Board Junkies Forums

Top 25 @ 25
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 11/30/20 9:54 am    ::: Top 25 @ 25 Reply Reply with quote

https://acrossthetimeline.com/a/wnba-top-25.html

Quote:
Back in 2006, the WNBA named an All-Decade Team to celebrate the league's 10 "best and most influential players," and that has continued every five years since, expanding the list by five each time. In 2011 it was the Top 15 Players, in 2016 the Top 20@20, and if that trend continues, it will be time for a Top 25 in 2021.

Based on the league's past advertised eligibility requirements, the following interactive tool allows you to quickly explore the players eligible for, nominated for, and voted to each of the past lists, as well as the players projected to be eligible for the Top 25. Click any list name along the top to travel back in time to the time of that list's selection, and filter the players down using the buttons along the left side ("eligible," "finalists," and "the list"). From there, clicking a player's name reveals their WNBA career information as of that year.

Take some time to explore, and then scroll down for more quick facts about the league's top players.

PostPosted: 11/30/20 10:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the list is ultimately fairly obvious

Seimone Augustus
Sue Bird
Tamika Catchings
Tina Charles
Cynthia Cooper
Elena Delle Donne
Sylvia Fowles
Yolanda Griffith
Brittney Griner
Becky Hammon
Lauren Jackson
Lisa Leslie
Angel McCoughtry
Maya Moore
Deanna Nolan
Candace Parker
Ticha Penicheiro
Cappie Pondexter
Katie Smith
Breanna Stewart
Sheryl Swoopes
Diana Taurasi
Tina Thompson
Courtney Vandersloot
Lindsay Whalen

Honorable mentions

Swin Cash
Skylar Diggins
Katie Douglas
Nneka Ogwumike
Natalie Williams

PostPosted: 11/30/20 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The hate for Cambage..

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 11/30/20 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I think the list is ultimately fairly obvious

Seimone Augustus
Sue Bird
Tamika Catchings
Tina Charles
Cynthia Cooper
Elena Delle Donne
Sylvia Fowles
Yolanda Griffith
Brittney Griner
Becky Hammon
Lauren Jackson
Lisa Leslie
Angel McCoughtry
Maya Moore
Deanna Nolan
Candace Parker
Ticha Penicheiro
Cappie Pondexter
Katie Smith
Breanna Stewart
Sheryl Swoopes
Diana Taurasi
Tina Thompson
Courtney Vandersloot
Lindsay Whalen

Honorable mentions

Swin Cash
Skylar Diggins
Katie Douglas
Nneka Ogwumike
Natalie Williams

Spot on list Pilight! Shocked Shocked

pilight

PostPosted: 11/30/20 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
The hate for Cambage..

She was drafted 10 years ago and has played 3 1/2 seasons. If she would show up with some regularity, she might get considered.

PostPosted: 11/30/20 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is that the 25 you would pick, or the 25 you think the league will come up with, pilight? (or both)

PostPosted: 11/30/20 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Is that the 25 you would pick, or the 25 you think the league will come up with, pilight? (or both)

The 25 I would pick.

In reality there's very little chance that Ogwumike, a former MVP, will be left out. One of the PGs (Sloot or Penicheiro) will likely get dumped for her. Ogwumike is overrated, IMO, and her MVP season is so out of line from the rest of her career I'm inclined to discount it.

PostPosted: 11/30/20 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wouldn't be too surprised if Deanna Nolan dropped back off the list now we're further removed from her abbreviated WNBA career. Or if Swin Cash managed to cling on (partially thanks to still being somewhat in the public eye). An interesting element is that the league is old enough now that we have legitimate longevity vs briefer excellence arguments. Players like Brunson and even Dupree will get votes based on accumulated stats even if their peaks weren't as high as some other options.

PostPosted: 11/30/20 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No surprise, but I wouldn't have Ticha near my list. If you are unable or unwilling to learn to shoot/score, you don't belong on a best-of team. I know this is a minority opinion, but my mind is pretty firmly set.

Also, no surprise that I would add Douglas in her place.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 11/30/20 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No surprise, but I would never have Katie Douglas on any list that didn't already have Penny Taylor on it

PostPosted: 11/30/20 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

The 25 I would pick.

In reality there's very little chance that Ogwumike, a former MVP, will be left out. One of the PGs (Sloot or Penicheiro) will likely get dumped for her. Ogwumike is overrated, IMO, and her MVP season is so out of line from the rest of her career I'm inclined to discount it.

She shouldn't have been the MVP that year

pilight

PostPosted: 11/30/20 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
No surprise, but I would never have Katie Douglas on any list that didn't already have Penny Taylor on it

I didn't put that much thought into the 5th honorable mention (they're listed alphabetically)

PostPosted: 11/30/20 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

I didn't put that much thought into the 5th honorable mention (they're listed alphabetically)

Lists are tricky when the definition is open to interpretation.
Your 25 is very good IMO.

PostPosted: 12/01/20 12:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
pilight wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

The 25 I would pick.

She shouldn't have been the MVP that year

Yeah Tina got robbed probably was her best and last shot, But LA was better even though NY earned a bye that year.

PostPosted: 12/01/20 2:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I 100% agree that Penicheiro should be replaced by Douglas. 4x All-WNBA, 5x All-Defensive, greatest left-handed female ever to play the sport (prove me wrong). For me the last spot comes down to Nolan or Ogwumike, with Ogwumike narrowly edging out Nolan.

Last edited by PickledGinger on 12/01/20 3:15 am; edited 2 times in total
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 12/01/20 2:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Charles would’ve been a two-time MVP winner without getting no where close to a Finals appearance in a shallow Eastern Conference and almost had as many field goal attempts as points, for a PF/C.

MVP went to that right person that year, IMO.

PostPosted: 12/01/20 8:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
I 100% agree that Penicheiro should be replaced by Douglas. 4x All-WNBA, 5x All-Defensive, greatest left-handed female ever to play the sport (prove me wrong). For me the last spot comes down to Nolan or Ogwumike, with Ogwumike narrowly edging out Nolan.

Lisa Leslie is left handed...

PostPosted: 12/01/20 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was initially puzzled by Sugar Rodgers being in the pool. Then, I figured out that she meets 3 of the qualifying criteria because:

1) She was a deep bench player on the 2013 Lynx Championship team.

2) Sugar had a good 2016 season, but there was no All-Star game that year. The following season, she got some make-up, sympathy votes and was named to the 2017 Eastern Conference All-Star team.

3) Rodgers began the 2017 season as a starter, but subsequently lost her starting job because of poor shooting. The WNBA press, clearly not paying attention, looked at Sugar’s 10.5 ppg and voted her Sixth Woman of the Year.

PostPosted: 12/01/20 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:

Lisa Leslie is left handed...

Rolling Eyes Everbody loves a contrarian (not). Fine! Greatest female player to have shot with her left hand. Ya happy?

Wink

I would love to throw another name into the discussion. Ranking 13th and 14th respectively with 16.9 points and 7.6 rebounds per game in her career, 3x All-WNBA and 6x All-Star in 11 seasons, the league's most criminally overlooked superstar: Chamique Holdsclaw.

SDHoops

PostPosted: 12/02/20 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight forgot his favorite, Nikki Teasley........

pilight

PostPosted: 12/02/20 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This place never changes. Everyone wants to pick apart my list, but no one wants to post their own.

PostPosted: 12/02/20 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not to pick you apart, I just love the conversation. Here's my list. Don't crucify me...Penicheiro didn't even make my Honorable Mention.

PG: Sue Bird - Becky Hammon - Cappie Pondexter - Courtney Vandersloot - Lindsay Whalen
SG: Seimone Augustus - Cynthia Cooper - Katie Douglas - Katie Smith - Diana Taurasi
SF: Angel McCooughtry - Tamika Catchings - Elena Delle Donne - Maya Moore - Sheryl Swoopes
PF: Tina Charles - Lauren Jackson - Nneka Ogwumike - Breanna Stewart - Tina Thompson
C: Sylvia Fowles - Yolanda Griffith - Brittney Griner - Lisa Leslie - Candace Parker

Honorable Mention: Rebekkah Brunson - Candice Dupree - Chamique Holdsclaw - Deanna Nolan - Penny Taylor

30 @ 30 Watchlist: DeWanna Bonner - Napheesa Collier - Skylar Diggins-Smith - Chelsea Gray - Tiffany Hayes - Jonquel Jones - Jewell Loyd - Kayla McBride - Alyssa Thomas - A'ja Wilson

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 12/02/20 11:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My list (the 25 that I would pick)

Seimone Augustus
Sue Bird
Tamika Catchings
Tina Charles
Cynthia Cooper
Elena Delle Donne
Sylvia Fowles
Yolanda Griffith
Brittney Griner
Becky Hammon
Lauren Jackson
Lisa Leslie
Angel McCoughtry
Maya Moore
Nneka Ogwumike
Candace Parker
Cappie Pondexter
Katie Smith
Breanna Stewart
Sheryl Swoopes
Diana Taurasi
Penny Taylor
Tina Thompson
Natalie Williams
Lindsay Whalen

Randy

PostPosted: 12/03/20 8:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
This place never changes. Everyone wants to pick apart my list, but no one wants to post their own.

Your list is fine with me.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/03/20 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Rolling Eyes Everbody loves a contrarian (not). Fine! Greatest female player to have shot with her left hand. Ya happy?

Wink

The first alternative that came to mind was Alana Beard, who was much better than Douglas offensively for the first half of her career then much better than Douglas defensively for the second half.

It's hard to make comparisons with Beard. Mystics!Beard and Sparks!Beard are such different players.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: