RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

#2 Baylor vs #1 Connecticut - 3/29/21
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Conway Gamecock



Joined: 23 Jan 2015
Posts: 1245
Location: Here


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/30/21 12:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
If the ref had made that call, and Carrington had gone to the line and hit two game-winning free throws, we'd have three pages of how the refs gave the game to Baylor. Maybe Carrington could have gotten a better shot instead of going into the teeth of a physical double-team when that foul wasn't being called, because that looked for all the world like she wasn't even trying to put up a legit shot, just get fouled. Maybe if Baylor had figured out "how do I shot free throw?" sometime in the third quarter, they wouldn't have been in that position in the first place.

But at this point, after Mulkey opened her trap in the press conference, I don't care whether or not it was a foul. I'm just glad Baylor's not moving on. Let bygones be bygones and you can go on and get the hell gone, Kim.


So if the ref made the foul call and Baylor won, we'd all STILL be sitting here looking at how the Baylor player WAS IN FACT fouled, and how 99% of all fans NOT Connecticut fans agreeing that it was a right and justified win.

VERSUS the ref NOT making the foul call, and CT ending up winning, and AFTER THAT FACT we STILL are sitting here looking at how the Baylor player WAS IN FACT fouled, but Baylor lost the game, and only the small % of CT fans are fine with that, and EVERYONE ELSE is not.

Whether or not Baylor players were fouled earlier in the game and no fouls were called, or CT players were fouled earlier in the game and no fouls were called, to try to spin how those would have changed the final result of the game is asinine. This was literally AT THE END OF THE GAME. There's no spin required...


Tally24



Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Posts: 2452
Location: Baton Rouge


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/30/21 1:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not to pívot, but: how was Carrington 7/22 from the field. I felt like she made 20 shots tonight.

Kudos to Baylor on a great game. It sucks that the foul wasn’t called, just like it sucks that other calls were missed. It sucks that players missed free throws throughout the game. It sucks that Edwards was on the bench for most of the first half. It sucks that Didi got hurt. It never comes down to just one play, there are so many plays within each possession throughout the game that decide the outcome.

Another fun stat of the night: Bueckers with 0 assists.

ETA: what are Carrington’s pro prospects?
huskiemaniac



Joined: 24 Nov 2004
Posts: 767
Location: NE CT


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/30/21 7:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
Not to pívot, but: how was Carrington 7/22 from the field. I felt like she made 20 shots tonight.

ETA: what are Carrington’s pro prospects?


In basketball or glamour modeling?


ucbart



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 2104
Location: New York


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/30/21 8:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
Tally24 wrote:
Not to pívot, but: how was Carrington 7/22 from the field. I felt like she made 20 shots tonight.

ETA: what are Carrington’s pro prospects?


In basketball or glamour modeling?


That's so funny. I have a group message with my two female friends who were both pretty good athletes:

Gina: "Carrington looks better playing basketball than I did at my wedding."

Kristin: "I need to know how long it takes her to get ready for games. Not mentally. Just fashion wise."


undersized_post



Joined: 01 Mar 2021
Posts: 960
Location: midwest/indiana/iowa


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/30/21 8:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
It’s only controversial because it came at the end of the game. Paige got knocked on her butt with similar contact about five times. Edwards was on the bench with a couple of touch fouls in the whole first half, when refs were letting everything go.

The refs were bad, but they let it turn into a rugby game. That shouldn’t stop just because it’s an end of the game possession.


Officiating in collegiate basketball across the board is horrendous. The officiating for WCBB seems to take it to another level.

Officials are humans, and so the "human error" factor will always play into it. But a person can walk up to another person on Main Street USA on a sunny day without a cloud in the sky, with the street full of townsfolk all around, point a loaded gun up to that person's head, and blow his brains out in front of everyone who just saw it happen. Then they can just claim, "well that's human error", and just go, "ohh, I see. So sorry. Oh well, you're free to go, then."

No. Too often the "human error" factor is used as a shield or justification for unnecessarily bad officiating. Sports are always being pushed to forward the envelop and improve in athleticism and execution and production.

Too often they are being officiated by aging, white-haired, out of shape old people who rely increasingly on their "experience" that even though they didn't SEE the foul, they feel a foul took place just the same, and call the foul. Too much laziness in officiating, and not enough effort to push the officials just as much as the players they are quality-controlling are being pushed by their coaches, by their peers, and by the general public. We should demand more.

So a foul is ignored at the end of a tight game where it impacts whether a team wins or loses. It painfully reminded me of the ignored foul of Boston for USC when they played CT, when she was hit on the arm as she was raising the ball up to lay it in, in the closing seconds of regulation in a tie game.

Just write it off to "human error"? Justify it with the missed foul that took place against CT in the 1st or 2nd Qtr. over an hour earlier?? It's a corruption, and a disservice to the game of basketball.....


+1, Well said. Yes that no-call on Boston's put back at the end of regulation was ridiculous. And though it may seem as such I swear I'm not an "anti-UConn" troll lol. I'm just pro-good officiating.


Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 6565



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/30/21 8:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
It’s only controversial because it came at the end of the game. Paige got knocked on her butt with similar contact about five times. Edwards was on the bench with a couple of touch fouls in the whole first half, when refs were letting everything go.

The refs were bad, but they let it turn into a rugby game. That shouldn’t stop just because it’s an end of the game possession.


Officiating in collegiate basketball across the board is horrendous. The officiating for WCBB seems to take it to another level.

Officials are humans, and so the "human error" factor will always play into it. But a person can walk up to another person on Main Street USA on a sunny day without a cloud in the sky, with the street full of townsfolk all around, point a loaded gun up to that person's head, and blow his brains out in front of everyone who just saw it happen. Then they can just claim, "well that's human error", and just go, "ohh, I see. So sorry. Oh well, you're free to go, then."

No. Too often the "human error" factor is used as a shield or justification for unnecessarily bad officiating. Sports are always being pushed to forward the envelop and improve in athleticism and execution and production.

Too often they are being officiated by aging, white-haired, out of shape old people who rely increasingly on their "experience" that even though they didn't SEE the foul, they feel a foul took place just the same, and call the foul. Too much laziness in officiating, and not enough effort to push the officials just as much as the players they are quality-controlling are being pushed by their coaches, by their peers, and by the general public. We should demand more.

So a foul is ignored at the end of a tight game where it impacts whether a team wins or loses. It painfully reminded me of the ignored foul of Boston for USC when they played CT, when she was hit on the arm as she was raising the ball up to lay it in, in the closing seconds of regulation in a tie game.

Just write it off to "human error"? Justify it with the missed foul that took place against CT in the 1st or 2nd Qtr. over an hour earlier?? It's a corruption, and a disservice to the game of basketball.....


So before a player plays a perfect game and a coach coaches a perfect game and the time keeper has a perfect game and the shot clock keeper has a perfect game and the floor wipe crew has a perfect game with not one spot of swear dropped on the floor that is not wiped up and let's not forget about the trainer that taped players before the game or the strength coach that maybe over worked them in the weight room and the nutrition staff that maybe let them have a few too many carbs, you want a referee to ref a perfect game?

Got it. Shocked



_________________
"The biggest antidote to his poison is the vote.” — Nancy Pelosi

"Our democracy is designed to speak truth to power." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

"If this guy can be Senator, you can do anything." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 62935
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/30/21 8:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
So before a player plays a perfect game and a coach coaches a perfect game and the time keeper has a perfect game, you want a referee to ref a perfect game?


We all want that. Even the refs want that.

Sometimes plays like the final shot are whistled as fouls and sometimes they're not. The refs had been calling the game pretty loose, which mostly worked in Baylor's favor. This call was in line with that philosophy.



_________________
The power of the police to fulfill their functions and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and behavior, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect
ucbart



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 2104
Location: New York


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/30/21 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
So before a player plays a perfect game and a coach coaches a perfect game and the time keeper has a perfect game, you want a referee to ref a perfect game?


We all want that. Even the refs want that.

Sometimes plays like the final shot are whistled as fouls and sometimes they're not. The refs had been calling the game pretty loose, which mostly worked in Baylor's favor. This call was in line with that philosophy.


Agree-

In the first half, Carrington, Richards, Smith, and Egbo had a combined 0 fouls. There is no way, with all of Baylor's physicality, that's humanly possible.


Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 6565



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/30/21 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
Queenie wrote:
If the ref had made that call, and Carrington had gone to the line and hit two game-winning free throws, we'd have three pages of how the refs gave the game to Baylor. Maybe Carrington could have gotten a better shot instead of going into the teeth of a physical double-team when that foul wasn't being called, because that looked for all the world like she wasn't even trying to put up a legit shot, just get fouled. Maybe if Baylor had figured out "how do I shot free throw?" sometime in the third quarter, they wouldn't have been in that position in the first place.

But at this point, after Mulkey opened her trap in the press conference, I don't care whether or not it was a foul. I'm just glad Baylor's not moving on. Let bygones be bygones and you can go on and get the hell gone, Kim.


So if the ref made the foul call and Baylor won, we'd all STILL be sitting here looking at how the Baylor player WAS IN FACT fouled, and how 99% of all fans NOT Connecticut fans agreeing that it was a right and justified win.

VERSUS the ref NOT making the foul call, and CT ending up winning, and AFTER THAT FACT we STILL are sitting here looking at how the Baylor player WAS IN FACT fouled, but Baylor lost the game, and only the small % of CT fans are fine with that, and EVERYONE ELSE is not.

Whether or not Baylor players were fouled earlier in the game and no fouls were called, or CT players were fouled earlier in the game and no fouls were called, to try to spin how those would have changed the final result of the game is asinine. This was literally AT THE END OF THE GAME. There's no spin required...


Coaches, players, fans, broadcasters, etc are ALWAYS going to look for that ONE thing that if it had gone differently, in their favor, would have given them the win. This is where the "don't count on the refs to win the game for you" comes in. There are SO MANY THINGS that occur during a game that you CAN'T just boil it down to one play at the end. There will always be another "yeah, but" to be thrown in.

Would people be as upset if that play had happened at 5:38 in the first quarter? No. We wouldn't even be talking about it. But it would have had just as much impact on the game. Not as much spotlight, but just as much impact.

It sucks that it wasn't called. But as has already been said, if Baylor had taken care of business earlier when they had a, what was it, 10 point lead (55-45 I think) and not let UConn go on that 19-0 run would we be talking about this one call at the end of the game? No. Why aren't we talking about why Mulkey didn't call a TO to try to change the momentum during that run?

UConn took a TO at 2:51 of the third quarter with the score 53-44 Baylor. At 2:13 Ursin made a basket to make it 55-45. At 1:52 (one minute after UConn's TO) Bueckers scored to start the 19-0 run. At the end of the quarter the score was 55-53.

It took Baylor 3:12 into the 4th quarter to score another basket. So in 5:04 of game time, Baylor had 0 points, 4 turnovers, 5 missed shots, 4 fouls (2 offensive by Carrington), and 3 time outs remaining. Yeah, there was a quarter break in there, but it didn't help. Mulkey took her second time out TWO SECONDS AFTER the basket that stopped the 19-0 UConn run.

Let's talk about all of that instead of one play at the end.



_________________
"The biggest antidote to his poison is the vote.” — Nancy Pelosi

"Our democracy is designed to speak truth to power." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

"If this guy can be Senator, you can do anything." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 6565



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/30/21 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
So before a player plays a perfect game and a coach coaches a perfect game and the time keeper has a perfect game, you want a referee to ref a perfect game?


We all want that. Even the refs want that.

Sometimes plays like the final shot are whistled as fouls and sometimes they're not. The refs had been calling the game pretty loose, which mostly worked in Baylor's favor. This call was in line with that philosophy.


Exactly. We want it, but we also know, should know, that it isn't going to happen.



_________________
"The biggest antidote to his poison is the vote.” — Nancy Pelosi

"Our democracy is designed to speak truth to power." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

"If this guy can be Senator, you can do anything." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 6565



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/30/21 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
pilight wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
So before a player plays a perfect game and a coach coaches a perfect game and the time keeper has a perfect game, you want a referee to ref a perfect game?


We all want that. Even the refs want that.

Sometimes plays like the final shot are whistled as fouls and sometimes they're not. The refs had been calling the game pretty loose, which mostly worked in Baylor's favor. This call was in line with that philosophy.


Agree-

In the first half, Carrington, Richards, Smith, and Egbo had a combined 0 fouls. There is no way, with all of Baylor's physicality, that's humanly possible.


Again, I agree. So what is Baylor complaining about, again? Wink

Now, I've GOT to go do something other than sit on my butt some more. I'll be back tonight for some more hopefully good games.



_________________
"The biggest antidote to his poison is the vote.” — Nancy Pelosi

"Our democracy is designed to speak truth to power." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

"If this guy can be Senator, you can do anything." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
mercfan3



Joined: 23 Nov 2004
Posts: 18948



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/30/21 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

If you're going to ignore what has happened in the 38-39 minutes leading up to a last minute call, then why play a 40 minute game? If one play or sequence is all that is going to matter, lace 'em up, toss the ball into the air, first team to score wins, let's all go get a beer!



That's my problem with this whole thing.

The style of play that the refs were calling was helping Baylor because they are the more physical team the entire game. I've got worse pictures I could show of no calls in favor of Baylor than that last play. The idea that Paige wasn't being fouled the entire game is hysterical - she was being thrown around like a ragdoll. She was tackled twice with no call. Laughing Williams was fouled on her last drive to the basket with the no call. They just weren't calling fouls.

Yes, technically that last play in the game was a foul. But it wasn't a foul in the way that the game was being called. It was only right for the refs to stay consistent.

So it's laughable to me, that a team that got what they wanted in terms of reffing for 39 minutes - complains that a foul wasn't called...that amount of contact wasn't called the entire rest of the game. So in the context of this game, where there were pretty much no fouls being called..no, it wasn't a foul.



_________________
“Anyone point out that a Donald Trump anagram is ‘Lord Dampnut’”- Colin Mochrie
linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 4591



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/30/21 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

If you're going to ignore what has happened in the 38-39 minutes leading up to a last minute call, then why play a 40 minute game? If one play or sequence is all that is going to matter, lace 'em up, toss the ball into the air, first team to score wins, let's all go get a beer!



That's my problem with this whole thing.

The style of play that the refs were calling was helping Baylor because they are the more physical team the entire game. I've got worse pictures I could show of no calls in favor of Baylor than that last play. The idea that Paige wasn't being fouled the entire game is hysterical - she was being thrown around like a ragdoll. She was tackled twice with no call. Laughing Williams was fouled on her last drive to the basket with the no call. They just weren't calling fouls.

Yes, technically that last play in the game was a foul. But it wasn't a foul in the way that the game was being called. It was only right for the refs to stay consistent.

So it's laughable to me, that a team that got what they wanted in terms of reffing for 39 minutes - complains that a foul wasn't called...that amount of contact wasn't called the entire rest of the game. So in the context of this game, where there were pretty much no fouls being called..no, it wasn't a foul.


+1


ucbart



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 2104
Location: New York


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/30/21 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

If you're going to ignore what has happened in the 38-39 minutes leading up to a last minute call, then why play a 40 minute game? If one play or sequence is all that is going to matter, lace 'em up, toss the ball into the air, first team to score wins, let's all go get a beer!



That's my problem with this whole thing.

The style of play that the refs were calling was helping Baylor because they are the more physical team the entire game. I've got worse pictures I could show of no calls in favor of Baylor than that last play. The idea that Paige wasn't being fouled the entire game is hysterical - she was being thrown around like a ragdoll. She was tackled twice with no call. Laughing Williams was fouled on her last drive to the basket with the no call. They just weren't calling fouls.

Yes, technically that last play in the game was a foul. But it wasn't a foul in the way that the game was being called. It was only right for the refs to stay consistent.

So it's laughable to me, that a team that got what they wanted in terms of reffing for 39 minutes - complains that a foul wasn't called...that amount of contact wasn't called the entire rest of the game. So in the context of this game, where there were pretty much no fouls being called..no, it wasn't a foul.


+1


+2


Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 13620
Location: OREGON (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/30/21 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

If you're going to ignore what has happened in the 38-39 minutes leading up to a last minute call, then why play a 40 minute game? If one play or sequence is all that is going to matter, lace 'em up, toss the ball into the air, first team to score wins, let's all go get a beer!



That's my problem with this whole thing.

The style of play that the refs were calling was helping Baylor because they are the more physical team the entire game. I've got worse pictures I could show of no calls in favor of Baylor than that last play. The idea that Paige wasn't being fouled the entire game is hysterical - she was being thrown around like a ragdoll. She was tackled twice with no call. Laughing Williams was fouled on her last drive to the basket with the no call. They just weren't calling fouls.

Yes, technically that last play in the game was a foul. But it wasn't a foul in the way that the game was being called. It was only right for the refs to stay consistent.

So it's laughable to me, that a team that got what they wanted in terms of reffing for 39 minutes - complains that a foul wasn't called...that amount of contact wasn't called the entire rest of the game
. So in the context of this game, where there were pretty much no fouls being called..no, it wasn't a foul.


It will ALWAYS be a foul, according to NCAA rules. Can't change that.

BUTTTT....if the entire scenario had been REVERSED....the squealing from UConn fans would have been even worse, primarily cuz y'all are the most....VOCAL, right?. Fans will be fans. Jus' sayin'.

To me, this will always be an * game, cuz of Didi's injury and that call. It reminds me of the old Parker/Anosike game between TN and Rutgers, when even government officials got vocal about it. And it wasn't even a tournament game. Or when Baylor got ripped off in the tournament by L'ville. Sh*t happens. Life goes on. Cool



_________________
Oregon: Go Ducks!
"Inévitablement, les canards voleront"
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 28890



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/30/21 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

So it's laughable to me, that a team that got what they wanted in terms of reffing for 39 minutes - complains that a foul wasn't called...that amount of contact wasn't called the entire rest of the game. So in the context of this game, where there were pretty much no fouls being called..no, it wasn't a foul.


Frankly that is because of total UConn rose glasses. If the same exact thing had happened at the other end to decide the game in Baylor's favor, you all would be totally up in arms. I'm guilty of looking thru my Stanford flavored glasses when they are playing and yelling at the refs to make a call or yelling at them for making a bad call against my team, so I can't blame you.

And that amount of contact was way more than most contact that wasn't called thruout the game.

What I was just thinking was that perhaps they should expand the things the refs can go to the monitor to check in the last 30 seconds. Make the call, then go see what we were all able to see in replay. If you think there was no contact, reverse the call. I know all the reviews can get annoying but it is more annoying IMO to have a truly bad call/non-call decide such an important game.


ucbart



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 2104
Location: New York


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/30/21 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

So it's laughable to me, that a team that got what they wanted in terms of reffing for 39 minutes - complains that a foul wasn't called...that amount of contact wasn't called the entire rest of the game. So in the context of this game, where there were pretty much no fouls being called..no, it wasn't a foul.


Frankly that is because of total UConn rose glasses. If the same exact thing had happened at the other end to decide the game in Baylor's favor, you all would be totally up in arms. I'm guilty of looking thru my Stanford flavored glasses when they are playing and yelling at the refs to make a call or yelling at them for making a bad call against my team, so I can't blame you.

And that amount of contact was way more than most contact that wasn't called thruout the game.

What I was just thinking was that perhaps they should expand the things the refs can go to the monitor to check in the last 30 seconds. Make the call, then go see what we were all able to see in replay. If you think there was no contact, reverse the call. I know all the reviews can get annoying but it is more annoying IMO to have a truly bad call/non-call decide such an important game.


So let me flip this:

If this happened to UCONN-do you think the media, fans of other teams, UCONN haters on this board, and Twitter would be as adamant that it should've been a foul? Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, would the narrative be, "you don't call that foul at that juncture, in that setting, in a game that was rough and physical and had a "let 'em play" flow to it.

As much as UCONN fans need to take off their glasses, other fans, like yourself, need to take off your UCONN hate glasses and honestly ask yourself if you'd be pro-foul, pro-UCONN, and pro-robbery? If you do think all the haters would be pro UCONN in that situation, I've got a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn. Everyone has two favorite teams, their own and everyone who beats UCONN.


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 28890



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/30/21 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have no UConn hate. I totally admire the program and what Geno has done and many of the players who have come thru that program. Some on here might be called UConn haters but many are not even if we are fans of other teams....but lumping all us non-UConn fans into one big 'hater' category is kind of like a Trumpism. You either totally love me or I will hate you. Bad idea.

And to answer your question, if it had been flipped and UConn was robbed, yes, I would be equally upset. I am certainly no lover of Baylor.


undersized_post



Joined: 01 Mar 2021
Posts: 960
Location: midwest/indiana/iowa


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/30/21 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

On a different note: Was this Bueckers' only career game with 0 assists?


ucbart



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 2104
Location: New York


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/30/21 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I have no UConn hate. I totally admire the program and what Geno has done and many of the players who have come thru that program. Some on here might be called UConn haters but many are not even if we are fans of other teams....but lumping all us non-UConn fans into one big 'hater' category is kind of like a Trumpism. You either totally love me or I will hate you. Bad idea.

And to answer your question, if it had been flipped and UConn was robbed, yes, I would be equally upset. I am certainly no lover of Baylor.


I can dig that response. But there are haters o' plenty on here and I guarantee you that wouldn't be the direction they'd take their opinions.


blaase22



Joined: 28 Mar 2011
Posts: 4060
Location: Paradise


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/30/21 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

If you're going to ignore what has happened in the 38-39 minutes leading up to a last minute call, then why play a 40 minute game? If one play or sequence is all that is going to matter, lace 'em up, toss the ball into the air, first team to score wins, let's all go get a beer!



That's my problem with this whole thing.

The style of play that the refs were calling was helping Baylor because they are the more physical team the entire game. I've got worse pictures I could show of no calls in favor of Baylor than that last play. The idea that Paige wasn't being fouled the entire game is hysterical - she was being thrown around like a ragdoll. She was tackled twice with no call. Laughing Williams was fouled on her last drive to the basket with the no call. They just weren't calling fouls.

Yes, technically that last play in the game was a foul. But it wasn't a foul in the way that the game was being called. It was only right for the refs to stay consistent.

So it's laughable to me, that a team that got what they wanted in terms of reffing for 39 minutes - complains that a foul wasn't called...that amount of contact wasn't called the entire rest of the game. So in the context of this game, where there were pretty much no fouls being called..no, it wasn't a foul.


They let a lot get away in the first half they did not in the second half till that last possession.


undersized_post



Joined: 01 Mar 2021
Posts: 960
Location: midwest/indiana/iowa


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/30/21 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:

So let me flip this:

If this happened to UCONN-do you think the media, fans of other teams, UCONN haters on this board, and Twitter would be as adamant that it should've been a foul? Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, would the narrative be, "you don't call that foul at that juncture, in that setting, in a game that was rough and physical and had a "let 'em play" flow to it.

As much as UCONN fans need to take off their glasses, other fans, like yourself, need to take off your UCONN hate glasses and honestly ask yourself if you'd be pro-foul, pro-UCONN, and pro-robbery? If you do think all the haters would be pro UCONN in that situation, I've got a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn. Everyone has two favorite teams, their own and everyone who beats UCONN.


I'm with myrtle. I'm not pro- or anti-UConn. I attempted to explain earlier: I'm pro- "calling a foul when it's a blatant foul," even (especially) when it's the last possession of a close game. Driving to the basket and drawing contact is a legitimate way to score. The defense should be held accountable for not playing legal defense.

Also: Your post reminds me of when the "privileged" act "oppressed" when faced with equity. Myrtle's analogy to Trumpism was apt.

That said, I recognize there are those fans out there who are anti-UConn at any and all cost. Just don't assume I'm one of them, please Smile Mr. Green Wink

Edit: I'm also with Howee.
Howee wrote:
To me, this will always be an * game, cuz of Didi's injury and that call.


Tally24



Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Posts: 2452
Location: Baton Rouge


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/30/21 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unabashedly, above all else, I am anti-Mulkey. So, while I feel for the players, I was a little sad she didn’t throw her jacket or something :/
undersized_post



Joined: 01 Mar 2021
Posts: 960
Location: midwest/indiana/iowa


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/30/21 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
Unabashedly, above all else, I am anti-Mulkey. So, while I feel for the players, I was a little sad she didn’t throw her jacket or something :/

Laughing Laughing Laughing


linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 4591



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/30/21 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://the-boneyard.com/attachments/166620104_3990577711003082_5501744120327449957_n-jpg.66431/




Last edited by linkster on 03/30/21 3:07 pm; edited 5 times in total
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin