RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Las Vegas Aces 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/30/21 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She wasn't claimed. It's a mix-up from the person who first reported it. She was only waived today, and assuming she clears there's already a deal in place for her to sign in Vegas (and it's damn unlikely she'll be claimed, considering almost no one has the space to do so, even if they wanted to).

Part of the reason players accept a buyout is usually because they know exactly what kind of deal is waiting for them somewhere else.

PostPosted: 06/30/21 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cool. Can you confirm whether or not the WNBA's waiver rules do, in fact, work like in the men's league, though?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/30/21 8:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, it's all pretty much the same thing.

PostPosted: 06/30/21 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/17/21 3:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
What happens in San Antonio stays in … Vegas?
Former Stars player Tully Bevilaqua talks to Deadspin about being part of the Vegas Aces

I’ve been pretty consistent on my feelings about relocated teams and how their histories should be handled over the years. It’s not a position that I expected to really reconsider. But that’s exactly what happened last week, when I saw Tully Bevilaqua tweeting pictures of her trip to Las Vegas for the Aces’ alumni event.

https://deadspin.com/what-happens-in-san-antonio-stays-in-vegas-1847306400

PostPosted: 07/29/21 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/LVAces/status/1420821872879357957

Quote:
𝗦𝗖𝗛𝗘𝗗𝗨𝗟𝗘 𝗨𝗣𝗗𝗔𝗧𝗘

Our 9/13 game originally scheduled at 7 PM PT has now been moved to 12 PM PT.

PostPosted: 08/20/21 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://sports.yahoo.com/owner-wnbas-aces-connects-franchises-174320758.html

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/20/21 11:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChasingRatDogmaSalade wrote:

This is first class. You guys should do something for Margo as well ! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: 08/21/21 10:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

This is first class. You guys should do something for Margo as well ! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

yes, that would be cool. maybe bring her two sons to a celebration for her. Are they in Australia? They would be old enough that it would be very special for them... after the pandemic of course.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 08/23/21 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice article, but I have a question about it...

Quote:
[Owner Mark] Davis envisions a bright future for the Aces on and off the court. He's planning to build a state of the art training facility across the street from where the Raiders train.

He points to vacant land beyond a window.

"We're going to give them a home," he said. "That meant practice facilities, offices, training room, locker room, everything that would make them a world class organization."

That building will also house the Al Davis-Eddie Robinson Leadership Academy.

You mean, the Aces don't have a practice facility right now? Then where have they been training and working out? At a nearby college?

PostPosted: 08/23/21 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nikki Fargas:
Quote:
"When Mark said to me I want to create the same feeling of family with the Aces I knew exactly what he meant," she said. "I had experienced how they treat their former players. We want it to be the standard of what it should look like when you're part of the Aces family. If you played five minutes or five years in a Utah or San Antonio uniform you’re part of the Aces family."

So, does that mean Megan Compain, Danielle Crockrom, and Kym Pope don't count as part of the Aces "family", because their playing time with the Utah Starzz were less than five minutes? Wink

PostPosted: 08/23/21 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:

Nikki Fargas:
Quote:
"When Mark said to me I want to create the same feeling of family with the Aces I knew exactly what he meant," she said. "I had experienced how they treat their former players. We want it to be the standard of what it should look like when you're part of the Aces family. If you played five minutes or five years in a Utah or San Antonio uniform you’re part of the Aces family."

So, does that mean Megan Compain, Danielle Crockrom, and Kym Pope don't count as part of the Aces "family", because their playing time with the Utah Starzz were less than five minutes? Wink

Semeka Randall , Tami Reese , Heidi Burge....the list goes on .

PostPosted: 08/23/21 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:

You mean, the Aces don't have a practice facility right now? Then where have they been training and working out? At a nearby college?

We do not.

Most practices are at Michelob Ultra Arena, where we play.

Sometimes we have to go to UNLV if there is a conflict with another event at MUA.

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/23/21 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:

We do not.

Most practices are at Michelob Ultra Arena, where we play.

Sometimes we have to go to UNLV if there is a conflict with another event at MUA.

I think this is actually an advantage. You really establish a home court advantage if you practice on the same court where you play.

ChasingRatDogmaSalade

PostPosted: 08/24/21 8:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://theathletic.com/2786507/2021/08/24/tik-toks-twerking-and-triumph-how-the-aces-lead-the-league-in-fun-and-winning/?source=freedailyemail&campaign=601983

pilight

PostPosted: 09/02/21 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aces sign Bria Holmes to a seven day

PostPosted: 09/10/21 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aces To Honor Becky Hammon By Raising Her No. 25 To The Rafters, Monday, September 13

https://aces.wnba.com/news/aces-to-honor-becky-hammon-by-raising-her-no-25-to-the-rafters-monday-september-13/

Quote:
The Stars retired her No. 25 on June 25, 2016, and that number remained retired when the team moved to Las Vegas.

PostPosted: 09/10/21 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I continue to be impressed with how the Aces have acknowledged and paid tribute to the franchise's history. I'm sure some of it is that Mark Davis has given them the money to do things that other organisations would do if they had the budget, but you still have to come up with the ideas and follow them through (and be willing to spend the money whether you have it or not). It's been cool to see.

And some of the league's greats are only ever going to see their numbers retired and their pro careers celebrated if franchises acknowledge the places that they existed before and own that history. Maybe the Comets and Monarchs greats don't have a team that could claim them but, for example, the Shock do. Might not have the same draw as a free trip to Vegas, but if Dallas wanted to honour Cheryl Ford or Tweety Nolan I doubt they'd turn it down.

PostPosted: 09/10/21 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good to hear that Hammon herself will be there. Still, it must be a bittersweet honor for her, especially considering that San Antonio in all likelihood will never have a W team ever again.

Richyyy wrote:
I continue to be impressed with how the Aces have acknowledged and paid tribute to the franchise's history... It's been cool to see.

+1. The organization made a conscious decision to to honoring the franchise's multi-city history and is completely committed to it, which is quite commendable. It would be nice to see the Wings organization take a similar stance, but... it appears that they don't really care. Sad

Queenie

PostPosted: 09/10/21 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Good to hear that Hammon herself will be there. Still, it must be a bittersweet honor for her, especially considering that San Antonio in all likelihood will never have a W team ever again.

Richyyy wrote:
I continue to be impressed with how the Aces have acknowledged and paid tribute to the franchise's history... It's been cool to see.

+1. The organization made a conscious decision to to honoring the franchise's multi-city history and is completely committed to it, which is quite commendable. It would be nice to see the Wings organization take a similar stance, but... it appears that they don't really care. Sad

I think it's because Utah --> San Antonio --> Las Vegas was a lot less acrimonious and messy than Detroit --> Tulsa --> Dallas. Tulsa started with disappearing contract extensions, sprinkled in some ignoble publicity stunts ('sup, Marion Jones?), threw in three consecutive years of publicized staph infections, squeaked over .500 once, and eventually became the laughingstock of the league. If I owned the Dallas Wings, I'd pretend that era never happened too, even if it meant not being able to declare my franchise heirs of the Detroit Shock.

Would it be amazing if Dallas could come to terms with its past? Absolutely. It would also be amazing if Connecticut fully embraced their Orlando roots instead of being noncommittal about them. Do I think it's gonna happen? Nope.

PostPosted: 09/10/21 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oof, I forgot about the staph infections. Damn, reading that article felt like some sort of awful covid prequel. Confused

At least they're not in Tulsa anymore where most of this took place under the same Shock name. Idk, I just think enough time has passed to where the now-Dallas Wings can & should make the attempt to reach out now, even if it's from the same ownership group that moved the team from Detroit to begin with. If players decline to participate in any related events, so be it – their choice, their prerogative. It just feels more like the Wings owners remember the players justifiably wanting no part of a Shock future in a different city and can't get over their own egos in (or, don't have the balls when it comes to) acknowledging that there was a lot of pain within that chapter of the history while simultaneously honoring the whole history. Here in the Not-So-Roaring 20s, the main theme is reflecting upon the past to distract from our dreadful present. I say, get with the times, Wings! Razz

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/07/21 3:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Liz Cambage to face private hearing following her heated pre-Olympic altercation
Quote:
Australian basketball star Liz Cambage has been ordered to front a private panel about her behaviour during a pre-Olympic exhibition match against Nigeria.
An investigation into the incident in Las Vegas, after which Cambage withdrew from the Australian team for the Tokyo Games, is nearing conclusion. Basketball Australia will give all parties a final chance to add to a report on the incident before the hearing.
Cambage will face an independent panel to discuss her involvement in the heated altercation that unfolded in a closed-door scrimmage against the Nigerians in July prior to the Tokyo Olympics.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/basketball/liz-cambage-to-face-private-hearing-following-her-heated-preolympic-altercation/news-story/d62c7906264ffce0a59dfa615fe9719c

PostPosted: 10/07/21 5:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slightly awkward situation, given that Liz has the potential to basically say "fuck you guys, I retire from international basketball, nothing you say has any bearing on me anymore". Plus all the mental health elements, given what she's said in the past. Plus a World Cup being held in Australia in less than 12 months.

So yeah, awkward.

PostPosted: 10/07/21 8:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If this altercation were on camera, I wonder what we’d be saying.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 10/07/21 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan wrote:
If this altercation were on camera, I wonder what we’d be saying.

It probably is in camera.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: