RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Hammon coaching
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mercfan3

PostPosted: 06/28/21 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Seems bizarre that she's hung around in San Antonio so long, moving up the ranks of Pop's assistants, if opinions of her there are that negative.

Lmao, it’s literally an extension of what I was saying up thread. This is a FO that seems to be unable to take responsibility for their choice in Chauncey.

They got some bad PR for using Hammon’s name and responded with “well, actually we wanted her but the team that she works for and had been promoted within and who many think will be the next head coach there..yeah..they don’t think she’s that great.”

Okay Portland.

PostPosted: 06/28/21 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't imagine Popovich or anyone in the Spurs organization giving nothing but a glowing review of Hammon's coaching. This reeks of Portland panicking over their utterly awful handling of the coach search and trying to place any blame they possibly can elsewhere. The fact that it results in the most successful female coach ever in the NBA getting thrown under an imaginary bus is just gross.

pilight

PostPosted: 06/28/21 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Becky Hammon doesn’t need your pity interviews and neither do we

https://deadspin.com/becky-hammon-doesn-t-need-your-pity-interviews-and-neit-1847186278

Quote:
At this point, it would be refreshing for an NBA team to come out and say, “sorry, we’re just more comfortable hiring a problematic man than a woman.” At least that would be honest.

PostPosted: 06/28/21 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

https://deadspin.com/becky-hammon-doesn-t-need-your-pity-interviews-and-neit-1847186278

Quote:
At this point, it would be refreshing for an NBA team to come out and say, “sorry, we’re just more comfortable hiring a problematic man than a.” At least that would be honest.

Excellent piece. Thanks for posting it.

PostPosted: 06/28/21 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:
At this point, it would be refreshing for an NBA team to come out and say, “sorry, we’re just more comfortable hiring a problematic man than a woman.” At least that would be honest.

Fierce piece, I love it.

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/29/21 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Or how about saying "There are too many players, coaches and GMs who don't want to work with a woman as head coach."

(And as for the age thing, note that the biggest trolls about athletic women are young men. Older men are a little smarter and wiser, and a lot less threatened. I'm not saying that no older men are misogynists, but I definitely think a lot of younger men are.)

PostPosted: 06/29/21 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The NBA doesn't deserve her.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/29/21 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

(And as for the age thing, note that the biggest trolls about athletic women are young men. Older men are a little smarter and wiser, and a lot less threatened. I'm not saying that no older men are misogynists, but I definitely think a lot of younger men are.)

Suppose I assert the exact opposite and offer no evidence. Would either statement have any meaning?

PostPosted: 06/29/21 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Suppose I assert the exact opposite and offer no evidence. Would either statement have any meaning?

PostPosted: 06/29/21 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Or how about saying "There are too many players, coaches and GMs who don't want to work with a woman as head coach."

The older men are just less vocal about it

PostPosted: 06/29/21 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

An Open Letter About Female Coaches

Pau Gasol

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/articles/pau-gasol-becky-hammon

Quote:
I’ve been in the NBA for 17 years. I’ve won two championships … I’ve played with some of the best players of this generation … and I’ve played under two of the sharpest minds in the history of sports, in Phil Jackson and Gregg Popovich. And I’m telling you: Becky Hammon can coach. I’m not saying she can coach pretty well. I’m not saying she can coach enough to get by. I’m not saying she can coach almost at the level of the NBA’s male coaches. I’m saying: Becky Hammon can coach NBA basketball. Period.

PostPosted: 06/29/21 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, I guess all eyes are on Orlando, right?

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/29/21 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
An Open Letter About Female Coaches

Pau Gasol

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/articles/pau-gasol-becky-hammon

Quote:
I’ve been in the NBA for 17 years. I’ve won two championships … I’ve played with some of the best players of this generation … and I’ve played under two of the sharpest minds in the history of sports, in Phil Jackson and Gregg Popovich. And I’m telling you: Becky Hammon can coach. I’m not saying she can coach pretty well. I’m not saying she can coach enough to get by. I’m not saying she can coach almost at the level of the NBA’s male coaches. I’m saying: Becky Hammon can coach NBA basketball. Period.

Bravo! What a great piece in so many ways: his discussion of his mother, of Becky Hammon, and so much more. Thanks for posting this.

PostPosted: 06/30/21 9:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Precisely my point. To say old guys are more misogynistic is as meaningless as saying young guys are.

PostPosted: 06/30/21 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Precisely my point. To say old guys are more misogynistic is as meaningless as saying young guys are.

Other than, you know...my considerable experience as a woman.

Thanks for playing. Laughing

PostPosted: 06/30/21 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Other than, you know...my considerable experience as a woman.

Thanks for playing. Laughing

Of course. My experience as a man allows me to hear unfiltered opinions about women, and generally, in my experience, the older guys are, the less virulently sexist they are.

But as has been pointed out, the plural of anecdote is not data.

And on top of that, the subset of males in the NBA may not reflect the attitudes of the population of males as a whole.

PostPosted: 07/12/21 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Orlando is off the board

Two openings remain: New Orleans and Washington

PostPosted: 07/17/21 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All filled. Might Becky has struck out.

PostPosted: 07/18/21 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is anybody really surprised?

PostPosted: 07/18/21 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Only slightly surprised. It felt like this was a groundswell moment and there wasn't a ton of competition. It seemed like a team would take that leap this year. After striking out, I really think her only oath might be Pop retiring and having her take over the Spurs, which I think would be fitting but hopefully a team gives her a shot before that.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 07/18/21 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Only slightly surprised. It felt like this was a groundswell moment and there wasn't a ton of competition. It seemed like a team would take that leap this year. After striking out, I really think her only oath might be Pop retiring and having her take over the Spurs, which I think would be fitting but hopefully a team gives her a shot before that.

I feel like we should have learned in the last five years, that tons of people will be quick to stand up and say that a woman should get The Job, until said woman actually has a chance to get The Job. Then, there's suddenly endless rationalizations for why said woman, who was considered a worthy candidate for The Job, when she wasn't eligible for The Job, is magically not qualified for The Job, when she becomes eligible for The Job.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 07/18/21 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
I feel like we should have learned in the last five years, that tons of people will be quick to stand up and say that a woman should get The Job, until said woman actually has a chance to get The Job. Then, there's suddenly endless rationalizations for why said woman, who was considered a worthy candidate for The Job, when she wasn't eligible for The Job, is magically not qualified for The Job, when she becomes eligible for The Job.

Well said.

PostPosted: 07/18/21 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I love the way all the media say she'd be a great candidate....for some team they don't cover. Everybody wants somebody else to be the first to take the plunge.

PostPosted: 07/18/21 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I love the way all the media say she'd be a great candidate....for some team they don't cover. Everybody wants somebody else to be the first to take the plunge.

That's one way to look at it. Perhaps it's true. But I prefer this view: they do NOT genuinely want anyone to "take the plunge" and hire a woman as coach. They just want to pretend to be in favor of that goal.

PostPosted: 07/18/21 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
pilight wrote:

That's one way to look at it. Perhaps it's true. But I prefer this view: they do NOT genuinely want anyone to "take the plunge" and hire a woman as coach. They just want to pretend to be in favor of that goal.

I think the media just wants news of any kind, so IMO they would want her to be hired.
(From that point, some sections of the media would likely be rooting for her to fail so they could get clicks/ratings from that as well.)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: