RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2021 NCAA Tournament Bracket
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/15/21 7:22 pm    ::: 2021 NCAA Tournament Bracket Reply Reply with quote

https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/basketball-women/d1/2021

Thoughts? Surprises? Disagreements? Annoyances? Things to watch?

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/15/21 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have thoughts. Most of them are not printable. In many cases they are not charitable towards teams and players who don't deserve it, but are instead pawns in the Narrative.

There are more teams/storylines that I am rooting against in this bracket because of sheer petty spite and/or "WILL ESPN SHUT UP ABOUT THEM/HER ALREADY" than I am rooting for because I like them and believe in them.

(now with spelling variations)
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/15/21 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Someone explain to me how Marquette with a NET of 34 was one of the last 4 teams in??? I guess I should have been more anxious about them making it in to the tournament all over the last week than I was.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/15/21 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Printable bracket here:
https://www.si.com/college/2021/03/11/womens-ncaa-tournament-printable-bracket

I can't wrap my mind around this without a visual.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/15/21 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

what.

I.

what.

Marquette. One of the last four in. Marquette. Second in the Big East. One of the last four in. Marquette. Sneaked in.

Wasn't the whole point of bringing UConn in to get some respect for this conference?

what even. I.

Queenie.exe has encountered an error and has to close

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/15/21 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I have thoughts. Most of them are not printable. In many cases they are not charitable towards teams and players who don't deserve it, but are instead pawns in the Narrative.

There are more teams/storylines that I am rooting against in this bracket because of sheer petty spite and/or "WILL ESPN SHUT UP ABOUT THEM/HER ALREADY" than I am rooting for because I like them and believe in them.

Queenie please spill some tea! We want to hear

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/15/21 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
what.

I.

what.

Marquette. One of the last four in. Marquette. Second in the Big East. One of the last four in. Marquette. Sneaked in.

Wasn't the whole point of bringing UConn in to get some respect for this conference?

what even. I.

And this is why Duffy is as good as gone when a decent program comes calling which probably won't be long Sad.

I just don't see how with their resume and a NET of 34 they'd be one of the last 4 in. I have no problem with them getting a 10 seed but do have a problem hearing they were considered one of the last 4 in...

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 03/15/21 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to Wazzu, first tournament berth in 30 years!

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/15/21 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bcdawg04 wrote:

Yes! But I was surprised at them as a 9-seed?

Although, in a way, getting a 10 or 11 seed is a better draw than a 9 seed because if you can get through that first round game, you conceivably stand a better chance against the 2 or 3 seed than you do against the 1 seed in the second round.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/15/21 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:

I just don't see how with their resume and a NET of 34 they'd be one of the last 4 in. I have no problem with them getting a 10 seed but do have a problem hearing they were considered one of the last 4 in...

agree that is stupid to think they were a last 4 in. But I would say being a 10 seed is generally preferable to an 8/9.

On another topic: At least Miss.St, Notre Dame, and Depaul didn't make it in based on name appeal.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/15/21 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
Queenie wrote:
what.

I.

what.

what even. I.

And this is why Duffy is as good as gone when a decent program comes calling which probably won't be long Sad.

I see this unjustified undervaluing of Marquette as a side-effect of Depaul underperforming this year. All year in the rankings/mediea/etc it was assumed that Depaul was the #2 team in the Big East. When Depaul started their slide in the second half of the season, instead of Marquette getting more attention, the conference was just written off to a degree.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/15/21 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
bcdawg04 wrote:

Yes! But I was surprised at them as a 9-seed?

Although, in a way, getting a 10 or 11 seed is a better draw than a 9 seed because if you can get through that first round game, you conceivably stand a better chance against the 2 or 3 seed than you do against the 1 seed in the second round.

yep, you beat me to it. Exactly my thought too.
OTOH: this year just about anybody can beat anybody. THey all just need to play their A game.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/15/21 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mercado region is the one that to me looks like it could go haywire. I don't have a particularly good reason, but I don't really trust NCST or A&M.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/15/21 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Queenie please spill some tea! We want to hear

I'm a Big East fan. More relevant to the current events, I'm a Seton Hall fan. The Big East got absolutely screwed in this bracket. You only take two? You *barely* take two? You throw them in the same quadrant of the bracket? I know I said I'd rather see two than three if the third were DePaul but I didn't actually think they'd do it and I certainly didn't think Marquette would be one of the last four in and I'm still irate that DePaul got given more consideration than Seton Hall.

I'm a Michigan fan. So of course Michigan gets thrown to one of the best mid-majors in the field, a school that plays a system practically tailor-made to wreck Michigan's defense. And their reward for managing to avoid the upset is to play Tennessee, which means Naz Hillmon could put up a quadruple-double and incidentally find a lasting solution for the Middle East conflict, and the commentators might notice eventually. Of course, since they're in the same corner of the bracket as UConn, that's not a guarantee.

I have mild interests in Florida State, but I don't know if they should have been in please don't tell Coach McCorvey

I'm tired of ESPN narratives. So of course the bracket is set up for a Bueckers versus Clark clash. I have no beef with Iowa, no animus against Clark specifically or anything Iowa-related at all except the state government, but Iowa losing is the more likely path to shutting ESPN the goddamn hell up for two seconds. I mean, maybe eventually the commentators will figure out they both have teammates.

I'm furious that the Valley got two bids, and I know there's no good way around it, because Missouri State did what they needed to do most of the season. Hook 'em Horns, I guess. Nothing personal, Bradley.

I respect South Dakota State, and I love what that program has done historically, but if you're the committee and you're talking a big game about what teams do in the conference tournament being soooooooo important, they lost in the quarters, and they're playing without their best player. They used to take that into consideration when seeding the bracket- y'all remember how that 2004 Minnesota run happened, right? I wouldn't have put them in.

Somehow the committee respects the American more than the Big East even though we have the 800-pound Husky in the room now, and I don't know if I can call that horseshit on this board, but we're about to find out.

I have no idea why Oklahoma and Notre Dame were in consideration. Just. No idea. Someone please explain because I am tired.

There are entirely too many G-curve games in the 1/16 and 2/15 lines, and there's no excuse for that when everyone's at the same site. You could have put someone other than the SWAC champion against Baylor for once, I'm just saying.

What is the point of saying you're using the NET and waving your new shiny toy around if you're not actually using it?

There are probably other things that I'm going to come back to screaming AND ONE MORE THING like Columbo with anger management issues, but those are the biggest issues I have with this bracket. Most of them are not rational. But you asked.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/15/21 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All right, I looked at the bracket and have a few thoughts...

A probable Iowa vs UConn game in the S16. Clark vs Bueckers. Coincidental bracketing or a storyline setup?

Why Tenn vs MTSU and NC State vs NC A&T in the first round? If these games were for storylines, they are regrettable at best. There's not even any gate money rolling in this year. ETA: And Md vs Mt. St. Mary's.

And for the love of God, after hearing the SEC announcers and ESPN analysts rave on and on and on about how much Ole Miss and Coach Flo deserved to be in the big dance this year, WTH are they? SEC fans sat through hours of that BS during the SECT for nothing?

Last edited by FrozenLVFan on 03/15/21 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/15/21 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

agree that is stupid to think they were a last 4 in. But I would say being a 10 seed is generally preferable to an 8/9.

On another topic: At least Miss.St, Notre Dame, and Depaul didn't make it in based on name appeal.

Yeah I like the 10 better than the 8/9. But I don't think they have any better shot beating Baylor than they would have had beating a 1 seed assuming they can beat Va Tech. But at least they're dancing as I apparently had more reason to worry about them making it than I thought I did Sad.

Yeah with Creme's prediction I thought DePaul would get in on reputation alone. Then again I'm not happy with DePaul - their last season collapse hurt Marquette I think.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/15/21 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some random thoughts:

South Carolina v Maryland. This is the match-up I want to see more than any other. Both teams have such skilled, athletic guards, and both teams love to run the floor. Maryland's has the 3-point shooting edge but South Carolina has the edge in the post. This could be an exciting game. I actually don't see South Carolina being able to slow down Maryland enough to keep up.

Baylor v Uconn. I want to see how Uconn fairs against a truly defensive-minded team.

Iowa v Central Michigan. Some great scorers in this game. Iowa's assistant coach Raina Harmon used to coach at CMU just a few years ago.

It seems like the committee factored in geography more than they necessarily needed to? Matching up NC State with NCA&T; Tennessee with Middle Tennessee; South Carolina with Mercer.

I would love to see the battle of the posts in a second round Michigan vs. Tennessee match-up.

Syracuse and SDSU will both sadly be playing without their star players in Mangakahia and Selland.

Big-12: Somewhat surprised that Texas got a higher seed than Iowa State and OKSU.

(edit: as I typed this, I see that in the mean time people prior to me posted similar thoughts! no plagiarism intended ... I was just slow lol)

Last edited by undersized_post on 03/15/21 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Queenie

PostPosted: 03/15/21 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
Yeah with Creme's prediction I thought DePaul would get in on reputation alone. Then again I'm not happy with DePaul - their last season collapse hurt Marquette I think.

DePaul and Creighton screwed the whole conference, and they're both still playing. (WNIT.) Seton Hall noped out of the WNIT, from the looks of it. I don't blame them. I can still irrationally feel like DePaul and Creighton got rewarded for screwing the conference.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/15/21 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Some random thoughts:

South Carolina v Maryland. This is the match-up I want to see more than any other. Both teams have such skilled, athletic guards, and both teams love to run the floor. Maryland's has the 3-point shooting edge but South Carolina has the edge in the post. This could be an exciting game. I actually don't see South Carolina being able to slow down Maryland enough to keep up.

Baylor v Uconn. I want to see how Uconn fairs against a truly defensive-minded team.

Iowa v Central Michigan. Some great scorers in this game. Iowa's assistant coach Raina Harmon used to coach at CMU just a few years ago.

It seems like the committee factored in geography more than they necessarily needed to? Matching up NC State with NCA&T; Tennessee with Middle Tennessee; South Carolina with Mercer.

I would love to see the battle of the posts in a second round Michigan vs. Tennessee match-up.

Syracuse and SDSU will both sadly be playing without their star players in Mangakahia and Selland.

Big-12: Somewhat surprised that Texas got a higher seed than Iowa State and OKSU.

Add Mount St. Mary's (Emmitsburg, Maryland) and Maryland to your "why did y'all G-curve this?" list.

Do you have a link on Mangakahia not being available for the Big Dance?

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/15/21 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

DePaul and Creighton screwed the whole conference, and they're both still playing. (WNIT.) Seton Hall noped out of the WNIT, from the looks of it. I don't blame them. I can still irrationally feel like DePaul and Creighton got rewarded for screwing the conference.

I take it they dropped the .500 rule this year then? I wasn't expecting Creighton to be in any postseason tournament with their record. Seton Hall would have gotten first dibs to the WNIT from the Big East as you know but yeah I can't blame any team for turning that down this year.

I still can't figure out how DePaul lost to Creighton and Butler at home in the last week of the season with so much on the line. The Butler loss is incredibly hard to understand - they were a really, really bad team this season.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 03/15/21 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A tiny gripe from this Bruin fan:

Love to be a 3-seed faced with a potential "neutral site" second-round game against 6-seeded Texas in, erm, Texas.

Just so great.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/15/21 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This whole thing looks like a toss up.
We all have our favorite conference and think our conference is the best! Or close to the best!
But there were so few OOC games that it's really hard to tell which conference is actually the best. I think that is largely why it seems so much up in the air. And this makes it really fun.

As a P12 fan, I was sorry to see both OrSU and WSU on the 8/9 line. To me that's the worst place to be in any bracket. I of course hope one of them upsets the #1 in their bracket. It's highly unlikely...but not impossible! And of course I'm hoping our #3 seeds beat their #2's.

Go Pac! Might as well have 4 teams at the Elite 8! Laughing Wink

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/15/21 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
This whole thing looks like a toss up.
We all have our favorite conference and think our conference is the best! Or close to the best!
But there were so few OOC games that it's really hard to tell which conference is actually the best. I think that is largely why it seems so much up in the air. And this makes it really fun.

Oh I don't think the Big East is all that great but I seem to have a higher opinion of it than the Selection Committee Smile.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/15/21 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

Do you have a link on Mangakahia not being available for the Big Dance?

Oh I thought she was out for the season?? I could very well be wrong and apologize for the confusion if so.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/15/21 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
A tiny gripe from this Bruin fan:

Love to be a 3-seed faced with a potential "neutral site" second-round game against 6-seeded Texas in, erm, Texas.

Just so great.

s'ok. you got'em!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: