RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

2021 Coaching Movement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 25, 26, 27  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 15631
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/10/21 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
He had a few years left...looks like it was through 2024-25. He was paid $650K annually (base of $400k and another $250k through media, etc). I don't know what the payout was but I'm guessing they are gonna spend 7 figures to ask him to leave.


So, if you're Wisconsin, who do you go after? Is Wisconsin a good state for girl's HS basketball? I assume it's very Volleyball heavy since the Badgers are a perennial top-5 team. This new coach will have to compete with Volleyball and Meghan Duffy at Marquette, who IMO, if she stays, will get a lot of recruits that could possibly go to Wisconsin. She's just a great young coach.


I wonder if that is who they go after ... I hope Purdue does, and if are a Midwestern program it's hard to think of a better option.


summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 6366
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/10/21 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
He had a few years left...looks like it was through 2024-25. He was paid $650K annually (base of $400k and another $250k through media, etc). I don't know what the payout was but I'm guessing they are gonna spend 7 figures to ask him to leave.


So, if you're Wisconsin, who do you go after? Is Wisconsin a good state for girl's HS basketball? I assume it's very Volleyball heavy since the Badgers are a perennial top-5 team. This new coach will have to compete with Volleyball and Meghan Duffy at Marquette, who IMO, if she stays, will get a lot of recruits that could possibly go to Wisconsin. She's just a great young coach.


What you don't do is what they keep doing since Jane Albright retired, which is hire mid-major coaches and expect them to succeed in dragging the Badgers out of the basement of the B1G. Insanity is...



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
Marquette Fan



Joined: 06 Mar 2005
Posts: 3128



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/10/21 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
He had a few years left...looks like it was through 2024-25. He was paid $650K annually (base of $400k and another $250k through media, etc). I don't know what the payout was but I'm guessing they are gonna spend 7 figures to ask him to leave.


So, if you're Wisconsin, who do you go after? Is Wisconsin a good state for girl's HS basketball? I assume it's very Volleyball heavy since the Badgers are a perennial top-5 team. This new coach will have to compete with Volleyball and Meghan Duffy at Marquette, who IMO, if she stays, will get a lot of recruits that could possibly go to Wisconsin. She's just a great young coach.


Wisconsin isn't super strong for Girl's Basketball. Marquette only has one player from Wisconsin on their roster right now (Chloe Marotta). That's not to say that there haven't been good players from Wisconsin to choose out of state schools though. I'm interested to see who Wisconsin does look at for this job.


Richard 77



Joined: 19 Nov 2004
Posts: 4009
Location: Lake Mills, Wisconsin


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/10/21 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
ucbart wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
He had a few years left...looks like it was through 2024-25. He was paid $650K annually (base of $400k and another $250k through media, etc). I don't know what the payout was but I'm guessing they are gonna spend 7 figures to ask him to leave.


So, if you're Wisconsin, who do you go after? Is Wisconsin a good state for girl's HS basketball? I assume it's very Volleyball heavy since the Badgers are a perennial top-5 team. This new coach will have to compete with Volleyball and Meghan Duffy at Marquette, who IMO, if she stays, will get a lot of recruits that could possibly go to Wisconsin. She's just a great young coach.


Wisconsin isn't super strong for Girl's Basketball. Marquette only has one player from Wisconsin on their roster right now (Chloe Marotta). That's not to say that there haven't been good players from Wisconsin to choose out of state schools though. I'm interested to see who Wisconsin does look at for this job.


If anyone hasn’t heard, I. Lewis of Wisconsin entered the transfer portal today. Coach T. Is gone, so is she.



_________________
If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
Richard 77



Joined: 19 Nov 2004
Posts: 4009
Location: Lake Mills, Wisconsin


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/10/21 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Opinion piece:

If I am the head or assistant coach of a mid-major program and Wisconsin comes knocking on my door, I tell them thanks, but no thanks. I've done my homework and know it's a five-year dead-end job. No matter how much they'd be willing to pay, my answer would be no.

The new hire depends on how serious the athletic department at Wisconsin is on rejuvenating the women's basketball program. If they continue to attempt to hire mid-major coaches, the next hire (whomever is silly enough to take the job) will have a difficult time recruiting good talent as potential players can also do their homework and see that mid-major coaching hires at Wisconsin doesn't translate to success. I would definitely take my basketball talent elsewhere.

If there's any hope left to this program, the bigwigs at Wisconsin need to hire a name. A head coach high school players across the country recognize, and a coach Wisconsin is willing to dig deep into the wallet to pay for. If they aren't, then this program will continue to keep spinning its wheels for another two decades.

Our best hope for getting the women's basketball program back on track will be to see the retirement of Alverez.



_________________
If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
Durantula



Joined: 30 Mar 2013
Posts: 4736



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/11/21 7:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tsipis already had assistant and head coach experience...




Last edited by Durantula on 03/12/21 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
undersized_post



Joined: 01 Mar 2021
Posts: 847
Location: midwest/indiana/iowa


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/11/21 8:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richard 77 wrote:


If anyone hasn’t heard, I. Lewis of Wisconsin entered the transfer portal today. Coach T. Is gone, so is she.


Lewis could be a gift for a lot of programs!


ucbart



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 2091
Location: New York


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/11/21 8:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richard 77 wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
ucbart wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
He had a few years left...looks like it was through 2024-25. He was paid $650K annually (base of $400k and another $250k through media, etc). I don't know what the payout was but I'm guessing they are gonna spend 7 figures to ask him to leave.


So, if you're Wisconsin, who do you go after? Is Wisconsin a good state for girl's HS basketball? I assume it's very Volleyball heavy since the Badgers are a perennial top-5 team. This new coach will have to compete with Volleyball and Meghan Duffy at Marquette, who IMO, if she stays, will get a lot of recruits that could possibly go to Wisconsin. She's just a great young coach.


Wisconsin isn't super strong for Girl's Basketball. Marquette only has one player from Wisconsin on their roster right now (Chloe Marotta). That's not to say that there haven't been good players from Wisconsin to choose out of state schools though. I'm interested to see who Wisconsin does look at for this job.


If anyone hasn’t heard, I. Lewis of Wisconsin entered the transfer portal today. Coach T. Is gone, so is she.


Does anyone have access to the transfer portal? I expect that thing to see it's busiest year yet.


summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 6366
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/11/21 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
You say mid major coaches but before Tsipis didn't they hire Kelsey straight from Stanford? I don't know why that is necessarily a better path. Tsipis was also an assistant at Notre Dame but had the benefit of running his own program for a few years.


And they gave Kelsey exactly what, three years before she was out the door, or maybe four? She was actually on the way to getting something done. I think that was towards the end of Pat Richter's AD career. But Alvarez is no better. All either one of them ever cared about is football, plus hockey because they had to.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
thefutureisbright



Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Posts: 2694



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/11/21 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

George Mason open as Nyla Milleson resigns. 2nd article states she is becoming Hollister HS AD.

https://gomason.com/news/2021/3/11/womens-basketball-nyla-milleson-resigns-as-george-masons-womens-basketball-head-coach.aspx

https://www.news-leader.com/story/sports/high-school/2021/03/11/nyla-milleson-geoge-mason-coach-resigns-become-hollister-ad/4648134001/


BD22



Joined: 27 Nov 2016
Posts: 54
Location: Southeast


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/11/21 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Durantula wrote:
You say mid major coaches but before Tsipis didn't they hire Kelsey straight from Stanford? I don't know why that is necessarily a better path. Tsipis was also an assistant at Notre Dame but had the benefit of running his own program for a few years.


And they gave Kelsey exactly what, three years before she was out the door, or maybe four? She was actually on the way to getting something done. I think that was towards the end of Pat Richter's AD career. But Alvarez is no better. All either one of them ever cared about is football, plus hockey because they had to.


Kelsey and Tsipis both got 5 seasons. Which, IMO, isn't long enough to ask someone to build something in a difficult conference.


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 62682
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/11/21 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BD22 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Durantula wrote:
You say mid major coaches but before Tsipis didn't they hire Kelsey straight from Stanford? I don't know why that is necessarily a better path. Tsipis was also an assistant at Notre Dame but had the benefit of running his own program for a few years.


And they gave Kelsey exactly what, three years before she was out the door, or maybe four? She was actually on the way to getting something done. I think that was towards the end of Pat Richter's AD career. But Alvarez is no better. All either one of them ever cared about is football, plus hockey because they had to.


Kelsey and Tsipis both got 5 seasons. Which, IMO, isn't long enough to ask someone to build something in a difficult conference.


It's long enough to show some progress, which neither did



_________________
The power of the police to fulfill their functions and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and behavior, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect
Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 6548



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/11/21 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jody Craig resigns after being suspended.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/2021/03/11/monmouth-womens-coach-jody-craig-resigns-two-days-after-suspension/4653465001/



_________________
"The biggest antidote to his poison is the vote.” — Nancy Pelosi

"Our democracy is designed to speak truth to power." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

"If this guy can be Senator, you can do anything." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Youth Coach



Joined: 23 Mar 2008
Posts: 4641



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/12/21 7:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Jody Craig resigns after being suspended.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/2021/03/11/monmouth-womens-coach-jody-craig-resigns-two-days-after-suspension/4653465001/


Definitely need clarity as to why she was suspended.
PG4ever



Joined: 14 May 2020
Posts: 91



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/12/21 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if Wisconsin will try to get Duffy. Wisconsin is just a tough gig. Great school but I wouldn't want to coach WBB there. Can anybody turn things around there?


RHSibley



Joined: 25 May 2018
Posts: 10
Location: Stafford


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/12/21 2:19 pm    ::: McNeese State (Southland Conference) seeks new coach Reply Reply with quote

McNeese State is parting ways with head coach Kacie Cryer after five losing seasons in a row. McNeese is a member of the Southland Conference.
Cryer spent many years at McNeese, first as an assistant and then as head coach.
A nationwide search is underway.


PickledGinger



Joined: 04 Oct 2013
Posts: 970



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/12/21 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Does anyone have access to the transfer portal? I expect that thing to see it's busiest year yet.


https://wbbblog.com/womens-basketball-transfers-fall-2020-summer-2021/

It's not the portal itself but this blog is up to date as of today.



_________________
"Life is chaos. Success is completely arbitrary. Confidence is everything." - Gina Linetti
BD22



Joined: 27 Nov 2016
Posts: 54
Location: Southeast


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/21 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

George Washington opens

https://gwsports.com/news/2021/3/15/womens-basketball-gw-and-jen-rizzotti-part-ways.aspx


purduefanatic



Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Posts: 2648
Location: Indiana


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/21 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BD22 wrote:
George Washington opens

https://gwsports.com/news/2021/3/15/womens-basketball-gw-and-jen-rizzotti-part-ways.aspx


That's a shame. I have always liked and admired her. She had great success at Hartford and I really thought she would do well there given her name and how good she was at recruiting the Philly area while at Hartford.


summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 6366
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/21 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe they should hire Tsipis back?



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 6366
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/21 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
I wonder if Wisconsin will try to get Duffy. Wisconsin is just a tough gig. Great school but I wouldn't want to coach WBB there. Can anybody turn things around there?


You need to know the state and the upper midwest and have some idea of a good recruiting base there. I think that may have been both Kelsey's and Tsipis' downfall. I could be wrong, of course, but I don't think I am. They both came from bases way outside the area. But then, I don't think Alvarez cares enough about WBB.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 6366
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/21 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richard 77 wrote:
Opinion piece:

If I am the head or assistant coach of a mid-major program and Wisconsin comes knocking on my door, I tell them thanks, but no thanks. I've done my homework and know it's a five-year dead-end job. No matter how much they'd be willing to pay, my answer would be no.

The new hire depends on how serious the athletic department at Wisconsin is on rejuvenating the women's basketball program. If they continue to attempt to hire mid-major coaches, the next hire (whomever is silly enough to take the job) will have a difficult time recruiting good talent as potential players can also do their homework and see that mid-major coaching hires at Wisconsin doesn't translate to success. I would definitely take my basketball talent elsewhere.

If there's any hope left to this program, the bigwigs at Wisconsin need to hire a name. A head coach high school players across the country recognize, and a coach Wisconsin is willing to dig deep into the wallet to pay for. If they aren't, then this program will continue to keep spinning its wheels for another two decades.

Our best hope for getting the women's basketball program back on track will be to see the retirement of Alverez.


Got that right. BTW, see your PMs again for further thoughts.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 62682
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/21 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vicki Hall out at Indiana State

https://gosycamores.com/news/2021/3/15/womens-basketball-indiana-state-and-head-womens-basketball-coach-vicki-hall-agree-to-mutually-part-ways.aspx



_________________
The power of the police to fulfill their functions and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and behavior, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect
PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 15631
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/21 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Three Big Ten schools have fired men's coaches. It might be a sign that athletic departments are willing to pay for some buy-outs this year.

Who knows if it will translate to women's teams ...


purduefanatic



Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Posts: 2648
Location: Indiana


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/21 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Three Big Ten schools have fired men's coaches. It might be a sign that athletic departments are willing to pay for some buy-outs this year.

Who knows if it will translate to women's teams ...


Well, men's basketball is a money-making sport and these schools can't afford to be losing money (or not making as much as they can). Penn State's hand was forced during the season due to comments made by their coach Pat Chambers. Indiana and Minnesota have had talent and should be NCAA Tournament-caliber teams but have faltered (both have NBA First Round draft picks on their rosters). According to some people I know familiar with IU's situation, I have heard that some wealthy alums (of which there are many) are helping to ease the financial burden. Miller has failed miserably there, which I'm kinda surprised about. I think the Gophers are kinda tired of the younger Pitino and not just the results on the basketball court.

Anyway, I don't know that women's basketball is going to get the same sort of scrutiny and financial backing to make such a decision. Who knows...


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 2 of 27

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin