RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Australian Opals 2021
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Olympics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/31/21 4:33 am    ::: Australian Opals 2021 Reply Reply with quote

The bodysuit is back!

https://www.olympics.com.au/news/opals-bodysuit-to-make-olympic-return-at-tokyo-2020/

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/blast-from-the-past-bodysuits-for-australia-s-opals-20210331-p57fpc.html

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pSy0yJTxi9I" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PostPosted: 05/06/21 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Liz Cambage threatens to boycott Olympics over team photo

Quote:
Liz Cambage says she will “sit out” the Tokyo Olympics after taking issue with the athletes chosen to represent Australia in promotional shoots ahead of the Games.

Cambage, 29, who has played for our national women’s basketball team the Opals at the past two Olympics, made the threat on Instagram on Thursday in a series of posts.

She shared two images — one of athletes showing off Australia’s uniform for the Games and another promoting the official underwear sponsor of the team — she said were examples of whitewashing and did not represent the diverse backgrounds of Australia’s athletes.

“If I’ve said it once I’ve said it a million times, HOW AM I MEANT TO REPRESENT A COUNTRY THAT DOESN’T EVEN REPRESENT ME,” Cambage wrote.

The second image included Indigenous Rugby Sevens player Maurice Longbottom but Cambage wrote: “Also fake tan doesn’t equal diversity.”
“Y’all do anything to remove POC (People of Colour) from the forefront when it’s black athletes leading the pack,” she added.

“Until I see y’all doin more @AusOlympicTeam Imma sit this one out.”

https://www.news.com.au/sport/olympics/liz-cambage-threatens-to-boycott-olympics-over-team-photo/news-story/79bbf4e1bd7fb3fe0d48f85c41b865ff

PostPosted: 05/06/21 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

😧🤔 It would be a bit stunning if she were to follow through on her word... It would also be a big blow to the Opals' chances at going far in the Games obviously. But, does Australia in general care about how well the Opals do? Is there historically a lot of hype surrounding the Opals during Olympic season?

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/06/21 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
😧🤔 It would be a bit stunning if she were to follow through on her word... It would also be a big blow to the Opals' chances at achieving obviously. But, does Australia in general care about how well the Opals do? Is there historically a lot of hype surrounding the Opals during the Olympic seasons?

The olympics used to be a pretty big deal for aussies. And while "we" generally don't care at all about basketball - let alone women's basketball - we do traditionally get behind anyone at the olympics who is doing well. Shooting, equestrian, ... we'll jump on any bandwagon. But that part happens once the games are underway.
Ultimately I suspect that 99% of aussies wouldn't even notice if the Opals crashed out quickly.

Different story in basketball circles of course, where 20+ years of punching above their weight has given the women's team a lot of respect.

I don't know if this is a calculated decision by Liz - who knows how important she is to the team's chances of a medal. Or is she just in an irritable mood today. Calling an indigenous athlete "fake tan" doesn't really indicate that a lot of thought went into her rant. That's actually really poor form by her.
Maybe she's just angling for an excuse to stay with the Aces all summer. Who knows.

[ETA] I should also add that while the Opals are not really on the public radar, plenty of people know who Cambage is thanks to her regular presence in the news. Thus the article above currently being deemed worthy of front page status on news.com.au atm

PostPosted: 05/06/21 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The 'fake tan' line is unreal. Exactly the kind of comment that would make her explode into one of these rants, and she chucks it in herself in the middle of said rant.

Undercuts that on some level, she does have a bit of a point. Whoever put together those photoshoots is an idiot. Think of how many tiny little colleges manage to put out brochures where there's always a photo on the cover of every possible colour, creed and religious faith they can possibly source from the students and faculty. Meanwhile a massive organisation like the Australian Olympic Committee, from a country that has a seriously chequered history with race, doesn't think to make their group images a bit more multi-cultural? Yikes.

PostPosted: 05/06/21 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The way the paragraph is set up it appears Camabge's fake tan line is about the indigenous rugby player, but it is also possible she wasn't referencing that player with that statement and was actually saying white Olympians with fake tans does not equal diversity, and that the author of the article referenced the indigenous player in the sentence before writing that quote to make it appear that Cambage was referencing that player specifically as an attack that would make her look bad and under cut her point.

Last edited by J-Spoon on 05/06/21 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
root_thing

PostPosted: 05/06/21 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Calling an indigenous athlete "fake tan" doesn't really indicate that a lot of thought went into her rant.

Shocked

PostPosted: 05/06/21 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Calling an indigenous athlete "fake tan" doesn't really indicate that a lot of thought went into her rant.

Shocked

I don't know how to quote things but having read that part multiple times it seems like that is what the author is implying but there isn't a direct correlation between the fact that there is an indigenous player in the 2nd photo and Cambage's quote.

In recent years I have become suspicious enough of media to believe that the article author could have simply corrolated those two statements with out an actual corrolation.

The actual quote from the article is

The second image included Indigenous Rugby Sevens player Maurice Longbottom but Cambage wrote "Also fake tan doesn't equal diversity".

It doesn't say when it was pointed out to Cambage that there was an indigenous player in the second photo she responded "Also fake tan doesn't count" and it would seem much more likely she would say something more akin to "1 in 20 and you call that representation?!"

It also seems kind of strange that she would make a "fake tan" comment about an indigenous athlete while also shouting Cathey Freeman an indigenous athlete.

In fact the reference to the indigenous player is made by the author and doesn't seem to be from Cambage's rant, there is nothing in Cambage fake tan quote that indicates she was speaking about the rugby player in question and the white athletes in the two photos in general.

I could be wrong but it feels to me like an attempt to put the rest of her point in a bad light. Is it possible it was a direct reference, yes, bu I would think the author would have put in the direct evidence. If it was a direct reference to the indigenous player why wouldn't the author say "when someone commented about

Last edited by J-Spoon on 05/06/21 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/06/21 11:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I don't know how to quote things but having read that part multiple times it seems like that is what the author is implying but there isn't a direct correlation between the fact that there is an indigenous player in the 2nd photo and Cambage's quote.

In recent years I have become suspicious enough of media to believe that the article author could have simply corrolated those two statements with out an actual corrolation.

Quote:
The second image included Indigenous Rugby Sevens player Maurice Longbottom but Cambage wrote "Also fake tan doesn't equal diversity".

It doesn't say when it was pointed out to Cambage that there was an indigenous player in the second photo she responded "Also fake tan doesn't count" and it would seem much more likely she would say something more akin to "1 in 20 and you call that representation?!"

In fact the reference to the indigenous player is made by the author and doesn't seem to be from Cambage's rant, there is nothing in Cambage fake tan quote that indicates she was speaking about the rugby player in question and the white athletes in the two photos in general.

I could be wrong but it feels to me like an attempt to put the rest of her point in a bad light. Is it possible it was a direct reference, yes, bu I would think the author would have put in the direct evidence. If it was a direct reference to the indigenous player why wouldn't the author say "when someone commented about

Liz picked 2 unrelated photos to use in the first 2 of her instagram stories (upon which this whole thing is based). The first photo is from a Jockey (underwear company that sponsors the Aus. olympic team) shoot, and the second photo is from the official Aus olympic team's social media. Her stories are still visible btw ... it's a sequence of half a dozen or so photos & video clips.
Liz picked that 2nd photo and put that "fake tan" caption onto it.
If she wasn't making the direct link between Longbottom's presence in the photo and "fake tan", then what is the alternate explanation for those choices?

Last edited by Luuuc on 05/06/21 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/06/21 11:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Quote:

Liz picked 2 unrelated photos to use in the first 2 of her instagram stories (upon which this whole thing is based). The first photo is from a Jockey (underwear company that sponsors the Aus. olympic team) shoot, and the second photo is from the official Aus olympic team's social media.
Liz picked that 2nd photo and put that "fake tan" caption onto it.
If she wasn't making the direct link between Longbottom's presence in the photo and "fake tan", then what is the alternate explanation for those choices?

I don't know enough about the athlete in question but I assumed she was referencing the tan white people.

But I admit I could be wrong.

Last edited by J-Spoon on 05/06/21 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
undersized_post

PostPosted: 05/06/21 11:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

Shocked

It also seems kind of strange that she would make a "fake tan" comment about an indigenous athlete while also shouting Cathey Freeman an indigenous athlete.

The author is referencing Cambage's instagram story. Said story shared this post with the caption "also fake tan doesn't equal diversity." So it is clear that Cambage was specifically referencing that photo. But, as you point out, the author of the article in question is doing some interpretive work in inferring who or what in the photo Cambage was specifically talking about.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/07/21 12:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Having looked closer at the whole thing, looked at the instagram posts and re-read the article multiple times I feel less secure in my interpretation but I still find it very possible.

There are some very tan white people in that photo.

Also maybe I am giving Cambage too much benefit of the doubt but to be making a statement about diversity in support of people of color to then turn around and single out the only person of color in the two photos and mock or question their ethnicity seems extremely counter-intuitive on her part.

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/07/21 12:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is it possible that Cambage doesn't know Maurice Longbottom is Indigenous and actually thought he was a white person with a tan -- fake or otherwise?

PostPosted: 05/07/21 3:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Is it possible that Cambage doesn't know Maurice Longbottom is Indigenous and actually thought he was a white person with a tan -- fake or otherwise?

No she just made another post that it wasnt about him. She apologised to him but that she was talking about the rest of the people in the picture.
And yeah i see a lot of white people with with fake tans. Apparently the Olympics committee already issued an apology but she said that those are just words. She wants to see some actions.

Good on her!

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/07/21 8:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yep, the Aus Olympic Committee issued this response

Quote:
The athletes made available to Jockey could and should have better reflected the rich diversity of athletes who represent Australia at the Olympic Games.

The AOC does however have a very proud history of celebrating and promoting diversity in all its forms. From Indigenous reconciliation, people of colour, gender equality and all forms of diversity, the AOC is rightly proud of its record.

Tomorrow the Annual General Meeting will consider a change to the AOC Constitution which will ensure Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island representation on our Athletes’ Commission. Next month we will launch our Reflect Reconciliation Action Plan following lengthy consultation with our Indigenous Advisory Committee.

Our Olympic Team for Tokyo, as it did in Rio, will consist of more women than men.

We proudly defend our track record on diversity and there will be further photoshoots that reflect our broad diversity of athletes.

With regard to this photoshoot, however, we acknowledge while proud of the athletes involved and proud of our association with Jockey, it should have better reflected the diversity of our Team.

The Olympic Charter commits us all to oppose any form of discrimination.

... and as Michelle said, Liz responded to it straight away, saying the words are meaningless, show me actions.
So we'll see what happens next.
I'm guessing a lot of calls were made to non-white olympians this afternoon to fast-track the first of those further photoshoots.

PostPosted: 05/08/21 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here is an article that gives additional quotes that make it clear she was not dissing indigenous people.

https://sports.yahoo.com/olympics-wnba-liz-cambage-threatens-olympic-boycott-in-calling-out-whitewashed-australian-promo-photo-173915702.html

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/10/21 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Update:
Quote:
“For everyone so desperately wondering what my decision is for the Opals, I’m in baby. I’m in baby! I’m in! Wooooo!” she said in a video uploaded to her Instagram story on Tuesday.
“How can I sit out when we have the bodysuits back? I’m going to look so good in it.
“I’m going to play with my sisters that I’ve been playing with since I was a wee little thing and I’m going to ball out for all those young brown kids back in Australia watching me, baby. I’m going to do it for you!”

https://www.news.com.au/sport/olympics/liz-cambage-calls-herself-a-psycho-bh-makes-final-call-on-olympic-boycott/news-story/f7b54b5076ff8431fcc76d58d22779f7

PostPosted: 05/10/21 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So. It essentially boils down to this:

Liz Cambage on May 6 wrote:
Australia, wake the fuck up! Mad I'm not playing these games no more, I'm not! Evil or Very Mad

Liz Cambage on May 10 all but wrote:
G'day! Very Happy Actually I am playing [in] these Games! Surprised See y'all in Tokyo! Mr. Green

With a bonus signature soundbite:

Liz Cambage on May 10 literally wrote:
I am such a narcissist 😤I am such a psycho bitch 🤪

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/25/21 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Opals Olympic team announced

Rebecca Allen
Elizabeth Cambage
Katie Ebzery
Cayla George
Tessa Lavey
Tess Madgen
Ezi Magbegor
Leilani Mitchell
Jenna O'Hea
Alanna Smith
Stephanie Talbot
Marianna Tolo

https://australia.basketball/blog/2021/05/26/opals-named-for-tokyo-2020-australian-olympic-team/

PostPosted: 05/25/21 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anything you'd consider a big surprise there, Luuuc? No one I've never heard of, but outside of the naturalised players who are forced out by rule I'm not sure any 'snubs' would jump out at me.

Bit surprised they cut it to 12 so early. I think that makes them the first.

PostPosted: 05/25/21 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No flagrant snubs, but it's very much a safe team of her favourites.
Players like George, Lavey, Madgen are quite replaceable, and there's the usual debate of which naturalised player gets picked out of Mitchell & Whitcomb.

It's a meh team
But realistically Sandy gets a pass because there have been no opportunities to give other players (such as Heal, Rocci, Nicholson, Kunek, Blicavs, Aokuso) any time at international level to earn her trust.

PostPosted: 05/25/21 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh, I just saw that they have also named 2 "reserves" which is a new one.
Shyla Heal & Sara Blicavs.

PostPosted: 05/25/21 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Will the team be fully vaccinated before going to Japan ?

awhom111

PostPosted: 05/29/21 11:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I suppose it fits this thread best. It looks like Vanessa Panousis is switching to Greece for senior national team play.
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/12/21 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Where's Lavey?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: