RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2021 Coaching Movement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 47, 48, 49  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/17/21 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Sherri Coale retires from Oklahoma

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/sports/2021/03/17/sherri-coale-retires-oklahoma-sooners-womens-college-basketball/4729099001/

Whoa, I did NOT see this coming. That's a pretty good job right there.

The AD has time to make his way down to San Antonio as there should be a few candidates all in the same spot. No need to wait until the Final Four.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/17/21 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I don't think fans are the issue in terms of hiring a white male right now -- it's more the internal politics of the university and how they relate to public perception of UW's wokeness. And "the public" is the broader public in the state and around the country, most of whom are uninterested in the basketball team but very, very invested in giving people of color, especially female people of color, every opportunity to succeed.

You can call it "woke" or you can call it PC, but it's what wrecked the program at the other UW...Wisconsin.

PostPosted: 03/17/21 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Northwestern was a door mat for MANY years in the Big 10...they then hired the right coach and now they are doing well.

Illinois too has basically been a doormat since T Grentz and L. Golden (in the mid to late 80's) left!

Wisconsin is NOT a great basketball state for girl's or boy's, and IL has really gone down in talent for the state in girl's basketball and in recruiting to top tier (Power 5) college programs.

WI is NOT a basketball haven, and with B. Alvarez who is NOT willing to go out and actively get a top coach, WI will continue to be at the bottom of the conference along with IL.

It wold take 7-10 years for any coach to resurrect the Illini and the Badgers...not the 5-6 years AD's want to give a coach...you cannot make up for 20 - 30 years of a program at the bottom of the conference anymore, in a Power 5 conference.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/17/21 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

People say WI isn't a good girls basketball state, but a player like Megan Gustafson shows there is talent everywhere. A good recruiting eye, good coaching, and player development all matter, too

Last edited by undersized_post on 03/17/21 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/17/21 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
People say WI isn't a good girls basketball state, but a player like Megan Gustafson shows there is talent everywhere. A good recruiting eye and good coaching, and player development matter, too

Oh, it definitely is, it just flies under the radar. There is a little town called Barneveld that has produced some fine players, including a Nebraska PG whose name escapes me at the moment. Hannah something.

PostPosted: 03/17/21 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
People say WI isn't a good girls basketball state, but a player like Megan Gustafson shows there is talent everywhere. A good recruiting eye and good coaching, and player development matter, too

Oh, it definitely is, it just flies under the radar. There is a little town called Barneveld that has produced some fine players, including a Nebraska PG whose name escapes me at the moment. Hannah something.

This year, and in recent years, Wisconsin has not produced a lot of talent. At the same time, Minnesota is swimming in top flight prospects.

In short, it goes in cycles, and there will be a time, sooner or later, when Wisconsin produces some quality players (if they don't wind up playing volleyball, which may be the issue).

But just because a state produces talent doesn't mean the talent will stay there. It was not that long ago that West Coast players headed East, and speaking of Minnesota, six of that state's players are on Lehigh's roster (and Lehigh is in the tournament).

San Francisco Bay Area talent has not wound up at Berkeley, and often not even in California, so there's more than just the local environment in play here.

PostPosted: 03/17/21 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

This year, and in recent years, Wisconsin has not produced a lot of talent. At the same time, Minnesota is swimming in top flight prospects.

In short, it goes in cycles, and there will be a time, sooner or later, when Wisconsin produces some quality players (if they don't wind up playing volleyball, which may be the issue).

But just because a state produces talent doesn't mean the talent will stay there. It was not that long ago that West Coast players headed East, and speaking of Minnesota, six of that state's players are on Lehigh's roster (and Lehigh is in the tournament).

San Francisco Bay Area talent has not wound up at Berkeley, and often not even in California, so there's more than just the local environment in play here.

Madison is also pretty close to Illinois and Chicago, which have produced a lot of talent over the years.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/17/21 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hannah Whitish. And she's too short to play volleyball really. Racine, WI typically produces some pretty good players too, as does the Milwaukee area. At one time there was some cross-state line movement...Illinois girls came north and vice versa. Girls don't necessarily stay in-state just because any more. They go wherever the chemistry feels right. Otherwise why would Maggie Vick from Morristown, TN be headed to Iowa State? Riddle me that.

PostPosted: 03/17/21 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Hannah Whitish. And she's too short to play volleyball really. Racine, WI typically produces some pretty good players too, as does the Milwaukee area. At one time there was some cross-state line movement...Illinois girls came north and vice versa. Girls don't necessarily stay in-state just because any more. They go wherever the chemistry feels right. Otherwise why would Maggie Vick from Morristown, TN be headed to Iowa State? Riddle me that.

Marquette has had more players recently from Chicago than they have from Wisconsin.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/17/21 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Marquette has had more players recently from Chicago than they have from Wisconsin.

Didn't they kind of always? DePaul and Loyola can't grab all of them.

PostPosted: 03/17/21 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Didn't they kind of always? DePaul and Loyola can't grab all of them.

Actually I meant to say Illinois instead of Chicago in particular.

I just meant to say that it's not like Marquette draws a lot of players from Wisconsin usually. Although when they had the five 1,000 point scorer class when Kieger was here - 3 of those were from Wisconsin - Allazia Blockton and Amani Wilborn were from Milwaukee and Natisha Hiedeman was from Green Bay.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/17/21 9:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UW-Milwaukee coach Kyle Rechlicz (nee Black) says she wouldn't be interested in returning to her alma mater Wisconsin to coach at this time. Of course no one said they are interested in her - a local reporter just asked her about her possible interest in the job:

https://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news/milwaukee-panthers-womens-basketball-makes-wnit?fbclid=IwAR1QlAz65s2FnmUf9uCqoDFn9w-Sah0zKwLYmVqkHEU6CVrSL0sXz9HncKk

pilight

PostPosted: 03/17/21 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bunky Harkleroad out at Sacramento State

https://www.hornetsports.com/sports/wbkb/2020-21/releases/20210316ngglvl

PostPosted: 03/17/21 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The state of Wisconsin has had some very talented players over the years. They just have not been good at keeping them in-state. One of my personal favorites is Janel McCarville, who played at Minnesota. In addition to Gustafson, other recent or current players include Arike Ogunbowale at Notre Dame, Sidney Cooks at Mississippi State, and Warnock at Iowa.

elsie

PostPosted: 03/18/21 3:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

you know, I don't even know what race or religion or anything about most coaches and its shocking that people would keep lists with all these details in their minds.....its actually racism to do that....classifying people by their race.....

how about hiring someone who has the ability to coach?

I would hope most honest coaches would like to know they were hired because of their ABILITY.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/18/21 6:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:
The state of Wisconsin has had some very talented players over the years. They just have not been good at keeping them in-state. One of my personal favorites is Janel McCarville, who played at Minnesota. In addition to Gustafson, other recent or current players include Arike Ogunbowale at Notre Dame, Sidney Cooks at Mississippi State, and Warnock at Iowa.

I don't think anyone is saying there is no talent in Wisconsin. But overall Wisconsin is not strong for girls basketball.

Marquette's leading scorer (Allazia Blockton) is from Milwaukee and she broke the record held previously by Krystal Ellis who was from Racine. And their first WNBA player Natisha Hiedeman is from Green Bay. They've had quite a few other talented players over the years from Wisconsin also. But right now they have all of one player from Wisconsin on their roster.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/18/21 7:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Y'all have your causes and effects reversed. If the U of Wisconsin had a strong program it would spur the local talent to improve. That's what happened in Connecticut, which was hardly a hotbed of HS girls hoops before Auriemma. When UConn made their first F4 they had only one starter from Connecticut (Laura Lishness).

PostPosted: 03/18/21 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Matilda Mossman retires from Tulsa

https://tulsahurricane.com/news/2021/3/18/womens-basketball-tulsas-matilda-mossman-announces-retirement-after-10-years-as-womens-basketball-coach.aspx

PostPosted: 03/19/21 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Y'all have your causes and effects reversed. If the U of Wisconsin had a strong program it would spur the local talent to improve. That's what happened in Connecticut, which was hardly a hotbed of HS girls hoops before Auriemma. When UConn made their first F4 they had only one starter from Connecticut (Laura Lishness).

Do they have anyone on the whole TEAM now who's from in state?

PostPosted: 03/19/21 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not that this conversation necessarily partains to this thread, but I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Lexi Donarski of Iowa State, Big 12 Freshman of the Year and future WNBA player, who is from LaCrosse, WI. She's on a trajectory to be one of the state's all-time greats.

PostPosted: 03/19/21 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
pilight wrote:

Do they have anyone on the whole TEAM now who's from in state?

Pilight's claim is interesting, but I'm not sure it's true for Connecticut.

Connecticut has never been, and is not now, a hotbed of HSGBB in the sense that other states are. It's a small state with small cities.

I suppose it's possible that the success of UConn over the decades may have produced more interest in HSGBB than otherwise. But, even if true, that doesn't mean it has produced players good enough to play for UConn. There haven't been many this century.

At UConn, the last homegrown CT All-American was Nykesha Sales in '97 and '98. The last CT starter I recall was Maria Conlon in '03 and '04. The last recruited CT scholarship scholarship player (i.e., not counting a couple of CT walk-ons) was end-of-bench Heather Buck from 2009-13. UConn did not offer the last two state "stars" that I recall: Bria Holmes (2012) and Kiah Gillespie (2015), who ended up at WVU and Maryland/FSU.
pilight

PostPosted: 03/19/21 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hope thefutureisbright is OK. He's been off for a week.

PostPosted: 03/19/21 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Not that this conversation necessarily partains to this thread, but I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Lexi Donarski of Iowa State, Big 12 Freshman of the Year and future WNBA player, who is from LaCrosse, WI. She's on a trajectory to be one of the state's all-time greats.

For some reason I mistakenly thought she was from Minnesota. You think she's WNBA material?

pilight

PostPosted: 03/19/21 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Simon Harris hired at ETSU

https://www.etsubucs.com/wbasketball/news/2020-21/17627/etsu-names-simon-harris-new-womens-basketball-head-coach/

PostPosted: 03/19/21 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Paula Buscher out at SIUE

https://www.siuecougars.com/sports/w-baskbl/2020-21/releases/20210318o8ixhv

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 4 of 49

Jump to: