RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Inauguration Day 2021 – Before, During, and After
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/11/21 11:22 pm    ::: Inauguration Day 2021 – Before, During, and After Reply Reply with quote

FBI Memo warns of possible armed protests in all 50 state Capitols

Quote:
FBI now reports in a bulletin "Armed protests are being planned at all 50 state capitols from 16 January through at least 20 January, and at the US Capitol from 17 January through 20 January"

...Which makes the acting DHS Chief's simultaneous resignation not ideal timing.

At the same time, Pence and Trump have finally conversed, and the likelihood that Pence invokes the 25th Amendment grows less likely.

That means a second Trump impeachment is all but guaranteed to take place. Still, it's impossible to know what the culmination of all of these events will look like.

Quote:
Trump faces a single charge -- “incitement of insurrection” — after the deadly Capitol riot in an impeachment resolution that the House will begin debating Wednesday.

Pending impeachment, Democrats called on Vice President Mike Pence and the Cabinet to invoke their constitutional authority under the 25th Amendment to remove Trump from office before Inauguration Day.

Their Democrats’ House resolution was blocked by Republicans. However, the full House is to hold a roll call vote on it Tuesday, and it is expected to pass. After that, Pelosi said, Pence will have 24 hours to respond. Next would be the impeachment proceedings.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 01/12/21 2:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was going to start this thread but I’m so glad someone else did. Thank you, Stormeo.

PostPosted: 01/12/21 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know they've been setting up the stage and everything outside, but maybe it would be best to hold this inside with just Biden, Harris, their spouses and a few others?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 01/12/21 10:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I know they've been setting up the stage and everything outside, but maybe it would be best to hold this inside with just Biden, Harris, their spouses and a few others?

Definitely. But we are all nuts.

PostPosted: 01/12/21 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Definitely. But we are all nuts.

NH planned to hold incumbent Governor Sununu's re-inauguration ceremony outdoors in January to permit adequate social distancing, but ended up cancelling the event due to the threat of violence by armed anti-maskers, who had been protesting outside his family home for several weeks. A lengthy televised ceremony was substituted, leaving many to wish the outdoor plans had gone forward and limited remarks to 5 minutes before frostbite cut the ceremony short.

Nuts are everywhere.

Queenie

PostPosted: 01/12/21 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At this point I'd be tempted to do the real ceremony quickly, in the safest possible place, and have stunt doubles for the public ceremony, except that would only feed the conspiracy nuts further.

(now with spelling variations)
pilight

PostPosted: 01/19/21 7:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jimmy Carter announced that he and Rosalyn will not attend

PostPosted: 01/19/21 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I had thought of how nice it might be to stage it in a more secure venue, like The Kennedy Center, where people could attend (appropriately masked and distanced) and security measures might be a bit easier. IMO, it is one of the most satisfyingly momentous occasions in my life, maybe second only to Barack's first inauguration.

PostPosted: 01/19/21 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Is that because of COVID-19? They are both in their 90's so should be sheltering-in-place.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/19/21 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
pilight wrote:

Is that because of COVID-19? They are both in their 90's so should be sheltering-in-place.

Yes, COVID was cited as the reason. Biden, as senator, was one of Carter's staunchest allies on the hill when he was president.

PostPosted: 01/19/21 11:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Woohoo! Just over 12 hours to go!! And I get to sleep through my ost of it! 🤣

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
mercfan3

PostPosted: 01/20/21 8:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I find myself thinking, thank God we picked Joe Biden.

First, I don't think any other candidate could have beat Trump.

Second..Because of Trump's refusal to conduct a peaceful transfer of power - Biden doesn't have anything in place that a President normally has in place.

But he knows how to run things. He can work with an "active" cabinet. He knows his way around the White House. He's coming prepared because he's been there.

The advantage America has - because Joe knows what to do - is astronomical.

Our national nightmare begins to end today. As much as I am thankful that we have Joe, I don't envy him and the cleanup he has to do.

PostPosted: 01/20/21 8:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

Second..Because of Trump's refusal to conduct a peaceful transfer of power - Biden doesn't have anything in place that a President normally has in place.

But he knows how to run things. He can work with an "active" cabinet. He knows his way around the White House. He's coming prepared because he's been there.

Our national nightmare begins to end today. As much as I am thankful that we have Joe, I don't envy him and the cleanup he has to do.

I agree.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/20/21 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

45 & Melania have left the White House for the last time. Trump maintained one (1) tradition in leaving a letter in the White House meant for incoming President Joe Biden.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/20/21 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
45 & Melania have left the White House for the last time. Trump maintained one (1) tradition in leaving a letter in the White House meant for incoming President Joe Biden.

And won't it be interesting to see what it says!!!!!!!! Very Happy

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 01/20/21 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

This is just another dark day on the road that we find ourselves on as a country in decline. This handoff of power occurring today is of a government that no longer works for the people of this country. The people know this and have known it for years and the dismal approval ratings of congress that are even lower than Trump’s clearly prove that.

Of course the language we’re hearing today is intended to reinforce the propping up of that government the people no longer have any control over and the fact that it comes at such a tumultuous moment doesn't change the fact that what we’re actually seeing and cheering today is the ceremonial propping up of a government that the people have no faith in and that itself has, more than any one person who has ever been a part of it, led us to where we are at this moment.

Biden is a career politician version of Trump. A serial liar, corrupt, ill-tempered towards any who dare question him, a gaffe factory, and handsy with females of any age. And his lies were exposed by an earlier more responsible iteration of our press.

But I will agree that, after four years of Donald Trump, a career politician version of Trump with diminishing mental capacities and his administration should be a vast improvement over having the functions of the federal government literally taken apart before our eyes by a complete amateur with no scruples whatsoever.

And Kamala Harris as the first woman and person of color as Vice President and likely soon to be the first woman president speaks very clearly to the abomination that our political system has become. You just have to be kidding me on that one is all I can say.

But yeah, God it is good that Donald Trump is now no longer president. That IS something to celebrate. Anyone but him, please. I don’t know if we can be said to have survived his presidency but if we are to survive it we needed to get it behind us to have any chance at all.

But this is who we elected president. As I say above, totally exposed as a fraud and a liar by an earlier better version of our national news media. Joe Biden should be at this moment, like Donald Trump should have been, barely remembered as a slightly comic figure relegated to the dustbin of history with the many other oddball charlatans from back in another century altogether.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BQKveS9reWA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PostPosted: 01/20/21 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Personally speaking, I'm going to give the Biden-Harris Administration a chance. As per usual, I'm not optimistic; but I'm also not feeling the doom & gloom I was feeling four years ago today.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 01/20/21 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Personally speaking, I'm going to give the Biden-Harris Administration a chance. As per usual, I'm not optimistic; but I'm also not feeling the doom & gloom I was feeling four years ago today.

Well the only two things that truly matter right now is ramping up or revamping vaccination availability and distribution to where it needs to be and getting as much stimulus money going out to the people as often as possible.

And I do have great confidence that an administration made up of pros with decades of experience now committed to accomplishing vaccine distribution is something that is going to contrast tremendously with what we were seeing from a Trump administration that was obsessed with the election and its aftermath. This is where Biden can quickly make the Trump administration look like the bumbling evil morons they were.

I’m dubious that the money will flow to the extent that it needs to but I’m a lot more hopeful and grateful and confident that much more money in stimulus will be coming.

PostPosted: 01/20/21 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Amanda Gorman.

That is all.

She’s fucking brilliant, and I am in awe.

"...the new dawn blooms as we free it
for there’s always light if only we’re brave enough to see it,
if only we're brave enough to be it."

PostPosted: 01/20/21 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I swear on my life and all of yours that I hadn't watched this before I made my first post here.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JAVtmVAFMYQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PostPosted: 01/20/21 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hahaha. Nor this. NY Times editor deletes her own account?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yXxceZVwTxM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PostPosted: 01/20/21 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here is Amanda Gorman’ poem, in full.

Still gives me goosebumps.

”When day comes, we ask ourselves, where can we find light in this never-ending shade?

The loss we carry. A sea we must wade.

We braved the belly of the beast.

We’ve learned that quiet isn't always peace, and the norms and notions of what “just” is isn't always justice.

And yet the dawn is ours before we knew it.

Somehow we do it.

Somehow we weathered and witnessed a nation that isn't broken, but simply unfinished.

We, the successors of a country and a time where a skinny black girl descended from slaves and raised by a single mother can dream of becoming president, only to find herself reciting for one.

And, yes, we are far from polished, far from pristine, but that doesn't mean we are striving to form a union that is perfect.

We are striving to forge our union with purpose.

To compose a country committed to all cultures, colors, characters, and conditions of man.

And so we lift our gaze, not to what stands between us, but what stands before us.

We close the divide because we know to put our future first, we must first put our differences aside.

We lay down our arms so we can reach out our arms to one another.

We seek harm to none and harmony for all.

Let the globe, if nothing else, say this is true.

That even as we grieved, we grew.

That even as we hurt, we hoped.

That even as we tired, we tried.

That we'll forever be tied together, victorious.

Not because we will never again know defeat, but because we will never again sow division.

Scripture tells us to envision that everyone shall sit under their own vine and fig tree, and no one shall make them afraid.

If we're to live up to our own time, then victory won't lie in the blade, but in all the bridges we've made.

That is the promise to glade, the hill we climb, if only we dare.

It's because being American is more than a pride we inherit.

It's the past we step into and how we repair it.

We've seen a force that would shatter our nation, rather than share it.

Would destroy our country if it meant delaying democracy.

And this effort very nearly succeeded.

But while democracy can be periodically delayed, it can never be permanently defeated.

In this truth, in this faith we trust, for while we have our eyes on the future, history has its eyes on us.

This is the era of just redemption.

We feared at its inception.

We did not feel prepared to be the heirs of such a terrifying hour.

But within it we found the power to author a new chapter, to offer hope and laughter to ourselves.

So, while once we asked, how could we possibly prevail over catastrophe, now we assert, how could catastrophe possibly prevail over us?

We will not march back to what was, but move to what shall be: a country that is bruised but whole, benevolent but bold, fierce and free.

We will not be turned around or interrupted by intimidation because we know our inaction and inertia will be the inheritance of the next generation, become the future.

Our blunders become their burdens.

But one thing is certain.

If we merge mercy with might, and might with right, then love becomes our legacy and change our children's birthright.

So let us leave behind a country better than the one we were left.

Every breath from my bronze-pounded chest, we will raise this wounded world into a wondrous one.

We will rise from the golden hills of the West.

We will rise from the windswept Northeast where our forefathers first realized revolution.

We will rise from the lake-rimmed cities of the Midwestern states.

We will rise from the sun-baked South.

We will rebuild, reconcile, and recover.

And every known nook of our nation and every corner called our country, our people diverse and beautiful, will emerge battered and beautiful.

When day comes, we step out of the shade of flame and unafraid.

The new dawn balloons as we free it.

For there is always light, if only we're brave enough to see it.

If only we're brave enough to be it.”

PostPosted: 01/20/21 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And as it was read:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LZ055ilIiN4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PostPosted: 01/20/21 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

First, I don't think any other candidate could have beat Trump......

As a fellow optimist, I must agree wholeheartedly. Cool

jammerbirdi wrote:
This is just another dark day on the road that we find ourselves on as a country in decline. This handoff of power occurring today is of a government that no longer works for the people of this country. The people know this and have known it for years and the dismal approval ratings of congress that are even lower than Trump’s clearly prove that.

Sorta. You know me and my affinity for the ideologies of Chris Hedges and David Cay Johnston (now THEY are "responsible journalists"). Whether or not we're in a decline, or just experiencing 230-year old growing pains is a matter of perspective. The entire MAGA thing is a cautionary tale on this: "Make America Great Again", as in Greater than WHAT? Like, 200 years ago, when slavery was an entrenched economic necessity? Maybe it was the period of time when an 8-year old could be made to work a 12 hour day. Or maybe 100 years ago, when scientists didn't even know what a virus was, as a pandemic raged? How about going back to the Good Ol' (Great) Days, when the Pentagon Papers lay the groundwork for a pointless war?

Precisely when was America Greater than it is now, on the very day we have successfully removed from office a crooked demagogue that sought to overturn a democratic election with an insurrection, and placed The Peoples' Choice into office? To me, THIS will rank as one of America's finest moments.

jammerbirdi wrote:
But yeah, God it is good that Donald Trump is now no longer president. That IS something to celebrate. Anyone but him, please. I don’t know if we can be said to have survived his presidency but if we are to survive it we needed to get it behind us to have any chance at all.

Absolutely. This is a golden opportunity to summon -- as Meacham says -- "Our Better Angels".

jammerbirdi wrote:
But this is who we elected president. As I say above, totally exposed as a fraud and a liar by an earlier better version of our national news media. Joe Biden should be at this moment, like Donald Trump should have been, barely remembered as a slightly comic figure relegated to the dustbin of history with the many other oddball charlatans from back in another century altogether.

TOTAL disagreement.
There is no real comparison to be made. Your video-fueled point isn't even remotely relevant. Okay.... Joe definitely lied for some perceived advantage, BUT HE LATER ADMITTED HIS LIE. That automatically separates him from 45.
And Biden has grown from his past. I don't exonerate him from all flaws and deceptions, but he IS a man that has more moral character in his pinkie than 45 has demonstrated in his entire lifetime. Putting them in the same boat is like conflating Jimmy Jones with The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

Last edited by Howee on 01/20/21 3:27 pm; edited 3 times in total
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/20/21 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Amanda Gorman.

That is all.

She’s fucking brilliant, and I am in awe.

"...the new dawn blooms as we free it
for there’s always light if only we’re brave enough to see it,
if only we're brave enough to be it."

I listened to an interview on PBS with her yesterday. They were talking about her speech problem and overcoming it. She read a small part of her poem. Inspiring!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: