RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#5 Iowa vs #1 Connecticut - 3/27/21
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
Iowa
39%
 39%  [ 9 ]
Connecticut
60%
 60%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 23

Shades

PostPosted: 03/24/21 5:44 pm    ::: #5 Iowa vs #1 Connecticut - 3/27/21 Reply Reply with quote

NCAA Tournament
River Walk Regional Semifinal
San Antonio, TX - 1:00 PM ET

TV: ABC (Ryan Ruocco, Rebecca Lobo)

Video stream:
https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/a82a04e4-96c8-4f97-8902-113d74c69e08#bucketId=1 (tvpli)

Audio:
https://listen.tunein.com/connecticutwbbschedule

Live stats:
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/game?gameId=401311249

https://www.ncaa.com/game/5799538

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 03/27/21 1:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/24/21 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aside from the most important thing -- Supernatural Freshman Paige Bueckers vs. Supernatural Freshman Caitlyn Clark -- the rest of UConn's team is better than the rest of Iowa's team and UConn has played better defense over most of the season.

I expect Clark to significantly outshoot Bueckers and to score at least 10 more points, due to her much higher Usage Rate, but the rest of UConn's team to more than make up that point deficit.

That said, Iowa can win if they get very hot from the arc and UConn goes ice cold from there, as has happened to the Huskies this season at times.
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/24/21 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Aside from the most important thing -- Supernatural Freshman Paige Bueckers vs. Supernatural Freshman Caitlyn Clark -- the rest of UConn's team is better than the rest of Iowa's team and UConn has played better defense over most of the season.

I expect Clark to significantly outshoot Bueckers and to score at least 10 more points, due to her much higher Usage Rate, but the rest of UConn's team to more than make up that point deficit.

That said, Iowa can win if they get very hot from the arc and UConn goes ice cold from there, as has happened to the Huskies this season at times.

Everything said here _________X

PostPosted: 03/24/21 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iowa's almost certainly going to lose -- possibly even get creamed -- and I know that. But I'm dreading the chatter from simple-minded fans that is inevitably going to follow about how Clark is trash and Bueckers is superwoman.

In Iowa's best wins this season (over Michigan, Rutgers the second time, and most recently Kentucky), the team was lights out from 3 in the first half. That will need to happen again for us to have even a slight chance going into the second half. We were even lights out in our first loss to Maryland -- they were just even more lights out. Rolling Eyes But even if UConn is ice cold shooting, they will still have a huge rebounding advantage, so it won't matter much.

I'm just crossing my fingers that Iowa comes out of this one with some dignity.

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/25/21 4:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Iowa's almost certainly going to lose -- possibly even get creamed -- and I know that. But I'm dreading the chatter from simple-minded fans that is inevitably going to follow about how Clark is trash and Bueckers is superwoman.

In Iowa's best wins this season (over Michigan, Rutgers the second time, and most recently Kentucky), the team was lights out from 3 in the first half. That will need to happen again for us to have even a slight chance going into the second half. We were even lights out in our first loss to Maryland -- they were just even more lights out. Rolling Eyes But even if UConn is ice cold shooting, they will still have a huge rebounding advantage, so it won't matter much.

On your first sentence....where are you reading this? Honestly. I haven't seen it on this board, certainly. Most of the UCONN fans here are sensible ones and every other poster who isn't a UCONN fan doesn't like us much and seems to give the edge to Clark.

Please tell me you're not talking about the armpit of social media, twitter?

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/25/21 4:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

I keep going back and forth with this one in my head. Obviously Clark is going to get hers, because she is just a phenomenal talent. Her and Monika Czinano are a tremendous duo and the entire Iowa team can fill it up, so the score will be high. On defense though, how does Iowa guard Alliyah if Czinano is guarding ONO on the high post? I think her and Chirstyn, from a physicality standpoint, will be tough for Iowa to guard.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 03/25/21 7:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So will this game be the most watched game of the tournament?

PostPosted: 03/25/21 8:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

On your first sentence....where are you reading this? Honestly. I haven't seen it on this board, certainly. Most of the UCONN fans here are sensible ones and every other poster who isn't a UCONN fan doesn't like us much and seems to give the edge to Clark.

Please tell me you're not talking about the armpit of social media, twitter?

You’re right — credit to this board because I haven’t encountered that attitude here. Unfortunately I am indeed referring to twitter (as well as YouTube). There is a Bueckers fan on YouTube who posts negative comments on just about every single Clark highlight reel video in a way that boarders on harassment.

And you’re totally right that Edwards is going to have a mismatch. We will have to put 6’0” McKenna Warnock on her I think, or we’ll try a zone?

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/25/21 8:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Surprising number of poll respondents here think Iowa has a chance Surprised

pilight

PostPosted: 03/25/21 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:

UConn is largely untested. They've only had three games against top 25 NET teams and didn't look dominant in any of them. If Iowa's not cowed by the UConn mystique they have a good chance.

PostPosted: 03/25/21 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

UConn is largely untested. They've only had three games against top 25 NET teams and didn't look dominant in any of them. If Iowa's not cowed by the UConn mystique they have a good chance.

That's always the cure for any team .."If" I'm not sure anyone outside of Clark wont be afraid of the UCONN legacy. Now Elite 8 that becomes something of the Past if Baylor makes it through but for a team like Iowa who does not see UCONN every year this may still exist ?

PostPosted: 03/25/21 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
pilight wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

That's always the cure for any team .."If" I'm not sure anyone outside of Clark wont be afraid of the UCONN legacy. Now Elite 8 that becomes something of the Past if Baylor makes it through but for a team like Iowa who does not see UCONN every year this may still exist ?

No idea if the players will be affected by it. All I can hope is they take a "we have nothing to lost" kind of attitude. I think Czinano is a very emotionally mature and steady player (she's also the only junior in our starting line-up otherwise comprised of Sophomores + Clark), but the other guards look nervous, at times, to me.

Iowa's history facing top-ranked teams in recent years includes getting ousted by #1 overall Baylor in the 2019 Elite Eight, and in November 2018 we played a non-conference game against Notre Dame who at the time were reigning national champs and ranked #1 I think. Obviously we have played Maryland a bunch and beaten them 3 times in the last 3 years, but not this season of course.

We have never beaten a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament. Then again, we had never advanced to the Sweet-16 without having the homecourt advantage as the higher seed, either. Until this year Twisted Evil

As a fan I was already shell-shocked watching us face Kentucky and Rhyne Howard Laughing

pilight

PostPosted: 03/27/21 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The most hyped matchup of March Madness is happening on the women's side — whether the NCAA likes it or not

https://www.insider.com/march-madness-most-anticipated-matchup-paige-bueckers-vs-caitlin-clark-2021-3

Quote:
Though viewership ratings have not yet been released, ESPN's Women's Tournament Challenge grew 103% year-over-year, per Adweek's Mollie Cahillane, setting a new all-time record. And according to reporting from The Northern Star, ESPN found that "Twitter references of the NCAA Women's tournament are up almost 90% during games compared to two seasons ago."

PostPosted: 03/27/21 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No Nika.

https://twitter.com/UConnWBB/status/1375842325734232066

Williams on Clark, I'd guess?

Shades

PostPosted: 03/27/21 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Williams didn’t have much success guarding Dungee.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
singinerd54

PostPosted: 03/27/21 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Williams didn’t have much success guarding Dungee.

Oof, the understatement. Who'd you recommend? Westbrook? Bueckers? Griffin?

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/27/21 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
No Nika.

https://twitter.com/UConnWBB/status/1375842325734232066

Williams on Clark, I'd guess?

I'd like to see Clark and Bueckers guard each other but that's probably unlikely. I think Bueckers is a better defender than Williams, but Williams will probably get the primary assignment to protect Bueckers. But UConn's MTM defense is very flexible, switchy and hedgy, so lots of players will likely guard Clark.

UConn also plays a lot more zone than they used to, but that might be a big mistake against Iowa, which shoots the highest 3FG% in D1 at 40.7%.

On the other hand, Iowa may very well play a pack-the-paint zone because UConn is only 50th in 3FG% at 34.7% and sometimes goes ice cold from the arc.
Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 03/27/21 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Goooo Hawkeyes!!

mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/27/21 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There were 25 players ranked ahead of Edwards in this class... Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 03/27/21 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ONO getting rebounds in the 1Q but invisible as a scorer. That's got to change.
undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/27/21 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iowa's inability to grab a defensive board makes me pull my hair out Confused Mad Crying or Very sad Embarassed Everyone looks nervous.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/27/21 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the height differential is really a problem for Iowa here.

And Edwards and Westbrook having amazing games.

singinerd54

PostPosted: 03/27/21 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
There were 25 players ranked ahead of Edwards in this class... Laughing Laughing

My favorite is that ESPN's rankings had her as a wing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Westbrook!! This is what we want all the time!! Very Happy

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/27/21 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I think the height differential is really a problem for Iowa here.

And Edwards and Westbrook having amazing games.

Yeah... If Iowa doesn't start getting more rebounds this game is over. We don't really have an answer for them at the 2, 3, and 4 positions.

Makes me sad that the announcers can't even get the first names of Iowa's players correct. Maybe should have spent a little less time fan girling over Clark a little more time realizing there are 11 other players on our team. Rolling Eyes

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/27/21 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The 'let 'em play' attitude is also not to Iowa's benefit. ONE foul called to this point? When have we ever seen that?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: