RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

P12 Tournament
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 02/26/21 9:42 pm    ::: P12 Tournament Reply Reply with quote

Starts on Wednesday.
Seeds are being determined by win-loss % so with all the unequal games played, it could have some slightly bizarro seeding ramifications.
Top four have a first day bye and they are pretty much set.
Quarterfinals on Thursday
Semis on Friday
Finals on Sunday

Currently seeds are:
1. Stanford 19-2
2. Arizona 13-3
3. UCLA 12-4
4. Oregon 10-6

5. OrSU 7-6
6. Colorado 8-8
7. Wazzu 9-10
8. USC 8-10

9. ASU 6-9
10. Utah 4-15
11. Washington 3-13
12. Cal 1-12

bracket is here: https://pac-12.com/2021-pac-12-womens-basketball-tournament

So first day:
OrSU plays Cal
Colorado plays Washington
Wazzu plays Utah if Utah can play otherwise a bye?
USC plays ASU

Last edited by myrtle on 02/28/21 8:11 pm; edited 5 times in total
calbearman76

PostPosted: 02/26/21 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I prefer your wording "Stanford 18-2 will be 19-2 IF they beat California on Sunday" to "Cal 1-12 AFTER they lose to Stanford"

Oregon St gets 5th with a win. Washington St gets 5th with a win and losses by Colorado and Oregon St.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/27/21 1:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
I prefer your wording "Stanford 18-2 will be 19-2 IF they beat California on Sunday" to "Cal 1-12 AFTER they lose to Stanford"

Same. Although there's a little blip in consistency. "Wazzu 8-10 will be 9-10 if they beat Wash Sunday" seems to imply the Cougs may not win, whereas "Washington 3-13 after they lose to Wazzu" says right there that they will. Well, which is it, myrtle – hmm? Wink Laughing

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/27/21 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

Same. Although there's a little blip in consistency. "Wazzu 8-10 will be 9-10 if they beat Wash Sunday" seems to imply the Cougs may not win, whereas "Washington 3-13 after they lose to Wazzu" says right there that they will. Well, which is it, myrtle – hmm? :wink: :lol:

This grammar policing is irrelevant, Myrtle. According to the bracket you linked, TBD wins every game and the tournament. Bet the farm on them.
patsweetpat

PostPosted: 02/27/21 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
According to the bracket you linked, TBD wins every game and the tournament. Bet the farm on them.

I smiled.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 02/27/21 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was about this time last year when I was boarding the MegaBus in L.A. to go to Vegas and attend the 2020 Women's Pac-12 tournament.

Came back sick as eff.*

And then the rest of 2020 happened!

https://twitter.com/patsweetpat/status/1235803653379772416

*note: at the time I was pretty sure it was COVID, but I've since taken the antigen test, which says it wasn't COVID, so I dunno, maybe it wasn't?

Howee

PostPosted: 02/27/21 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
*note: at the time I was pretty sure it was COVID, but I've since taken the antigen test, which says it wasn't COVID, so I dunno, maybe it wasn't?

What's the reliability factor on the antigen tests, I wonder? Are you going this year?

PostPosted: 02/27/21 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:

What's the reliability factor on the antigen tests, I wonder? Are you going this year?

I've heard the antigen tests are actually *NOT* super-reliable, but what do I know? I'm a sitcom hack, I'm definitely not a scientist.

And no, not going this year, 'cause the only spectators allowed in the P12 tournament this year are friends and family. But already looking forward to 2022!

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/27/21 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
According to the bracket you linked, TBD wins every game and the tournament. Bet the farm on them.

I smiled.

well TBD is close to TVD so I'll take it. Wink Laughing

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 02/27/21 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:

Same. Although there's a little blip in consistency. "Wazzu 8-10 will be 9-10 if they beat Wash Sunday" seems to imply the Cougs may not win, whereas "Washington 3-13 after they lose to Wazzu" says right there that they will. Well, which is it, myrtle – hmm? Wink Laughing

well I thought Cal and Washington were highly probable to lose, whereas Colorado Utah and Ore OrSU, where I was more consistent, are more of a tossup ...but as we know, anything can happen on the court so I didn't want to totally jinx my trees.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/28/21 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So ASU draws first blood and beats Arizona in OT.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/28/21 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Utah at the last minute had to cancel their game today vs. Colorado cuz of covid-related issues within the Utes’ program. It is undetermined whether or not Utah will be able to compete in the Pac-12 Tournament. (Link here)

calbearman76

PostPosted: 02/28/21 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Utah at the last minute had to cancel their game today vs. Colorado cuz of covid-related issues within the Utes’ program. It is undetermined whether or not Utah will be able to compete in the Pac-12 Tournament. (Link here)

Not that I would ever root for a Covid outbreak, but that would move Cal to an 11 seed and we could avoid Stanford until the finals. We just seem to have a problem with them. Very Happy Very Happy

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/28/21 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Not that I would ever root for a Covid outbreak, but that would move Cal to an 11 seed and we could avoid Stanford until the finals. We just seem to have a problem with them. Very Happy Very Happy

Laughing I mean, at this point, Utah probably should just voluntarily drop out. They’re only 5-15. Nothing to be gained by competing at the Tourney, especially this year; Everything to lose if they’re cleared to play & somehow someone’s still infectious. That all the teams from all the conferences for all the Tourneys (who haven’t already opted out of the season) appear to be planning to play is ridiculous and unnecessarily risky – especially since the Big Dance as well as the NITs appear to be happening like normal as well.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 02/28/21 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With OSU's win today vs. Oregon, the Beavers move up to the 5-seed, and potentially project to a quarterfinals rematch against the Ducks in Vegas.

As a UCLA fan, I'm very happy to have the Beavs elevate themselves out of that 6-seed, because that'd have forced my 3-seed Bruins to have to tangle with them in the quarters, and I'd prefer to have none of that squad until it's absolutely necessary, thank you very much.

Note: all of the above assumes that a potential Utah scratch from the tournament doesn't somehow goof up the seedings in some unforseen way (they're currently sitting in the 10 slot).

Last edited by patsweetpat on 02/28/21 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 02/28/21 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

You all have a problem with every team this year! I just assumed that Wazzu would get a bye first day and everybody would keep their existing seeds.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 02/28/21 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I just assumed that Wazzu would get a bye first day and everybody would keep their existing seeds.

I suppose that might be a *bit* of a bummer for the 3-seed (UofA), who then has to face a fully-rested opponent in the quarters, while all of the other top seeds (1, 2 & 4) would get quarterfinal games against opponents who'd just played 24 hours earlier.

But on the other hand, it *is* COVID times, and people gotta roll with stuff.

So I dunno.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/28/21 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
myrtle wrote:
I just assumed that Wazzu would get a bye first day and everybody would keep their existing seeds.

I suppose that might be a *bit* of a bummer for the 3-seed (UofA), who then has to face a fully-rested opponent in the quarters, while all of the other top seeds (1, 2 & 4) would get quarterfinal games against opponents who'd just played 24 hours earlier.

So I dunno.

But it would be the same issue for whichever top four team which gets a 'fresh' team rather than one that had to play a game the day before.

Howee

PostPosted: 02/28/21 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
But it would be the same issue for whichever top four team which gets a 'fresh' team rather than one that had to play a game the day before.

Oh, fresh shmesh. Razz I'm predicting an Oregon-Wazzou final. Shocked Laughing

Vive la Madness of March! Cool

PostPosted: 02/28/21 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
myrtle wrote:

So I dunno.

Yeah, true. You're right.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/28/21 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

According to the Oregon news:
It's doubtful if Paopao can play in the P12 tourney
And they claim that OrSU would get the first round bye if Utah is out, so it would be Ore-OrSU again on Thursday. Don't know if this is true, but it would seem to be the 'right' thing that the four seed would get the fresh team.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/28/21 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
myrtle wrote:

How much you willing to put down on that prediction? Very Happy

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 02/28/21 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
And they claim that OrSU would get the first round bye if Utah is out, so it would be Ore-OrSU again on Thursday. Don't know if this is true, but it would seem to be the 'right' thing that the four seed would get the fresh team.

Yes, I agree, that seems like the best option.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/01/21 12:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Howee wrote:
myrtle wrote:

How much you willing to put down on that prediction? Very Happy

myrtle wrote:
According to the Oregon news: It's doubtful if Paopao can play in the P12 tourney

Youch. Hadn't heard THAT prognosis. Evil or Very Mad That could throw a wrench into my prediction. Razz

PostPosted: 03/01/21 1:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Yes, I agree, that seems like the best option.

The Pac 12 has stated that if a team cancels before 11am Tuesday the bracket will be redone. After then the bracket will stay as is and games would be forfeited.

Myrtle
Quote:
You all have a problem with every team this year!

However true this may be, the next two days the dream is still alive. GO BEARS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: