Stanford players have a calm and cool collective nature on the court, even when they are not playing their best or things do not go their way...look at their coaches on the sideline...calm and cool, yet passionate...teams are an extension of their coaches.

On a side note, it has been amazing the number of times the clock is NOT stopped on the whistle correctly, and time is wasted over and over to make sure the correct time is on the board...this is happening in the men's tournament as well...if it is electronically being done now, go back to the "covered wagon days" of a human being running the clock...the flow of the games has been very choppy, especially at the end of games!

The officiating in the both men's and women's tournaments has been horrible and especially for the women in key moments of EVERY game. Easy to see: over-and-backs - fouls in the act of shooting - double dribbles - the Stanford center at one point grabbed on to the back of the SC jerseys on the fast break attempt down the court near the end of that game and no foul was called - C Williams being fouled out last night when she NEVER touched the Arizona player, etc.

Should be a good national final game, but Stanford needs to play MUCH better (something they have not done in the elite 8 and final 4) to win Sunday. They almost were playing NOT to loose in those two rounds.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/03/21 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And of course you've been an official for many years ...

PostPosted: 04/08/21 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, I officiating basketball, volleyball and softball for many of the 40 years I worked in public and private education in grade levels EC-Grdauate School.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/09/21 9:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snzuluz wrote:
Yes, I officiating basketball, volleyball and softball for many of the 40 years I worked in public and private education in grade levels EC-Grdauate School.

My apologies ... few veteran officials criticize their colleagues because they know how difficult the job is.

PostPosted: 04/09/21 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Officiating is a very hard job, but some of the OBVIOUS missed calls in BOTH the men's and women's tournaments this year, are calls we have not seen before. At that level, THREE officials, and at times the ability to review the call, it was not good.

When I coached on the college level in one game our team had an official who called a 10 second backcourt violation, when that rules was not used on the college level. The other official was not able to talk to this official in changing a call that did not exist. The official who made a call that did not exist in women's basketball at the time, inbounded the ball to other team (10 seconds left in the game), and they scored the winning basket. My only recourse was to see he never officiated in our conference again, once I presented our commissioner the game tape.

I have been on both ends as an official and as a head coach.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/09/21 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snzuluz wrote:
Officiating is a very hard job, but some of the OBVIOUS missed calls in BOTH the men's and women's tournaments this year, are calls we have not seen before. At that level, THREE officials, and at times the ability to review the call, it was not good.

The only call that stuck out as something unprecedented was the non-call on Texas A&M's back court violation against Troy. Never seen something like that not called.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: