RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The West Coast Confernce

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 03/07/21 3:40 pm    ::: The West Coast Confernce Reply Reply with quote

I've been watching the WCC tournament, and it's an interesting league.

USF -- the real USF -- is almost all Eastern European. Another program relies heavily on players from Australia and New Zealand, and many teams get lots of production from the South Pacific.

Several teams are pretty much all White, and there is not a lot of size.

Maybe other mid-major conferences have similar profiles, but the propotion of international players seems very high.

And despite many of the teams being in California, there aren't that many California players.

PostPosted: 03/07/21 7:25 pm    ::: Re: The West Coast Confernce Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I've been watching the WCC tournament, and it's an interesting league.

USF -- the real USF -- is almost all Eastern European. Another program relies heavily on players from Australia and New Zealand, and many teams get lots of production from the South Pacific.

Several teams are pretty much all White, and there is not a lot of size.

Maybe other mid-major conferences have similar profiles, but the propotion of international players seems very high.

And despite many of the teams being in California, there aren't that many California players.

What happened to Saint Marys? They were always a top 3 team in that conference and are now 7-19. Injuries? They always had good Aussies on the team.

Durantula

PostPosted: 03/07/21 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The PAC also has more international players than the other top conferences. So where are the west coast recruits going if more international players are taking up spots in WCC and PAC 12?

IM in OC

PostPosted: 03/07/21 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
The PAC also has more international players than the other top conferences. So where are the west coast recruits going if more international players are taking up spots in WCC and PAC 12?

There may not be as many top recruits on the west coast as the old days.

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/08/21 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

St. Mary's: One very good player was stuck in Australia. Two other good ones were hurt who played only briefly but did play in the tournament.

In general, mid-majors are less able to cope with injuries and such because they lack the depth of a lot of P5 teams.

PostPosted: 03/08/21 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It kind of depends on the conference as to where you get your recruits from. In the CAA, for instance, another mid-major conference, the only school that usually has a lot of non-US players is Hofstra, and they often have a bunch. (Hasn't helped them in recent years, though) Drexel and Northeastern may have a couple; Drexel's players seem to come mainly from PA, NY, and MD and Northeastern's from the New England area. Towson and UNCW recruit very locally. IIRC, Elon may have had one somewhere along the line, but their recruits seem to come mostly from the Carolinas, VA, MD, etc. JMU currently has two, one from Canada (she's now in the transfer portal) and one from Senegal who was a grad transfer this year; normally they recruit from VA, MD, PA and maybe NC but have had players from as far as VT and FL.

PostPosted: 03/08/21 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A very general question that I've always wondered about: What entices international students to come play basketball for a mid-major USA college?

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/08/21 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
A very general question that I've always wondered about: What entices international students to come play basketball for a mid-major USA college?

yeah, I've wondered that as well. Is it 'the grass is greener' or is it the education or is it the life experience of living in a foreign country or is it that they believe they can improve their basketball skills enough to play pro in their own country....or could be something totally other than that.

Trying to remember myself at 18 - going to a foreign country for four years would have been a tough sell - but then I was pretty 'young' at 18...and I did in fact go overseas for several years in my 20's so maybe they're just more mature than I was at that age.

Durantula

PostPosted: 03/08/21 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:

I don't think any other country has a set up where you can play good level of basketball AND get college fully paid for.

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/08/21 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think there's still some glamor to living in the U.S., especially perhaps for an Eastern European. "Come live in San Francisco," coos Molly Goodenbour. "One of the great cities in the world, enjoy California, and please check the weather in Slovakia in January and then in California.

PostPosted: 03/09/21 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

yeah, I've wondered that as well. Is it 'the grass is greener' or is it the education or is it the life experience of living in a foreign country or is it that they believe they can improve their basketball skills enough to play pro in their own country....or could be something totally other than that.

I'd easily say, "All of the above". As mentioned above, our college system -- even a mid-major setting -- is probably more generous than most of these kids can find at home.

myrtle wrote:
Trying to remember myself at 18....

Wasn't that during the FIRST pandemic, Myrtle....you probably couldn't travel anywhere then, eh? Razz

PostPosted: 03/09/21 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The ones I know pretty much all pointed to being able to get a free education while competing at a high level of a sport they loved. They were all extremely thankful for the opportunity to get so much at no cost to them except for travel to and from their home country.

tfan

PostPosted: 03/09/21 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I caught two tournament games one day (NBC Sports Bay Area??). I think it was St Mary's versus USF where they said that the tallest player among the teams (or players getting time on the court) had a roster height of 6'2". It was fun to watch a game where so many of the players were close in height. Made me think that a 6'0" and under league would be a good idea.

Santa Clara was wearing shorts that were tighter than the modern style and 3 or 4 inches shorter. And they had short sleeve shirts on which made their arms look shorter. At least it seemed like none of them were "lanky" or "long".

USF is a private school so it is harder to condemn, but I was thinking that publicly funded state schools shouldn't give scholarships to foreigners. But then again, I think they are state taxpayer funded, which really means they shouldn't give scholarships to anyone out of state. I took a few classes at a junior college in my area about 13 years go and looked at info on their WBB team and there were what appeared to be foreign students on that team. I know that some of the DI teams will have foreign players that initially played in a junior college. But that would be crazy if they got a full ride for those JC years.

But you see USF doing well versus the past and think that Molly Goodenbauer has "turned things around" and then when you find out only two players are Americans, it loses something for me.

Last edited by tfan on 03/09/21 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 03/09/21 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Umm... wow. So much in that last post.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: