RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Wooden Award Finalists

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/26/21 4:57 pm    ::: Wooden Award Finalists Reply Reply with quote

https://www.woodenaward.com/john_r_wooden_award_presented_by_wendy_s_announces_2020_21_women_s_all_american_team

Paige Bueckers
Aliyah Boston
Dana Evans
NaLyssa Smith
Rhyne Howard

This is a fine list, but no love for Naz Hillmon? Or Caitlin Clark.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/26/21 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not much room for love when there are only five slots. Clark and Hillmon are likely casualties of the unrelenting ESPN and pundit favoritism towards Louisville and Kentucky.

I'd put Clark on the team, second only to Bueckers and not by much.

Even though Hillmon shows no shot over five feet and hence is very suspect as a 6-2 player for the WNBA, one cannot deny her effectiveness and impact on the college game, so I'd put her on the team over either Howard or Smith. Howard seems like a more versatile player than Smith, but Smith's team has a lot more wins, which should count for something.
calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/26/21 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Not much room for love when there are only five slots. Clark and Hillmon are likely casualties of the unrelenting ESPN and pundit favoritism towards Louisville and Kentucky.

Even though Hillmon shows no shot over five feet and hence is very suspect as a 6-2 player for the WNBA, one cannot deny her effectiveness and impact on the college game, so I'd put her on the team over either Howard or Smith. Howard seems like a more versatile player than Smith, but Smith's team has a lot more wins, which should count for something.

I think this is far less about favoritism towards anyone, but rather a matter of with whom. ESPN has it contracts. The SEC and ACC both have networks run by ESPN and those conferences get more coverage. The Big 10 and the Pac 12 both have their own networks not run by ESPN. In this environment NaLyssa Smith should get special kudos for getting the nod.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/26/21 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

I think this is far less about favoritism towards anyone, but rather a matter of with whom. ESPN has it contracts. The SEC and ACC both have networks run by ESPN and those conferences get more coverage. The Big 10 and the Pac 12 both have their own networks not run by ESPN. In this environment NaLyssa Smith should get special kudos for getting the nod.

I agree with a lot of this, re: the SEC and ACC favoritism. I agree Hillmon's skillset combined with her size is not a good match for the W, but these awards are based on a college player's impact in college, and not their pro potential, which is why I'd give Hillmon the nod, as Glenn said.

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/27/21 7:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

I agree with a lot of this, re: the SEC and ACC favoritism. I agree Hillmon's skillset combined with her size is not a good match for the W, but these awards are based on a college player's impact in college, and not their pro potential, which is why I'd give Hillmon the nod, as Glenn said.

I've been saying this all season. ESPN tried and tried and tried, with all of their might, to make the NPOY conversation between Dana Evans and Rhyne Howard, until finally, they just couldn't do it anymore. I'll also say this, if Boston had averaged 16ppg, she would be the NPOY, because it's clear the commentators tout her the most.

My AA team is:
Bueckers
Boston
Clark
Hillmon
Smith

And, as for Hillmon, the player and her W potential-does she remind anyone else of a less athletic version of Gabby Williams?

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/27/21 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I love conspiracy theories ...

So I'm a Wooden voter and have been for many years. I'm easy to find.

I have never, ever been contacted by anyone about my vote. I've never received promotional material, nothing.

When I voted on the McDonald's teams, the same was true.

Bottom line: No one cares enough about these awards to promote them. The voters vote on their own criteria and this is what you get.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: