RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

O/T - Wash State football HC & 4 AC fired for no vaccine
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 10/19/21 12:20 pm    ::: O/T - Wash State football HC & 4 AC fired for no vaccine Reply Reply with quote

Man, I know this is a polarizing topic so I'm not looking to get into whether anyone should have a choice or not, but kinda surprised by this. The Cougars fired their head football coach and 4 assts for not getting vaccinated by the deadline of October 18th.

The reason for posting this in here isn't to get into a political debate about this, but are there any WBB programs that may also be affected by this down the road?

For the record, my wife is a nurse and hundreds of nurses were let go throughout her system due to not getting the vaccine.

Here's the CBSSports article: https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/washington-state-coach-nick-rolovich-four-assistants-fired-for-cause-over-covid-19-vaccine-mandate/

pilight

PostPosted: 10/19/21 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's a mandate for state employees in Washington, so any public university coaches in that state are potentially at risk.

PostPosted: 10/19/21 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
It's a mandate for state employees in Washington, so any public university coaches in that state are potentially at risk.

Yeah, I know it's a mandate. How many states have mandated this for all their employees? I wonder if the basketball staffs at those schools have a different deadline that is more in line with the start of their seasons.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/19/21 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
pilight wrote:

Yeah, I know it's a mandate. How many states have mandated this for all their employees? I wonder if the basketball staffs at those schools have a different deadline that is more in line with the start of their seasons.

I wouldn't think so. They are state employees doing work before their season starts.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 10/19/21 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
pilight wrote:

I would hope that any vaccine mandates were based on public health considerations and not sports schedules.

This is a recent article listing states with vaccine mandates. There are at least 14 states with mandates for state employees, school employees, or higher education employees.
https://sbshrs.adpinfo.com/blog/federal-and-state-covid-19-vaccine-mandates-where-do-they-stand

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 10/19/21 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rolovich only has himself to blame. He was told he would be fired if he didn't get vaccinated. He didn't and there's the door.

Personally, I would never want to play for him after this because as a coach he likely spins some kind of put the team ahead of yourself. And he clearly doesn't practice what he preaches.

So good riddance to bad rubbish.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 10/19/21 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
Rolovich only has himself to blame. He was told he would be fired if he didn't get vaccinated. He didn't and there's the door.

Personally, I would never want to play for him after this because as a coach he likely spins some kind of put the team ahead of yourself. And he clearly doesn't practice what he preaches.

So good riddance to bad rubbish.

You’re not the only one who feels that way.
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/wsu-cougar-football/commentary-this-ended-the-only-way-it-could-for-wsu-and-unvaccinated-football-coach-nick-rolovich/

bucks4now

PostPosted: 10/20/21 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In our country we have freedom of religion. We don't know what his religious beliefs are.

As a libertarian, I'm against mandates. It should be a personal choice and not mandates. Nobody ever looks at the unintended consequences. This time it's a vaccine, what is next?

Maybe his players will respect him more because he stood up for his principles.

We shouldn't be haters just because one a different perspective.

Howee

PostPosted: 10/20/21 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:
In our country we have freedom of religion. We don't know what his religious beliefs are.

As a libertarian, I'm against mandates. It should be a personal choice and not mandates. Nobody ever looks at the unintended consequences. This time it's a vaccine, what is next?

What's next? I dunno....maybe mandatory seat belt usage? Arrests for drinking while driving? No, wait....we already do that! (But, what if my "religion" says I can do whatever I want in my own car?) We Americans are really good at balking when NEW demands arise, and are quick to see it as a limitation of our own freedom, never mind our community's welfare.

This religious freedom thing is bogus: there's even a pastor with a website that allows people to download letters of "religious exemption" to just anybody.

(Now, I'm thinking....what about the lepers of Jesus' time? Did they object to being warehoused in leper colonies? Did their 'religious freedom' entitle them to protest that indignity?) Shocked

PostPosted: 10/20/21 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've read that he is Catholic. If that's true, then that is probably why he did not qualify for a religious exemption. Not only would the Pope oppose a religious exemption, but Rolovich's local diocese probably would not support it either. As I understand it, the bishop of the diocese of Spokane is opposed to vaccine mandates, but he encourages everyone to get vaccinated against COVID and he discourages priests from providing written support for religious exemption claims.

I think it is interesting that he is trying to claim a religious exemption, but he has also said that he is not against vaccinations. How does that work? Is he just saying that he wants everyone else to get vaccinated against COVID to keep him protected?

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 10/20/21 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bcdawg04 wrote:
I've read that he is Catholic. If that's true, then that is probably why he did not qualify for a religious exemption. Not only would the Pope oppose a religious exemption, but Rolovich's local diocese probably would not support it either. As I understand it, the bishop of the diocese of Spokane is opposed to vaccine mandates, but he encourages everyone to get vaccinated against COVID and he discourages priests from providing written support for religious exemption claims.

I think it is interesting that he is trying to claim a religious exemption, but he has also said that he is not against vaccinations. How does that work? Is he just saying that he wants everyone else to get vaccinated against COVID to keep him protected?

This is from the article I linked above.
Quote:
As politically fraught as the issue has become, Washington State made the process as fair and objective as possible.

It worked with the state attorney general’s office to define the criteria for exemptions.

It established and trained a team of people to review the requests for religious and medical exemptions.

It used input from numerous arms of the university to determine whether accommodations could be made for Rolovich to keep the public safe while effectively carrying out his contractual duties.

Those duties extend far beyond watching film alone in his office and coaching on the sideline with a mask and headset.

He must engage with recruits, attend functions with alumni and donors and represent the university — the entire university — in public.

It was untenable, and anyone with a shred of common sense knew it.

It's also rather curious that four of his top AC's all filed for religious exemptions too...four of the total of fifty WSU employees that were fired. The odds on that seem rather small, unless they were all hired because they belonged to the same church. Rolovich is, of course, suing.
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/wsu-cougar-football/former-wsu-football-coach-nick-rolovich-to-file-lawsuit-after-being-fired-for-noncompliance-with-vaccine-mandate/

Last edited by FrozenLVFan on 10/20/21 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 10/20/21 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:

Yes we do. He's a Catholic.

https://247sports.com/college/washington-state/Article/Nick-Rolovich-lawyer-says-WSU-demonized-him-for-Catholic-faith-173504140/

Quote:
the recently fired football coach’s attorney today claimed that WSU athletic director Pat Chun “derided, demonized, and ultimately fired” Rolovich “for being devout in his Catholic faith."

The Catholic Church, like virtually all legitimate churches, does not prohibit or oppose vaccination. The Pope has been vaccinated and urges others to get it as well.

PostPosted: 10/20/21 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The Catholic Church, like virtually all legitimate churches, does not prohibit or oppose vaccination.

....IS there such a thing?? Shocked Razz

Yeah, I s'pose every state and federal employee could bring a lawsuit, from janitors and clerks all the way to the High 'n Mighty (that = big $$$ wages).
Why is Mr. Rolovich so special, that his exemption merits consideration?

PostPosted: 10/20/21 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

He’s just become the leading candidate for head football coach position at any Idaho University, (or maybe even Idaho governor).

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 10/20/21 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:

He's supposedly catholic.

And if I was a player of his, I wouldn't respect him at all. He wants me to do what's best for the team and his decision to put himself above what is good for the team shows EXACTLY what he really is.
Youth Coach

PostPosted: 10/20/21 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:

It's also rather curious that four of his top AC's all filed for religious exemptions too...four of the total of fifty WSU that were fired. The odds on that seem rather small, unless they were all hired because they belonged to the same church. Rolovich is, of course, suing.
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/wsu-cougar-football/former-wsu-football-coach-nick-rolovich-to-file-lawsuit-after-being-fired-for-noncompliance-with-vaccine-mandate/

Of course he's suing...because he's a coward.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 10/20/21 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Youth Coach wrote:
bucks4now wrote:

He's supposedly catholic.

And if I was a player of his, I wouldn't respect him at all. He wants me to do what's best for the team and his decision to put himself above what is good for the team shows EXACTLY what he really is.

It seems that at least some of the players are more upset about getting COVID and racism.
https://thegrio.com/2021/09/05/kassidy-woods-sues-wsu/

Quote:
In June 2020, the school started asking athletes to voluntarily return to campus to participate in football-related activities, the lawsuit said. The school promised to take precautions to prevent athletes from catching COVID-19, the lawsuit said. That was important to Woods, who carries the sickle cell trait and was susceptible to the virus, the lawsuit said.

“Unfortunately, the promised environment of campus as the “safest place” for athletes was a complete fabrication by Defendants,” the lawsuit said...

Players, many of whom were Black, began catching COVID-19, and Woods and other players began questioning the return to campus...

In July 2020, Woods and another player met with Rolovich to discuss the #WeAreUnited movement, their concerns regarding the health risks associated with their athletic participation, and the apparent lack of planning or testing, among other concerns, the lawsuit said. Their worries were confirmed when 60 student-athletes at WSU came down with COVID-19, the lawsuit said. On Aug. 1, 2020, Woods and Rolovich had an additional conversation about COVID-19 and Woods’ concerns for his own health. Woods told Rolovich that, due to his health concerns, he was going to opt-out of the 2020 football season.

Rolovich responded by asking if Woods was a part of the #WeAreUnited group. Woods affirmed that he was, the lawsuit said. In response, Rolovich told Woods that opting out for health reasons was fine, but being involved with #WeAreUnited was a problem, the lawsuit said.

According to the court filings, Rolovich then immediately instructed Woods to clean out his locker and told Woods he could not be around the other players.

bucks4now

PostPosted: 10/20/21 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
bucks4now wrote:

https://247sports.com/college/washington-state/Article/Nick-Rolovich-lawyer-says-WSU-demonized-him-for-Catholic-faith-173504140/

Quote:
the recently fired football coach’s attorney today claimed that WSU athletic director Pat Chun “derided, demonized, and ultimately fired” Rolovich “for being devout in his Catholic faith."

The Catholic Church, like virtually all legitimate churches, does not prohibit or oppose vaccination. The Pope has been vaccinated and urges others to get it as well.

Well if everyone in the USA follows the Pope, our President and Speaker would be pro life.

Howee

PostPosted: 10/20/21 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:
pilight wrote:

Well if everyone in the USA follows the Pope, our President and Speaker would be pro life.

Geez....talk about a fukkd up government/country. Shocked Laughing

Yeah, it's not about his "religion", it's about his privileged perspective on life. "Religion" is his excuse to exercise his 'privilege'.

Last edited by Howee on 10/22/21 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 10/20/21 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:
pilight wrote:
bucks4now wrote:

Quote:

He's claiming a religious exception, it makes sense to see what his stated religion has to say on the subject.

Biden is pro-life. He's said he believes life begins at conception. He's also said he does not believe it's the place of public servants to impose their religious views on the public.

PostPosted: 10/20/21 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:
The Catholic Church, like virtually all legitimate churches, does not prohibit or oppose vaccination.

....IS there such a thing?? Shocked Razz

Yeah, I s'pose every state and federal employee could bring a lawsuit, from janitors and clerks all the way to the High 'n Mighty (that = big $$$ wages).
Why is Mr. Rolovich so special, that his exemption merits consideration?

He grew up as a white, male athlete (quarterback, no less). People have been kissing his ass for a long time. Why would he expect that to end now? Wink

I was surprised when I posted this to Area 51 on 10/18/2021 that he was still listed as football coach on the school website.

I'm really, really surprised that he's STILL there now! They do have an 'acting head coach' listed. They have not removed the other four coaches either. There are phone numbers listed for all five. There is no email listed for Rolovich, but the other four are still showing email addresses.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
HomerCecil

PostPosted: 10/22/21 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:

Statements like this remind me that in America, many people are more focused on their own personal freedoms than the freedom of other people to be protected from Covid. There’s this sense, particularly one that developed from 2016 to 2020, that it’s okay to put yourself first and think only of yourself. That was the message from the Trump presidency. America first, right? When that filters down, people make selfish decisions.

Howee

PostPosted: 10/22/21 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
bucks4now wrote:

Statements like this remind me that in America, many people are more focused on their own personal freedoms than the freedom of other people to be protected from Covid. There’s this sense, particularly one that developed from 2016 to 2020, that it’s okay to put yourself first and think only of yourself. That was the message from the Trump presidency. America first, right? When that filters down, people make selfish decisions.

VERY well said! Cool

PostPosted: 10/22/21 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
HomerCecil wrote:
bucks4now wrote:

VERY well said! Cool

Personal freedoms are selfish. Anytime one makes a decision for one's family you would consider to be selfish. When you take your freedom away, it's called coercion.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/22/21 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
bucks4now wrote:

Maybe they're not convinced the government should have the power to tell people what they can and can't do with their own body.

Your body, your choice

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: