RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

How many players are required to play a game?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/25/21 1:11 pm    ::: How many players are required to play a game? Reply Reply with quote

I was thinking about this in the UCLA game yesterday since they have been so short handed.

The best I can find googling around is that each conference sets its own rules.
So here's about the Mountain West: https://thecomeback.com/ncaa/new-mexico-lobos-may-be-done-playing-college-basketball-this-season.html

And I found one about BC:
Quote:
While other leagues have minimum standards for available players for a game to proceed, the ACC's protocols aren't as specific. But Christian said his school's health officials have told him a team needs eight available players to compete in a league game.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/30816592/boston-college-men-basketball-4-scholarship-players-vs-florida-state-due-covid-19-protocols

I have seen games where they end up with less than 5 on the floor - usually due to foul outs, but how many are required to start the game.

It would seem that for the ncaa tourney there would be an NCAA specific rule.

Anyone know what it is?

pilight

PostPosted: 03/25/21 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's Rule 3.2

Quote:
Art. 1. At the start of the game, each team shall consist of five players, one of
whom shall be the captain.
Art. 2. Each team may continue to play with fewer than five players when all
other team members are not eligible or able to play.
Art. 3. When there is only one player participating for a team, that team shall
forfeit unless the referee believes that both teams have an opportunity to win.

PostPosted: 03/25/21 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
It's Rule 3.2

Quote:
Art. 1. At the start of the game, each team shall consist of five players, one of

It would sure make inbounding interesting!!!

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Queenie

PostPosted: 03/25/21 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
pilight wrote:
It's Rule 3.2

Quote:

You'd pretty much have to do the thing where you bounce it off the other player's butt on every possession. The other team might object after a while.

PostPosted: 03/25/21 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
pilight wrote:
It's Rule 3.2

Quote:

You'd pretty much have to do the thing where you bounce it off the other player's butt on every possession. The other team might object after a while.

Yeah, that would be the only way.

A coach that doesn't want to be fired after the game would send all of the players to the other end to prevent that from happening.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/25/21 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
It's Rule 3.2

Quote:

I don't think this rule necessarily answers Myrtle's question. Strictly, it only says that the starting team on the floor must have five players -- not four or six or anything else. It says nothing about whether other NCAA or conference rules can require the entire team to have more players available than the floor starting five.

However, if there are no other NCAA or conference rules to the contrary, I would interpret that rule to allow a game to proceed if the starting five are the only players on the team.

In other words, five players are necessary but may not be sufficient if some other rule says so.
mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/26/21 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Didn’t most conferences have a rule of seven, or was that a NCAA thing? I seem to remember news feed stories where teams did not meet the minimum number of available players, so games were canceled.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 03/26/21 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All you need is 5 (all together now)
All you need is 5 (everybody)
All you need is 5 (5)

5 is all you need
(5 is all you need)
5 is all you need
(5 is all you need)
5 is all you need
(5 is all you need)
5 is all you need
(5 is all you need)
5 is all you need
(5 is all you need)
5 is all you need
(5 is all you need)
5 is all you need
(5 is all you need)

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/26/21 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

COVID-era rule.
Quote:
In addition to the tests, each team must have five eligible players to participate.

https://www.si.com/college/2021/03/12/covid-19-protocols-ncaa-basketball-tournament

I did find this, but I'm pretty sure that it isn't correct.

Quote:
The major difference is that college teams must have 13 players suit up each game — whereas the NBA allows teams 12 or 13 players.

https://coachingkidz.com/how-many-players-are-on-a-basketball-team-nba-ncaa-youth]

I'd say that the number required to suit up at the beginning of a game is five. I can't see any reason that the NCAA would put a limit on how many are required over five. If a coach feels like they can play/win the game with only five players, who is the NCAA to tell them that they need more? All that would happen is that the coach would grab eligible players from other sports, put a uni on them and tell them to not get in the way. Sit on the bench and keep your hands to yourself (so they don't grab a ball that is still in play.)

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/26/21 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is the rule (standard?) I remember being cited from a conference:

https://www.si.com/college/cal/basketball/pac-12-basketball-testing-policies

Quote:
The Pac-12 announced its testing policies for men's and women's basketball on Tuesday, and it outlined how many players need to be available to play a game.

A team is considered available to play a game if it has at least seven scholarship players and one coach available to participate.

However, a team can still elect to play a game if it has fewer than the minimum number of players available for a scheduled game. If that team elects not to play with fewer than seven players, the game may be rescheduled or declared a no contest.

In other words, a team must play if it has at least seven players available, but could choose to play with just five or six players available.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: