RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

VACCINATION NATION
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will You Be Getting the Coronavirus Vaccine?
Yes
40%
 40%  [ 6 ]
Hell to the Yeah
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Throw a dart and aim for my ass, yes
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Use a blowgun and hit me in the neck as I drive by the ER
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
No, personal health reasons
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
No, I don't trust/believe in it.
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 15

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 12/31/20 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From a doctor, don’t take anything for the pain or discomfort at the site of injection.

PostPosted: 12/31/20 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If I only get a bruised arm, I will be very happy indeed. My bigger concern is that we have no idea how long any of these vaccines will remain effective. I'd hate to find out in Sept that the healthcare people who got the vax this month are no longer immune.

One of my good friends is an older, immuno-compromised nurse at a large hospital in LA. Her description of their situation sounds just like NYC in the spring so I guess we've learned nothing about managing this pandemic. She is supposed to get this vaccine this week. I fear for her.

And I also concur with sending the Covidiots, anti-maskers, and anti-vaxxers to the end of the vaccine line.

Howee

PostPosted: 12/31/20 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
If I only get a bruised arm, I will be very happy indeed. My bigger concern is that we have no idea how long any of these vaccines will remain effective. I'd hate to find out in Sept that the healthcare people who got the vax this month are no longer immune.

One of my good friends is an older, immuno-compromised nurse at a large hospital in LA. Her description of their situation sounds just like NYC in the spring so I guess we've learned nothing about managing this pandemic. She is supposed to get this vaccine this week. I fear for her.

And I also concur with sending the Covidiots, anti-maskers, and anti-vaxxers to the end of the vaccine line.

A friend in CT told me that he has a relative who's on her second Covid-19 infection.... Shocked

PostPosted: 12/31/20 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:

If I have to get a periodic booster, I'm OK with that!

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 12/31/20 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Just when you thought you'd heard it all...

Wisconsin health-care worker ‘intentionally’ spoiled more than 500 coronavirus vaccine doses, hospital says

Quote:
A hospital employee outside Milwaukee deliberately spoiled more than 500 doses of coronavirus vaccine by removing 57 vials from a pharmacy refrigerator, hospital officials announced Wednesday, as local police said they were investigating the incident with the help of federal authorities.

Initiating an internal review on Monday, hospital officials said they were initially “led to believe” the incident was caused by “inadvertent human error." The vials were removed Friday and most were discarded Saturday, with only a few still safe to administer, according to an earlier statement from the health system. Each vial has enough for 10 vaccinations but can sit at room temperature for only 12 hours.

Two days later, the employee acknowledged having “intentionally removed the vaccine from refrigeration,” the hospital, Aurora Medical Center in Grafton, Wis., said in a statement late Wednesday. The employee, who has not been identified, was fired, the hospital said. Its statement did not address the worker’s motives but said “appropriate authorities” were promptly notified.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/12/31/covid-vaccines-destroyed-wisconsin-hospital/

Will be interesting to see what the charges are.

Since the federal government 'bought' the vaccine, will they be federal charges?? Reckless endangerment?

I say make an example of the person. Need to discourage any other anti-vaxxers out the of doing the same thing. Maybe send them to live/work in the COVID - 19 ward for a couple of months - without any PPE.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 01/01/21 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

If I have to get a periodic booster, I'm OK with that!

There are more and more reports of patients with recurrent COVID, but it's completely unknown whether the antibodies produced by the vaccine are longer-lived than the post-infection anti-bodies, simply because the vax trials weren't completed until a couple of months ago.

Boosters will undoubtedly be required, but unless immunity lasts at least a year so they can be given with the annual flu shot, this is not a viable situation. There's no way we'll get an adequate compliance level to maintain effective herd immunity if boosters are required 3-4 times a year. I personally have no regrets about anti-vaxxers getting the disease, but without a reasonable level of herd immunity, it poses a big drain on our healthcare system and economy.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 01/01/21 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At first I feared that the vaccines would be going into the arms of the wealthy and well-connected. But now I see the reality that strict guidelines are preventing doses from being administered at all. This plus a hesitancy to get the shot by a significant percentage of frontline healthcare workers et al has slowed the process of getting people vaccinated to a snail’s pace even at the most prestigious medical centers. I now think it’s time to change course and open this up to administering vaccines to anyone who wants one. You can still prioritize appointments by age or co-morbidities but we really need to quickly switch to Plan B.

PostPosted: 01/01/21 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
At first I feared that the vaccines would be going into the arms of the wealthy and well-connected. But now I see the reality that strict guidelines are preventing doses from being administered at all. This plus a hesitancy to get the shot by a significant percentage of frontline healthcare workers et al has slowed the process of getting people vaccinated to a snail’s pace even at the most prestigious medical centers. I now think it’s time to change course and open this up to administering vaccines to anyone who wants one. You can still prioritize appointments by age or co-morbidities but we really need to quickly switch to Plan B.

I'm not sure you can generalize. I haven't heard of any healthcare people in this area that are declining the vaccines. The State of NH was only allocated half as many vaccines as needed for its 1a group, and has only received 80% of its allocation, with about half of the received vaccines administered so far with the help of the National Guard. Yes, the admin part could undoubtedly be more efficient, but people are getting the vaccine when offered. There were protests in Boston hospitals when the online sign-up process failed.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 01/01/21 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, I am guilty of considering California realities primarily but I think this hesitancy to take the vaccine in both health care workers and non-health care workers alike is a pretty big story now.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-12-31/healthcare-workers-refuse-covid-19-vaccine-access

Crazy Daily Mail says 60% of American health care workers are refusing to get vaccinated. I don't know about that but it does seem to not be just California.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-9104845/Up-60-health-workers-refusing-COVID-19-vaccines.html

PostPosted: 01/01/21 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From what I've seen a lot of healthcare workers are declining the vaccine.

In my department <30% are getting the vaccine. That includes ZERO PERCENT the 15% of the department that are doing the testing of symptomatic people.

I know several people that work in an urgent care facility. Very few of them are getting the vaccine.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 01/01/21 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unbelievable.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 01/01/21 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

In my department <30% are getting the vaccine. That includes ZERO PERCENT the 15% of the department that are doing the testing of symptomatic people.

I know several people that work in an urgent care facility. Very few of them are getting the vaccine.

Maybe the Daily Mail isn’t so crazy on this one.

PostPosted: 01/01/21 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Maybe the Daily Mail isn’t so crazy on this one.

Well, don't forget, I do live in Indiana!!!

I forgot to add that there's another department where I know most of the people. That department has about 25 employees. I only know of three (three of the four that are over 60) that have either received the vaccine or are scheduled to get it. About a third in that department tested asymptomatically positive in the summer.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/02/21 5:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Debate about whether to unmask the trial participants or to try and keep the studies going.

Quote:
If someone learns they’ve already been vaccinated, for example, they may stop social distancing or wearing masks — increasing their potential exposure to the virus and possibly spreading it. It’s not yet known if vaccinated people can still carry and transmit the virus.

On the flip side, if a person finds out they only received the dummy shot, they might take precautions they wouldn’t otherwise.

Either outcome, Goodman said, “means the trial has basically come to an end.”

https://www.wane.com/community/health/coronavirus/explainer-should-vaccine-volunteers-now-get-the-real-thing/

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 01/02/21 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just for the thread and those who won’t click on a link to burn their free articles, etc.

From the LA Times piece.

“Roughly 20% to 40% of L.A. County’s frontline workers who were offered the vaccine did the same [declined to be vaccinated], according to county public health officials.

So many frontline workers in Riverside County have refused the vaccine — an estimated 50% — that hospital and public officials met to strategize how best to distribute the unused doses.

A recent survey by the Kaiser Family Foundation found that 29% of healthcare workers were “vaccine hesitant,” a figure slightly higher than the percentage of the general population, 27%.“

PostPosted: 01/02/21 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Just for the thread and those who won’t click on a link to burn their free articles, etc.

From the LA Times piece.

“Roughly 20% to 40% of L.A. County’s frontline workers who were offered the vaccine did the same [declined to be vaccinated], according to county public health officials.

So many frontline workers in Riverside County have refused the vaccine — an estimated 50% — that hospital and public officials met to strategize how best to distribute the unused doses.

A recent survey by the Kaiser Family Foundation found that 29% of healthcare workers were “vaccine hesitant,” a figure slightly higher than the percentage of the general population, 27%.“

I'm surprised that it's only 29%.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 01/03/21 1:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

California has begun vaccinating inmates and about half the states have plans to vaccinate their inmate populations before the general public. I’ll add links and quotes tomorrow.

PostPosted: 01/05/21 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So much going on around the vaccinations processes and failures. This top story headline from the Daily Mail does a good job of highlighting where some things are today.

Surgeon General calls on states to relax rules to get more people vaccinated as thousands of seniors camp out overnight in Florida - As New York threatens to fine hospitals that don’t use supplies but also if they give shots to the WRONG people.

So my thoughts on this have done a one-eighty. And that’s because of where we are now with this pitiful failure to get the vaccine into the bodies of people, like most of us, who want it.

Couple of things. It’s not hard to read enough and hear enough through the grapevine to get a picture of some of the key problems and why they’re happening but one thing I hope no one is falling for is the idea that there’s not enough medical personnel available to give the shots OR that there’s not enough vaccine.

I’m not even going to address those excuses because the first is ridiculous and the second is proven to be untrue based on the fact that so many doses are as yet unused.

At first I was reluctant to blame the federal side of the effort because they did what I would have considered to be their jobs. But now I have to blame everyone. They made some huge mistakes. One is in not preparing themselves a federal inoculation program that they staffed up and put in the field everywhere.

Because, quite obviously our states and, sadly, our hospital systems, are both pathetic incompetent rudderless and gutless failures.

Are vaccinations being administered anywhere 24/7? Dream on suckers. Are hospitals utilizing retired nurses and doctors or dentists and oral surgeons to administer doses of the vaccine? Not a chance. Are cars lined up like they do at Dodger Stadium for testing for people to be administered vaccines in their cars? No. Or at the Rose Bowl? Or at LAX and its massive parking lots because, of course, the airport should be shut down to air travel? Hell no. None of this is happening.

So add to that the complexities of dealing with people who are in the first tiers but are resistant to getting the vaccine for whatever reason and you have vaccinations occurring at a snail’s pace and millions of doses sitting in cold storage.

It’s murder. The failures of our federal and state governments and our hospitals are amounting to murder. Where is the people in this? Where are the voices of the people and where is our say-so in deciding what should be happening as opposed to what these fucking boobs are deciding.

Take just one major hospital. Here’s what should be happening. And then writ large for cities and counties. Eight lines. Injections given 24/7. Non stop.

ANYONE who wants one. Administer so many shots that it simply doesn’t matter who’s first and whose second or third. Make a special separate vaccination process for your front line workers or hospital personnel. But your hospital should be administering doses to the general public around the clock.

The only thing I want to hear at this point is, We’re out of vaccine. Waiting to get more.

PostPosted: 01/05/21 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Allow me to point out that a lot of those retired nurses and physicians came out of retirement months ago to care for COVID patients. Likewise medical students and nursing students have been incorporated into patient care settings already. The National Guard is already giving vaccines. We already had a shortage of doctors and nurses before this pandemic. There is no huge pool that exists to supply more vaccine givers now.

Not only that, but it probably takes at least 3-5 times as long to process the patient and the paperwork as it does to give the vaccine. And no, you can't just chuck that stuff because the patient's medical history and allergies need at least a cursory review, and the documentation is necessary for the state, FDA, and CDC to monitor for serious side effects, bad vaccine batches, etc. And patients have to signed up for their second vaccine.

I already ranted about vaccines in the other COVID thread once today. I don't mean to do it here. There are certainly inefficiencies in the vaccine delivery system, but blaming it on medical personnel, some of whom are already working 100 hours a week or more and haven't had a day off since February is not right.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/05/21 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm shocked, shocked to find the government is inefficient and bumbling

PostPosted: 01/05/21 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are ALWAYS more people to administer these injections than are being utilized to do so. That is the reality on the ground. People with medical backgrounds abound in the state of California who are sitting at home. There is a HUGE difference between working on a covid ward and dealing with those who are dying and who can and is willing to do that... and those who can merely be called upon to give an injection to otherwise healthy people. Seriously! Big difference in who those people are and how many more are available in the second category. And I’m not blaming medical personnel and don’t see where you get that I did that. I’m blaming those who are making the decisions that are failing to get the vaccines they have available into the arms of the public.

Last edited by jammerbirdi on 01/05/21 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 01/05/21 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:

Not only that, but it probably takes at least 3-5 times as long to process the patient and the paperwork as it does to give the vaccine. And no, you can't just chuck that stuff because the patient's medical history and allergies need at least a cursory review, and the documentation is necessary for the state, FDA, and CDC to monitor for serious side effects, bad vaccine batches, etc. And patients have to signed up for their second vaccine.

I can’t speak to where you are but I just witnessed and assisted someone with the process here in California and I assure you none of this is a time/labor bottleneck issue here. There is an extremely brief online questionnaire originating from the CDC but processed by hospitals that asks age and about allergies. Probably two or three additional questions. It takes under one minute to complete. There was then no additional paperwork at the place and time of the actual vaccination.

But whatever on that anyway. Just as I didn’t criticize medical personnel I also didn’t assert that administering the shots should take less time than they do. If it takes five or 15 minutes per person then that’s how long it takes. But as far as paperwork and processing as it stands there’s already in place, as I said, a brief online questionnaire for processing people and I would think just as those who line up in cars to get tested have to register online that expectations would be they do the same for vaccinations.

Online, completed by the public utilizing any one of the 1440 minutes of their day they choose, when you pick your first appointment your second one is automatically locked in, information goes where it goes. I just don’t or didn’t see a human factor there holding up the process.

PostPosted: 01/06/21 6:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

More from the Daily Mail.

White House covid task force is debating telling states to give the vaccine to anyone regardless of the order of priority.

Twenty four million doses have been distributed, but only 28% administered

On Tuesday a Camp David summit was held to discuss how to improve

Some members of the taskforce are arguing for orders of priority to be ripped up

They argue it is essential to vaccinate as many people as possible
It remains unclear precisely why the logistical bottleneck is occurring

/

So this all reminds me of the quote from Mike Tyson. Something about everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. Everybody from Operation Warp Speed to everyone reading this and everyone in between just got punched in the fucking mouth with this unfolding national vaccination rollout disaster. You go with the plan until you discover it’s a bad plan that isn’t even working. Then you look at the problem and you attack the problem. We need to remove any identifiable impediment to our using up the vaccine that has been shipped and then reassess.

PostPosted: 01/06/21 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

God forbid anyone actually listens to the CDC.

The admin plan is working in VT, NH, and ME, although none are receiving as many vaccines as requested or allocated. VT just arrested an armed conspiracy theorist who threatened to disrupt vax distribution there.

Call me a pessimist, but after hearing your input about Calif not being able to efficiently vaccinate everyone in group 1a, somehow I don't think that telling them to go ahead and vaccinate everyone is going to alleviate the chaos or make anything more efficient.

Would like to hear comments from people in other areas as to how things are working there. It may be that we don't need a new vaccination plan, we need governors to get their admin plans in order and to get the federal govt to improve its distribution.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 01/06/21 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not making light of our situation but at least we’re not France. As of yesterday they were reported to have only administered about 500 shots.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55529240

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 2 of 14

Jump to: