RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#2 Baylor vs #1 Connecticut - 3/29/21
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/29/21 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
myrtle wrote:
If UConn gets the same well rounded production they got in the last game, they will win the national championship.

Myrtle with the reverse jinx. Admit it, you know Stanford is a juggernaut! Smile

I actually think UConn has looked better in the last two games than they have all season. Yes, they've won some Big East games by wider margins, but it's one thing to beat someone when you play well and another to beat them because they're not very good. If you're a UConn fan, you hope the Huskies are peaking at the right time.

Stanford is very good this year and obviously I'm hoping they do pull it out as I think the next few years are going to be UConn and SoCaro and a big gap down from there. But if UConn plays like they did against Iowa, and Stanford is not their very best, I think UConn wins that game. At any rate I'm hoping that will be the championship game as I think it would be a wingdinger.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/29/21 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
Sure, Geno would probably NOT start Edwards if Muhl could play, but it wouldn't be the 1st time he was a moron. Wink

So true. We've tried for decades to teach him how to step into the river of perfection twice and more, but sometimes he just doesn't listen. Starts Morgan Valley over Barbara Turner, Mel Thomas and Kalana Greene over Maya Moore, Caroline Doty over Tiffany Hayes, etc.

Now, to switch to some negativity and concern, it's possible that it's impossible for UConn to play as well as they did against Iowa. Except for scoring by ONO, everyone stuffed stats like crazy in that game.

Williams can't have two career days in a row. The last time she had one before Iowa was Notre Dame in her freshman year.

AE can't keep shooting at 85%.

Paige has lost some of the eye of the tiger and seems reluctant to shoot in the first half.

ONO still blows chippies, shoots from the ankles, and gets pushed around by mean girls.

Evina can disappear. There's good disappear, when you don't even notice that she almost has a triple double. But there's also been bad disappear, when she barely gets a single single.

UConn can only win if they follow the Pat Summitt Formula+ --> Defense, rebounding, plus hitting lots of outside shots. That troika will open up easy inside shots via putbacks, fast breaks and cutting drivers.
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/29/21 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ucbart wrote:
I just don't see an outcome where UCONN wins this game.

As long as Geno's the coach, there gonna be a chance for UConn to win every game they play.

Baylor is definitely a level up from anybody they've played this season and the Bears won't be intimidated by the UConn mystique. OTOH, the Hussies have blown the doors off of them every time they've met in the tournament. Wink

Oh, seeing "the hussies" reminded me immediately of Slewbopper, RIP. I have my bright orange UCONN t-shirt and think of him often.

~rAf
Queenie

PostPosted: 03/29/21 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
So true. We've tried for decades to teach him how to step into the river of perfection twice and more, but sometimes he just doesn't listen. Starts Morgan Valley over Barbara Turner, Mel Thomas and Kalana Greene over Maya Moore, Caroline Doty over Tiffany Hayes, etc.

Wasn't there a whole book about not being able to put your foot into the same river twice?

PostPosted: 03/29/21 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Wasn't there a whole book about not being able to put your foot into the same river twice?

But, water does have memory! 😉
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/29/21 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Thank goodness someone occasionally gets my obscure references and word-plays. Good old NYC education.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/29/21 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just reread that book recently and added a couple of pages to my favorite moments when I ran across Tony Bozzella's cameo. 10/10, highly recommended even if you're not a UConn fan.

And if you need to get the UConn taste out of your mouth afterwards you can always read Nice Girls Finish First for another school's take on that year. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 03/29/21 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I just reread that book recently and added a couple of pages to my favorite moments when I ran across Tony Bozzella's cameo. 10/10, highly recommended even if you're not a UConn fan.

And if you need to get the UConn taste out of your mouth afterwards you can always read Nice Girls Finish First for another school's take on that year. Twisted Evil

I’m actually teaching it in my class. I’ve got a lot of senior girl athletes, and a lot of kids love basketball. Kids seem to really like it.

One of my favorite moments from that book is when Geno, Pat, and their assistants (responsible for recruiting) were watching Beard play. (Whom neither UConn or Tenn recruited.)

Geno turns to Pat and says “they (their assistants) should be fired.” Laughing

PostPosted: 03/29/21 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK so I don't know how to feel about this game. I absolutely never root for Kim Mulkey (except I did root for Baylor in 2019 after they knocked out my Hawkeyes in the Elite-Eight, mostly because I liked Lauren Cox. I also like Brittney Griner so that became confusing for a while.). And although I like quite a few of the UConn players, I also hardly ever root for UConn because their fan base is just so insufferable. (Not the people on this forum, though Wink I have other experiences... ). Also I'm not sure I'd survive the media fawning over Paige winning a championship her freshman year. (I love you Paige and I know this is beyond your control Embarassed )

Not sure where all of this leaves me. Confused Can anyone relate? lol.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/29/21 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seventh seated team my ass. The hate of the Committee for these two teams is astonishing. They should be ashamed of themselves manufacturing this setup.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/29/21 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Baylor keeps turning it over like that it will be a blowout

PostPosted: 03/29/21 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
If Baylor keeps turning it over like that it will be a blowout

This is one of the best UConn teams I’ve seen at stealing the ball. Edwards is particularly good at it for a post.

Last edited by mercfan3 on 03/29/21 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tally24

PostPosted: 03/29/21 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Glad Paige and Westbrook were both able to see it go through from deep EARLY.
blaase22

PostPosted: 03/29/21 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Espn makes it so easy to root against Paige and uconn.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/29/21 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:

Laughing Laughing you mean the precocious freshman bringing such joy to the program?

In all seriousness, Baylor doesn't have the offense to keep up with this pace so far.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/29/21 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That’s a problem.

PostPosted: 03/29/21 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Didi: steal #1 of the night. ONO beefs it trying to get back on D.

blaase22

PostPosted: 03/29/21 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When did westbrook get good? I can see her getting drafted pretty high.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/29/21 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:

She was good in the first part of the season, then went cold. She’s now hot again.

She’s always steady though.

PostPosted: 03/29/21 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mulkey would have been pissed if Carrington would have missed that pull up 3.

Moon Ursin is SMOOTH.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/29/21 6:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

rip snorter. First to 100 wins?

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/29/21 6:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Queenie wrote:

I’m actually teaching it in my class. I’ve got a lot of senior girl athletes, and a lot of kids love basketball. Kids seem to really like it.

One of my favorite moments from that book is when Geno, Pat, and their assistants (responsible for recruiting) were watching Beard play. (Whom neither UConn or Tenn recruited.)

Geno turns to Pat and says “they (their assistants) should be fired.” Laughing

That's one of the many pages I have dog-eared as a favorite moment.

Reading it in 2021 also accidentally turns it into a study in character development when you think about who these kids were in college and who they are now, especially Bird and Taurasi.

(I'll probably stop with the digressions at some point, but I do genuinely love this book and so many of the little moments it highlights.)

PostPosted: 03/29/21 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
blaase22 wrote:

She was good in the first part of the season, then went cold. She’s now hot again.

She’s always steady though.

And I think it just took some time to settle into her new role on the team. She had the ball in her hands a lot at Tennessee, and really had to create off the bounce for offense. At UConn, it’s a littler different style of play and I think it took a while to get the balance.
ucbart

PostPosted: 03/29/21 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
blaase22 wrote:

Laughing Laughing you mean the precocious freshman bringing such joy to the program?

In all seriousness, Baylor doesn't have the offense to keep up with this pace so far.

Do you do anything but bitch about UCONN? Seriously? I'm sorry we live in your head rent free, but nobody is making you watch this game. Andddddd, ESPN slobs all over Clark, too.

singinerd54

PostPosted: 03/29/21 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you told me the score was 26-24, I would have said it's much more likely halftime than end of 1Q.

Our turnovers are terrible. The missed layups by Paige and Aaliyah were terrible. Our offense was great.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: