RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Bubble comparison
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 03/18/21 1:56 pm    ::: Bubble comparison Reply Reply with quote

Let's look at the differences in the workout equipment for the men's tournament bubble vs the women's...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMkRJ2LswFp/

According to the South Carolina performance coach...

https://twitter.com/CoachBinetti/status/1372222182777049088

Quote:
A weight room will be available once you advance to the sweet 16...
-2 racks
-2 bars
-Dumbbells up to 50lb because women can’t lift more than that

PostPosted: 03/18/21 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The NCAA offered up a water-thin weak explanation for the EXTREME disparity in weight training facilities for both men's and women's bubble sites as that the women's site did not have enough space available for full facilities for all teams, and that once later in the tournament as teams are eliminated, more room will become available for more facility access.

What is wrong with this, is of course - WHY does the women's tournament bubble site not have enough space? BOTH tournaments involve the same number of teams participating - and the women's teams are allowed by the NCAA to have up to 15 scholarship players, as opposed to the men only being allowed to have up to 13.

So the NCAA's response only creates more questions, and doesn't really answer much....

pilight

PostPosted: 03/18/21 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 03/18/21 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not enough space Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

https://twitter.com/kendriclindsey/status/1372677986856665089

The saddest part is that any number of people, including Lynn Holzman, must have looked at the plan beforehand and decided it was good enough.

PostPosted: 03/18/21 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A shame. The inability to lift heavy barbells for the next two weeks will deplete everyone's basketball skills. Bob Cousy, Bill Russell, the Big O, Jerry West, Rick Barry, Pistol Pete, Dr. J and Wilt Chamberlain used to complain about that all the time.
pilight

PostPosted: 03/18/21 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
A shame. The inability to lift heavy barbells for the next two weeks will deplete everyone's basketball skills. Bob Cousy, Bill Russell, the Big O, Jerry West, Rick Barry, Pistol Pete, Dr. J and Wilt Chamberlain used to complain about that all the time.

Luckily nothing has changed in the 50 years or more since those guys played college ball,

Dr J did mention something about lifting weights late in his pro career, however...

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-xpm-1985-12-06-0340650285-story.html

Dr J wrote:
It added a new dimension to my game

Wilt Chamberlain famously worked out with Arnold Schwarzenegger long before most people knew who he was. He bench pressed 500 pounds.

Last edited by pilight on 03/18/21 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/18/21 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Luckily nothing has changed in the 50 years or more since those guys played college ball

At least one thing sure hasn't.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/18/21 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Not enough space Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

https://twitter.com/kendriclindsey/status/1372677986856665089

The saddest part is that any number of people, including Lynn Holzman, must have looked at the plan beforehand and decided it was good enough.

To me the ridiculous statement they put out was worse than the big discrepancy in the first place. Not enough space is a bs response...

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/18/21 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First, I'm NOT excusing the NCAA for this. Ultimately, it's on them.

Second, the women aren't usually at a neutral sight until later. The women probably use what's on campus in the early rounds.. I seriously wonder if it was just forgotten about?

Third, don't forget that Indy is PROFESSIONAL level at this stuff. Anything the NCAA didn't know they would need, Indy did.

NFL Combine? Yep.
Olympic trials of just about every kind (winter sports excluded)? Yep.
Biggest thing in auto racing? Yep.
One of the premier mini-marathons in the nation? Yep.
Fantastic Super Bowl experience? Yep (ok, only once, but the next one will be even better!)

This is what Indy DOES! They have the space and the contacts to get this stuff done. I wonder how much of that equipment is either from the Colts or the combine vs. being brought in from some company?

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/19/21 1:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

This response misses the point.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/19/21 8:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not just the weight rooms: disparities at the NCAA women’s basketball tournament

https://onherturf.nbcsports.com/2021/03/18/ncaa-womens-mens-basketball-weight-rooms-discrepancies/

Quote:
Now, I have a hard time arguing for increasing fan capacity in the middle of a pandemic, especially for a tournament involving unpaid athletes, but that doesn’t mean I’m not perplexed by the fact that the men’s tournament in Indiana will allow fans at 25 percent capacity while the women’s tournament in Texas will be capped at 17 percent.

PostPosted: 03/19/21 8:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
This is what Indy DOES! They have the space and the contacts to get this stuff done. I wonder how much of that equipment is either from the Colts or the combine vs. being brought in from some company?

When I just saw that picture, I thought "that stuff is from the NFL combine."

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/19/21 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Quote:
Now, I have a hard time arguing for increasing fan capacity in the middle of a pandemic, especially for a tournament involving unpaid athletes, but that doesn’t mean I’m not perplexed by the fact that the men’s tournament in Indiana will allow fans at 25 percent capacity while the women’s tournament in Texas will be capped at 17 percent.

I'm trying to figure out why the NCAA, an organization that needs as much revenue as possible, would be capping an attendance by choice. Indiana has regulations in place determining what capacity can be and counties have additional regulations as well. Last night, Assembly Hall in Bloomington was maxing out at 300 people (family and staff only) while Mackey Arena in West Lafayette maxed out at a couple thousand (the entire lower bowl was clear except for teams and school staff). I don't know what Texas currently has in place for indoor sporting events, but my initial take is that they are more in control of that the NCAA.

I know I saw some stat about how much pizza that Pizza Hut had delivered to the teams and how many wings B-Dubs had sent over to the teams as well as something about Wendy's and their burgers/chicken sandwiches. Hopefully the women also got a bunch down there in San Antonio as well or we may be hearing about that soon also.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/19/21 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Among many differences between swag bags

Quote:
(And even I have to laugh at the fact that the men were given a 500-piece puzzle, while the women’s puzzle includes just 150 pieces.)

Alex Azzi in https://onherturf.nbcsports.com/2021/03/18/ncaa-womens-mens-basketball-weight-rooms-discrepancies/ [same article Pilight quotes above, just further down]

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/19/21 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/mar/19/ncaa-tournament-weight-room

They "vow to improve"? Yeah, right. Yeah, no. Meanwhile, on the men's side, some players apparently have t-shirts reading "Not the property of the NCAA". I wonder if any of the women will show up in these.

PostPosted: 03/19/21 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The NCAA has known for some time that 64 teams were going to be in a bubble in San Antonio, and knew that they would have to provide workout facilities. They just thought they could get by with a few yoga mats and a few dumbbells until they sent 3/4 of the teams home, and then they’d bring in a little more equipment for the serious teams. This wasn’t a mistake, it was a choice, a choice to treat the women’s tournament as an afterthought to the men’s tournament. I guess we’re just supposed to be grateful that we have a women’s tournament at all.

That they thought this would not blow up in their face in this world of ubiquitous cameras and social media is truly astounding.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/19/21 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From Georgia coach Joni Taylor

PostPosted: 03/19/21 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joni is a class act. Cool

Yeah, I get the *inequity*. It's NOT fair. Might it have been totally different if the MEN were in San Antonio, and the women were in Indy? I dunno.

But I also REALLY believe (hope?) that whichever gals don't get the weight room time they may have desired are NOT really gonna mess up their games, nor will it affect the outcomes of any games. THAT'S what matters the most.

I did just watch espn's video, featuring Sedona Prince pointing out the "space" excuse discrepancy, i.e., space wasn't really lacking. Hmmm.... Shocked

Last edited by Howee on 03/19/21 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/19/21 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would think that teams would all agree that if something needed to be trimmed due to space, a weight room would be the first to go over practice courts, meeting space, team meal space, social distancing space, etc.

Lifting weights isn't part of the "NCAA Tournament experience" so I'm not sure what point Coach Taylor is trying to make there. I highly doubt any of the teams that lose prior to the Sweet 16 are going to be upset or feel they were slighted because they didn't have a huge weight lifting area. Again, there isn't really a ton of lifting that is going to go on right now leading into the first & second round games. Now, with a few days between the end of the second round and the beginning of the Sweet 16, that is a time where a team would get a good lift in, just like what we would do upon return to campus before departing for the Sweet 16.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/19/21 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What about the players who obviously spend a lot of time lifting...like Charli Collier. It could really mess up her routine. OTOH maybe Texas brought what she needed. After all, they're not all that far from home.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/19/21 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/achristovichh/status/1372969421749293070

Quote:
On call with reporters, UConn women's basketball coach Geno Auriemma confirms that inside their respective bubbles, men's teams are using daily PCR tests and women's teams are using daily antigen tests.

No points for guessing which is more expensive and more accurate...

PostPosted: 03/19/21 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:
On call with reporters, UConn women's basketball coach Geno Auriemma confirms that inside their respective bubbles, men's teams are using daily PCR tests and women's teams are using daily antigen tests.

Yeah not hard to guess about that one. But who really cares if the Women's tests are accurate or not Rolling Eyes

At least the NCAA is getting called out on a lot of this stuff this year though...

Howee

PostPosted: 03/19/21 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
At least the NCAA is getting called out on a lot of this stuff this year though...

Indeed!. At least they're acknowledging their deficiencies.

PostPosted: 03/19/21 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:

Don't have to guess. There is recent CDC research on university students, where the much less expensive and much faster turnaround antigen tests are being used for serial testing of the students:

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm695152a3.htm

In asymptomatic students, the antigen tests predicted negative results with 98.8% accuracy compared to PCR tests, but positive results were only 33.3%. Therefore, the recommended procedure for serial antigen testing is to follow-up a positive antigen test with a confirmatory PCR test to rule out false positives.

This seems eminently reasonable if that's what the NCAA is doing in the women's tournament.
Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 03/19/21 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
I would think that teams would all agree that if something needed to be trimmed due to space, a weight room would be the first to go over practice courts, meeting space, team meal space, social distancing space, etc.

Lifting weights isn't part of the "NCAA Tournament experience" so I'm not sure what point Coach Taylor is trying to make there. I highly doubt any of the teams that lose prior to the Sweet 16 are going to be upset or feel they were slighted because they didn't have a huge weight lifting area. Again, there isn't really a ton of lifting that is going to go on right now leading into the first & second round games. Now, with a few days between the end of the second round and the beginning of the Sweet 16, that is a time where a team would get a good lift in, just like what we would do upon return to campus before departing for the Sweet 16.

In a typical year, the teams are not brought to one site 6 days before they play. They get there 2 days before. So yes, they are missing out on some major lift time. I just hope we don’t see ACL‘s and other devastating injuries that often occur when players don’t get the strength and weight bearing exercise that they need to maintain their fitness prior to a game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: