RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNBA in Oakland?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 01/21/21 10:39 pm    ::: WNBA in Oakland? Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/Kaplan4Oakland/status/1351960737833340929

Quote:
Yes! We are working on WNBA for Oakland as part of the planning for the future of the Arena

PostPosted: 01/21/21 11:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rebecca Kaplan's been talking about bringing a WNBA team to Oakland since 2009.

Quote:
Oakland City Councilwoman Rebecca Kaplan said she wants to put together an investment group to bring a new WNBA team to her city.

This, from 2014.

This, from a few months ago.

I'm tired of her shit. All she does is get people's hopes up talking like that. Rolling Eyes At this point, if the WNBA ever does make it to Oakland, it won't be because of her.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 01/22/21 12:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, W in Oakland is like the great white whale of this fandom.

When Diggins and Cambage were still in Dallas, I would have loved to see that team moved to Oakland. Could you imagine the Diggins and Curry cross promotion? Alas...

ClayK

PostPosted: 01/22/21 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As mentioned, Joe Lacob once owned an ABL team and has said the Warriors would like a WNBA team to use some dates in the Chase Center.

I think that's the likeliest way to get a team in the Bay Area but obviously the Warriors don't have the financial resources they did a year ago ...

PostPosted: 01/22/21 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:

When Diggins and Cambage were still in Dallas, I would have loved to see that team moved to Oakland. Could you imagine the Diggins and Curry cross promotion? Alas...

How about you move your team to Oakland... Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 01/22/21 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

Well Diggins is in PHX now, so that could work! Lol

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/22/21 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

Well Diggins is in PHX now, so that could work! Lol

I wouldn't be surprised if Leggo my Preggo planned a post partum pissy fit after DT retires to demand a trade from PHX/Oakland if that happens.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 01/22/21 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lacob said in Jan or Feb 2014 that he was ready to buy the Sparks. If it went to an LA group he was going to wait until after the team's new arena was built to get a WNBA team. The arena opened in September 2019. He was asked about the profitability of a WNBA team and said something (in 2014) about he thought most of them at least broke even (but that could have been a lie). He also said that his organization had done a great job with the Golden State Warriors as well as with their minor league team over the hill in Santa Cruz, and would do a great job with a WNBA team. Is it possible that they are still pursuing it, or did he find out the teams are not at least breaking even, and change his mind? Or did he change his mind for some other reason?

awhom111

PostPosted: 01/23/21 12:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Lacob said in Jan or Feb 2014 that he was ready to buy the Sparks. If it went to an LA group he was going to wait until after the team's new arena was built to get a WNBA team. The arena opened in September 2019. He was asked about the profitability of a WNBA team and said something (in 2014) about he thought most of them at least broke even (but that could have been a lie). He also said that his organization had done a great job with the Golden State Warriors as well as with their minor league team over the hill in Santa Cruz, and would do a great job with a WNBA team. Is it possible that they are still pursuing it, or did he find out the teams are not at least breaking even, and change his mind? Or did he change his mind for some other reason?

Lacob is not solely in charge of the Warriors so if he wants a team within the umbrella he needs enough buy-in from the rest of ownership. The arena ended up costing way more money than expected and of course now it is shuttered to all the big money events that were going to pay for it. The issue that he will run into with the rest of the owners is that WNBA games are probably less profitable than hosting all the concerts or other events that they jammed up their original schedule with and as soon as they can bring those back they will want to do that.
DFWub2018

PostPosted: 01/23/21 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:

Wow!!! At first we have to deal with fans celebrating because the above two mentioned forced their way out of Dallas, now you want to relocate their entire organization....damn!!!🙄

Randy

PostPosted: 01/23/21 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

When Diggins and Cambage were still in Dallas
, I would have loved to see that team moved to Oakland. Could you imagine the Diggins and Curry cross promotion? Alas...

Wow!!! At first we have to deal with fans celebrating because the above two mentioned forced their way out of Dallas, now you want to relocate their entire organization....damn!!!🙄

I don't think you are reading johnjohnW correctly. He wanted Dallas to move to Oakland when they had Diggins and Cambage. Now that they don't.....maybe he'd prefer some other team.... Razz So you guys are safe - no one would want the Wings now.

pilight

PostPosted: 06/14/21 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2021/06/14/an-oakland-wnba-team-its-in-one-groups-plans-for-the-coliseum-site/

Quote:
Ray Bobbitt, founder of the African American Sports and Entertainment Group, said Monday the organization is negotiating with the Women’s National Basketball Association to bring an “African American women-led” team to Oakland.

PostPosted: 06/14/21 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My immediate thought is that they're gonna make a play for the Dream.

(now with spelling variations)
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 06/14/21 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
My immediate thought is that they're gonna make a play for the Dream.

Seems logical, however, why would the current owners step in just to be. a 1-2 season placeholder? The whole thing is fishy.

In other news, I suppose were due for our biannual Bay Area rumor.

pilight

PostPosted: 06/14/21 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Seems logical, however, why would the current owners step in just to be. a 1-2 season placeholder? The whole thing is fishy.

Because y'all were desperate to be rid of Kelly Loeffler

PostPosted: 06/15/21 8:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So this is tied to the Oakland A's pursuit of a new stadium ...

The group involved (I can't recall the acronym) is Black, and is proposing to buy the City of Oakland's half of the Oakland Coliseum and Arena. The A's own the other half. It is unclear where the money will come from, or if the City will sell, or if the A's will cooperate in any manner.

But all that said, their goal is to have a Black-owned, Black-female-run WNBA team playing in Oakland, and if they make that happen, they have a really good chance to succeed. The Arena is up-to-date, the audience is there (the East Bay has both a strong lesbian community and a strong youth basketball culture for girls).

Of course, the question is whether the money is there, and whether the WNBA wants to expand. Or if the Dream or Fever would move.

If the A's finally give up on their downtown ballpark pipedream and settle back into the Coliseum, then the chances of this working go up, as the two sides will cooperate to keep up the site. If the A's move, though, then it's hard to see how the combination of the stadium and arena will be viable.

Still, glad to hear this ... love to have a team in Oakland.

PostPosted: 06/15/21 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How long have we been hearing WNBA coming to the Bay ....

PostPosted: 06/15/21 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
How long have we been hearing WNBA coming to the Bay ....

If this is credible enough, it may force the rest of the Warriors ownership to at least have some public comment about whether they would want a team since it seems unlikely there could be two teams in the Bay Area.
calbearman76

PostPosted: 06/16/21 12:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I see almost zero chance of this going through. If the A's don't get a new stadium I see them fleeing Oakland. The arena for basketball is pretty good, but it is too big for the WNBA. The baseball stadium is one of the worst in the majors. As stated before the Warriors would likely oppose the plan. I see this as far more of a PR stunt than a well thought out plan.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 06/17/21 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another source, this time from a San Francisco TV station...

https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/business-group-wants-to-buy-oakland-coliseum-attract-wnba-team/

...and by Scott Ostler of the San Francisco Chronicle...

[url]https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/article/Local-Black-investors-group-bids-to-bring-WNBA-16247742.php?utm_campaign=CMS%20Sharing%20Tools%20(Premium)&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral[/url]

PostPosted: 06/17/21 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Note that Ostler's column suggests none of this will happen ...

PostPosted: 06/22/21 5:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.reddit.com/r/warriors/comments/o50e0b/burke_i_asked_rick_welts_about_the_possibility_of/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

More bullshit from the Warriors.

Welts would be "disappointed" if it doesn't happen in the next 5 years but the quote makes it sound like the Warriors won't be the ones to do it.

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/22/21 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My usual take ...

https://newsbreakapp.onelink.me/2115408369?pid=mp_1371923&msource=mp_1371923&docid=0abENmlz&af_dp=newsbreak%3A%2F%2Fopendoc%3Fdocid%3D0abENmlz&af_web_dp=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.newsbreak.com%2Faf-landing%3Fdocid%3D0abENmlz

But a few clicks might convince some people the W is worth covering.

PostPosted: 06/22/21 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good article. I think Boston is probably the future home of the Dream, so maybe the Fever become the California Raisons.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: