RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Bubble comparison
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howee

PostPosted: 03/22/21 9:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PBS newshour did a great story on this this.

Now I'm thinking....this discrepancy wasn't a *thing* over the last few seasons....was it?? Shocked

PostPosted: 03/23/21 8:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does an action benefit P5 football? Does an action add to collegiate control over athletes? Does an action generate income? Does an action preserve the existing structure of a multi-billion dollar business?

PostPosted: 03/23/21 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nell yes!!!! Is she wanting to be investigated? Shocked Laughing

Quote:
To the NCAA: Thank You!

"Thank you for using the three biggest weeks of your organization's year to expose exactly how you feel about women's basketball — an afterthought.

"Thank you for showing off the disparities between the men's and women's tournament that are on full display in San Antonio, from COVID testing, to lack of weight training facilities, to game floors that hardly tell anyone that it's the NCAA Tournament and many more. But these disparities are just a snapshot of larger, more pervasive issues when it comes to women's sports and the NCAA. Shipping in a few racks of weights, after the fact, is not an answer. It's a band-aid and an afterthought.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nell-fortner-rips-ncaa-for-proving-it-sees-womens-basketball-as-an-afterthought-161522979.html

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/24/21 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NELL YEAH! Nell is someone whose voice can make a big difference here. (And I admire what she's doing with the Tech team too.)

PostPosted: 03/25/21 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congress wants answers from NCAA after weight room disparity at women’s basketball tournament

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/25/congress-wants-answers-from-ncaa-after-weight-room-disparity-at-womens-basketball-tournament.html

Quote:
Officials claim the NCAA has “stark differences in the conditioning facilities, food, publicity and marketing, and even the use of less accurate Covid tests” around the women’s event. The letter calls for the NCAA to honor Title IX, which forbids gender discrimination throughout federally funded education institutions.

Surely something will get done now that the House of Representatives is on the case...

PostPosted: 03/25/21 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Surely something will get done now that the House of Representatives is on the case...

Laughing Laughing Laughing
I still wanna know....is this the FIRST year this disparity was noted, or has the *bubble* concept just made it more visible?

PostPosted: 03/25/21 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing
I still wanna know....is this the FIRST year this disparity was noted, or has the *bubble* concept just made it more visible?

Normally in the men's the subregional sites are responsible for food and facilities and the NCAA has certain requirements in order to bid for one. In the women's the subregionals are at campus sites and the host school is obligated to give the visiting schools the same access and treatment as the home school (with some minimum requirements). So the women's committee doesn't customarily have to deal with the minutiae of facilities and meals and such until the Sweet 16.

PostPosted: 03/25/21 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

People sure aren't holding back!
Quote:
With all that brainpower in NCAA headquarters — contrary to the caricature of the place, most of the people who work there are bright and care deeply about doing their jobs well — you wouldn't think it necessary to hire New York law firm Kaplan Hecker to commission an expensive report about whether your championship tournaments have gender equity gaps after issues were made public by women’s basketball players and coaches last week.

Quote:
Unfortunately, that’s what the academics have decided they want the NCAA president to be. They don’t want a leader or a problem solver or a visionary for the future. They want someone who does the job exactly the way Emmert does: Risk nothing, accomplish little, build a maze of committees and subcommittees and hand off the hard work in a crisis to a boutique law firm that will advise them to do obvious things they should have been doing in the first place.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/columnist/dan-wolken/2021/03/25/ncaa-womens-tournament-lawyers-arent-solution-gender-equity-woes/7002705002/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/25/21 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Washington Post has a searing article on the disparity, but there’s a paywall, so I won’t post a link. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: 03/25/21 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Scroll down to the March 20 at 11:13 pm post.

https://www.facebook.com/Marc-Murphy-Cartoons-195711040642/

pilight

PostPosted: 03/25/21 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I promise that no organization ever has a review, "independent" or not, without knowing the outcome beforehand

PostPosted: 03/25/21 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I promise that no organization ever has a review, "independent" or not, without knowing the outcome beforehand

Yep - that was my reaction when I saw the alert come out that the NCAA had done this. Nothing productive is going to come out of this.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/25/21 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
pilight wrote:

Yep - that was my reaction when I saw the alert come out that the NCAA had done this. Nothing productive is going to come out of this.

And what a waste of money it is.
Quote:
Now, of course, the NCAA is going to shell out more hundreds of thousands of dollars on lawyers — money that would have been much better spent on the front end had a few people with emotional intelligence looked at the amenity budgets between the two tournaments and realized that in 2021 you can’t have a difference between the men and the women.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/26/21 9:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Deadspin on the NCAA (they've been pretty vocal):
https://deadspin.com/firing-mark-emmett-would-be-a-great-first-step-toward-n-1846546430

PostPosted: 03/27/21 12:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am aware of all the lifting that goes on in basketball, but I am surprised it still goes on during a season ending tournament. I would have thought that they would want to stop then. Or actually, they would perform better if they stopped then. In sports like boxing and track I believe all training (not just weight lifting) tapers off before the big competition. And I think it is to the point where the last day or two there is nothing. I seem to recall the concept being that your muscles get "broken down" to some extent in a hard workout and you want them fresh as a daisy for the competition. Although there must be a trade off to where at some point a lack of lifting causes a decline in the muscles. But I would have guessed you could go a few weeks without a significant drop off.

Last edited by tfan on 03/27/21 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total
undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/27/21 1:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
I am aware of all the lifting that goes on in basketball, but I am surprised it still goes on during a season ending tournament. I would have thought that they would want to stop then. Or actually, they would perform better if they stopped then. In sports like boxing and track I believe all training (not just weight lifting) tapers off before the big competition. And I think it is to the point where the last day or two there is nothing. I seem to recall the concept being that your muscles get "broken down" to some extent in a hard workout and you want them fresh as a daisy for the competition. Surprised they want to add weight lifting on top of practice.

Iowa played the first two rounds on Sunday and Tuesday, scout/film Wednesday, practice and lift on Thursday, practice Friday but no team lift, game Saturday.

Twitter feed of the lift (lol): https://twitter.com/IowaWBB/status/1375250137853870080?s=20

I have a feeling this was posted to Twitter as a jest at the NCAA to show that the weights in fact would be used.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/27/21 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why can't NCAA get women's basketball right?

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/sports/ncaaw/2021/03/27/march-madness-why-cant-ncaa-get-womens-basketball-right/7012017002/

Quote:
In discussing interviews that allowed hundreds of people connected with women’s basketball to have input, Ackerman wrote: “My principal observation from the interviews is that there is a tremendous appetite for change in the way Division I women’s basketball is played, marketed and managed. In many cases, the comments I received were tinged with frustration, as it was noted that some of the ideas now being discussed have been ‘kicking around for years,’ demonstrating the difficulty of making change within the NCAA system. No one I spoke with advocated a laissez fair or ‘wait and see’ approach to women’s basketball; the overriding sentiment was that changes of some kind were clearly in order and that the time for action is now.”

Does this sound familiar?

PostPosted: 03/27/21 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

>Why can't NCAA get women's basketball right?

Because it's not football or men's basketball.

PostPosted: 03/27/21 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some of the numbers.
Quote:
Although the NCAA Division I men's basketball championship budget for the 2018-19 season was $28 million -- almost twice as much as the women's budget -- information provided by the NCAA on Friday also shows the men's tournament brought in a total net income of $864.6 million that season. The women's event lost $2.8 million -- the largest loss of any NCAA championship.

Quote:
In the men's tournament, all 32 first- and second-round games are played at neutral sites and result in additional expenses. The men's tournament also has four more teams and an additional round (the First Four).

The NCAA points to the savings made by the reduced expenses for those games as the biggest component explaining a large chunk of the discrepancy in the budgets, but in the information provided to ESPN, the organization specifically details a difference of only $7.1 million:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31141363/ncaa-budget-men-basketball-tournament-almost-twice-much-women-budget

pilight

PostPosted: 03/27/21 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sure how taking money from sites that bid to host subregionals results in more expenses

PostPosted: 03/27/21 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow. Allege?? Did NBC NOT see the pics?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/women-ncaa-tournament-allege-weight-room-disparities-n1261600

pilight

PostPosted: 03/27/21 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/women-ncaa-tournament-allege-weight-room-disparities-n1261600

Photoshop Laughing

PostPosted: 03/27/21 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Photoshop Laughing

Of course! What was I thinking?

pilight

PostPosted: 03/28/21 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

March Madness Inequities Cry Out For Better Data, Understanding Of Basketball Fans

https://www.forbes.com/sites/karenweaver/2021/03/28/march-madness-inequities-cry-out-for-better-data-understanding-of-basketball-fans/?sh=6de3639d241b

Quote:
Those metrics factor into the NCAA’s valuation system; in fact, it leads to comments like “the (women’s) NCAA tournament does not generate any net revenue”.

Really? Are we getting the whole picture?

PostPosted: 03/29/21 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nancy Armour's take.

Quote:
There is no chance of the NCAA men’s basketball tournament sneaking up on you in Indianapolis. “March Madness” signs have popped up alongside Interstate 65, there is a massive, up-to-date bracket on the side of the JW Marriott and the windows of the elevated walkways downtown are covered in colorful, Final Four signage.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/nancy-armour/2021/03/29/ncaa-basketball-tournaments-unequal-treatment-indianapolis-san-antonio/7040022002/

Last edited by Ex-Ref on 03/30/21 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: