RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#6 Texas vs #2 Maryland - 3/28/21
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
Texas
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Maryland
90%
 90%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 10

Howee

PostPosted: 03/28/21 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Ya, Vic is good. But....not THAT good. MD by 12 or more.

Hmmm. I shall take MY Crow done well. With a nice bernaise sauce, please. Razz

myrtle wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
Tally24 wrote:
That Lambert layup may have been the first and only fast break points for Texas?

Couldn't have come at a better time! Multiple uncharacteristically reckless/lazy passes from Owusu in the last few minutes of this game.

and once she had lost the ball, Owusu made close to zero effort to get down the floor to defend. Actually I noticed Texas guards attacked her all game, and usually easily got around her.

Yeah, I was thinking of your earlier question about her pro-prospect when I saw that happening. Her foot speed ain't pro-ready. I do enjoy watching her, tho....she reminds me a bit of Chantal Osahar in her energy expenditure: a true minimalist. Laughing

Last edited by Howee on 03/28/21 10:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/28/21 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maryland totally lost it! I mean, they completely tightened up! ~SMDH~

For once I seem to have backed the right horse. Meanwhile the gamecasters coming up with stupid scenarios on how Maryland could win it.

So I understand the team being disappointed and walking into the tunnel, but the expression on Brenda’s face...wow. Apparently she thought they deserved this one...but to my mind, they just didn’t work for it hard enough. Texas wanted it more.

PostPosted: 03/28/21 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yep they choked good shooters couldn’t hit a shot when it mattered most.
Hate to see Sc in the final four again ....

RP

PostPosted: 03/28/21 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Only person happier than Vic Schaefer right now is Dawn Staley. 12-3 head-to-head including a 5-0 record in tournament (championship) games.

TechDawgMc

PostPosted: 03/28/21 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
Is Texas' bench depleted?? Vic only played one reserve, who scored all of 1 point in the game. Are they short on players??

I don’t think they ever played many. Just 2-3 other players who’d see 5 minutes in a game

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 03/28/21 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RP wrote:
Only person happier than Vic Schaefer right now is Dawn Staley. 12-3 head-to-head including a 5-0 record in tournament (championship) games.

In how many of those 15 games was Aja Wilson on her roster?

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/28/21 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:

Yup. The second best 3-point% team in the nation goes 5/22 from deep. Few 3's plus not many fast break opportunities really knocked them out off their game.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/28/21 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I still can't believe they didn't review that WWE-esque takedown. Like, damn, she did her best to pull that Longhorn's leg off.

(now with spelling variations)
undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/28/21 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I still can't believe they didn't review that WWE-esque takedown. Like, damn, she did her best to pull that Longhorn's leg off.

Laughing All that from Lil Miss Mimi! Laughing

singinerd54

PostPosted: 03/28/21 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Howee wrote:
Ya, Vic is good. But....not THAT good. MD by 12 or more.

Hmmm. I shall take MY Crow done well. With a nice bernaise sauce, please. Razz

Can we share a crow pie, perhaps, too? Laughing

Milks26

PostPosted: 03/29/21 12:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
blaase22 wrote:

Yup. The second best 3-point% team in the nation goes 5/22 from deep. Few 3's plus not many fast break opportunities really knocked them out off their game.

Aja was no where in the building in 2020

PostPosted: 03/29/21 12:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would've liked SC to be the one that took down Maryland but, congrats to Vic. First year with the school and on to the Elite 8.

Overall, I think home court advantage helped Texas greatly. Seriously, they were playing an hour and half from their campus. It will be a fun game once again between Vic and Dawn.

PostPosted: 03/29/21 2:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
That Lambert layup may have been the first and only fast break points for Texas?

Supper happy for Kyra after all she’s been through.

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/29/21 8:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Tally24 wrote:

Couldn't have come at a better time! Multiple uncharacteristically reckless/lazy passes from Owusu in the last few minutes of this game.

I love Awusu, but we must not forget, that even as a sophomore, this is her first S16. And not only that, it was a game where Texas totally flipped the script on Maryland and made them play a style that they just can't win with. I bet she was so frustrated. I've watched a lot of B1G games this year because they played a lot in weekday afternoons and that's when I can watch because of my job. I never saw Maryland play a grinder of a game. I don't think one can ever emulate what a team coached by Vic can do on the floor.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/29/21 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
Tally24 wrote:

I love Awusu, but we must not forget, that even as a sophomore, this is her first S16. And not only that, it was a game where Texas totally flipped the script on Maryland and made them play a style that they just can't win with. I bet she was so frustrated. I've watched a lot of B1G games this year because they played a lot in weekday afternoons and that's when I can watch because of my job. I never saw Maryland play a grinder of a game. I don't think one can ever emulate what a team coached by Vic can do on the floor.

Yup. This whole crop of sophomores (on every team) has zero tournament experience. The closest thing to a grinder was Maryland's first game against Northwestern--the only time they scored less than 70. But the thing is, Northwestern's D is more about quickness, whereas Texas brought size and physicality, too.

I've watched Maryland a lot this year too, and seeing them try to run a quarter-court offense under high duress seemed so foreign! Hadn't seen a Maryland team look like that since last year. Reminded me a bit actually of Iowa's 66-61 victory over Maryland back in January of 2020 (last season). That game was also a grinder until the end, which was highly unusual for both teams. Owusu and Miller both played in that game but not as starters.

greg5222

PostPosted: 03/29/21 9:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why didn't Angel Reese play in the 2nd half? Injury?

PEACE & LOVE GO TERPS!!!!!

PostPosted: 03/29/21 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is This Your Unstoppable Offense?

https://defector.com/is-this-your-unstoppable-offense/

Quote:
Because what happens next is funnier for it, let me just share with you some more phrases used (rightfully!) in sports media to describe this year’s Maryland team: “on another level,” “supremely balanced,” “best offense in the country,” “evoking memories of 2006 national champions,” “has a real chance to go to the Final Four and maybe win it all,” “the most potent offense in women’s college basketball,” “no weaknesses,” “ruthless and relentless.”

They ruthed and relented.

PostPosted: 03/29/21 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thoughts on the outcome of the game:

I had been totally unimpressed with Charli Collier, which continued through the first half. Second half Collier was a game changer for me. With Texas being successful in forcing Md to run half court offense, Collier's defense was stifling. And the fact that she was finally taking - and making - some shots and getting to the free throw line - and making her shots - gave Texas the edge they needed to win the game.

Kyra Lambert. As a Duke fan, I'd been rooting for her to transfer out of JPM/Duke the entire time she was at Duke. I could not be happier for her to finally play for a good coach! Last night she played like I knew she could, doing things she wasn't allowed to do at Duke.

All the pre-game predictions of Maryland blowing away Texas reminded me of Coach G led Duke facing Tennessee in the Elite 8 in 1999. People were openly mocking me for simply stating that Duke could win. I didn't even say they would win - just that Duke COULD win. Even many Duke fans were looking at me like I'd lost it. But I knew how good Coach G was at game planning and having players ready to execute the gameplan. I did not foresee Georgia Schweitzer being THAT good. But the defense of Peppi Browne, Rochelle Parent and Lauren Rice put Duke in a position for Georgia's offense to win the game.

Agree 100% with HuskieManiac - Vic Shaefer showed the difference a great coach can make. He had the vision PLUS ability to teach that vision to the players so they could execute it. BIG kudos to Vic Shaefer!!!

~rAf
undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/29/21 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Is This Your Unstoppable Offense?

https://defector.com/is-this-your-unstoppable-offense/

Quote:
Because what happens next is funnier for it, let me just share with you some more phrases used (rightfully!) in sports media to describe this year’s Maryland team: “on another level,” “supremely balanced,” “best offense in the country,” “evoking memories of 2006 national champions,” “has a real chance to go to the Final Four and maybe win it all,” “the most potent offense in women’s college basketball,” “no weaknesses,” “ruthless and relentless.”

They ruthed and relented.

This article also hints that Angel Reese may be looking to transfer??? Shocked

Quote:
But these bizarre tournament upsets have now happened to Frese a lot in the last five years. And while it seems promising that this team, Maryland’s best shot at a championship in a while, is anchored by a young core of players who should return, keeping the group together might be its own challenge. Frese had two starters transfer last year, and barely half an hour after yesterday’s game ended, freshman star Angel Reese was liking and retweeting various complaints about the limited minutes she got down the stretch. The vibes are not good.

My question about this game still remains: Do you credit Texas's defense for flustering Maryland's shooters, leading to a 3-point% so much below their average? Or was it simply an off night for Maryland's shooters -- the kind that could happen to any team at any time?

Overall Freese did a great job in bringing this squad together, but their inexperience working together under pressure really showed last night.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/29/21 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:

Quote:
But these bizarre tournament upsets have now happened to Frese a lot in the last five years. And while it seems promising that this team, Maryland’s best shot at a championship in a while, is anchored by a young core of players who should return, keeping the group together might be its own challenge. Frese had two starters transfer last year, and barely half an hour after yesterday’s game ended, freshman star Angel Reese was liking and retweeting various complaints about the limited minutes she got down the stretch. The vibes are not good.

Holy WTF, Batman. Yeah, that's the kind of player I want on my team, someone passive-aggressively bitching her minutes while the press conference is going on.

(now with spelling variations)
undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/29/21 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

Quote:

Holy WTF, Batman. Yeah, that's the kind of player I want on my team, someone passive-aggressively bitching her minutes while the press conference is going on.

Queenie you always crack me up Laughing

Tally24

PostPosted: 03/29/21 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

Quote:

Holy WTF, Batman. Yeah, that's the kind of player I want on my team, someone passive-aggressively bitching her minutes while the press conference
is going on.

https://twitter.com/Reese10Angel/likes

If you look at her "liked" tweets, there are even more. She liked a Tweet that said:

Quote:
So fr did anybody ask Brenda about the decision to sit Angel Reese Eyes

and the reply that said:

Quote:
Same!!!! I don’t understand @BrendaFrese! You have a STAR on the sideline in late game action. Typical Brenda move. No wonder she loss 5 starters last season
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/29/21 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:

My question about this game still remains: Do you credit Texas's defense for flustering Maryland's shooters, leading to a 3-point% so much below their average? Or was it simply an off night for Maryland's shooters -- the kind that could happen to any team at any time?

My boring and trite opinion is that it was probably a combination of three things.

If the shooters are being denied sufficient space-time to shoot, then it's the defense. There was some of that.

If the shooters are missing wide open shots, then it could be mental fear of the closing defense that interferes with physical shooting touch, or it could just be game-long bad luck. There probably was some of that and that.

That's three thats.
undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/29/21 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looking back at her likes, I see she was liking tweets wondering why she was coming off the bench even after their win over Alabama and beforehand. Is she just liking it out of self-confidence (and rightfully so!) or is it a passive-aggressive swipe at the coaching staff? I find it funny but also sad if she doesn't feel supported there? Or is it ego?

Tally24

PostPosted: 03/29/21 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Looking back at her likes, I see she was liking tweets wondering why she was coming off the bench even after their win over Alabama and beforehand. Is she just liking it out of self-confidence (and rightfully so!) or is it a passive-aggressive swipe at the coaching staff? I find it funny but also sad if she doesn't feel supported there? Or is it ego?

The one that I find most telling is the "that's how Brenda lost 5 starters last year." I feel like she can't be super happy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: