RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Seattle Storm 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/13/21 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

did we forget Burke

and if so who gets cut when Prince and Russell return?

I like your line up Shades but going to stick with mine for now but can definitely see Magbegor starting. If anything I could see Magbegor's development as a big part of the reason they were OK with moving on from Howard (whether it was their choice or not)

so

Bird/Canada/Williams
Lod/Burke/(Prince)
KLS/Talbot
Dupree/MHH
Stewart/Magbegor/(Russell)

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 05/13/21 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I think if Bird is back at max next year, they won't be able to afford Canada who will be looking for a big salary increase, like Whitcomb did. OTOH if Bird retires, Seattle should be able to afford to keep her. So it's fairly likely one or the other will be there, but very unlikely both will be.

I don't think Seattle has waived Gorecki, at least not that I've seen. They waived Laksa, right? edit: ok, I see they waived Gorecki as well.

I'm not sure what kind of salary increase Canada will want next year, but she is in a very different situation than Whitcomb. We don't know what Whitcomb was looking for. The Storm traded her to NY, which means she signed her current contract with the Storm. Obviously the $150k figure came from NY. The Storm is not going to pay that much for a player to backup Loyd. The amount the Storm could have afforded to pay her to stay might have been insulting in comparison.

Canada is getting penciled in as Seattle's future starting point guard, and the future is coming sooner than later. I hope she has enough patience to see the opportunity she has here in Seattle. Also, remember, this year Bird was willing to sign for less depending on how free agency played out for the Storm. So I wouldn't pencil her in for the max next year.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/13/21 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bcdawg04 wrote:
I'm not sure what kind of salary increase Canada will want next year, but she is in a very different situation than Whitcomb. We don't know what Whitcomb was looking for. The Storm traded her to NY, which means she signed her current contract with the Storm. Obviously the $150k figure came from NY. The Storm is not going to pay that much for a player to backup Loyd. The amount the Storm could have afforded to pay her to stay might have been insulting in comparison.

Canada is getting penciled in as Seattle's future starting point guard, and the future is coming sooner than later. I hope she has enough patience to see the opportunity she has here in Seattle. Also, remember, this year Bird was willing to sign for less depending on how free agency played out for the Storm. So I wouldn't pencil her in for the max next year.

+1 to all of what you said, but particularly the last part. While this will truly be a contract year for Canada in every sense, Bird will not necessarily handcuff us on the cap. She’s flexible, she has said. That flexibility wasn’t needed this year, but next year could make it so we actually fit in the upcoming free agent class. Meanwhile, various people have thought that New York overpaid for Howard & Whitcomb money-wise, and I don’t necessarily disagree.

Queenie

PostPosted: 05/13/21 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Shades wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
craigmont wrote:
Kiana Williams is 5'8" 135. What other position is she gonna play?

If you didn’t watch her at Stanford, she clearly played both on the ball (PG) and off the ball (SG) this past season. And in the W, some teams have undersized SGs on their roster if those players have the shooting ability to compensate for their lack of size. (Las Vegas’ Riquna Williams at 5’7 is a prime example of this.) Hell, we’ve seen the Storm trot out a Canada-Bird-Loyd lineup from time to time.

That reminds me of the recent Mike Petersen quote about Carter, Williams, McDonald, and Sims, "We have four point-guard-sized humans." But he argued they could play together in various combinations.

It’s one thing to have 4 PG-sized humans, and quite another to win with 4 PG-sized humans.

What about four point-guard-sized Martians?

Then you get a Space Jam spinoff.

(now with spelling variations)
Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/14/21 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
bcdawg04 wrote:

+1 to all of what you said, but particularly the last part. While this will truly be a contract year for Canada in every sense, Bird will not necessarily handcuff us on the cap. She’s flexible, she has said. That flexibility wasn’t needed this year, but next year could make it so we actually fit in the upcoming free agent class. Meanwhile, various people have thought that New York overpaid for Howard & Whitcomb money-wise, and I don’t necessarily disagree.

Dont forget that we signed Dupree to a pretty high 1 year contract. I doubt that she is going to be on our roster next season so we can use that salary for the salary increases from Stewie, Canada and Russell. Also i would be suprised if Canada would sign everywhere else. Bird is going to retire sooner then later so she will a chance to be our starting PG. On what other team is she going to start?

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
pilight

PostPosted: 05/14/21 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Bird is going to retire sooner then later so she will a chance to be our starting PG

Storm backup PGs have been hearing that song for a long time

PostPosted: 05/14/21 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
Bird is going to retire sooner then later so she will a chance to be our starting PG

Storm backup PGs have been hearing that song for a long time

She will be backup with every other team aswell. So why not continue to learn from the best pg ever

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
bcdawg04

PostPosted: 05/14/21 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When was the last time we had a backup PG that we considered as a legitimate candidate to succeed Bird? For several years, the talk was that when the time came we would likely fill that role through free agency.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/19/21 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's a little concerning to see both Burke (essentially traded a 2021 1RP for) and Herbert Harrigan (traded a 2022 1RP for) only get minutes in garbage time thus far – even if the season is still very young.

Burke hopefully gets integrated into the rotation with Samuelson away, but how will it go when Samuelson returns? I don't see us cutting Talbot at this point. I also noticed Samuelson & Talbot getting a smidge of playing time together towards the end of the 3Q, with one at the 2 (seemed to be Talbot) and one at the 3. And Burke has at least sort of been considered a guard historically, so perhaps she herself can get some minutes at the 3 as well as the 2 if Prince gets used at both the 1 and the 2. She is our "shortest" SF after all at 6'1, and wouldn't be too oversized at the 2 spot imo.

As for Herbert Harrigan, the fight for minutes won't get any easier when Russell comes back. But if Dupree is gonna remain largely ineffective as the season goes on, I really hope Herbert Harrigan will be given a chance at a bigger role than what she has now. She may not be experienced, but imo she has just enough tools (such as outside shooting & scrappiness) to carve out a role – perhaps a similar one to what Dupree has.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/19/21 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Prince and Russell have been activated. Samuelson has been temporarily suspended.

PostPosted: 05/20/21 3:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Talbot keeps up her good play in the next few games with KLS gone then its going to be Williams that's cut when KLS gets back.

They wouldnt dare to cut Burke right Shocked

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/20/21 11:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is Kiki even with the team? what's her story?

Davis4632

PostPosted: 05/21/21 12:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Is Kiki even with the team? what's her story?

I read on her Fanduel profile that she is having passport issues.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/21/21 7:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Herbert Harrigan is there. She made a brief appearance in garbage time on Tuesday night. But she did have visa issues like several players, so missed a lot of camp, which probably left her behind in terms of making an impression. If they consider her a post she's obviously further down the pecking order now Russell has arrived (if she's considered a 3, or both, then the KLS absence might give her a chance).

PostPosted: 05/21/21 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sue Bird is the only player in the W who was playing the last time we had a 32 game season

PostPosted: 05/27/21 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Storm just announced that Kiki Herbert Harrigan is pregnant and will miss the remainder of the season. Congrats, Kiki! 🎉

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 05/27/21 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
The Storm just announced that Kiki Herbert Harrigan is pregnant and will miss the remainder of the season. Congrats, Kiki! 🎉

Quote:
Harrigan: “I’m excited to announce that I am expecting! I’m very much looking forward to motherhood and starting a family with my boyfriend, Stanford...

At the risk of being problematic, Kiki Herbert Harrigan totally looks like a woman who would have a boyfriend named Stanford.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
pilight

PostPosted: 05/27/21 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder how far along she is. Players have been known to play through month five.

PostPosted: 05/27/21 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I wonder how far along she is. Players have been known to play through month five.

She played right at the end of the Storm’s second game vs. the Aces during garbage time, fwiw. She got her “year” of service in with that one appearance! Twisted Evil

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/27/21 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
pilight wrote:

She played right at the end of the Storm’s second game vs. the Aces during garbage time, fwiw. She got her “year” of service in with that one appearance! Twisted Evil

I believe you only need to be on the roster for a game to get the year of service, rather than actually play. That minute does make sure she's eligible for Merit Bonuses, though (money you get for each round of the playoffs).

PostPosted: 05/27/21 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
pilight wrote:

I believe you only need to be on the roster for a game to get the year of service, rather than actually play. That minute does make sure she's eligible for Merit Bonuses, though (money you get for each round of the playoffs).

I had a feeling that the 1:13 she was in that one game for would make a difference nonetheless. Wink Really not a bad time for her to choose to start a family, since we should be somewhat committed to her considering we traded a 2022 1RP to get her (so in that way, she has a little bit of job security), but more importantly, she wasn’t gonna get a whole lot of minutes this year anyway. Depending on when the baby’s due, she may be able to get back to playing in time for training camp next spring.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/27/21 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Probably a decent chance that whoever that pick you traded for her turns out to be plays in a WNBA game before she does at this point.

PostPosted: 05/27/21 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ In terms of the trade, what's done is done. Yeah, it probably has less of a chance of panning out well than the Samuelson trade at this point (considering Charli Collier isn't exactly lighting it up these days). Still, it's not Herbert Harrigan's fault that she got traded into a crowded post rotation here – assuming one thinks of her as a 4 rather than a 3, which I do. I'm also looking at her absence for the season in a glass-half-full kind of way, in that she doesn't get the chance to look bad, so she's able to retain some of her promise/potential in that way (again, whether y'all agree or not that she still has potential is its own debatable point). And honestly, it's better to hear that she's missing the season for a happy reason rather than an injury, which would've been made it that much more deflating. I'm tired of hearing about bad injuries/bad news in general, considering we're not even into June yet.

Queenie

PostPosted: 05/27/21 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So there was that whole big horrified discovery by Sue Bird that Mikiah Herbert-Harrigan's mother is her age. And now Herbert-Harrigan is pregnant. By my admittedly shaky use of the transitive property, this means Bird is now old enough to be a grandmother.

I'm not sure whether to be impressed or to picture Bird rapid-fire "nope, nope, nope"ing her way out of the conversation.

(anyway, yes, congratulations to Mikiah and her boyfriend, I'm sorry my brain thinks at weird angles)

(now with spelling variations)
root_thing

PostPosted: 05/27/21 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Remember the pregnant H's? Herbert-Harrigan is a double-H so it was inevitable.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 21 of 26

Jump to: