RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

VACCINATION NATION
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will You Be Getting the Coronavirus Vaccine?
Yes
40%
 40%  [ 6 ]
Hell to the Yeah
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Throw a dart and aim for my ass, yes
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Use a blowgun and hit me in the neck as I drive by the ER
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
No, personal health reasons
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
No, I don't trust/believe in it.
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 15

pilight

PostPosted: 05/13/21 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CDC ends mask requirements for vaccinated people

https://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/report-cdc-dropping-recommendations-on-indoor-masks/K7CZVOTZHBHAFMZICKPKCWDDXU/

Quote:
“Anyone who is fully vaccinated can participate in indoor and outdoor activities – large or small — without wearing a mask or physically distancing,” Walensky said. “If you are fully vaccinated, you can start doing the things that you had stopped doing because of the pandemic.”

PostPosted: 05/13/21 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Of course, then we're trusting that non-vaccinated people won't take advantage and wander around without masks. Or forge vaccination cards.

(now with spelling variations)
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 05/13/21 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Then one’s mind has to wander around the possibility that… well… you know.

I’m not even going to say it.

PostPosted: 05/13/21 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Of course, then we're trusting that non-vaccinated people won't take advantage and wander around without masks. Or forge vaccination cards.

If the vaccine works, vaccinated people will have little to fear from that

PostPosted: 05/13/21 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Queenie wrote:

If the vaccine works, vaccinated people will have little to fear from that

Hold on a minute.

Quote:
Bill Maher tested positive “during weekly staff PCR testing for COVID,” the show’s Twitter manager wrote. “He is fully vaccinated and as a result is asymptomatic and feels fine.”

https://www.wane.com/community/health/coronavirus/fully-vaccinated-bill-maher-tests-positive-for-covid-19/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Queenie

PostPosted: 05/13/21 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, it's running like wildfire through the Yankees right now apparently? Even though they've supposedly had all their shots. So yeah, nah. I will be keeping my mask on because I do not want to get even mild COVID and I do not want to inadvertently give other people even mild COVID, because while there are a lot of nasty things you can feel free to say about me, I'm not *that* kind of asshole.

(now with spelling variations)
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 05/13/21 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Yeah, it's running like wildfire through the Yankees right now apparently? Even though they've supposedly had all their shots. So yeah, nah. I will be keeping my mask on because I do not want to get even mild COVID and I do not want to inadvertently give other people even mild COVID, because while there are a lot of nasty things you can feel free to say about me, I'm not *that* kind of asshole.

Yeah, I'm keeping my mask on too.

I'm a little worried by the CDC recommendation. Too many people will say that they've been vaccinated when you know damn good and well they haven't been anywhere NEAR a needle!! I went to the grocery store last night. It took me forever because I would start down an aisle and someone would come from the other end that wasn't wearing a mask. I would turn around just to avoid them. They really need to make the aisles one way!!

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 05/14/21 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does undermine the confidence.

PostPosted: 05/14/21 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So everybody is all about following the science and listening to the CDC until it leads somewhere you don't like

PostPosted: 05/14/21 7:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
So everybody is all about following the science and listening to the CDC until it leads somewhere you don't like

I didn’t run on that. Wink.

But seriously, if your confidence in the officials who are determining public policy around covid guidelines et al hasn’t been taking hits this past few months, you’d have to not be paying attention.

I mean, just take this latest announcement about masks. Probably while the CDC was meeting to decide on this latest relaxation on the issue of masks, the New York Times was polling epidemiologists. This is all in the last two weeks but the article was published just today. Overwhelmingly, those epidemiologists had a different perspective on mask wearing than the one just established as public policy for the citizens of this country. Let me grab some of that piece. But after reading this… I think you can see that this latest decision doesn’t exactly reflect a consensus in the epidemiological community.

Hundreds of Epidemiologists Expected Mask-Wearing in Public for at Least a Year

The C.D.C. said Thursday that vaccinated Americans no longer needed masks in most places. Other disease experts recently had a different message: that masks were necessary in public.

By Claire Cain Miller, Kevin Quealy and Margot Sanger-Katz

When federal health officials said on Thursday that fully vaccinated Americans no longer needed to wear masks in most places, it came as a surprise to many people in public health. It also was a stark contrast with the views of a large majority of epidemiologists surveyed in the last two weeks by The New York Times.

In the informal survey, 80 percent said they thought Americans would need to wear masks in public indoor places for at least another year. Just 5 percent said people would no longer need to wear masks indoors by this summer.

In large crowds outdoors, like at a concert or protest, 88 percent of the epidemiologists said it was necessary even for fully vaccinated people to wear masks.

The responses came from 723 epidemiologists, submitted between April 28 and May 10, before the new guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The survey asked epidemiologists about being outdoors in groups of various sizes, and about being indoors with people whose vaccination status was unknown. The situations were consistent with the new guidance, which governs behavior in public places, regardless of size, where it is impossible to know the vaccine status of others.

Federal health officials have already said that vaccinated people can be indoors with other vaccinated people, and epidemiologists mostly agreed. But the C.D.C.’s new guidance said masks were no longer necessary for fully vaccinated people regardless of the size of the gathering and whether it was indoors or outside, except in certain situations, like in a doctor’s office or on public transit.

Epidemiologists are, on the whole, very cautious when it comes to Covid-19, by nature of their training in understanding risk and preventing the spread of infectious disease. Nearly three-quarters described themselves as risk-averse, and they are likely to have been able to work from home over the past year, unlike many Americans. But they also have the same training as many of the scientists at the C.D.C. who devised the new policy, and about one-third of the survey respondents work in government, mostly at the state level.

Others acknowledged that policy decisions are based on many goals, such as invigorating the economy and incentivizing people to get vaccinated.

Yet most said mask-wearing continued to be necessary for now, because the number of vaccinated Americans had not yet reached a level that scientists consider necessary to significantly slow the spread of the virus. Until then, there are too many chances for vaccines, which are not 100 percent effective, to fail, they said.

“Crowded circumstances, indoors or outdoors, necessitate a mask until community levels of Covid are much lower,” said Luther-King Fasehun, a doctor and an epidemiology Ph.D. student at Temple University.

Sally Picciotto, an epidemiologist at the University of California, Berkeley, said the decision to stop wearing masks indoors “depends on more people rolling up their sleeves to get the shot.”

Respondents also said that as long as the virus was still spreading, masks were important to protect high-risk people and those who cannot be vaccinated, like children or people who have underlying health conditions.

“Until community transmission is lower, it protects the whole community and the other people in the room to wear masks,” including children, immunosuppressed people and Black and Latino communities who have been hit harder by Covid-19, said Julia Raifman, an assistant professor of public health at Boston University.

One-quarter of the epidemiologists in the survey said they thought people would need to continue wearing masks in certain settings indefinitely, and some said they planned to continue to wear them in places like airplanes or concert halls, or during the winter virus season.

“Heck, I may wear a mask for every flu season now,” said Allison Stewart, the lead epidemiologist at the Williamson County and Cities Health District in Texas. “Sure has been nice not to be sick for over a year.”

Alana Cilwick, an epidemiologist at the Colorado Department of Public Health, said, “I plan to wear a mask indoors for the foreseeable future given the amount of vaccine hesitancy we are seeing, especially in higher-risk settings like the gym or on an airplane.”

Just one-fifth of epidemiologists said it was safe for fully vaccinated people to socialize indoors without masks in a group of unlimited size. A majority said indoor gatherings should be limited to five or fewer households.

Even outside, where the coronavirus is much less likely to spread, nearly all the epidemiologists said it was necessary to keep wearing masks in crowds, when people are near others whose vaccination status they don’t know.

“Masks are the second-most helpful prevention strategy we have to vaccines,” Professor Raifman said.

PostPosted: 05/14/21 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

It isn't the science or CDC that has me irritated. It is all of the uncaring assholes out there that won't wear a mask and have not been vaccinated that worry me.

It does piss me off that the CDC said that it's OK for people that have been vaccinated to not wear a mask when there is no way to know the vaccination status of anyone. Seems a little short-sighted on their part, but I get where they are coming from.

Now, if they could figure out a way for everyone to know who is vaccinated and who isn't, than maybe I'd ditch the mask.

gpark33

PostPosted: 05/14/21 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I started riding the subway again this week from Brooklyn to Manhattan and found that NYC has free single shot vaccination stations setup in various subway terminals. Anyone who takes the jab gets a free 7-day subway pass. Regardless of the mask mandate I'm happy to see the city incentivizing people who are in high traffic areas like the subway to get vaccinated.

PostPosted: 05/14/21 11:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gpark33 wrote:
I started riding the subway again this week from Brooklyn to Manhattan and found that NYC has free single shot vaccination stations setup in various subway terminals. Anyone who takes the jab gets a free 7-day subway pass. Regardless of the mask mandate I'm happy to see the city incentivizing people who are in high traffic areas like the subway to get vaccinated.

Unrelated question: does anyone know how many vaccinations - each spaced approx 1 week apart - it is safe to receive?

PostPosted: 05/15/21 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

Unrelated question: does anyone know how many vaccinations - each spaced approx 1 week apart - it is safe to receive?

LOL, no. But if I start seeing extra limbs or heads on people riding the subway in coming months, I'll definitely report back!

PostPosted: 05/15/21 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've read several opinion pieces this week saying that the administration/CDC made the decision to eliminate mask usage for vaccinated people specifically to encourage the non-vaccinated to get off their butts and get a shot in the arm. Personally, I think they're giving the holdouts way too much credit for honesty and responsibility, but I also think there's universal agreement that we need to get our vaccine numbers up asap.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 05/15/21 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd say give $100 to every non-vaccinated adult who decides to get vaccinated in the next 6 weeks. I don't care who gets the money. I don't care if it's not fair to those who already got the shot. We just need more shots in arms.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/15/21 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
I'd say give $100 to every non-vaccinated adult who decides to get vaccinated in the next 6 weeks. I don't care who gets the money. I don't care if it's not fair to those who already got the shot. We just need more shots in arms.

I like this idea. Primary goal has to be attaining herd immunity level of vaccination.

Unrelated question: does anyone know how many vaccinations - each spaced approx 1 day apart - it is safe to receive?

PostPosted: 05/16/21 1:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:

How about this idea?
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/12/us/ohio-lottery-coronavirus-vaccine.html

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 05/16/21 8:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:

Various places are already paying people to get vaccinated with gift cards, food, lottery tickets, raffle tickets on things like cars, and I don't know what all. In some places, it seems like merchants are competing to see who can give away more stuff to get free publicity.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 05/16/21 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

I like this idea. Primary goal has to be attaining herd immunity level of vaccination.

I do too, I'm just not sure that $100 will move many people. Give $1,000 to everyone that is already vaccinated (they should get something for going first*) and give $500 to those that get vaccinated this month. Then the payment will be $250 for June and $100 for July. Give them an incentive to get it done now rather than later. Then maybe the next time something is ask of them they will step up earlier. Sad that so many people need to be bribed to do the right thing. And TBH, I'm not sure that $500 will move many people.

*This will get money to a lot of older people that need it. People that don't have children and didn't get that extra money in the stimulus payments but have the same fixed bills to pay, such as utilities, rent/mortgage, transportation, insurance, etc.

Howee

PostPosted: 05/16/21 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
I'd say give $100 to every non-vaccinated adult who decides to get vaccinated in the next 6 weeks....

Unrelated question: does anyone know how many vaccinations - each spaced approx 1 day apart - it is safe to receive?

Hmmm. First the free transportation. Now, $100 bills. Luuuc, are you turning into a Welfare Queen on us....?? Shocked

Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 06/24/21 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nearly all COVID deaths in US are now among unvaccinated

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-health-941fcf43d9731c76c16e7354f5d5e187

Quote:
An Associated Press analysis of available government data from May shows that “breakthrough” infections in fully vaccinated people accounted for fewer than 1,200 of more than 853,000 COVID-19 hospitalizations. That’s about 0.1%.

And only about 150 of the more than 18,000 COVID-19 deaths in May were in fully vaccinated people. That translates to about 0.8%, or five deaths per day on average.

PostPosted: 06/25/21 12:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Only 45% of the US population were fully vaccinated as of Fauci's press conference earlier this week. He emphasized again the risks that the Delta variant imposes on an unvaccinated population.

And in other COVID news, an NIH study was released earlier this week involving testing blood samples obtained between April and August 2020. Based on the positive tests, done on people who had no or mild symptoms, they estimated the total US case count to be off by a factor of 4.8, and that as of July, the US had seen 17M cases instead of the 3M that had been diagnosed at that time.

https://stm.sciencemag.org/content/early/2021/06/21/scitranslmed.abh3826/tab-pdf

Howee

PostPosted: 06/25/21 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
they estimated the total US case count to be off by a factor of 4.8, and that as of July, the US had seen 17M cases instead of the 3M that had been diagnosed at that time.

One anecdote in support of that: I have a 40-something friend with real co-morbidities. Last spring, he told me that he was the sickest he'd ever been in his whole life....and he's endured open-heart surgery. This happened to him in January of 2020. Now (well before he got the vaccine) his doctor confirmed with him that he had the Covid antibodies in him, indicating that's what he experienced. January of 2020 preceded any quarantining, etc. How many other cases like his are there?

Last edited by Howee on 06/25/21 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
DivaORcat16

PostPosted: 06/25/21 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I posted about this NIH study in April on the Coronavirus Pandemic thread. I participated in this study last year around May or June. It didn't cover just people who had no symptoms or mild symptoms, the questions also covered anyone who had an undiagnosed illness since January 2020. I was EXTREMELY sick in January and February 2020. I have co-morbidities.

I'm in Southern Oregon. I know people all over the West Coast that were sick late November 2019 through February 2020. Our local obituaries were abnormally long with the elderly in December 2019. Anyone local you talk to who had kids in school at that same time said the schools were wiped out with illness.

My Son was on a military base in Southern California (discharged now) and came up mid-January 2020, he had a constant cough. He was on the NTC base and they have National Guard come in from all over the country to train. He said there was illness going around the base then.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Page 14 of 14

Jump to: