RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Hammon coaching
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
herna220

PostPosted: 12/30/20 10:31 pm    ::: Hammon coaching Reply Reply with quote

Becky Hammon has taken over coaching duties at tonight's Spurs game vs the Lakers after Gregg Popovich got ejected.

https://apnews.com/article/nba-los-angeles-lakers-drew-eubanks-tim-duncan-becky-hammon-3dc0ebd96ac8116ebf8bf7ee58ff5841

Stormeo

PostPosted: 12/31/20 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spurs' Becky Hammon first woman to direct NBA team

Quote:
“Obviously, it’s a big deal, a substantial moment,” Hammon said. “I’ve been a part of this organization. I got traded here in 2007. So, I’ve been in San Antonio and part of the Spurs and sports organization with the Stars and everything for 14 years. I have a lot of time invested, and they have a lot of time invested in me in building me and getting me better.”

The San Antonio (Silver) Stars may physically be in Vegas now, but the spirit of that organization lives on in her & her role within the Spurs. Congratulations on yet another milestone moment, Coach.

Imo it'd be ideal for her to take over for Popovich whenever the time comes for him to move on/put away the clipboard for good. She has already earned the organization & the core players' trust. Just hope she won't have to wait too long for the right opportunity, however it presents itself.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 12/31/20 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Spurs' Becky Hammon first woman to direct NBA team

Quote:
“Obviously, it’s a big deal, a substantial moment,” Hammon said. “I’ve been a part of this organization. I got traded here in 2007. So, I’ve been in San Antonio and part of the Spurs and sports organization with the Stars and everything for 14 years. I have a lot of time invested, and they have a lot of time invested in me in building me and getting me better.”

The San Antonio (Silver) Stars may physically be in Vegas now, but the spirit of that organization lives on in her & her role within the Spurs. Congratulations on yet another milestone moment, Coach.

Imo it'd be ideal for her to take over for Popovich whenever the time comes for him to move on/put away the clipboard for good. She has already earned the organization & the core players' trust. Just hope she won't have to wait too long for the right opportunity, however it presents itself.

It's really remarkable how she's rising to basically the second in command on the coaching staff. She's legit. I hope she's able to wait and succeed Pop as that would be the best possible head coach position for her.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 12/31/20 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It would be so wonderful if Becky Hammon could become the next head coach of the San Antonio Spurs.

PostPosted: 04/30/21 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Becky Hammon Says That She's 'Ready' to Become the Head Coach of an NBA Team: 'Take a Chance'

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/becky-hammon-says-shes-ready-181018402.html

Quote:
"People don't like doing something new and different. It's uncomfortable. It takes massive amount of risk," she added. "Somebody's going to have to take a chance."

Stormeo

PostPosted: 06/12/21 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Per The Athletic, Becky Hammon is currently a candidate for the open Portland Blazers HC job as well as the open Orlando Magic HC job.

Interestingly enough, Dawn Staley was named as another candidate for the Blazers HC job.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 06/12/21 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Isn't she also in the mix for Indiana?

I would love to see this happen. Orlando is my NBA team, but I don't want to see her saddled with that sinking ship.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 06/12/21 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:

I would love to see this happen. Orlando is my NBA team, but I don't want to see her saddled with that sinking ship.

Strong disagree: Orlando is the only open coaching job that Hammon should consider taking. Because Orlando is the only coaching job that's desperate enough to give her multiple years to figure it out. Indiana is a bad team, that thinks it ought to be a playoff team, and Portland is a mediocre team, that thinks it ought to be a title contender. Neither of those organizations are going to give any coach they hire any kind of latitude, especially not an "unproven" one (don't @ me about "unproven," you know what I mean).

Orlando, by comparison, is a rebuilding team, that doesn't have the burden of expectations that the other jobs have, and is more likely to give somebody who's never held a head coaching job time to grow with the team.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
ClayK

PostPosted: 06/13/21 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

Strong disagree: Orlando is the only open coaching job that Hammon should consider taking. Because Orlando is the only coaching job that's desperate enough to give her multiple years to figure it out. Indiana is a bad team, that thinks it ought to be a playoff team, and Portland is a mediocre team, that thinks it ought to be a title contender. Neither of those organizations are going to give any coach they hire any kind of latitude, especially not an "unproven" one (don't @ me about "unproven," you know what I mean).

Orlando, by comparison, is a rebuilding team, that doesn't have the burden of expectations that the other jobs have, and is more likely to give somebody who's never held a head coaching job time to grow with the team.

X________________________

PostPosted: 06/13/21 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Man, she disappeared as a possible candidate from the Boston Celtics list pretty fast, no?
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 06/13/21 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

I hear what your saying but I don't think any coach in today's NBA is given multiple years to figure it out and turn the sinking ship around there's a reason these vacancies are open and she's going to be jumping into a hot seat no matter where she goes.

Orlando's been in perpetual rebuild since 2012 and had a few blips of mediocre 8 seed appearances. The coaching carousel there since SVG left, no one has lasted more than 3 years, most only 2. If she takes that job, she will be given 2 years, be sabotaged by a mess of an organization that is not competitive for free agents and be considered a head coaching failure in 2 years. I say that as a fan of the team, I'd love for Oraldno to be the team to make history but I don't wish that team or organization on her.

She's only going to get 2 years to show her stuff wherever she goes, I think she benefits from a team with a decent core and free agency potential more than a team that just sold off any decent player they had and couldn't attract a starter quality free agent even if they made them the highest paid player in the league.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 06/13/21 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
I hear what your saying but I don't think any coach in today's NBA is given multiple years to figure it out and turn the sinking ship around there's a reason these vacancies are open and she's going to be jumping into a hot seat no matter where she goes...

... She's only going to get 2 years to show her stuff wherever she goes, I think she benefits from a team with a decent core and free agency potential more than a team that just sold off any decent player they had and couldn't attract a starter quality free agent even if they made them the highest paid player in the league.

Respectfully, you're wrong. While I will stipulate that she's probably not going to get more than 2-3 years, anywhere, she's going to get a lot less rope with a team where the Governor/General Manager thinks they ought to be good. At least if she goes to a shitty team, and they're still bad in three years, prospective future employers are not going to hold that against her coaching. If she goes to Portland, and they don't get to the conference finals, it's going to be considered an indictment of her coaching, in a way that coaching a lottery team won't.

Queenie

PostPosted: 06/13/21 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And let's be real here: any failure on her part is going to be held as a failure on the very concept of female head coaches.

(now with spelling variations)
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 06/13/21 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
I hear what your saying but I don't think any coach in today's NBA is given multiple years to figure it out and turn the sinking ship around there's a reason these vacancies are open and she's going to be jumping into a hot seat no matter where she goes...

... She's only going to get 2 years to show her stuff wherever she goes, I think she benefits from a team with a decent core and free agency potential more than a team that just sold off any decent player they had and couldn't attract a starter quality free agent even if they made them the highest paid player in the league.

Respectfully, you're wrong. While I will stipulate that she's probably not going to get more than 2-3 years, anywhere, she's going to get a lot less rope with a team where the Governor/General Manager thinks they ought to be good. At least if she goes to a shitty team, and they're still bad in three years, prospective future employers are not going to hold that against her coaching. If she goes to Portland, and they don't get to the conference finals, it's going to be considered an indictment of her coaching, in a way that coaching a lottery team won't.

I think where I disagree is she's not getting rope anywhere, so why take the worst team. Orlando is not going to be any more patient with her and her reputation as a coach won't be any better for it.

What could possibly be achieved in Orlando for her? Just missing the playoffs for 3 years and being canned after this current rebuild goes nowhere isn't going to make her an attractive option anywhere else. The Magic are entering the tanking portion of their rebuild, not the actual rebuild part yet.

What if she takes over Portland and they do better? High risk, high reward but scared money don't make money. Nothing good will come from going to Orlando other than proving she can hold the position. She'd be better off coaching a G League team than Orlando because that's basically what that franchise is at this point.

Queenie is right. I feel like she may only ever get one chance and I'd like that chance to be with the highest potential possible, not with a team with a shit ownership that is headed in the tanking direction. That being said, I'd be shocked if the Magic seriously considered her as their ownership is vile.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 06/13/21 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
I think where I disagree is she's not getting rope anywhere, so why take the worst team. Orlando is not going to be any more patient with her and her reputation as a coach won't be any better for it.

They will, though. Because they're desperate. Any good coach is going to want power, in exchange for taking the job. I also think that Orlando is further ahead in their rebuild that you do: I think that they think that they have their cornerstone point guard, in Fultz. I think that they think that they have their cornerstone bigs, in Isaac and Carter, Jr. And, with those guys, (likely) two lottery picks, they could be looking for a young coach, that can grow with the team.

shontay33

PostPosted: 06/13/21 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

They will, though. Because they're desperate. Any good coach is going to want power, in exchange for taking the job. I also think that Orlando is further ahead in their rebuild that you do: I think that they think that they have their cornerstone point guard, in Fultz. I think that they think that they have their cornerstone bigs, in Isaac and Carter, Jr. And, with those guys, (likely) two lottery picks, they could be looking for a young coach, that can grow with the team.

I agree. Portland and Indiana have veterans so they are looking to win now. Becky would be great in Orlando because they are a team with young players who still have to learn the NBA.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 06/13/21 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would love to see Orlando make history. I just do not agree with your assessment at all. I don't think Hammon has a negotiation position that you do. I also think a slew of male candidates would jump at taking the job. I don't see how Orlando, who just fired their coach with the most success in 10 years is "desperate" for a good coach. I don't see how a team that just traded Gordon, Vucevic and Fournier after making the playoffs in 18 and 19 is somehow further along in tanking when they just began tanking. I mean, god speed of she takes that job.

pilight

PostPosted: 06/13/21 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is zero chance that Portland will hire Hammon or Staley

In Orlando she wouldn't have to win big to be seen as successful. Frank Vogel got canned after two terrible seasons there then got hired by the Lakers and won a championship.

PostPosted: 06/14/21 12:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
There is zero chance that Portland will hire Hammon or Staley

In Orlando she wouldn't have to win big to be seen as successful. Frank Vogel got canned after two terrible seasons there then got hired by the Lakers and won a championship.

Vogel was successful at his first coaching job with the Indiana Pacers. Adding to your point, Luke Walton was hired by the Kings after being fired from the Lakers, Steve Clifford was hired by the Magic after being fired by the Hornets, etc.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 06/14/21 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
And let's be real here: any failure on her part is going to be held as a failure on the very concept of female head coaches.

Yup..and the irony..

NBA Fans: WoMEn DoNT KnOW BasKETBaLl

NBA Player: They do though, we learn a lot from them.

NBA Media: Players wouldn't listen to a woman. So small. So weak.

NBA Players: Um..we've listened to her before. That old man you want to hire is also small and weak.

NBA GMs: I just don't think it'll work out with a woman..

NBA Players: Becky >>>>> Old white dude....

Seriously though, the NBA players have outspokenly created a community with their female counterparts. It's a silly discussion - but people will use any failure of Becky's as an excuse to not hire a woman.

Meanwhile, I doubt any male coach with Hammon's credentials would struggle to find a Head Coaching job, but GM's will simply recycle like..D'Antoni

Disagree about Orlando though, I agree with Geno's assessment..two types of coaches..Coaches that coach great players, and ex coaches.

Personally, I'd like to see her on the Celtics. Tatum and Brown already have experience with her too.

PostPosted: 06/15/21 5:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/billboard-asking-celtics-to-hire-becky-hammon-or-kara-lawson-goes-up-in-boston/

Billboard asking Celtics to hire Becky Hammon or Kara Lawson goes up in Boston

Interesting that the article mentions neither of them were on the short list of candidates (although the abhorrent use of double negatives makes it a bit unclear). I wonder who is paying for this billboard.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 06/15/21 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/billboard-asking-celtics-to-hire-becky-hammon-or-kara-lawson-goes-up-in-boston/

Interesting that the article mentions neither of them were on the short list of candidates (although the abhorrent use of double negatives makes it a bit unclear). I wonder who is paying for this billboard.

Lawson isn't in Hammon's ballpark in terms of qualifications. It's ludicrous to consider them in the same breath (or on the same billboard, I suppose).

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/15/21 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

Lawson isn't in Hammon's ballpark in terms of qualifications. It's ludicrous to consider them in the same breath (or on the same billboard, I suppose).

Guys get hired for having been good players who were viewed as smart when they played, and/or for sounding intelligent when they work as analysts on TV. So it wouldn't seem particularly unreasonable for a woman to be hired on those grounds. Very unlikely, but not unreasonable.

PostPosted: 06/15/21 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I saw a headline via Google News that said the Celtics are gearing their search towards hiring a black candidate. I guess that would explain how Hammon's name came and went so fast as a possible hire.
bcdawg04

PostPosted: 06/15/21 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

As it is with all trailblazing minorities.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: