Board Junkies Forums

Seattle Storm 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ucbart

PostPosted: 05/06/21 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bcdawg04 wrote:
Seattle Storm welcomes back limited number of fans to home games in 2021

Limited attendance at Angel of the Winds Arena, available only to season ticket holders. Most of the seating will be vaccinated sections, but there will be a small number of unvaccinated sections.

Season ticket holders are also given the option to "opt out" and defer to 2022. I don't really plan on attending the games in Everett anyway. I'm hopeful, though, that the new arena in Seattle will be available for the playoffs so the Storm can officially open it. We have two new banners to hang in our new arena.

Vaccinated and unvaccinated sections? That is just ridiculous.

Queenie

PostPosted: 05/06/21 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You're right. Irresponsible knuckleheads who won't get vaccinated shouldn't get to go to games at all. Arrangements can be made for people who are too young or too immunocompromised to get the vaccine.

(now with spelling variations)
Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/06/21 10:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Irresponsible knuckleheads who won't get vaccinated shouldn't get to go to games at all. Arrangements can be made for people who are too young or too immunocompromised to get the vaccine.

+1. As a matter of public health & safety, we as a society shouldn't be so accommodating to *sigh* anti-vaxxers, or even people who are just forever-hesitant to get the covid vaccine. That kind of unnecessary accommodation being done everywhere could very well lead to future public health issues, particularly come the winter time.

ucbart

PostPosted: 05/07/21 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Irresponsible knuckleheads who won't get vaccinated shouldn't get to go to games at all. Arrangements can be made for people who are too young or too immunocompromised to get the vaccine.

+1. As a matter of public health & safety, we as a society shouldn't be so accommodating to *sigh* anti-vaxxers, or even people who are just forever-hesitant to get the covid vaccine. That kind of unnecessary accommodation being done everywhere could very well lead to future public health issues, particularly come the winter time.

Rolling Eyes

Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/07/21 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

...Anywho, I’m just gonna keep believing that covid-19 is not only deadlier but a bigger threat to the long-term health/quality of life of a person (of any age) than any given covid-19 vaccine out there is. Call me crazy. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

SCook

PostPosted: 05/07/21 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
...Anywho, I’m just gonna keep believing that covid-19 is not only deadlier but a bigger threat to the long-term health/quality of life of a person (of any age) than any given covid-19 vaccine out there is. Call me crazy. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Nothing's wrong with that. However..... Everyone does not want to be vaccinated and that is their choice. Many people have fears around the Covid-19 vaccines the same way others have it around Covid-19.

PostPosted: 05/07/21 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SCook wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Nothing's wrong with that. However..... Everyone does not want to be vaccinated and that is their choice. Many people have fears around the Covid-19 vaccines the same way others have it around Covid-19.

Fears that no amount of logic and science seem capable of assuaging. Fears born out of misinformation and "feelings" and Facebook posts.

Sorry, those fears are not legitimate and should not be tolerated or encouraged. People are entitled not to get a vaccine, but they should be left behind at this point.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 05/07/21 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

Not crazy. Not one bit. I had a moderate case of Covid a year ago, then received Pfizer 1 & 2 in January and February. There is no comparison. I have stayed WELL away from indoor venues since then.

Sorry, Bart. I love you but you're on the very wrong side of this.

Around here, the community has supported local restaurants through weekly neighborhood ordering, with free delivery into each neighborhood. I have participated as I'm financially able to do so. I VERY much miss gatherings of my gang of friends, which includes immune compromised people. Only if all of us who can be vaccinated, get both shots and practice behaviors known to drastically reduce spread of infection - only then will these friends (& millions of others) be able to safely leave their homes.

~rAf
SCook

PostPosted: 05/07/21 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
SCook wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Fears that no amount of logic and science seem capable of assuaging. Fears born out of misinformation and "feelings" and Facebook posts.

Sorry, those fears are not legitimate and should not be tolerated or encouraged. People are entitled not to get a vaccine, but they should be left behind at this point.

None of the individuals on my caseload at the NJDOH have expressed fear around vaccinations because of what they saw on facebook. For some, the apprehension is from historical occurences and how the government has treated certain groups (i.e. those who are older African American/ black individuals).

I'm sure there are conspiracy theorists who are choosing not to because of social media information. However, everyone is not lumped into that category.

PostPosted: 05/07/21 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So because of something heinous that occured 50 years ago that was specifically targeted at a group of black individuals, they're "feelings" are more important than the actual science here? The way the medical community has treated African Americans is appalling. This is not that and I think it's harmful to those same individuals to give that fear validity. It's okay to be fearful and mistrustful but it is not okay to placate those fears when the science does not support it.

I'm near Philadelphia where the black doctors consortium is desperately trying to work with older black folks who are resistant. Their apprehensions, although rooted in historical atrocities, are still just based on "feelings" just like the anti vac wine moms on Facebook and rooted in zero evidence.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 05/07/21 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Rolling Eyes

I put myself through voluntary social isolation for 14 months before being given the right and priviledge to be vaccinated just over a week ago. I won't be attenting any live games this season, but if I did and I found out a person sitting in my section hadn't been vaxxinated I would leave immediately.

PostPosted: 05/07/21 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
So because of something heinous that occured 50 years ago that was specifically targeted at a group of black individuals, they're "feelings" are more important than the actual science here? The way the medical community has treated African Americans is appalling. This is not that and I think it's harmful to those same individuals to give that fear validity. It's okay to be fearful and mistrustful but it is not okay to placate those fears when the science does not support it.

I'm near Philadelphia where the black doctors consortium is desperately trying to work with older black folks who are resistant. Their apprehensions, although rooted in historical atrocities, are still just based on "feelings" just like the anti vac wine moms on Facebook and rooted in zero evidence.

Interesting. So essentially, you are saying that the historical occurences that black people have faced should not be valid in their view of treatments approved by the government..... because of science. Okay. I mean science was around when those heinuous acts were committed and that didn't stop what happened or what continues to happen. But I digress.

PostPosted: 05/07/21 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The only people this logic hurts is the very vulnerable people you are trying to protect and that is the tragedy here. The Covid vaccine is not a targeted racial attack.

This isn't the place for this discussion so I'll shut up now.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/07/21 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I dont know if this is still Seattle Storm related

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 05/07/21 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
I dont know if this is still Seattle Storm related

I just assumed some want to challenge the Liberty thread for length.

~rAf
willtalk

PostPosted: 05/07/21 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Negative reactions to the vacines are not just rumors and they are not very often reported. I had an older friend who a red web looking rash appear on his body after his second shot that lingered for some time. Even worse my 59 yaar old nephew died right after his second shot. His entire body turned a bluish purple. They held up his funeral for two weeks while they did an autopsy and researched his medical history. He did have medical issues but nothing that would make him die so suddenly and turn blue.

While I am sure that for the majority of people the vacine is relatively safe, but not everyones metabolism reacts the same to different types of medications. The tests they run on new treatments are usually longer and more extensive. They really rushed these vacines out. I guess people have ot make their choices based on the lesser of two evils. However, to claim that they are absolutely safe for everyone is a stretch.

PostPosted: 05/08/21 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The pre-season game is today!

The starters will be Bird, Loyd, either Talbot or Young (yet to be decided), Dupree, and Magbegor. Apparently, Hughes wants to see Burke come off the bench alongside Canada here, but he has also said that Burke is still in contention for winning the starting SF job in the long-run.

Candice Dupree was asked which of the young players has stood out to her, and she mentioned Haley Gorecki as perhaps the one who has impressed her the most – though she also mentioned Kiana Williams and Brittany Brown (not Kitija Laksa though! 🤫). All guards who can play defense... and no mention of the young post players of the group that Dupree probably mentors/goes up against in practice, which seems noteworthy.

For what it's worth, Hughes also somewhat echoed Dupree's sentiments about Gorecki when he was asked to respond to Dupree's glowing remarks about Gorecki, calling her "an incredible shooter." Still, it appears as though whoever can bring "size, defense, rebounding, and physicality" the best will have the best odds at snagging a spot. Today and Monday's matchups against Phoenix will be crucial for players to showcase those traits.

While it's probably not a good thing in actuality, it is exciting that this is probably the most wide-open the roster has been in a while regarding players trying to make the team. It's just terribly unfortunate (even if it is more of the same from this League) that none of us can watch these preseason games & judge them for ourselves. Crying or Very sad Boxscore or bust, I suppose.

(Thanks to Storm Chasers and Percy Allen for providing these tidbits of course.)

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 05/08/21 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I totally missed that Dupree went to Seattle. Has anyone confirmed if this will be shown on league Pass? I'm assuming not.

craigmont

PostPosted: 05/08/21 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/storm/jordin-canada-has-soared-with-the-storm-with-a-contract-year-on-the-horizon-shes-just-focused-on-taking-seattle-to-new-heights/?utm_source=marketingcloud&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=SNA_050821172835%20Jordin%20Canada%27s%20focus%20is%20on%20Storm%27s%20next%20title%2C%20not%20her%20next%20contract_5_8_2021&utm_term=Active%20subscriber&fbclid=IwAR2OWFyRIZq3NEzUr4IM5GzRfGGV_IXHuPhrg3ymActzm_LZ4B9MIApQEpI#comments

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/10/21 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

what a logjam at the three! Looks like they simply loaded up on everybody available. How many will stay on the team?
KLS, Young, Burke, Herbert-Harrigan, Talbot, Laksa, and Gorecki.
I guess some of them can play the two as well.

And where is Prince. Do we really think she's a lock to make the team?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/10/21 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Turkish Finals, and yeah, I think so. They wouldn't have given her that contract otherwise. I think she only gets cut if she's dropped out of the rotation by midseason - I don't think it happens in preseason.

PostPosted: 05/10/21 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Storm waive Brittany Brown and Peyton Williams

so still nothing to address the SF logjam.

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/10/21 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Turkish Finals, and yeah, I think so. They wouldn't have given her that contract otherwise. I think she only gets cut if she's dropped out of the rotation by midseason - I don't think it happens in preseason.

I guess she provides the backup backup PG as well as SG. I thought she was older than she is - 'only' 33. Just wondering what they will be doing next year - will Birdy finally retire after the Olympics and will they have money to afford Canada? So I guess Prince's two year contract provides some assurance there as well.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 05/10/21 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is what I thought was going to happen a couple of weeks ago

Bird/Canada/Williams
Loyd/Prince
KLS/Burke
Dupree/Magbegor/Herbert-Harrigan
Stewart/Russell

Though I was never completely convinced because IMO Talbot, Young and to a lesser extent Laksa are very real options to beat out Burke and Herbert-Harrigan. I realize they traded for Burke and Herbert-Harrigan but Talbot and Young have the goods to out perform them IMO and have an experience level that Seattle might appreciate as I believe they are still they to contend now. The Storm also used a first round pick on Laksa I realize part of that was because she was a deferral but it doesn't mean they didn't consider her an true contender for the roster in future seasons.

My guess ATM would be

Bird/Canada/Williams
Loyd/Prince
KLS/Talbot
Dupree/Magbegor
Stewart/Russell

one spot left for Young, Herbert-Harrigan, Burke, Young or Laksa

Talbot can play the 3/4 similar to Herbert-Harrigan so I don't think a fifth post is needed, Talbot has performed very well in camp it appears and she just strikes me as a Storm type of player, I will be surprised if she doesn't make the final roster ATP.

It is also possible that two of the above can make it if The Storm don't see Williams as a future option at PG with Canada post Bird as Loyd and Prince can probably offer coverage at that spot this year behind Bird and Canada, but my assumption is Williams is kept and groomed to move up the depth chart at the PG spot post Bird and Bird did rest a lot last season so management might want another option beside Prince as a 3rd string point this season.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/11/21 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Let’s see Laksa bring that kind of scoring on Monday in the informal rematch (where the Merc will be hungry to win, I imagine), let alone against actual WNBA players in the regular season.

And as it turned out, Laksa was indeed a little quieter in the rematch – she also got less minutes. Gorecki meanwhile continued her efficiency from distance, even scoring in double-figures. I know who I'd pick.

Williams carried over her volume-shooter mindset from Saturday's matchup. That's not a role that'll help her make the team imo, so she would have to be slightly retrained to be a little more selective as a shot-taker moving forward. I wish we knew how she or anyone was doing defensively.

If Talbot and Young are indeed fighting for a single spot, I'd pick Talbot, just because we traded Whitcomb for her. Really though, it's hard to say if whoever wins this battle will actually still be on the team a month into the season.

And none of the young post players got many minutes. As expected, it's looking like we won't keep any of them. The question is, would we pick up a post on the waiver wire if Hughes doesn't like the idea of only having three posts on opening night? I wouldn't be surprised. It'll be super interesting to see who becomes available this year.

Last edited by Stormeo on 05/11/21 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 19 of 26

Jump to: