RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Seattle Storm 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Queenie

PostPosted: 05/27/21 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Remember the pregnant H's? Herbert-Harrigan is a double-H so it was inevitable.

Welp, twins incoming I guess.

PostPosted: 05/27/21 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
The Storm just announced that Kiki Herbert Harrigan is pregnant and will miss the remainder of the season. Congrats, Kiki! 🎉

Oh my God! No wonder she hasn't been playing

PostPosted: 05/27/21 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
So there was that whole big horrified discovery by Sue Bird that Mikiah Herbert-Harrigan's mother is her age. And now Herbert-Harrigan is pregnant. By my admittedly shaky use of the transitive property, this means Bird is now old enough to be a grandmother.

I'm not sure whether to be impressed or to picture Bird rapid-fire "nope, nope, nope"ing her way out of the conversation.

(anyway, yes, congratulations to Mikiah and her boyfriend, I'm sorry my brain thinks at weird angles)

Bird is taking the classy road on this one, as one would expect: https://twitter.com/S10Bird/status/1398114773187710982

PostPosted: 05/28/21 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Herbert Harrigan’s $66,555 salary in 2021 counts against the Storm’s salary cap, but she moves to the inactive list and her absence opens up a spot on the 12-player active roster.

In other words, nobody needs to be cut when Samuelson returns.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/28/21 10:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, so now you're just going to rip lines from published articles and not attribute them at all? Classy.

PostPosted: 05/30/21 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

!!!! https://storm.wnba.com/news/dan-hughes-announces-retirement-from-the-wnba/

pilight

PostPosted: 05/30/21 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hughes retiring mid-season makes me think he's got health problems

PostPosted: 05/30/21 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow. I hope he's ok.

That's stunning.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/30/21 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shocked This is quite a surprise. I echo everyone's thoughts regarding his health – I hope his cancer from 2019 hasn't come back, and/or something else hasn't come up as well, despite the press release making no mention of it. Kinda get that vibe though. Sad

Anyway, we'll miss you Coach Hughes! Congrats on retiring (again, I think?), and please live a full & healthy life, for however long it can last.

Noelle Quinn not only taking the reigns (as opposed to 2020 title-winning coach Gary Kloppenburg) but apparently in a non-interim, permanent capacity is its own big surprise. Maybe Klopp just wants to stay an assistant. Anywho, I'm rooting for Quinn and hope she is successful in this big new role, seeing as she appears to have all the player talent & organizational resources around her to thrive.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/30/21 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow didnt see this coming at all. Hopefully he is oke Confused
Very suprised that Quinn gets the nod over an more experienced Klop. Does he want to stay an assistent?

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 05/30/21 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Shocked This is quite a surprise. I echo everyone's thoughts regarding his health – I hope his cancer from 2019 hasn't come back, and/or something else hasn't come up as well, despite the press release making no mention of it. Kinda get that vibe though. Sad

Anyway, we'll miss you Coach Hughes! Congrats on retiring (again, I think?), and please live a full & healthy life, for however long it can last.

Noelle Quinn not only taking the reigns (as opposed to 2020 title-winning coach Gary Kloppenburg) but apparently in a non-interim, permanent capacity is its own big surprise. Maybe Klopp just wants to stay an assistant. Anywho, I'm rooting for Quinn and hope she is successful in this big new role, seeing as she appears to have all the player talent & organizational resources around her to thrive.

I mean, this is an ideal team for a first time HC to take over but, isn't this her first season as an AC? Fantastic for her to get this opportunity. Hopefully she does well.

GEF34

PostPosted: 05/30/21 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

I mean, this is an ideal team for a first time HC to take over but, isn't this her first season as an AC? Fantastic for her to get this opportunity. Hopefully she does well.

She has been part of the Storm coaching staff since 2019, an Assistant Coach in 2019 and Associate Head Coach 2020 till she was named Head Coach.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 05/30/21 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

She has been part of the Storm coaching staff since 2019, an Assistant Coach in 2019 and Associate Head Coach 2020 till she was named Head Coach.

Ok. With the bubble blur, I didn't realize that. Good for her.

GEF34

PostPosted: 05/30/21 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Wow didnt see this coming at all. Hopefully he is oke Confused
Very suprised that Quinn gets the nod over an more experienced Klop. Does he want to stay an assistent?

Here is a quote from an article about last season that could be an answer or at least provide some insight into why things played out the way they did.

Quote:
“At this point of my career, I was honestly very happy just coaching and being an assistant coach with Coach Dan,” Kloppenburg said. “It was a lot of fun, and he let’s you coach and do your thing.

“Honestly, I’m not as ambitious as I was early in my career, but obviously if something came up you’d take a look at it. I’m going to enjoy coaching this team. I’m not as driven to be a head coach anymore.”

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/storm/it-was-difficult-storms-gary-kloppenburg-accepts-chance-to-fill-in-for-dan-hughes-but-feels-for-him/

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 05/30/21 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dan Hughes is one of my favorite coaches of all time… Hope he’s ok Exclamation

Queenie

PostPosted: 05/30/21 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To break something like this on Sunday afternoon of a holiday weekend screams emergency. I wish him nothing but the best.

PostPosted: 05/30/21 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's two years since he's had the day-in, day-out grind of being a WNBA head coach, so hopefully it's just that it only took him a couple of weeks to realise that he's too old for this shit now. But my mind went to the same place as you guys.

PostPosted: 05/30/21 7:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
It's two years since he's had the day-in, day-out grind of being a WNBA head coach, so hopefully it's just that it only took him a couple of weeks to realise that he's too old for this shit now. But my mind went to the same place as you guys.

+1 wishing him the best.

Milks26

PostPosted: 05/30/21 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think its health issues. He's lost some weight. Plus, the timing is beyond wierd

PostPosted: 05/30/21 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happy to share that Hughes' decision was not related to any change in his health. It was just time.

Quote:
"You never know when the right time is," Hughes told ESPN on Sunday. "I have this conversation with a lot of us older coaches. To be honest with you, the time seems to be right. The way that the team has kind of evolved, the reality I think of how I've kind of leaned on Noey and leaned on Klop and how well they work together. When I was talking with ownership, it just seemed like the right moment.

"Honestly, I've thought about it even before the season from the standpoint of it's always been important for me to kind of leave -- knowing this near the end of my career -- leaving it in a better position than I found it. That's just one of the staples of my career. The other is mentoring people and doing those things, especially the former players of mine. It's been something I've thought about for a long time, just wanting to make sure that when the time was right, that there was the ability to kind of hand it off, so to speak."

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/30/21 11:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TDAO wrote:
Happy to share that Hughes' decision was not related to any change in his health. It was just time.

Quote:
"You never know when the right time is," Hughes told ESPN on Sunday. "I have this conversation with a lot of us older coaches. To be honest with you, the time seems to be right. The way that the team has kind of evolved, the reality I think of how I've kind of leaned on Noey and leaned on Klop and how well they work together. When I was talking with ownership, it just seemed like the right moment.

"Honestly, I've thought about it even before the season from the standpoint of it's always been important for me to kind of leave -- knowing this near the end of my career -- leaving it in a better position than I found it. That's just one of the staples of my career. The other is mentoring people and doing those things, especially the former players of mine. It's been something I've thought about for a long time, just wanting to make sure that when the time was right, that there was the ability to kind of hand it off, so to speak."

Thanks for the good news! Smile

PostPosted: 05/31/21 5:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Relieve to hear this Smile

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
pilight

PostPosted: 05/31/21 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sue Bird and Candice Dupree are older than Noelle Quinn. The league hasn't had a player older than their head coach since 2007, when Yolanda Griffith was older than Jenny Boucek.

PostPosted: 06/04/21 8:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Courtside with Sue Bird

https://courtside.substack.com/p/courtside-with-sue-bird

Quote:
It’s pretty much the same every time. Do this then, do that then, boppity-bop-bop-bop.

PostPosted: 06/05/21 12:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
TDAO wrote:

Quote:

Thanks for the good news! :)

I hope that his retirement was due to nothing more than the "right time", but nowhere in that article does Hughes discuss his health much less deny that his sudden retirement decision was health related.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 22 of 26

Jump to: