RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#2 Baylor vs #1 Connecticut - 3/29/21
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/29/21 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It’s only controversial because it came at the end of the game. Paige got knocked on her butt with similar contact about five times. Edwards was on the bench with a couple of touch fouls in the whole first half, when refs were letting everything go.

The refs were bad, but they let it turn into a rugby game. That shouldn’t stop just because it’s an end of the game possession.

PostPosted: 03/29/21 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LeBron James weighs in:

https://twitter.com/KingJames/status/1376702464162942977

And LaChina Robinson:

https://twitter.com/LaChinaRobinson/status/1376701997454331908

(look at the pictures in the replies to this tweet)

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/29/21 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The comments about the refs needing to catch up to the women’s game make the point very well, I think.

PostPosted: 03/29/21 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Man! Them refs are something. The girl was fouled.

Unless something drastic happens uconn will be moving on to the final game. I don't see Arizona or Indiana beating them. But, I'll be rooting for whoever wins the final 8 game.

PostPosted: 03/29/21 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carrington probably misses one and we get overtime smh

pilight

PostPosted: 03/29/21 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 03/29/21 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
TechDawgMc wrote:
Speaking as a BU fan, no doubt that was a foul but the game was being called with a lot of contact and when I saw it in real time, I didn’t think it was

This isn’t on the officials. It’s on Baylor’s poor decision making.

Are you really a BU fan if your screen name is tech dog ? Come on now that was a foul in any other game this season besides the elite 8 on ESPN against UCONN cut it OT Laughing Laughing

Some of us actually attend more than one school. Besides, I was at Tech with Kim. I might pull for Baylor even if I hadn't gotten a PhD from there.

You can't put the game in the hands of the officials by throwing up a bad shot and hoping for a foul call

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/29/21 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TechDawgMc wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
TechDawgMc wrote:
Speaking as a BU fan, no doubt that was a foul but the game was being called with a lot of contact and when I saw it in real time, I didn’t think it was

This isn’t on the officials. It’s on Baylor’s poor decision making.

Are you really a BU fan if your screen name is tech dog ? Come on now that was a foul in any other game this season besides the elite 8 on ESPN against UCONN cut it OT Laughing Laughing

Some of us actually attend more than one school. Besides, I was at Tech with Kim. I might pull for Baylor even if I hadn't gotten a PhD from there.

You can't put the game in the hands of the officials by throwing up a bad shot and hoping for a foul call

Good point.

Had to laugh at Kim and her mask during the press conference.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/29/21 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

The elevation!!!! Shocked

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/29/21 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They could have called that knee into the groin...

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 03/29/21 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

this picture is photoshopped.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 03/29/21 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
this picture is photoshopped.

You have to be right. Because Westbrook looks very disinterested. She can't wait for the game to be over so she can get something to eat. Cool

PostPosted: 03/29/21 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That looked like a foul to me, but the way the refs let so much go it was in keeping with the rest of the game. It was also not the best shot Baylor could have taken at that stage. Live by the refs, die by the refs.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/29/21 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
It’s only controversial because it came at the end of the game. Paige got knocked on her butt with similar contact about five times. Edwards was on the bench with a couple of touch fouls in the whole first half, when refs were letting everything go.

The refs were bad, but they let it turn into a rugby game. That shouldn’t stop just because it’s an end of the game possession.

Yaaa, no. Miss Paige DID get 1 or 2 'missed' fouls, but she also flopped a coupla times. Badly. (I really DO wish they'd get that anti-flop rule in wbb)

PostPosted: 03/29/21 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

insidewinder wrote:
That looked like a foul to me, but the way the refs let so much go it was in keeping with the rest of the game. It was also not the best shot Baylor could have taken at that stage. Live by the refs, die by the refs.

so true. I so remember being told repeatedly that if you let it come down to depending on the refs to make a call at the end of the game, it was your own fault for not having it out of reach.

Still it's these end of game situations/calls/no calls that become the focal point.

blaase22

PostPosted: 03/29/21 9:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

Just stop lol you know damn well miss flopping Paige would have gotten that call!

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/29/21 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't understand the mentality of, "Don't count on the refs to win the game for you."

Driving and drawing contact is one of the most fundamental way to score in all of basketball. Yet in the final possession of a close game, there is an attitude among some that the defense gets a free pass to foul because the offensive player should "win the game without the refs helping." This makes no sense.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/29/21 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the ref had made that call, and Carrington had gone to the line and hit two game-winning free throws, we'd have three pages of how the refs gave the game to Baylor. Maybe Carrington could have gotten a better shot instead of going into the teeth of a physical double-team when that foul wasn't being called, because that looked for all the world like she wasn't even trying to put up a legit shot, just get fouled. Maybe if Baylor had figured out "how do I shot free throw?" sometime in the third quarter, they wouldn't have been in that position in the first place.

But at this point, after Mulkey opened her trap in the press conference, I don't care whether or not it was a foul. I'm just glad Baylor's not moving on. Let bygones be bygones and you can go on and get the hell gone, Kim.

(now with spelling variations)
huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 03/29/21 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I feel bad for Didi, who has always been a favorite of mine. Sucks when an injury plays a role in the outcome of a game.

I haven't read all the posts- was there any outrage at the charge called on UConn when the Baylor defender had both feet inside the restricted area? I'm guessing not. Laughing

So, y'all know what you can do.

Congrats to this young UConn team for keeping the ff streak alive.

AMAZING!

willtalk

PostPosted: 03/29/21 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So what you posters are saying is that if there were any questionable calls at any time in the game the defense can do what ever it likes and not have to worry about the refs calling a foul.

If you watch the entire play Ono hooks and grabs Carrintons arm, while she is on the dripple long before she even gets to the point where she attempts this shot. And You guys feel justified in saying that it is her fault for getting herself in a position that someone can foul her and get away with it. That is a totally BS rationalization.

I would admit that it appeared that Baylor got the benefit of the calls in the first hald. However, that does not excuse this non call.

I also wonder how many of the posters were down on A&M because they got the benefit of game ending calls to move them on., yet now they change their tune. I guess it all depends on who's Ox is being gored.

What was also bad were the number of touch flops on offensive calls.

PostPosted: 03/29/21 11:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
I feel bad for Didi, who has always been a favorite of mine. Sucks when an injury plays a role in the outcome of a game.

I haven't read all the posts- was there any outrage at the charge called on UConn when the Baylor defender had both feet inside the restricted area? I'm guessing not. Laughing

So, y'all know what you can do.

Congrats to this young UConn team for keeping the ff streak alive.

AMAZING!

To quote myself--yes there was outrage at the charge called when the Baylor defender was in the restricted area in the first half.
undersized_post wrote:
Didi was in the restricted area, no?

I've never quite understood how this UConn team qualifies as 'young.' Yes, they've started two freshmen most of the season with another freshman coming off the bench. But a majority of the minutes are played by upperclassmen all-American caliber athletes in ONO, Williams, and Westbrook. Maybe 'young' relative to other UConn teams. But overall labeling them 'young' feels, to me, like just another facet of the overly romanticized narrative of the young Bueckers leading her group of upstarts who would be otherwise lost without her leadership Rolling Eyes

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/29/21 11:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
So what you posters are saying is that if there were any questionable calls at any time in the game the defense can do what ever it likes and not have to worry about the refs calling a foul.

If you watch the entire play Ono hooks and grabs Carrintons arm, while she is on the dripple long before she even gets to the point where she attempts this shot. And You guys feel justified in saying that it is her fault for getting herself in a position that someone can foul her and get away with it. That is a totally BS rationalization.

I would admit that it appeared that Baylor got the benefit of the calls in the first hald. However, that does not excuse this non call.

I also wonder how many of the posters were down on A&M because they got the benefit of game ending calls to move them on., yet now they change their tune. I guess it all depends on who's Ox is being gored.

What was also bad were the number of touch flops on offensive calls.

This is all very well put.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/29/21 11:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
I don't understand the mentality of, "Don't count on the refs to win the game for you."

Driving and drawing contact is one of the most fundamental way to score in all of basketball. Yet in the final possession of a close game, there is an attitude among some that the defense gets a free pass to foul because the offensive player should "win the game without the refs helping." This makes no sense.

You've got a couple of things going here.

I'll start with "Don't count on the refs to win the game for you." You have to take control of your own destiny. Period. Get out there and take care of business yourself and don't risk a missed call costing you the game. Yes, the refs are there to call violations and fouls, but you're going to get bit on the butt if you leave it up to them to be correct 100% of the time.

End of game situations.... I've always been in the camp that says if it's a foul at the beginning of the game, it's a foul at the end of the game. I think that the people that say to let the players on the floor decide the game are wrong. If it really is a foul and isn't called because of the "let the players decide the game" thought, the refs are in fact, deciding the game (potentially) by not making the call. The refs are there to insure that the teams are treated fairly. To make sure that one team doesn't get an unfair advantage over the other.

If you're going to ignore what has happened in the 38-39 minutes leading up to a last minute call, then why play a 40 minute game? If one play or sequence is all that is going to matter, lace 'em up, toss the ball into the air, first team to score wins, let's all go get a beer!

So I agree with you on your second paragraph, it makes no sense. I really think that it ("let the players decide the game") is one of those things that a frustrated losing coach or team broadcaster said after a late call went against them. Then it got picked up on and spread by so many losing teams/supporters of losing teams that it has become "fact."

Similar to travel calls. How many times have you heard an announcer say "he/she picked up their pivot foot?" Or even seen a ref call a violation when the player picks up the pivot foot? Picking up a pivot foot is not a violation. Putting it back down on the floor is the violation. Otherwise a layup would always be a travel.

It's late, so I hope that makes sense.

taropatch

PostPosted: 03/29/21 11:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Several fouls throughout the game were "ignored"/"missed" during the game for both sides. No excuses -- what goes around comes around. I give credit to both teams for their runs to pull even after falling behind. I'm sold on Bueckers. I knew she was good but now I know how good.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 03/30/21 12:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

Officiating in collegiate basketball across the board is horrendous. The officiating for WCBB seems to take it to another level.

Officials are humans, and so the "human error" factor will always play into it. But a person can walk up to another person on Main Street USA on a sunny day without a cloud in the sky, with the street full of townsfolk all around, point a loaded gun up to that person's head, and blow his brains out in front of everyone who just saw it happen. Then they can just claim, "well that's human error", and just go, "ohh, I see. So sorry. Oh well, you're free to go, then."

No. Too often the "human error" factor is used as a shield or justification for unnecessarily bad officiating. Sports are always being pushed to forward the envelop and improve in athleticism and execution and production.

Too often they are being officiated by aging, white-haired, out of shape old people who rely increasingly on their "experience" that even though they didn't SEE the foul, they feel a foul took place just the same, and call the foul. Too much laziness in officiating, and not enough effort to push the officials just as much as the players they are quality-controlling are being pushed by their coaches, by their peers, and by the general public. We should demand more.

So a foul is ignored at the end of a tight game where it impacts whether a team wins or loses. It painfully reminded me of the ignored foul of Boston for USC when they played CT, when she was hit on the arm as she was raising the ball up to lay it in, in the closing seconds of regulation in a tie game.

Just write it off to "human error"? Justify it with the missed foul that took place against CT in the 1st or 2nd Qtr. over an hour earlier?? It's a corruption, and a disservice to the game of basketball.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: