RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

OT - Men's Tourney Official Collapses During Game

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/30/21 7:53 pm    ::: OT - Men's Tourney Official Collapses During Game Reply Reply with quote

Seems to be doing Ok. Had to be scary. USA Today has a picture of him laying on his back with his arms up beside his head. That one looked really scary. He actually looks really pissed being wheeled off the court. Hopefully that's a good sign.

https://www.wishtv.com/sports/college-basketball/official-collapses-at-ncaa-mens-tournament-game-between-gonzaga-usc/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
pilight

PostPosted: 03/30/21 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hope it's not serious

They have alternate officials this late in the tournament so they still have three on the floor. The game isn't close, so any differences between the refs should have little impact.

Video, if you want it:

https://twitter.com/GoBearcatsUC/status/1377041399686782981

PostPosted: 03/30/21 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I saw video of him the play before and he was stumbling around, having a hard time standing up. Hopefully we learn that he was just dehydrated or had low blood sugar or something. But man, that was scary to watch. And right in front of the Gonzaga bench to boot.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/09/21 8:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Turns out, his fall saved his life. Well, the fall, his ref buddies, Dr. Katie Trammel at IU Methodist Hospital and anybody else who took part in his care.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2021/04/09/ncaa-tournament-referee-bert-smith-collapse-game-saved-life/7148461002/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/09/21 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Turns out, his fall saved his life. Well, the fall, his ref buddies, Dr. Katie Trammel at IU Methodist Hospital and anybody else who took part in his care.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2021/04/09/ncaa-tournament-referee-bert-smith-collapse-game-saved-life/7148461002/

Thank you for posting that. Reading this was a punch to the gut. About 18 months ago, I went into the hospital for diverticulitis, and during the scan they did, they happened to find three blood clots in my lungs. At that point, I had no symptoms from them, but they could have caused major complications or death had they not been found. Tests uncovered that I have a genetic mutation that makes me more likely to experience clots. Like Smith, I would have never known without the trip to the hospital.

Scary business. I am so glad that when he collapsed it was in a situation where he basically had no choice but to get medical attention.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/09/21 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Thank you for posting that. Reading this was a punch to the gut. About 18 months ago, I went into the hospital for diverticulitis, and during the scan they did, they happened to find three blood clots in my lungs. At that point, I had no symptoms from them, but they could have caused major complications or death had they not been found. Tests uncovered that I have a genetic mutation that makes me more likely to experience clots. Like Smith, I would have never known without the trip to the hospital.

Scary business. I am so glad that when he collapsed it was in a situation where he basically had no choice but to get medical attention.

You're welcome. Hopefully things are better for you now.

I have been wondering why the docs at the game didn't insist he get checked out. I mean, SOMETHING caused him to collapse!

Thankfully his buddies convinced him to go to the hospital and Dr. Trammel did her job by asking the simple question of why did he fall/collapse.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/09/21 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yes, good to know.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/09/21 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

nvm dbl post

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: