RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#1 South Carolina @ #2 Connecticut - 2/08/21
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
South Carolina
80%
 80%  [ 12 ]
Connecticut
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 15

Shades

PostPosted: 02/06/21 6:58 pm    ::: #1 South Carolina @ #2 Connecticut - 2/08/21 Reply Reply with quote

Storrs, CT - 7:00 PM ET
TV: FS1 (Lisa Byington, Monica McNutt)

Video stream:
https://www.foxsports.com/live/fs1 (tvpli)

Audio:
https://listen.tunein.com/connecticutwbbschedule

Live stats:
http://www.statbroadcast.com/events/statmonitr.php?gid=conn

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 02/08/21 5:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Iluvacc

PostPosted: 02/07/21 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why is this on FS and not ESPN?

Shades

PostPosted: 02/07/21 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fox owns the rights to Big East.

Tally24

PostPosted: 02/07/21 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I do not even want to think about ONO trying to guard Boston.

Also, how fast will Edwards foul out? 3rd quarter? I have a night class tomorrow and I can’t decide if I want to keep up with the score throughout, or just watch in full after the class.
mercfan3

PostPosted: 02/07/21 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
I do not even want to think about ONO trying to guard Boston.

Also, how fast will Edwards foul out? 3rd quarter? I have a night class tomorrow and I can’t decide if I want to keep up with the score throughout, or just watch in full after the class.

As a Freshman, Dolson fouled out against Griner in 12 minutes..will it be over or under that? Laughing

Honestly though, this will likely determine the game for Uconn.

PostPosted: 02/07/21 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn committed only 11 fouls against S.Car. last year. (S.Car. only committed four.)

ONO fouled out with 1:15 to go in the game, when UConn was down 16 and had lost. In fact, she committed three of her five fouls in the last 6.5 minutes of the fourth quarter, again when the game was effectively lost. Her second foul was with 3:32 left in the third quarter, when UConn was down 21. Her first foul was with 1:26 left in the second quarter. I don't see anything in the play-by-play that indicates any of the fouls were shooting fouls on Boston.

Boston is not some unstoppable scoring machine. She's averaging 13.7 PPG and shooting 49.5%.

So, I'm not sure these fears of both ONO and Edwards fouling out because of Boston are justified.

UConn will have to stop the fast and scoring guards, Henderson and Cooke, and also 6-2 Victaria Saxton, who's shooting 60.5%.

Mostly, UConn will have to score against the Gamecocks' excellent defense, which they couldn't do last year, especially in the pathetic two-point first quarter.

I like UConn's chances if six players can play at least their B+ games. Last year, only three UConn players showed up and the other three were D's or F's.
ucbart

PostPosted: 02/08/21 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My prediction yesterday was 79-68 SC-they just have more experience than us and frankly, our 3 best players since the Arkansas loss, are freshman. I've never seen ONO or Christyn have games against big teams that can make me trust them(that 28 point game at ND her freshman year doesn't count with Crystal, Lou, and Phee as your teammates). If Christyn shoots more than 3-3's, we are screwed. Furthermore, at some point, Paige has to hit a freshman wall. She just isn't going to be this efficient for her entire career and this might be the game. The SC defense is different than the Tennessee length on defense. They're quick, athletic, and will really harass her and attempt to get her out of rhythm.

Keys for UCONN to pull off an upset:

1. Alliyah Edwards and ONO can play a bulk of minutes together, with Olivia at the high post. She is a good passer from there and it brings Boston out of the lane, which allows our guards to get layups on back door cuts and not have to contend with her defending the rim.

2. We hit 3 and FT's One has gotten better(3's)....and the other is trash(FT's)

3. Paige is Paige.

4. On D, which is the most important aspect of this game, we need to limit transition and dribble penetration.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 02/08/21 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just noticed Massey calls it 72-68, CT. I don't see it that way.

My optimistic final score is 78-71, SC.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/08/21 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:

1. Alliyah Edwards and ONO can play a bulk of minutes together, with Olivia at the high post. She is a good passer from there and it brings Boston out of the lane, which allows our guards to get layups on back door cuts and not have to contend with her defending the rim.

This makes sense to me, and is a reason I argued in favor of starting Edwards a few games back after she had started one.

BUT . . .

That's not what Geno did against St. John's. He seemed fascinated with starting Muhl and giving her twice the minutes of Edwards, unless that was just some fakeout lineup against a weak BEC team. Muhl's been doing well recently and getting more minutes than Edwards, but I don't think a four guard lineup plus ONO is the best against SC. Who's going to guard 6-2 Saxton?

It's important to start fast from the jump against SC and stop them from doing so. Who really knows, of course, but Edwards starting with ONO arguably gives UConn the best chance of doing that.

Maybe Geno goes zone the whole game and dares SC to win from the outside. That's not a bad strategy, since SC doesn't take or make many 3's.
mercfan3

PostPosted: 02/08/21 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
ucbart wrote:

This makes sense to me, and is a reason I argued in favor of starting Edwards a few games back after she had started one.

BUT . . .

That's not what Geno did against St. John's. He seemed fascinated with starting Muhl and giving her twice the minutes of Edwards, unless that was just some fakeout lineup against a weak BEC team. Muhl's been doing well recently and getting more minutes than Edwards, but I don't think a four guard lineup plus ONO is the best against SC. Who's going to guard 6-2 Saxton?

It's important to start fast from the jump against SC and stop them from doing so. Who really knows, of course, but Edwards starting with ONO arguably gives UConn the best chance of doing that.

Maybe Geno goes zone the whole game and dares SC to win from the outside. That's not a bad strategy, since SC doesn't take or make many 3's.

I think he starts Muhl because it takes some playmaking pressure off of Paige - while also putting some scoring pressure on her.

PostPosted: 02/08/21 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fwiw, this is now a #1 (SoCar) vs #2 (UConn) matchup, per the new AP Poll.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 02/08/21 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Win or lose, it'll be a great experience for the UConn freshmen and others, especially should they play again in March.

Can't wait! Very Happy

singinerd54

PostPosted: 02/08/21 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My biggest fears, in rank order:

1) Geno makes no (or very minimal) in-game adjustments. Could be defensive tactics (see Arkansas game), using the bench, managing fouls, usage of timeouts, etc.

2) Everyone not named Paige is a deer-in-the-headlights and too afraid of making mistakes to be aggressive (see Tennessee game).

3) Paige shoots very poorly (see Tennessee game) and/or presses in another way that harms the team, quite possibly at Geno's insistence.

4) Aaliyah can't play or is limited due to the hit to the mouth last game. Also, I hope Aubrey can play. I think we need her tenacity. (If she can't, I suspect Mir will be an important change of pace.)

5) Foul trouble for ONO (those arms swinging wildly on blocks...) or Aaliyah.

I more or less expect some combination/extent of these to happen. South Carolina is definitely the best team we've played, and my favorite for the national title. I think we'll lose, but I want to see some fight and not feel like we're out of their league.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/08/21 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like the UConn lineup that ended the 1Q. PB more dangerous against this kind of defense as the ball handler with two bigs under the basket. Need rebounding against SC. Outside chucking won't win it.
Shades

PostPosted: 02/08/21 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

14-10 SC end of first

singinerd54

PostPosted: 02/08/21 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Paige rushing, but looking better than against Tennessee. I like the amount of aggressiveness, even if she's rushing her shots. Seeing Boston in the paint is a big difference than anything she's seen so far.

NIKA!!! That block!! Love her intensity. What Geno said about her in the post game about UConn basketball is so true (was also said about Aaliyah).

Christyn Confused Sad I want her or Evina to be on the floor, not both.

Unless Aaliyah is going to have better positioning and rebounding inside, we also need ONO on the court. ONO looking better than expected! I like her out high for the passing, and don't mind the jump shots (with some discretion).

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 02/08/21 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Both teams totally unsettled right now.....

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 02/08/21 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This does not look like a 1 versus 2 matchup Shocked

singinerd54

PostPosted: 02/08/21 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How TF is no one on the ball with 3 seconds left?! Terrible. When scoring is so precious, that is a major miss.

Aubrey, make that layup!! Aaliyah, that foul at the 3 point line cannot happen!!

Overall, we are playing hard and I am pleasantly surprised at the intensity. Geno goes with the defensive lineup, which works for me. Aubrey with the individual defense those last few minutes was great.

The charge on Cooke and the moving screen call on ONO were both bad.

Poor shot making, but some really strong defense happening on both sides.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 02/08/21 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
I like the UConn lineup that ended the 1Q. PB more dangerous against this kind of defense as the ball handler with two bigs under the basket. Need rebounding against SC. Outside chucking won't win it.

I want to have the other guard be Nika, but other than that yeah..the three freshman, ONO and Griffin.

Also, Aaliyah’d +/-in big games has to be huge..We’re better with her in the game.

Last edited by mercfan3 on 02/08/21 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 02/08/21 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Uconn could make layups they'd be up by 10.
at the other end, I think Henderson is pigging the ball a bit too much.

I guess you could call it a defensive battle but the offense is sucking. 1-11 from three between the two teams. ugh.

ucbart

PostPosted: 02/08/21 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
If Uconn could make layups they'd be up by 10.
at the other end, I think Henderson is pigging the ball a bit too much.

I guess you could call it a defensive battle but the offense is sucking. 1-11 from three between the two teams. ugh.

Yeah...and the 1 is something that is made so rarely.

This game can be summarized in one word....clank! I don't even know what to say about Christyn at this point. Oh wait, I do....she is USELESS against a zone. She has no idea what to do and her game smarts just aren't there. If the defense isn't giving her exactly what she needs to be successful, she is lost. And, how many dumb turnovers can she have? It's the same story, every time we have a meaningful game. I've never seen a UCONN player who is this bad, almost atrocious, when the lights are brightest.

ucbart

PostPosted: 02/08/21 7:59 pm    ::: Re: #1 South Carolina @ #2 Connecticut - 2/08/21 Reply Reply with quote

Two more things:

1. These announcers are atrocious. Fox, you have been GIFTED that greatest program that WBB has to offer. Spend some money and hire someone that's not McNutt. She is horrible. And, did something get added to the hand book? Every time I listen to a game, even if SC isn't on the floor, the announcers SLOBBER all over Dawn.

2. No crowd is a huge problem. This is flat and there is 0 energy.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/08/21 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Evina has disappeared.
Williams and Griffin have some of the same issues. Neither can shoot, but boy are they active.
Muhl is coming along nicely. I'm enjoying watching her.

- Amanda Gorman
mercfan3

PostPosted: 02/08/21 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is South Carolina playing a box and one on Paige? It looks like it sometimes (that is exactly how I’d play UConn this year)

Evina does seem to be in a slump..but as I’ve been saying, I want the three freshman and the two next best players on the floor. (Appears to be ONO and CW or Griffin right now).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: