RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

So yep I predicted all this...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 02/09/21 3:04 pm    ::: So yep I predicted all this... Reply Reply with quote

No, I don't believe that anyone can see the future but I do believe that people of a certain disposition who have seen and experienced a lot of things and are of a certain type who does make a lot of offhand predictions can be eerily right sometimes.

And then there's the jammer. Cool

Okay? Because I'm apparently a one-of-a-kind predictin' mother fucker. Don't get me started.

So I don't know if I told this all in another thread early last year. But when I think of this myself or talk about it, it kind of gives me the willies.

So this was in the summer of 2019. The mood was sort of set in me by it being the 50 year mark of the Manson killings here in LA and the premier of Quentin Tarentino's Once Upon a Time in Hollywood which does kind of a really interesting and creative and I think almost somehow healing thing with that terrible moment.

So with that all happening that summer, I was doing a lot of reading around the subject. Joan Didion I think said that the 1960s ended the night of the murders. At least in LA. And she describes it all in a brilliant piece of writing called The White Album.

Anyway. The best way that I could describe Los Angeles in the summer of 2019 was over-ripe. Things that you noticed but tried not to became literal and dangerous obstacles. The city had grown so crowded, traffic had gotten so bad, and the homelessness problem had exploded. Something I also predicted probably as far back as 15-20 years ago. I mean I predicted it to happen just as it has happened which would have been somewhat unimaginable back when it was as comparatively sporadic as it once was. I did a collage of homelessness pictures on my blog in 2019 that was so horrendous I ended up deleting the entire thing.

So I had Joan Didion's 'moment the 60s ended' thing rattling around in my brain anyway. And all the really spooky shit I was reading about the Manson murders. Sort of planning to see the Tarantino film but ended up seeing it much later on pay-per-view.

We'd been to the Hollywood Bowl like July 3rd I think. 4th of July concert. And we're driving home up Hollywood Blvd. We used to cruise Hollywood and Sunset Blvds at night often back in the 90s when we were still in our 30s. And I went through a period where all I did was cruise LA alone at night. We won't get into that.

But we're on Hollywood Blvd and I said to mrs jammer that I felt that something big was going to happen. Now this woman has what I would describe as an absolute faith in my ability to predict the future. And I mean she actually DOES believe that people can predict the future. I don't want to know this about her so I don't think about such things. So she's instantly all in and questioning me on details.

So it went sort of like this. What do you mean, like 9/11? I said no, bigger. She says, like a war? And I said no, bigger than a war. I said something like this: I mean, yeah, if North Korea launched nukes at California, okay. But we're already in a war and the way this country fights wars it doesn't really impact our lives at all. I said that I felt that something was going to happen that changed all of this.

And I motioned with my hand at the general scene of whatever was happening on Hollywood Blvd that night. I said something was going to happen that would change LA and set back the overcrowding, LA being a destination for the affluent of the world, the homelessness problem (we're not there yet but I believe the situation has gotten so bad that it won't be long before some drastically different solutions change the nature of that problem.) I was thinking of Sodom and Gomorrah being turned to salt or however the fuck that story goes.

So I was thinking of how, according to at least Joan Didion, this one murder spree put a stop to the drug-induced innocence of the 1960s anyway, and that's really my only explanation as to why I would have been in a general mood that predisposed me to believe that something was on the horizon that would end what could be thought of as one era here in LA and in America and mark the beginning of another.

So yeah, I was primed anyway. But still, you'd have to be here to have seen it all to get how the specificity of my prediction that something big was coming that would change everything here to the extent COVID-19 has would give me the willies.

Anyway.

PostPosted: 02/10/21 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What is your prediction for when the pandemic ends?

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 02/10/21 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:

I’m sorry, I don’t have a feeling in my bones about that at all. And I should point out again that back when say NY was being crushed I was very very wrong about the LA region being some how somewhat impervious to having a bad outbreak here. So fucking wrong.

PostPosted: 02/10/21 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
tfan wrote:

I’m sorry, I don’t have a feeling in my bones about that at all. And I should point out again that back when say NY was being crushed I was very very wrong about the LA region being some how somewhat impervious to having a bad outbreak here. So fucking wrong.

By the summer 2022, the pandemic here in the US will be mostly done. We'll still have some cases, partly due to the anti-vaxxers and partly due to covidiots who don't bother to get necessary boosters.

I'd guess it will take an additional 2-3 years to get the disease under control in the third world.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/11/21 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Would you have predicted Covid if you had stayed in Pittsburgh?

Pandemic
, epidemic, endemic. These are just words of arbitrary meaning.

A pandemic is an epidemic that spreads internationally. An epidemic is disease outbreak that rises sufficiently above some arbitrary criterion to be given that name. The CDC probably has some sort of statistical definition.

I predict that Covid will settle down to be a long-term, world-wide endemic. This means is will always be around, circulating the world, infecting new non-immune victims, perhaps springing back up to epidemic proportions in certain regions periodically. Much like the flu, which has been endemic forever and epidemic in the USA every few decades or so.

The virus is gonna do what's it's gonna do. No masking, social distancing, hiding, or sporadic vaccine will make the gazillions of little buggers go away. They're in the air. They're in the animals. They're in us. Pandora's box is open. The beast has been unleashed. The bell can't be unrung.

Covid, and many other things, will kill off the vulnerable old, but thankfully the disease is less fatal to the young than the flu. We must just accept the new reality and go on living carefully in our world of many dangers.
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 02/11/21 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Would you have predicted Covid if you had stayed in Pittsburgh?

Never in a million years anyway. But specific to the pandemic-y kind of prediction that something was going to change LA... that would have been impossible because I wouldn't have lived in and seen this particular large major city and how things had evolved and devolved over the last three decades. Probably wouldn't have had the same interest in LA history like the Manson killings and I promise you I still wouldn't have known who Joan Didion was to this very day. But I would have been a really good pool shooter with a lot of flesh and blood friends I'd known all my life instead of basically just online friends and out here mostly what I would call acquaintances.

But just in general in terms of the person I would have been had I not moved here.... wow. What all that moving to and living in Los Angeles has done to develop and create the person I am today is absolutely incalculable. If I could get busy and write the first two books I want to write... I could then get around to writing a step-by-step description of the events, lessons, process, moments, that delivered me unto the places I am now in my head and perspectives... while contrasting these life lessons with my prior states of mind coming from the Pittsburgh area. Sort of like the cultural education of a rube. lol. Oh I could write that. Wink

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: