RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Book banning in California

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 12/09/20 2:05 pm    ::: Book banning in California Reply Reply with quote

https://www.newsweek.com/kill-mockingbird-other-books-banned-california-schools-over-racism-concerns-1547241

Quote:
Until further notice, teachers in the area will not be able to include on their curriculum Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird, Mark Twain's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men, Theodore Taylor's The Cay and Mildred D. Taylor's Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry.

PostPosted: 12/09/20 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A bit troubling. Especially from California. Confused

PostPosted: 12/09/20 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

But maybe the birth of a new awareness. California. It ain't what I been thinkin.'

PostPosted: 12/09/20 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If I don't want to read a book, I simply don't read it. But I don't think others should not be allowed to read it if they want to.

And the idea that schools are saying the books can't be taught is preposterous.
pilight

PostPosted: 12/09/20 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

The left has long been the pro-censorship side

PostPosted: 12/12/20 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:

The left has long been the pro-censorship side

That would be factually incorrect.

The left is not the pro-censorship side. Both political parties like to dance to that beat. They just go after different things. The problem on the left is that the pro-censorship wing of the party used to be on the fringes while on the right it was a central tenet, but now it's becoming much more mainstream left.

PostPosted: 12/12/20 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's been a *thing* forever by all types, no? To me the difference is that reactionary, conservative types generally want to ban things that will subvert innocent minds with inconvenient truths or mistruths (valid or not), while lefties generally want to ban things that are offensive to any sector of society. I'd be delighted to hear of examples to the contrary on either view.

PostPosted: 12/14/20 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think this is a bad idea, but perhaps not as bad as some in this thread. I would be far more troubled if these books were banned from the libraries rather than just the curriculum (i.e., required reading).

As far as the books themselves, my biggest problem is with "To Kill a Mockingbird," not only because it is one of my favorite books but also because I believe the lessons of the book can be well-taught at the high school level.

This was a decision only made by Burbank. As such it troubles me far less than some of the curriculum control in Texas, Arizona and several Southern states over history and science teaching that run counter to reality.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: