RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

#3 Arizona vs #1 Connecticut - 4/02/21
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
Arizona
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
Connecticut
83%
 83%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 24

Author Message
GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 6886
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/21 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richly deserved trap win from beginning to end by Arizona, who will have thousands of new fans for the next two days.

Disappointing night for the UConn nation but, in retrospect, the team and especially Paige Bueckers exceeded reasonable expectations this season. Next season may be better.
undersized_post



Joined: 01 Mar 2021
Posts: 960
Location: midwest/indiana/iowa


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/21 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe an unpopular opinion: UConn would have won this game if Geno had more confidence in ONO.


scullyfu



Joined: 01 Jan 2006
Posts: 8564
Location: Niagara Falls


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/21 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the huddle after the game, you could see Adia flipping off someone & the team cracking up. I’m thinking she was talking about them being left out of the video & that the ncaa could fuck off. Schweet! Don’t disrespect the Cats, bitches. LOL



_________________
i'll always bleed Storm green.
Stormeo



Joined: 14 Jul 2019
Posts: 2929
Location: Seattle, WA


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/21 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We have an 🗣ALL PAC-12 WOMEN’S FINAL

Already the best collective season in Pac women’s & men’s basketball history. Very Happy FIGHT ME ON IT



_________________
"It's not a game of 'how to', it's a game of 'when to.'" –Sue Bird, on basketball but probably also life


Last edited by Stormeo on 04/02/21 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Milks26



Joined: 25 Mar 2021
Posts: 299



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/21 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's what I'm talking about AZ - whoop their a*s



_________________
~The refs only look out for some~
Stormeo



Joined: 14 Jul 2019
Posts: 2929
Location: Seattle, WA


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/21 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also, when Adia was genuinely complimenting UConn in the postgame interview but one part came out as, to paraphrase, “UConn’s good at stealing games” BYE LMAO



_________________
"It's not a game of 'how to', it's a game of 'when to.'" –Sue Bird, on basketball but probably also life
undersized_post



Joined: 01 Mar 2021
Posts: 960
Location: midwest/indiana/iowa


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/21 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Also, when Adia was genuinely complimenting UConn in the postgame interview but one part came out as, to paraphrase, “UConn’s good at stealing games” BYE LMAO


Laughing Laughing Laughing


Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 6565



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/21 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The ONE and ONLY time I want UConn to win and the play like shit.

Amazing.

Come on ARIZONA!!!!



_________________
"The biggest antidote to his poison is the vote.” — Nancy Pelosi

"Our democracy is designed to speak truth to power." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

"If this guy can be Senator, you can do anything." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 6377
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/21 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Is this a direct result of UConn's weak schedule? I know they played a few tough OOC games but still... maybe over-confident?


I said it in the first page there is no cake walk for Freshman. They didn’t look like freshmen the whole season, but did tonight - as happens.

It was too much to expect Paige to do as a freshman what Diana did as a junior and senior.


Some older players did not step up either. Looking at you, Westbrook.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
taropatch



Joined: 24 Feb 2009
Posts: 784
Location: Kau Rubbish Dump


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/21 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Holy cow! I can't believe this. Wasn't that enthused about a UConn-Stanford final but now I will be watching the title game, pulling for the Wildcats. The win itself is like a 30 point blowout over Geno's squad. And the refs ... NM



_________________
I'm looking out the window, and the trucks won't stop coming (thank you, Sadie)
tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 8480



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/21 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Is this a direct result of UConn's weak schedule? I know they played a few tough OOC games but still... maybe over-confident?


I think playing a non-P5 regular season schedule is a negative for them. Although having said that, they never have played in one . But at least they used to have to play Notre Dame and Rutgers in season. I think Boston College even had some good teams back in the old Big East days.


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 62935
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/21 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
So, who was the last team that wasn't UT or UConn to win back-to-back?


USC is the only other school that has won back-to-back



_________________
The power of the police to fulfill their functions and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and behavior, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect
Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 16253
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/21 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know how much that absolute trash fifth foul called on Williams affected the game. But it was absolutely trash and should have been Muhl's foul, and the fact that they reviewed it and determined that it was Williams' foul was hilariously dumb.

But wow. Arizona's defense. I'm still not sold on McDonald on the next level, but now it's only because of her size. Her defense was amazing, and she's so crafty.

I'm thrilled for the state of the game and the glory of chaos. But I'm also thrilled for the Pac-12 fans and their camaraderie, the whole mindset of #BackThePac that brings y'all together to support each other.



_________________
"The plan is insane. You are insane… I'll need some pants."
mercfan3



Joined: 23 Nov 2004
Posts: 18948



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/21 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Is this a direct result of UConn's weak schedule? I know they played a few tough OOC games but still... maybe over-confident?


I said it in the first page there is no cake walk for Freshman. They didn’t look like freshmen the whole season, but did tonight - as happens.

It was too much to expect Paige to do as a freshman what Diana did as a junior and senior.


Some older players did not step up either. Looking at you, Westbrook.


Westbrook was significantly better than ONO.

Which, I know I’ve been on this the whole season - but seriously, for next year..she needs to come off the bench.

And I usually agree with Geno and starting doesn’t matter, minutes does..but starting her means she starts against the opposing best big player..I think in big games, she’d be better off going against bench post players.

That being said - ONO and Westbrook played how they usually do in big games. Williams appears to have become a consistent player, but it was always going to come down to whether Paige and Aaliyah played well enough to win, and depending on a freshman in the final four ends like this often. As I said, it’s a UConn tradition for our greatest players. Laughing



_________________
“Anyone point out that a Donald Trump anagram is ‘Lord Dampnut’”- Colin Mochrie
elsie



Joined: 08 Apr 2016
Posts: 210



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/21 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

you think that maybe they'll throw a final four somewhere in the west once in a while????? we play great bb out here.


TechDawgMc



Joined: 12 Aug 2010
Posts: 314
Location: Temple, TX


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/21 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
So, who was the last team that wasn't UT or UConn to win back-to-back?


USC is the only other school that has won back-to-back


*NCAA title.

La Tech won back to back. The first one was just AIAW

And then there’s ODU, etc


Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 13620
Location: OREGON (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/21 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Interesting to see who the 3 are that have picked Zona so far Laughing


I'm proud to say I was one of 'em! Cool Hey....why NOT?????

Amazingly clever game plan by Adia. Kudos to Arizona for a well-won battle, of David slaying Goliath.

Now: ALL PAC12 FINAL! (First ever??)



_________________
Oregon: Go Ducks!
"Inévitablement, les canards voleront"
Tally24



Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Posts: 2452
Location: Baton Rouge


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/21 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wasn’t able to watch the game because my mom guilted me into coming home for a crawfish boil.

Kudos to Arizona, just looking at the box score and the game cast, it seems like they controlled the game from the jump. Did it feel like the 2011 ND-UConn final four?

Alas, there’s always next year. Super happy for Adia and the whole program! I missed her as a player because I was 4 years old (lol), and now that she’s away from Dick, I’m a huge fan. 😉

Looking forward to the finals!
Iluvacc



Joined: 11 Jun 2005
Posts: 3288



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/21 11:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
I'm starting to think this is building toward a trap game for UConn. Too much Bueckers hype. Too much diminution of Arizona. Too much "easy win for UConn" in the air. Maybe. Maybe not.


Do you also happen to have this week's lotto numbers?


TheWildJacko



Joined: 06 Mar 2007
Posts: 294



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/21 11:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I don't know how much that absolute trash fifth foul called on Williams affected the game. But it was absolutely trash and should have been Muhl's foul, and the fact that they reviewed it and determined that it was Williams' foul was hilariously dumb.

But wow. Arizona's defense. I'm still not sold on McDonald on the next level, but now it's only because of her size. Her defense was amazing, and she's so crafty.

I'm thrilled for the state of the game and the glory of chaos. But I'm also thrilled for the Pac-12 fans and their camaraderie, the whole mindset of #BackThePac that brings y'all together to support each other.


Yeah, but now this final might break my brain. Like, do I root for Stanford because I'm a Stanford fan, or do I root for AZ because I'm rooting for the Pac-12 overall?


RP



Joined: 17 Jul 2010
Posts: 1285



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/21 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As time has passed, it becomes more and more clear just how ridiculous what Breanna Stewart accomplished truly is, and why she stands above the rest. It was almost easy to overlook her given what UConn accomplished in the years immediately before her, but the truth is UConn wouldn't have won a national championship at all in her era if she decided to go elsewhere.


ThreeBall25



Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Posts: 2760



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/21 11:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Maybe an unpopular opinion: UConn would have won this game if Geno had more confidence in ONO.


Yeah, she did a great job of chucking up layups from her hip resulting in bricks. All she needed was confidence. Rolling Eyes


huskiemaniac



Joined: 24 Nov 2004
Posts: 767
Location: NE CT


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/21 11:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to the Cats- they controlled the game from the opening tip and were the better/aggressor team on all counts. Good luck in the final.

Always a drag to lose your final game, but overall it was a pretty good season for UConn and the team accomplished as much as I hoped for back in November.

Tonight's loss was a lesson and hopefully a stepping stone to bigger and better things.




Here's hoping the final will be closer than the 2 previous Arizona/Stanford meetings.


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 28890



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/21 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ThreeBall25 wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
Maybe an unpopular opinion: UConn would have won this game if Geno had more confidence in ONO.


Yeah, she did a great job of chucking up layups from her hip resulting in bricks. All she needed was confidence. Rolling Eyes


ONO was terrible. She's a bit like Charli Collier in that she looks great against weak teams but not so great when there is opposition. I think Edwards will become much better than her. And as I mentioned earlier, Arizona's weakness is their posts - but surprisingly UConn couldn't take advantage of that.


ThreeBall25



Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Posts: 2760



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/02/21 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Is this a direct result of UConn's weak schedule? I know they played a few tough OOC games but still... maybe over-confident?


I said it in the first page there is no cake walk for Freshman. They didn’t look like freshmen the whole season, but did tonight - as happens.

It was too much to expect Paige to do as a freshman what Diana did as a junior and senior.


Some older players did not step up either. Looking at you, Westbrook.


Westbrook was significantly better than ONO.

Which, I know I’ve been on this the whole season - but seriously, for next year..she needs to come off the bench.

And I usually agree with Geno and starting doesn’t matter, minutes does..but starting her means she starts against the opposing best big player..I think in big games, she’d be better off going against bench post players.

That being said - ONO and Westbrook played how they usually do in big games. Williams appears to have become a consistent player, but it was always going to come down to whether Paige and Aaliyah played well enough to win, and depending on a freshman in the final four ends like this often. As I said, it’s a UConn tradition for our greatest players. Laughing


Oh, so no more "need Muhl to win" like you've been saying for the past couple of weeks? You have stuck to that narrative and it clearly didn't work tonight.


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin