RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2020-21 edition coaches on hot seat
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 03/04/21 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mallory Bernhard will likely be replaced at North Dakota. She was named interim coach last year after “Bruising Brewster” was fired, but they have posted the job and said that if she wants it she has to apply for it.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/05/21 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fanaticka wrote:
https://auburntigers.com/news/2021/3/4/auburn-announces-womens-basketball-coaching-change.aspx
Terri Williams-Flournoy's tenure is over.
I have no idea who they should hire but I sure hope for better recruiting and results.

Not too surprised. I can't believe she hung on as long as she did.

Karen Barefoot at UNCW should be next, but I don't know that they care enough.

PostPosted: 03/05/21 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
fanaticka wrote:
https://auburntigers.com/news/2021/3/4/auburn-announces-womens-basketball-coaching-change.aspx
I have no idea who they should hire but I sure hope for better recruiting and results.

I've heard that they are interested in speaking with Sam Purcell (AC Louisville), Kelly Bond White(Assoc HC Tx A&M), Johnnie Harris (Assoc HC Texas) & if he has interest, Karl Smesko (FGCU). I realize that you know where those coaches coach, but i thought I would state it for those that don't. What about Barefoot impresses you the most? She has a good reputation, but I'm just curious.

There is also chatter that Holly Warlick could be in the mix IF she wants to be. Her results at Tennessee may not have looked great to UT folks after 7 years, but they were stellar compared to what we have been subjected to for the past decade. I do know that before Terri Williams- Flournoy (TWF) was hired, Auburn waited to make certain that Tennessee was going to name her as Summitt's permanent successor. Ofcourse, the two finalists for the job 9 years ago were TWF and Kellie Harper. When TWF was hired, many were not very happy about it.

Sam Purcell could emerge as the leader of the pack, but AU's relatively new AD keeps things close to the vest so not much would surprise me. This process should have taken place several years ago, but that is water under the bridge at this point.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/06/21 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PlayBally'all wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
fanaticka wrote:

I've heard that they are interested in speaking with Sam Purcell (AC Louisville), Kelly Bond White(Assoc HC Tx A&M), Johnnie Harris (Assoc HC Texas) & if he has interest, Karl Smesko (FGCU). I realize that you know where those coaches coach, but i thought I would state it for those that don't. What about Barefoot impresses you the most? She has a good reputation, but I'm just curious.

There is also chatter that Holly Warlick could be in the mix IF she wants to be. Her results at Tennessee may not have looked great to UT folks after 7 years, but they were stellar compared to what we have been subjected to for the past decade. I do know that before Terri Williams- Flournoy (TWF) was hired, Auburn waited to make certain that Tennessee was going to name her as Summitt's permanent successor. Ofcourse, the two finalists for the job 9 years ago were TWF and Kellie Harper. When TWF was hired, many were not very happy about it.

Sam Purcell could emerge as the leader of the pack, but AU's relatively new AD keeps things close to the vest so not much would surprise me. This process should have taken place several years ago, but that is water under the bridge at this point.

One thing for sure, y'all CANNOT have Kellie now! Laughing

PostPosted: 03/06/21 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Holly is a great recruiter. She might do well with another SEC team where there is less pressure.

And Vandy has put the fire out under Steph White's chair.
https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/vanderbilt/2021/03/05/vanderbilt-womens-basketball-coach-stephanie-white-return-sixth-season/4597228001/

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 03/06/21 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
PlayBally'all wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
fanaticka wrote:

One thing for sure, y'all CANNOT have Kellie now! Laughing

No doubt. We would have lost her when UT came calling, but we would have been in so much of a better place. The more I hear, the more I'm convinced that Sam Purcell is the likely choice. Not only is he an Auburn grad, but he is married to the former Meghan Ciampi, daughter of Joe Ciampi, who took AU to 3 Final 4s in 88,89 &90. Even without the connection, he has earned the chance to lead a program, but those connections can really push an otherwise qualified candidate to the front of the pack.

Durantula

PostPosted: 03/07/21 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought Wisconsin may be hot seat situation, but I see they extended Tsipis all the way through 2024-2025 Shocked

Gard, women’s basketball coach Jonathan Tsipis, men’s hockey coach Tony Granato, women’s hockey coach Mark Johnson and softball coach Yvette Healy all have five-year contracts that now run through the 2024-2025 season.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/08/21 11:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
I thought Wisconsin may be hot seat situation, but I see they extended Tsipis all the way through 2024-2025 Shocked

Gard, women’s basketball coach Jonathan Tsipis, men’s hockey coach Tony Granato, women’s hockey coach Mark Johnson and softball coach Yvette Healy all have five-year contracts that now run through the 2024-2025 season.

I think a lot of places have hit pause/extend reflexively after this past year. I wish Tsipis could get a better handle on recruiting. I think he's a decent enough coach.

PostPosted: 03/08/21 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Durantula wrote:

I think a lot of places have hit pause/extend reflexively after this past year. I wish Tsipis could get a better handle on recruiting. I think he's a decent enough coach.

Iowa certainly benefits from Wisconsin's struggles to keep their top talent in state.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/08/21 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Durantula wrote:

Iowa certainly benefits from Wisconsin's struggles to keep their top talent in state.

Iowa has a long tradition of girls' high school basketball. Wisconsin does not. And right there is where the problem starts. I grew up in Wisconsin and I know.

PostPosted: 03/08/21 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Durantula wrote:

Iowa has a long tradition of girls' high school basketball. Wisconsin does not. And right there is where the problem starts. I grew up in Wisconsin and I know.

I trust what you're saying about the Iowa HS tradition vs. Wisconson HS ... I'm just saying some of Iowa's top recruits in recent years have been girls from Wisconsin in Sam Logic, Megan Gustafson, and currently McKenna Warnock.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/09/21 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:

I guess it was a hot seat after all - Wisconsin announced the firing of Tsipis tonight - https://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2021/3/9/22322501/wisconsin-badgers-womens-basketball-uw-fires-head-coach-jonathan-tsipis

bucks4now

PostPosted: 03/10/21 4:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah but they beat Ohio State...

Richard 77

PostPosted: 03/10/21 4:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
Durantula wrote:

I guess it was a hot seat after all - Wisconsin announced the firing of Tsipis tonight - https://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2021/3/9/22322501/wisconsin-badgers-womens-basketball-uw-fires-head-coach-jonathan-tsipis

I call this karma. 20 years of karma.

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
Davis4632

PostPosted: 03/10/21 9:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
Durantula wrote:

So much for the "Covid freeze" for delaying the firing of coaches.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/10/21 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richard 77 wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
Durantula wrote:

I call this karma. 20 years of karma.

Yup. Jane Albright and Al Brown's karma. And Pat Richter's. Somewhere Jane is saying "I told you to listen." Because Pat Richter listened to the WRONG people. Geez.

PostPosted: 03/12/21 12:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Based on Tsipis's record at GW, he looks like an objectively good coach.

But you still have to have a relative amount of talent to win, and he's been an abject failure as a recruiter on the Major level. In 5 years he never managed to snag a Top 100 player in their class, of which there were 10 just in Wisconsin between 2016-2020. The 2021 class's top recruit, Callie Genke, is a Green Bay signee.

Yes, it is going to be just as difficult for the next person up to improve the program, but Tsipis was clearly not going to turn it around.

PostPosted: 03/12/21 7:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:

But you still have to have a relative amount of talent to win, and he's been an abject failure as a recruiter on the Major level. In 5 years he never managed to snag a Top 100 player in their class, of which there were 10 just in Wisconsin between 2016-2020. The 2021 class's top recruit, Callie Genke, is a Green Bay signee.

Yes, it is going to be just as difficult for the next person up to improve the program, but Tsipis was clearly not going to turn it around.

I think the question then becomes: can *anyone* recruit to Wisconsin? Or is that job the opposite of a cradle of coaches? (a coffin of coaches?)

PostPosted: 03/12/21 9:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:

Last edited by Durantula on 03/12/21 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/12/21 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:

The only thing about GW is he had a future WNBA star in Jonquel Jones, and well that is always going to be tough to beat in a league like Atlantic 10. At Wisconsin he never had some insane talent like her. I guess a better gauge would be how he did in the A10 without such an outlier like Jonquel Jones because the A10 does not normally have 6'5 players who can do it all.

Why would you take out his best player? I assume he recruited her, as she didn't arrive until his 2nd year there but I could be wrong on that. Recruiting is a major part of being a successful coach at that level. In addition, having a star player doesn't always make it easier to coach. You have to figure out how to keep the "team" on the same page. Plus, there have been several great players at GW through the years including Taj Abraham, Cathy Joens, Lisa Cermignano, etc. I just don't think it's fair to remove someone's best player when evaluating a coach as they had to get them there in the first place, keep them there and then figure out how to maintain the team concept while getting the most out of that player.

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/12/21 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:

I think the question then becomes: can *anyone* recruit to Wisconsin? Or is that job the opposite of a cradle of coaches? (a coffin of coaches?)

Man, they used to be good. I would think you could recruit there for several reasons:

1. Great school (academics)
2. Big Ten
3. Great facility
4. Proximity to prime recruiting locations (Chicago, Milwaukee, Minnesota)
5. Great college town
6. Successful men's programs (fun atmosphere at football, men's hoops)

I know there is some question about commitment to the program (AD), but $650k for a salary isn't awful and I think their budget for recruiting, travel, etc was in the middle of the league.

Also, I know location doesn't help a ton and neither does the relative lack of history/tradition as I don't think they have ever gotten to the Sweet 16.

I really like Tsipsis and thought he would be able to get it done there, esp with a lot of the connections that he had when he was at Notre Dame. I would like to see the Badgers get better as I knew Jane Albright back in the day and she was such a nice person, which makes me kinda root for them a little bit.

Durantula

PostPosted: 03/12/21 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Durantula wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:

The only thing about GW is he had a future WNBA star in Jonquel Jones, and well that is always going to be tough to beat in a league like Atlantic 10. At Wisconsin he never had some insane talent like her. I guess a better gauge would be how he did in the A10 without such an outlier like Jonquel Jones because the A10 does not normally have 6'5 players who can do it all.

Why would you take out his best player? I assume he recruited her, as she didn't arrive until his 2nd year there but I could be wrong on that. Recruiting is a major part of being a successful coach at that level. In addition, having a star player doesn't always make it easier to coach. You have to figure out how to keep the "team" on the same page. Plus, there have been several great players at GW through the years including Taj Abraham, Cathy Joens, Lisa Cermignano, etc. I just don't think it's fair to remove someone's best player when evaluating a coach as they had to get them there in the first place, keep them there and then figure out how to maintain the team concept while getting the most out of that player.

Last edited by Durantula on 03/12/21 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 03/12/21 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:

She came in as a transfer, but she went there because her American guardian was on staff. I am not trying to completely take out his best player but clearly when evaluating a coach you have to consider a lot of things. Would you have hired Tina Martin at say Pitt when she had EDD? I mean some things are not translatable or replicable, that's all. I defended Tsipis earlier either here or another thread, he has long ties at Notre Dame and he had been a head coach so he was fine candidate at Wisconsin.

Thank you for that...I had no idea about the transfer/guardian situation. That would certainly make me take it with a grain of salt as well. And point is well taken with Martin and EDD. I was extremely familiar with that entire situation so I would definitely discount that as well, esp as I am not sure she really took advantage of her talents as well as she could have.

Thanks again for explaining that scenario.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/13/21 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

purduefanatic wrote:
Queenie wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:

Man, they used to be good. I would think you could recruit there for several reasons:

2. Big Ten
3. Great facility
5. Great college town

I know there is some question about commitment to the program (AD), but $650k for a salary isn't awful and I think their budget for recruiting, travel, etc was in the middle of the league.

Also, I know location doesn't help a ton and neither does the relative lack of history/tradition as I don't think they have ever gotten to the Sweet 16.

I really like Tsipsis and thought he would be able to get it done there, esp with a lot of the connections that he had when he was at Notre Dame. I would like to see the Badgers get better as I knew Jane Albright back in the day and she was such a nice person, which makes me kinda root for them a little bit.

As a Wisconsin alum, I certainly can't disagree with you on any of the points you make about what a great place it is. But the program has been messed up ever since Jane Albright retired and I really think it's karma. (If you knew Jane, you may know what happened when she retired and what was supposed to happen and didn't....and that's why Ms. Karma stepped in and hasn't let up Wink ). And the commitment from ADs is a huge problem.

I know Tsipis had HC experience and connections and AC experience at Notre Dame, but I maintain that HC experience in the mids + AC experience/connections at a successful program do not always add up, especially when you're called to take on a program that's been in trouble for a long time. And GW was successful on a modest scale, but not for any sustained length of time. You have to evaluate that when evaluating a coach. It's a long slog. I was really rooting for him because I think he is a good guy, but I just don't think he got the commitment he should have had, and maybe partly because of that he was in over his head. He tried really hard and I could see sparks on the few occasions I was able to watch the team (I mostly get to see Maryland out here) but there were not enough young women who made the commitment to stay.

PostPosted: 03/13/21 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
purduefanatic wrote:
Queenie wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:

2. Big Ten
3. Great facility
5. Great college town

As a Wisconsin alum, I certainly can't disagree with you on any of the points you make about what a great place it is. But the program has been messed up ever since Jane Albright retired and I really think it's karma. (If you knew Jane, you may know what happened when she retired and what was supposed to happen and didn't....and that's why Ms. Karma stepped in and hasn't let up Wink ). And the commitment from ADs is a huge problem.

I know Tsipis had HC experience and connections and AC experience at Notre Dame, but I maintain that HC experience in the mids + AC experience/connections at a successful program do not always add up, especially when you're called to take on a program that's been in trouble for a long time. And GW was successful on a modest scale, but not for any sustained length of time. You have to evaluate that when evaluating a coach. It's a long slog. I was really rooting for him because I think he is a good guy, but I just don't think he got the commitment he should have had, and maybe partly because of that he was in over his head. He tried really hard and I could see sparks on the few occasions I was able to watch the team (I mostly get to see Maryland out here) but there were not enough young women who made the commitment to stay.

Wish I knew exactly what happened at Wisconsin near the end of Jane's tenure, but one of the reasons why she was let go was because the Athletic Department got greedy. Jane could get her teams into post-season tournaments but in the big dance, her teams faltered in the first round each appearance and the AD wanted nothing but the final trophy. They kept forgetting how good the Tennesees and Notre Dames (among others) were and thought Jane's teams were on somewhat equal par with them. Getting to the NCAA 64 during that period should have been good enough to protect her job but it wasn't for the AD. The other fiasco (other than Nina Smith) was that Cram the Kohl event. The Badgers were ranked fifth by then and were soundly beaten by Minnesota. Something happened that game that destroyed team chemistry (I was told to watch game film) and the Badgers were never the same after that to which Jane couldn't recover. (a 12 or 13 game losing streak.) Instead of letting her rebuild the program, the AD let her go and Karma stepped in. They haven't found a successful coach since and their players have mostly been forgettable. Other than Anderson, I couldn't tell you another over 17 years. Women's college basketball these days shouldn't be just about the big dance and a national trophy. Some of it should be preparing those one or two gifted athletes on a roster for a professional career in the WNBA. That's why Wisconsin needs to hire someone whom high school girls basketball players recognize and want to play for. How many Wisconsin HS players over the last 10 years knew who Kelesy or Tsipis was? I'll bet not many. If any.

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: