RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#5 Iowa vs #1 Connecticut - 3/27/21
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
Iowa
39%
 39%  [ 9 ]
Connecticut
60%
 60%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 23

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/27/21 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
myrtle wrote:
I think the height differential is really a problem for Iowa here.

And Edwards and Westbrook having amazing games.

Yeah... If Iowa doesn't start getting more rebounds this game is over. We don't really have an answer for them at the 2, 3, and 4 positions.

Makes me sad that the announcers can't even get the first names of Iowa's players correct. Maybe should have spent a little less time fan girling over Clark a little more time realizing there are 11 other players on our team. Rolling Eyes

What do you expect, u_p? Homer game callers.

PostPosted: 03/27/21 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So westbrook is allowed to just slap people on the head Laughing

mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/27/21 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
I could see a starting lineup next year of Edwards plus 4 guards with ONO coming off the bench.

ONO's defense, (defensive) rebounding, shot blocking, and passing are critical components for UConn. I think both posts should start, though it wouldn't surprise me to see this same starting lineup if Evina returns.

so no Azzi?

Geno prefers to bring Freshman off the bench. TBH, even if Westbrook leaves, I could see him starting Griffin in her place instead of Azzi.

PostPosted: 03/27/21 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:

Seriously!!

mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/27/21 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:

She slid her feet and had a right to that spot, Clark banged her head into Evina’s stomach.

PostPosted: 03/27/21 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can't believe UConn has so much trouble stopping Warnock both on the outside and inside. Is she usually this good?
singinerd54

PostPosted: 03/27/21 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
I could see a starting lineup next year of Edwards plus 4 guards with ONO coming off the bench.

ONO's defense, (defensive) rebounding, shot blocking, and passing are critical components for UConn. I think both posts should start, though it wouldn't surprise me to see this same starting lineup if Evina returns.

so no Azzi?

I would start Azzi in place of one of the perimeter players rather than in place of either post, which would likely mean instead of Nika.

My starting lineup for next year as of today would be Paige-Christyn-Aaliyah-ONO-whichever perimeter player makes the most sense (Evina, Nika, Azzi, or other!).

(Disclaimer: I've never seen Azzi play. If she's at or close to Paige's level, hard to imagine she doesn't start, though Geno's history suggests she wouldn't start immediately, particularly since she may not "need to.")

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/27/21 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Can't believe UConn has so much trouble stopping Warnock both on the outside and inside. Is she usually this good?

Yes, she is surprisingly good driving to the basket (and spotting up for 3) for someone who isn't very fast or agile. Miss Wisconsin basketball her senior year of high school.

Agree with the foul calls--refs are allowing a lot of contact and Iowa needs those calls if we want a chance. At least it's been pretty consistent throughout the game.

Last edited by undersized_post on 03/27/21 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
singinerd54

PostPosted: 03/27/21 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

This!! She has not gotten the credit she deserves from the announcers (not shocking, and still worth noting). She's been stellar.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/27/21 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iowa was only down by 9, and then our wing fumbles the ball out of bounds on two straight possessions coming out of the media timeout. Shocked ***sighs deeply***

We had a chance, however slim, but that was the end of the game right there.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 03/27/21 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This game wasn't that impressive to me. Iowa is not much different than the AAC/BigEast opponents CT has played against for the past decade, with the exception that they are a better perimeter shooting team.

Iowa is deficit in terms of length, physicality, floor speed, athleticism, and strength to CT. Its like CT is playing at Gear 5, while Iowa is stuck in Gear 4 - their 3-pt shooting has kept this game from being the typical 30-40 pt blowout most conference games involving CT end up being.

When CT drives to the basket, they immediately leave the Iowa girls in their wake because those girls are just not reflexively fast enough to present obstacles, while when Iowa drives the CT girls are immediately in their grills and they stay there, forcing the Hawkeyes girls to have to stop and give up the ball. And its been this way all game long.

Iowa really wasn't much of a competitive match for CT, 5-player unit-wise. Their 5 Post is good in the post at finishing when her teammates can get the ball to her consistently, but she is all by herself going up against Nelson-Ododa and Edwards, who both are quicker and stronger than she is.....

linkster

PostPosted: 03/27/21 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With 16 seconds left in the game and a 20 pt lead Bueckers takes a charge. You really have to love basketball to do that.

singinerd54

PostPosted: 03/27/21 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The UConn-Iowa line is interesting. It's about right in the sense that the difference is equally likely to fall on either side of it but I can't imagine the game being decided by anything close to that number. Either UConn will win big or it will be a 1-2 possession game. The Hussies winning by 13-14 seems like a very unlikely outcome.

This is from a different thread. Interestingly, this was the exact range that the majority of the game was played in. I, too, wouldn't have expected it to go that way.

Also interesting that Geno went with Anna for the majority of the fourth quarter/end of game rather than Aaliyah, who was excellent throughout. Very pleased that both her shots went in.

We'll need Evina and Christyn to be this aggressive (and ideally this effective) against Baylor (GO MICHIGAN Laughing ).

Looked like a nice little chat between Geno and Clark after the game, too, which is great.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/27/21 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Post game interview, Holly Rowe opens a question to Evina by saying, "I know we're guilty of hyping up the match-up with Clark and Paige, but...."

YA THINK???

I wonder what Geno said to Caitlin at the end of the game. Looked like an extended conversation.

Last edited by undersized_post on 03/27/21 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/27/21 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry about Muhl's ankle, but I certainly wouldn't want her taking any significant minutes, starting or otherwise, from Edwards, Williams or Westbrook.

I expect Geno, as usual, will go with six or seven players in the tourney. Makurat improved her chances for minutes by finally taking and making some 3's.
mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/27/21 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Sorry about Muhl's ankle, but I certainly wouldn't want her taking any significant minutes, starting or otherwise, from Edwards, Williams or Westbrook.

I expect Geno, as usual, will go with six or seven players in the tourney. Makurat improved her chances for minutes by finally taking and making some 3's.

This game.

The problems with ONO and Williams is they aren’t consistent. (Actually, ONO is consistently subpar against great teams) And when Evina isn’t shooting well (as she’s hot or cold) Nika is a better player to have on the floor over her too. Let’s not pretend we haven’t watched the big games, and saw that its the Freshman that have consistently shown up.

And she easily gets minutes over Anna and Griffin.

So I guess the point is, okay who is helping us...I just expect that elite 8 and beyond, it’ll be Nika, Paige, Aaliyah, ??, ??.

Last edited by mercfan3 on 03/27/21 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 03/27/21 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

And that is the answer to the above question of why she was given the minutes she was: Iowa wasn't presenting any inside presence that required more minutes from the bigs, while Iowa's 3-pt shooting was keeping them close. Auriemma brought Makurat in to provide more perimeter offense for CT, while she was still big enough to match Iowa's size. It was small risk big reward....

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/27/21 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even though Iowa ended up losing by 20, it was a more competitive game than I expected. This game was much closer, for example, than the Iowa/Kentucky game in which Iowa ended up winning by just 14.

The upside for Iowa is we played most of the game with only freshmen and sophomores (plus Czinano). We have some decent recruiting classes coming in in the next couple years, too.

Kind of an anti-climatic end of the season, though. I couldn't even really enjoy watching because the announcers wouldn't STFU about Caitlin and Paige.

Iowa had a great season. We were projected to finish in the bottom half of the Big Ten and not even make the NCAA tournament. And here we are in the Sweet 16, only trailing by 9 points in the fourth quarter to a team that many consider to be #1 in the country. Proud of us <3

Tally24

PostPosted: 03/27/21 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought this was a fun game, and a great game to be on the ABC broadcast. It was an offensive showcase and a “pretty” game with shot-making, a nice flow up and down the court, and not too many stoppages for free throws.

This was a broadcast, whether you like it or not, could grow the game for the casual viewer. I want the game to grow, so I found it to be an impressive game that was not the blowout the final score shows.

Sometimes I really don’t know what you people want. You want the game to grow, but try to protect it like a greedy dragon.
undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/27/21 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

The problems with ONO and Williams is they aren’t consistent. (Actually, ONO is consistently subpar against great teams) And when Evina isn’t shooting well (as she’s hot or cold) Nika is a better player to have on the floor over her too. Let’s not pretend we haven’t watched the big games, and saw that its the Freshman that have consistently shown up.

So I guess the point is, okay who is helping us...I just expect that elite 8 and beyond, it’ll be Nika, Paige, Aaliyah, ??, ??.

Look, if y'all are in a position to be disparaging your 5-star recruits, you're in a pretty good place. Laughing I'd say, be grateful for the depth of riches y'all have.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/27/21 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
I thought this was a fun game, and a great game to be on the ABC broadcast. It was an offensive showcase and a “pretty” game with shot-making, a nice flow up and down the court, and not too many stoppages for free throws.

This was a broadcast, whether you like it or not, could grow the game for the casual viewer. I want the game to grow, so I found it to be an impressive game that was not the blowout the final score shows.

Sometimes I really don’t know what you people want. You want the game to grow, but try to protect it like a greedy dragon.

I agree. It was a fun game with lots of offense which is what the casual fan wants to watch.

singinerd54

PostPosted: 03/27/21 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:

Well said. Particularly in light of the current Michigan-Baylor game, which, while close, is not pleasant to watch.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/27/21 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

Look, if y'all are in a position to be disparaging your 5-star recruits, you're in a pretty good place. :lol: I'd say, be grateful for the depth of riches y'all have.

Mercfan is consistent. She prefers an unknown freshman player from Croatia who averages 5 PPG, 2.4 RPG, and has the second worst FG% on the team (.382), better only than high school player Poffenbarger, to the first ranked player (Williams) and second ranked player (Westbrook) in their respective USA high school classes, and both of whom have won all sorts of All-Conference awards in the AAC/BEC and the SEC, whereas Muhl has won and been nominated for nothing.

The odd thing is that Geno oft seems to agree with Mercfan.
mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/27/21 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

Look, if y'all are in a position to be disparaging your 5-star recruits, you're in a pretty good place. Laughing I'd say, be grateful for the depth of riches y'all have.

Mercfan is consistent. She prefers an unknown freshman player from Croatia who averages 5 PPG, 2.4 RPG, and has the second worst FG% on the team (.382), better only than high school player Poffenbarger, to the first ranked player (Williams) and second ranked player (Westbrook) in their respective USA high school classes, and both of whom have won all sorts of All-Conference awards in the AAC/BEC and the SEC, whereas Muhl has won and been nominated for nothing.

The odd thing is that Geno oft seems to agree with Mercfan.

Cause I’ve based my impression off of what I’ve seen this season.

It’s pretty simple, of Williams, Westbrook and Muhl..Muhl is the best defender. And it’s not really close.

So then the question becomes, are both Evina and Williams playing well enough offensively, to be worth more on the court than Muhl’s defense? We both know the answer is usually no. Usually one will be, but not both. In fact, Today might have been the first game all year where they were both on.

If they are both producing offensively, is ONO’s game effective enough to keep Muhl on the bench? Against good teams? Probably not.

Muhl is consistent enough that I know what we’re gonna get for her. The kid plays great intense defense and makes open threes. We have yet to have a big game where this production is outdone by all three players.

Today I would have sat ONO. And tbh, most big games, that’s who I’d sit. But if Evina isn’t hitting, and we need size, sometimes she’s the one I’d choose. The only time I’d really choose Williams is when she’s too aggressive and a little out of control.. and missing, which she’s done a few times, but I do think she’s much more consistent then ONO.

So really, what I’m saying is..I want the 5 players playing the best on the court the most, and I just expect it to be Paige, Aaliyah, Nika..and two of the others.

Last edited by mercfan3 on 03/27/21 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 03/27/21 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Williams had her Tina Charles junior season light switch moment last month.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: