RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Las Vegas Aces 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 04/25/21 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

That said, she'd immediately be at least as useful as Emma Cannon or whoever else is going to make that 11th spot on Vegas's roster.

I disagree. Emma Cannon is familiar with the Aces. Laimbeer loves that. Makes his job easier. Also, Cannon seems to be doing very well at her EuroCup level Turkish team.

She’s even hitting the three at a nice clip. Gets to the line about 5 times a game, which Laimbeer loves. Rebounds at a nice clip.

She makes the lowest salary in the league. I think the best case scenario would be to have Rupert defer this year.

Gray/JYoung/Slocum
Plum/RWilliams
McCoughtry/
Wilson/Hamby/Cannon
Cambage/Park

Other options
Kionna Jeter G
Lauren Manis F
Shakayla Thomas F
Kate Cain C

Young can bounce between backing up Gray (if needed) to backing up McCoughtry (needed). Plum can also play back up PG. so that alleviates pressure on Slocum, who despite being small, seems to have a good shot at making this team.

Slocum might have to worry about talent hitting the waiver wire, like possibly Mabrey. I think she’d be the perfect Laimbeer type combo guard.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 04/26/21 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

April 26, 2021
Las Vegas Aces: Kionna Jeter – Waived

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/29/21 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fun article on Cambage https://www.swishappeal.com/wnba/2021/4/29/22403810/wnba-las-vegas-aces-liz-cambage-back-return-mvp-all-star-tulsa-shock-dallas-wings-southside-flyers

But when do we get to see some training camp video?

Shades

PostPosted: 04/30/21 1:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
But when do we get to see some training camp video?

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fFJEzOynGJY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/30/21 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thanks Shades. But I want more. Just being impatient.

- Amanda Gorman
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/04/21 8:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From the WABA to France to the WNBA, Shakayla Thomas Is Seizing Her Second Chances
The former Florida State All-American is battling for a roster spot with the Las Vegas Aces
Jenn Hatfield (Her Hoop Stats)
May 4, 2021

But three years later, after two stints playing overseas and the birth of her son Kashton, Thomas signed a training camp contract with the Las Vegas Aces and is currently competing for a roster spot.

Thomas told Her Hoop Stats that her best skill is her ability to attack off the dribble, and she often uses her quickness to get jump shots near the free-throw line or take one dribble and pull up. She has long been known for her athleticism—her high school coach said she could touch the backboard as a sixth-grader, and despite standing just 5-foot-11, she was able to dunk as a junior in high school. But she has expanded her game considerably since college, including by developing a 3-point shot and working on her ball-handling.

https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/shakayla-thomas-wnba-las-vegas-aces

pilight

PostPosted: 05/05/21 6:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aces Add Sugar Rodgers To Coaching Staff

https://aces.wnba.com/news/aces-add-sugar-rodgers-to-coaching-staff/

PostPosted: 05/05/21 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Aces Add Sugar Rodgers To Coaching Staff

https://aces.wnba.com/news/aces-add-sugar-rodgers-to-coaching-staff/

She was a part of the 2013 draft. That seems awfully young to be retiring. But I suppose she saw the writing on the wall with each draft class getting better and better for the next few years.

Are teams supposed to have three assistants?

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/05/21 7:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good for Rodgers!!!

Also rooting for S. Thomas after reading the article (I can be very easy to influence sometimes, oh well).

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 05/05/21 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if it was one of those Carolyn Swords, "But stay in shape, just in case" type of job offers?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
calbearman76

PostPosted: 05/08/21 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The injury to Angel didn't look good. If she is out it could seriously tighten the WNBA race. I still see the Aces as the favorites but this leaves a hole at their weakest position(at least depth-wise). Do they go big with Hamby, small with Williams, or try to fill the hole through trade/waiver.

Shades

PostPosted: 05/08/21 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You left out JYoung.

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 05/08/21 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would definitely go with J Young over Williams. With a starting lineup of Cambage, Wilson, Plum, and Gray, you need someone who can be effective without the ball in her hands. Besides small forward is you know Jackie’s actual position Laughing

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 05/08/21 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
I wonder if it was one of those Carolyn Swords, "But stay in shape, just in case" type of job offers?

Whew Silky, looks like you maybe onto something

calbearman76

PostPosted: 05/08/21 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You're right. Young completely slipped my mind.

Milks26

PostPosted: 05/08/21 11:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope Angel's injury isn't season ending. She's the only reason I'm rooting for the Aces to win the ship. That would be her 5th time if they make it that far.

PostPosted: 05/09/21 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree Bill will likely go with Young at SF, but can see some minutes using Hamby as well. They can't afford to do that very much though because they don't have a great post rotation beyond Liz, Wilson, and Hamby and we can be pretty sure Liz will play less than 30 minutes and likely around 25. If Wilson plays 35, then Hamby could play 15 minutes or so at SF as well as the rest of the post time. Maybe Cannon or Park get 5 minutes.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 05/09/21 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

McCoughtry is my second-favorite player of all time, so it should go without saying that I was not hoping to be right.

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 05/09/21 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Iluvacc wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

McCoughtry is my second-favorite player of all time, so it should go without saying that I was not hoping to be right.

I know Crying or Very sad

xkqqpjc

PostPosted: 05/09/21 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Angel inactive her instagram few minutes ago..hmm....

canadaball

PostPosted: 05/09/21 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
The injury to Angel didn't look good. If she is out it could seriously tighten the WNBA race. I still see the Aces as the favorites but this leaves a hole at their weakest position(at least depth-wise). Do they go big with Hamby, small with Williams, or try to fill the hole through trade/waiver.

A serious injury to Angel will squeeze the Aces roster similar to what is happening in Ct. The top 8 players for LV earn $1,151,209, which leaves team $187,791 under the cap. In order to field 11 woman roster, the last 3 spots must go to very low paid players. Should Angel be lost for extended period, like Ct, with Thomas, the Aces will start season with just 10 healthy players, 3 of whom will be minimum wage types. Thibeau avoided this issue by suspending the injured Clark, but he could do this b/c injury was overseas. I guess the Aces could just squeeze in a veteran minimum (70040) if the other 2 are lowest paid possible (58710),
Jackie Young will probably fill much of Angel's role, but she is a very shaky shooter outside 8 feet. Given the LV power is inside with the best front line trio in W (Cam, Wilson, Hamby), that paint will be awfully congested.
To illustrate the difficulties involved, remember that Plum will miss some games while she goes to Australia for 3x3 Olympic qualifier. I thought that draftee Destiny Slocum might fill a shooting guard role, but her lack of exhibition playing time is a bad sign.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/09/21 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
I guess the Aces could just squeeze in a veteran minimum (70040) if the other 2 are lowest paid possible (58710)

Judging by the minutes distribution of their preseason game, the Aces will be letting go of S. Thomas, Slocum, and Manis. Their roster is shaping up to look like this:

PG: Gray/waiver wire
SG: Plum/Williams
SF: Young/Hamby
PF: Wilson/Cannon
C: Cambage/Park
Injured: McCoughtry

...in which they'd have $70,371 left for likely a vet-min player on the waiver wire – maybe a Boyd or a Brown?

Still, Hamby may not be too effective as a full-time backup SF, so they could opt to get rid of either Cannon or Park as well and find a guard and a true SF on the waiver wire (though the prices would have to be right, of course – one vet-min player + one bare-min player, or two players somewhere in the middle of that range).

PG: Gray/waiver wire
SG: Plum/Williams
SF: Young/waiver wire
PF: Wilson/Hamby
C: Cambage/Cannon or Park
Injured: McCoughtry

And of course, they could opt to keep any one or two of the aforementioned three. But especially without the services of McCoughtry in that game, it was odd not seeing any of the rookies get meaningful minutes, considering it was just a preseason game. Still, they haven't been cut quite yet, so who knows.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/09/21 11:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Prayers for Angel . Her first ACL injury obviously took away that first step but she still found ways to be effective and get her shot off in the bubble , praying it’s not that injury again .

PostPosted: 05/10/21 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/31422693/las-vegas-aces-angel-mccoughtry-miss-season-torn-acl-meniscus

Torn acl. Damn. Sucks to hear this.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 05/10/21 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/31422693/las-vegas-aces-angel-mccoughtry-miss-season-torn-acl-meniscus

Torn acl. Damn. Sucks to hear this.

Well, if there's such a thing as a silver lining to all of this, at least I found out before I spent a dime on League Pass.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 10 of 14

Jump to: