RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#12 UC Davis vs #5 Missouri St - 3/22/21

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 03/18/21 10:46 pm    ::: #12 UC Davis vs #5 Missouri St - 3/22/21 Reply Reply with quote

NCAA Tournament First Round
Alamo Region
San Antonio, TX - 7:30 PM ET

TV: ESPNU (Sam Ravech, Brenda VanLengen)

Video stream:
https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/24871f7d-644a-489e-96b4-d8ed593b8816#bucketId=1 (tvpli)

Audio:
https://listen.streamon.fm/kwto

Live stats:
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/game?gameId=401311215

https://www.statbroadcast.com/ncaa/bracket.php?tid=d1wbb

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 03/22/21 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total
undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/21/21 11:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm wondering how UC Davis earned a 12-seed. The last two times they made the tournament, they were seeded 16th and 15th. I thought some of the weaker mid-major conferences tended to have a certain reputation, and the champ of that conferences usually ended up around the same seed. Anyone have insight to this?

My thoughts are...did geography play a role in seeding of the previous tournaments? (UC Davis was placed against Stanford in each case, who happened to be a 1-seed and then a 2-seed.) Or, did the committee respect UC Davis's 6-point loss to Oregon as a "good loss"?

Shades

PostPosted: 03/22/21 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice mid vs mid for myrtle’s pleasure.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/22/21 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Winner of this one will face another mid-major since Wright St took down Arkansas Cool

I haven't been able to watch Missouri St all season but I caught UC Davis's conference championship game.

Edit: Thinking about it, this match-up will guarantee us a mid-major in the Sweet-16 Laughing

calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/22/21 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
I'm wondering how UC Davis earned a 12-seed. The last two times they made the tournament, they were seeded 16th and 15th. I thought some of the weaker mid-major conferences tended to have a certain reputation, and the champ of that conferences usually ended up around the same seed. Anyone have insight to this?

My thoughts are...did geography play a role in seeding of the previous tournaments? (UC Davis was placed against Stanford in each case, who happened to be a 1-seed and then a 2-seed.) Or, did the committee respect UC Davis's 6-point loss to Oregon as a "good loss"?

I expected them as a 14 seed based on their best win being over San Francisco. This was the best UC Davis team ever, going undefeated until the last weekend of the regular season (a loss at Hawaii). I think the loss to Oregon may have played a role, but it appears that the Committee seeded the bottom teams based on their NET rating. The bottom 4 in the NET were the 16 seeds, the next 3 lowest were all 15 seeds. Marist was bumped down from 14 to 15 and VCU was bumped up from a 14 to a 13. Central Michigan was bumped from a 13 to a 12 and Bradley was bumped from a 13 to an 11(the Braves had 2 Quadrant 1 wins), but otherwise the NET was followed. The only departure was SF Austin being dropped to a 12 despite being 19 in the NET.

As for their previous seeding the Committee often moved low seeded teams one line if it allowed them to play somewhat locally)

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/22/21 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

I expected them as a 14 seed based on their best win being over San Francisco. This was the best UC Davis team ever, going undefeated until the last weekend of the regular season (a loss at Hawaii). I think the loss to Oregon may have played a role, but it appears that the Committee seeded the bottom teams based on their NET rating. The bottom 4 in the NET were the 16 seeds, the next 3 lowest were all 15 seeds. Marist was bumped down from 14 to 15 and VCU was bumped up from a 14 to a 13. Central Michigan was bumped from a 13 to a 12 and Bradley was bumped from a 13 to an 11(the Braves had 2 Quadrant 1 wins), but otherwise the NET was followed. The only departure was SF Austin being dropped to a 12 despite being 19 in the NET.

As for their previous seeding the Committee often moved low seeded teams one line if it allowed them to play somewhat locally)

Thank you for this explanation! Do you have any idea why VCU and CMU were bumped up? I'm particularly interested because they both ended up playing my two favorite schools Smile

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/23/21 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Missouri State-Wright State should be a very interesting game indeed. Noting that most of the MSU players are still Kellie's recruits, but Coach Mox is doing a fine job with them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: