RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

VACCINATION NATION
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will You Be Getting the Coronavirus Vaccine?
Yes
40%
 40%  [ 6 ]
Hell to the Yeah
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Throw a dart and aim for my ass, yes
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Use a blowgun and hit me in the neck as I drive by the ER
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
No, personal health reasons
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
No, I don't trust/believe in it.
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 15

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/16/21 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Although, based on reading many studies, I'm quite skeptical about the holistic efficacy of lockdowns and somewhat skeptical about the efficacy of masks (though I don't mind wearing one), I'm always very glad to hear about folks getting vaccinated. Because I'm convinced that a high vaccination percentage is the only way that we can sufficiently rid society of all aspects this epidemic -- the real, the imagined, the hyperbolic, the false, and the feared unknown.

Before vaccination, though cautious as I am about many things in my mid-70's, I never had any significant fear of Covid. I assumed I wouldn't get it or, if I did, I could shake it off even at my age. I believe it's scientifically irrational for any reasonably healthy person under age 45 to be any more afraid of death from Covid than something like the flu or an auto accident -- but that's not the prevailing zeitgeist. So, hoorah for medically and psychologically salvific vaccines.

I was cautious last March, April and May, but after that I went to doctor's visits, the dentist, auto repair shops, retail stores, occasional restaurants, grocery stores of course, and had a hospital surgery. Whatever was open, which sometimes wasn't very much, in the People's Republic of Nutmeg.

Although I disagree with most of Gov. Lamont's politics, I agree with Mercfan that he has done a very good and generally apoltical job with Covid vaccination protocols, especially his use of age priority.

Here's a just published study out of UC Berkely re age priority, the title of which says it all:

Vaccinating the oldest against COVID-19 saves both the most lives and most years of life

Quote:
The age patterns of COVID-19 mortality are such that vaccinating the oldest first saves the most lives and, surprisingly, also maximizes years of remaining life expectancy. We demonstrate this relationship empirically in the United States, Germany, and South Korea and with mathematical analysis of life tables.
mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/16/21 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
insidewinder wrote:
One and done is pretty sweet. I was given the Pfizer. I tend to get vaccine reactions so I was unsurprised to end up with a sore arm and feeling a little off about 12 hours after the shot. Just sore arm now. If I had been offered J&J I would have taken it, but Pfizer was totally fine too.

I was hoping for the JJ but I thought I saw on my appointment that I would be getting the Pfizer. So I was geared up for that and in my head planning on how that would impact the immediate future. But wanting the J&J. So when the nurse said you’re getting the J&J of course naturally now I’m instantly apprehensive. But I’m happy that I will be fully inoculated in just a couple of weeks.

Yeah, I have to admit I feel a little weird. No pain in the arm but just a little bit off. Not quite lightheaded but I feel like I could get there. Probably just need to eat.

I actually read that the vaccine can cause your blood pressure to drop - something I'm prone too. (I have this blood/needle phobia thing..that's not really a phobia but causes your blood pressure to drop)..and I felt a little funny for ten minutes, but then recovered. I kind of recognized the feeling and knew what was going on, but didn't know the vaccine can actually cause it too. I found a mint helped.

Yeah that’s exactly what it feels/felt like. The instant the vaccine went in I felt it. I take shots like they’re nothing usually so something definitely went down in my body as soon as I got the shot. Blood pressure sounds about right. I’m not feeling that anymore. Just more lethargic. Which is to say, pretty normal for me. Wink.

Of course, you’ll all be receiving regular updates every ten minutes as you get the jammerchondriac through this difficult time. Wink Someone bring me some juice.

I feel like it’s just our bodies going “are we gonna talk about what the fuck just happened, or..”

Glad we agree Glenn. Lamont followed the science - which shouldn’t be political. When new and better science came out, he adjusted. And he made sure to put the systems in place for it to be effective. Hearing about the shit shows elsewhere (and actually experiencing it because I was vaccinated in Mass) makes me thankful.

PostPosted: 03/16/21 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow. Can’t wait to read that. Right now just basking in the glow of being a citizen of Vaccination Nation.

As I said, probably still on average of about a hundred people dying a day in LA County. Who are they in terms of a medical demographic? I’m not sure if someone here provided that data but I’m going to continue to believe that the vast majority of those who are STILL dying... are older... and I would also like to know, as best as we can, how many who died this week would have been vaccinated back in January providing they’d lived their lives in some other universe wherein risk of death was the only criteria for vaccination eligibility.

Because those people are GONE from this universe now. Gone forever. Could their lives have been saved? If we don’t ask this question and demand hard answers in the state of California then we are a disgraceful species.

PostPosted: 03/17/21 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay I tweeted earlier today that I can’t with a straight face say that I’m having any side effects.

But then I got on the treadmill. For about three minutes. Very fatigued.

Now I’m fully feeling viral, not horribly so, it’s not really even on my mind, but it’s there. Abnormal fatigue and also this occasional slight body swoon like I could get nauseous, but don’t. So far. I’m actually happy to be feeling these side effects because not having any would be kinda scary. Definitely want the full effect from my jab.

PostPosted: 03/17/21 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Okay I tweeted earlier today that I can’t with a straight face say that I’m having any side effects.

But then I got on the treadmill. For about three minutes. Very fatigued.

Now I’m fully feeling viral, not horribly so, it’s not really even on my mind, but it’s there. Abnormal fatigue and also this occasional slight body swoon like I could get nauseous, but don’t. So far. I’m actually happy to be feeling these side effects because not having any would be kinda scary. Definitely want the full effect from my jab.

I was happy to have some side effects too, and I am hoping I feel like garbage for a day after my second shot, so I know my immune system is mad and getting after it.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 03/17/21 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Exactly! Cool

PostPosted: 03/20/21 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now that J&J has released, the appointments seem plentiful in NYC. I was able to get a next day appointment in Manhattan last week and had shot #1 of Pfizer. Arm was slightly sore and I just felt off for the rest of the day/night but otherwise have been fully functional.

The efficiency of how they are getting people in and out was really impressive. I put the car in the garage, told the attendant I should be back in an hour, and ended up back in 25 minutes. And that was after sitting the mandatory 15 minutes to make sure I didn't have a serious reaction. They probably vaccinated 50 people in that 25 minutes in my location but I never had to get within 10 feet of anyone else (except the nurse who jabbed me) and the tents were setup outside with lots of air flow and space.

PostPosted: 03/23/21 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I got my second shot (Pfizer) this morning at a drive-through site staffed by the National Guard. The whole thing took <10 minutes (except I had to sit and be watched for half an hour afterwards due to my allergy history) and I've got a headache now but am otherwise feeling OK. ETA: I spoke too soon. I had a miserable night last night with a bad headache, stomach cramps, and joint pain. Feeling better this morning except my arm is pretty sore.

Yesterday NH opened up the vaccine program to anyone 50 years or older. The phone scheduling center was overwhelmed for the first few hours but they managed to register 100,000 people for the vaccine by the end of the day. They're expecting to register another 100,000 by tomorrow. That's a lot of people in a small state (>15%).

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/26/21 8:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rutgers to require vaccine for fall admission to on-campus classes.

https://www.wane.com/news/national-world/rutgers-university-will-require-students-to-get-covid-19-vaccine-before-returning-to-campus/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.

Last edited by Ex-Ref on 03/26/21 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/26/21 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NH is opening up vaccination to all people 16 y.o. and up (who want vaxes) this week and expects to have vaccinated the entire state by late May. The Gov has been on the phone with the various pharma CEO's to source supplies.

tfan

PostPosted: 04/03/21 3:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Over 100 million people in the US have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine

Quote:

* More than 100 million people in the US have received at least one COVID-19 vaccine dose.

* The CDC said those doses cover over 30% of the US population.

* More than 56 million people in the US have been fully vaccinated.

gpark33

PostPosted: 04/05/21 7:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My wife got Pfizer shot #2 on Friday and has been in bed with a fever, headache, and fatigue since going to bed Friday night. She's feeling better this morning so I think this is right in line with lots of reports of people with autoimmune issues.

I get #2 Wednesday and have two beasts of work days on Thursday and Friday so hoping for the best!

PostPosted: 04/05/21 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I got Pfizer shot #2 about 5 hours ago. So far I feel mostly ok, slight headache, a bit fuzzy brained, and I have a strange taste and smell kinda feeling. My arm doesn't hurt, which is weird for me. My arm usually hurts when I get vaccinated. Maybe this is it, or maybe I will feel it more later.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 04/05/21 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My arm didn't really hurt at the injection site right away, but about a week later I started to develop lymphadenopathy (tender, enlarged lymph nodes) in my arm from the elbow to upper arm. Lymphadenopathy post-vaccination has also been reported in the armpit and neck. It should resolve in a month or less. The biggest problem is that enlarged nodes in the armpit can sometimes be visualized on mammograms and breast ultrasounds so that women undergoing a routine mammo or U/S can get a cancer scare, as well as similar situations with other X-ray studies. The relevant radiology organizations have established protocols for monitoring or retesting to help minimize unnecessary tests and stress.

The good news is that the vaccine did a good job of stimulating my immune system.

insidewinder

PostPosted: 04/05/21 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, now my arm is sore, just took a while. Mildly achy too and a slight headache all day. Nothing enough to throw me off my usual activities, so far anyway. I am talking to my cells, telling them to get on the stick, make some good antibodies. Go B cells! Go T cells! No lazy lymphocytes in this body!!!

Edited to add that overnight had a fever, worse headache, muscle aches, and all that fun stuff, still do, so yea!!!! I wanted evidence my immune system was firing and boy did I get it.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 04/06/21 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Got my Pfizer #1 today! Upper arm is quite sore, and a bit of soreness is creeping into my neck. I was already exhausted before the shot, so I can't gauge if it made me more tired really.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 04/07/21 7:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Got my second one two days ago. I didn't feel too sick, and my arm was a little sore..but I slept about 20 hours straight.

So as someone who has had Insomnia, I'd like to get another one. Laughing

PostPosted: 04/09/21 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This article raises the possibility that there are not sufficient people over 18 who want the vaccine for the USA to reach "herd immunity". But it sounds like children will eventually be vaccinated.

America may be close to hitting a vaccine wall

Quote:
There are growing signs that parts of the country may be close to meeting demand for the coronavirus vaccine — well before the U.S. has reached herd immunity.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 04/09/21 11:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The problem is that all those unvaccinated people are just places for the virus to mutate into strains that aren't susceptible to the vaccines.

insidewinder

PostPosted: 04/10/21 12:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fools will kill us all.

By the way I finally found out why I was eligible on March 15, when really I should have become eligible only with the recent CA change to 50+. It was my zip code. City of San Francisco was allowed by the state to expand vaccination categories in certain neighborhoods that were harder hit by virus (well, as hard as it did hit here, which thus far has been not very). Did my zip code save my life? I will never know...

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 04/27/21 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So nobody has had any lingering health issues come up since receiving the vaccine?

PostPosted: 04/27/21 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Got my Pfizer #1 today! Upper arm is quite sore, and a bit of soreness is creeping into my neck. I was already exhausted before the shot, so I can't gauge if it made me more tired really.

Shot #2 went in the arm a few hours ago. Keep me in your thoughts tomorrow, y'all, if you would. Embarassed

Last edited by undersized_post on 04/27/21 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/27/21 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
So nobody has had any lingering health issues come up since receiving the vaccine?

I really didn't have any from the first shot. Second one, my arm was sore for a couple of hours is all. I consider myself very lucky.

Now with the shingles vaccine...I had every damn side-effect the paper said I might!!!!!! For two days!! Evil or Very Mad

(Did you know that if you get your fingers on the wrong keys and try to type "for" it will come out "die?" Laughing )

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 04/27/21 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's been about a month and I still have some swollen lymph nodes in my arm. They’re no longer sore and they're getting smaller, and this is a really non-problem. However, there are numerous reports now of women having swollen nodes in their armpit, coincidentally having their annual mammogram, and the nodes being spotted and triggering a cancer scare and more testing. The radiology organizations are now aware of this issue, but I rescheduled my mammogram from last week to June.

gpark33

PostPosted: 04/28/21 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:

All good for me, no issues since the day after the shot when the headache went away.

My wife thinks she's having lingering fatigue but she also has Hashimoto's and that's a typical symptom so she'd not sure if she's projecting onto the vaccine.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: