RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Do You Like the Local Region/Bracket Names?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/29/21 9:05 pm    ::: Do You Like the Local Region/Bracket Names? Reply Reply with quote

The Alamo, River Walk, Hemisfair and Mercado regions? Should they keep them - named for FF host city landmarks of course?

I like them. The directional names really don't mean that much, so why not have some fun with it, and bonus, get the host city some pub.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
blaase22

PostPosted: 03/29/21 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it will be good when a city with actual
landmarks hosts it.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/29/21 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In this unusual situation, I like it. For a regular tournament, I don't; it would overshadow the regional hosts, and sow confusion as to which regional is where. I mean, we could nickname the subregionals after landmarks in the regional cities, but then we're just getting silly.

(now with spelling variations)
pilight

PostPosted: 03/29/21 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really and truly don't care

PostPosted: 03/29/21 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I had no idea what they meant. It reminded me of the Big Ten doing the Legends divisions a few years ago.

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/30/21 6:58 am    ::: Re: Do You Like the Local Region/Bracket Names? Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
The Alamo, River Walk, Hemisfair and Mercado regions? Should they keep them - named for FF host city landmarks of course?

I like them. The directional names really don't mean that much, so why not have some fun with it, and bonus, get the host city some pub.

I don't care that much, but I can never remember who was in what region.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/30/21 7:21 am    ::: Re: Do You Like the Local Region/Bracket Names? Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Does having directional names help?

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/30/21 7:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
In this unusual situation, I like it. For a regular tournament, I don't; it would overshadow the regional hosts, and sow confusion as to which regional is where. I mean, we could nickname the subregionals after landmarks in the regional cities, but then we're just getting silly.

Good point I hadn't thought of. You've got to keep those cities happy if you want them to continue to bid to host.

So thinking of a solution to that (and derailing this thread a little into something else I've been wondering about), what about putting the first and second round games on home courts, and the Sweet Sixteen games to the Final in one host city? Get rid of regional sites that, although they provide accessibility to local fans, really affect, IMO, who goes to the FF?

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/30/21 7:44 am    ::: Re: Do You Like the Local Region/Bracket Names? Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Yes-I don't know why, but it does. But the women haven't used directional names in years. It's been "the Albany regional" or the "Portland regional" for a long time.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/30/21 8:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

So thinking of a solution to that (and derailing this thread a little into something else I've been wondering about), what about putting the first and second round games on home courts, and the Sweet Sixteen games to the Final in one host city? Get rid of regional sites that, although they provide accessibility to local fans, really affect, IMO, who goes to the FF?

Yes I totally agree with this. I think back to 2019 where 1-seed Mississippi State had to play 2-seed Oregon in Portland Oregon. Very unfair for the lower seed to have that geographical advantage.

Another example is how my 2-seeded Iowa squad had to play 3-seeded NC State in Greensboro North Carolina because it was the Greensboro regional. Anyway, Iowa won nonetheless. Twisted Evil

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/30/21 12:54 pm    ::: Re: Do You Like the Local Region/Bracket Names? Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Not really, since placements are pretty arbitrary.

PostPosted: 03/30/21 4:24 pm    ::: Re: Do You Like the Local Region/Bracket Names? Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Locational names help. I don't want to have to remember which cutesy name is tied to which city when I'm buying tickets. (I mean, I'm probably not buying tickets to any regionals any time soon but that's because all my local teams are trying to stab me in the heart right now)

(now with spelling variations)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: