RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Seattle Storm 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/27/21 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
If y'all are playing mad Kiki more than 5 minutes/game, you're in trouble.

Laughing Fwiw, I was thinking more like 10 minutes/game... Embarassed Unless players get injured, where would they find more time for her this year anyway? Especially if we keep an extra SF behind Samuelson & Burke. She might only appear in garbage times anyway.

myrtle wrote:
Quote:
“For me personally, Day 1 was fun being out there with veteran players and people that can think the game and play high-IQ basketball,” said Dupree, who spent the past four years in Indiana

hmmm a comment on Indiana?

and really it shows how much the writer knows when he says Dupree may be tasked with guarding Griner... Laughing Laughing

Yeah, I don't think Percy Allen's a great Storm reporter. Why Jayda Evans got reassigned to cover other sports years back, I don't know. You could tell she actually understood the team she was covering.

No one would be, and no one has been, exclusively guarding a player like Griner one-on-one on this team. Let's get that straight. Sending a double team on her when possible is much more effective cuz she's still such a shaky passer when she gets doubled. Most posts that size are. Dupree will simply not be guarding any 5s one-on-one, as she's not even good at guarding any 4s one-on-one. Razz

As for Dupree's comment, I still don't get why she stayed in Indiana the past four years. As it is, I don't know what motivates anyone currently with the Fever who's been in the League longer than a couple years to not demand out... Confused

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/28/21 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
myrtle wrote:
and really it shows how much the writer knows when he says Dupree may be tasked with guarding Griner... Laughing Laughing

Yeah, I don't think Percy Allen's a great Storm reporter. Why Jayda Evans got reassigned to cover other sports years back, I don't know. You could tell she actually understood the team she was covering.

Jayda Evans provided great coverage of the Storm, balancing game recaps with features and other stories of interest.

And she used to hang out with the Mercury Brigade on Storm road trips to Phoenix.

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 04/28/21 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jayda Evans' coverage for the Storm was fantastic. Her college coverage was lacking. I wonder if ST decided to have just one person covering basketball.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/28/21 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Evans covers the Sounders these days. I would imagine that was considered a promotion, so it was probably that she was too good at her job covering the Storm.

PostPosted: 04/28/21 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Evans covers the Sounders these days. I would imagine that was considered a promotion, so it was probably that she was too good at her job covering the Storm.

I still rememember her article claiming T Wright should have been MVP one year. Kind of diminished her credibility for me at least.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/30/21 2:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Storm wing Kitija Laksa could be WNBA’s third Latvian player ever, but she’s no lock for the 2021 roster.

Quote:
“She’s battling for a spot,” coach Dan Hughes said during a Zoom call on Thursday. “We’ve been really up front with that. It’s not like it’s one spot. There are opportunities at a couple of spots, but she knew coming in that training camp was important to her to present the reasons why she should be on the team.” ...

“She obviously [is] an excellent catch and shoot and one-bounce finisher,” Hughes said. ...

However, Laksa’s ability to digest and perfect the Storm’s trapping defense may ultimately determine if she remains with the team.

“That’s the thing I’m working very hard on,” she said. “(Hughes) has pointed out to me there has been progress.”

In six EuroLeague games with TTT Riga this past season (all losses), Laksa shot just 34% from the field, but 40% from 3. But predictably, it's her defensive competency that will determine whether or not she earns a spot.

Though I didn't think there were opportunities at "a couple of spots" on our perimeter. I'm hoping Samuelson gets partial-season suspended as a result of being in the 3x3 Qualifiers, and we buy ourselves more time to figure out who exactly this team needs (and if we already have them on the roster or not).

Stanford standout Kiana Williams is a longshot to make the Storm’s roster. But she’s excited for the chance to prove she belongs.

Whatever the definition of "hype pieces" are, these articles are like the opposite of them, which I low-key appreciate. Razz Most likely, the Storm amongst other teams will end up cutting all their camp bodies anyway and rely on the waiver-wire (or a last-minute deal) to bring in someone intriguing.

Quote:
“We tried to be very upfront with a lot of players, including Ki about the reality that they got to play themselves on the team,” coach Dan Hughes said. “There’s no automatic opportunity here.”

Conceivably, Williams’ big test will be the Storm’s first exhibition game at Phoenix on May 8, assuming she’s still with the team. ...

The odds are against Williams securing one of the Storm’s coveted 12 roster spots and yet she believes being selected by Seattle has been a “blessing.”

“I felt like I got drafted in the perfect situation for me,” Williams said. “I have the opportunity to learn from Sue Bird, one of the greatest point guards ever to play the game... They were saying it’s a point guard’s draft and I felt like I won because I’m in the best situation.

Welllllll, that would seem to contradict Percy Allen's own account of witnessing Williams get drafted to the Storm, but maybe she has convinced herself at this point that this is where she was destined to be.

As it is, Williams has two-way potential (unlike Laksa), and imo she's at least as good a shooter as Laksa – maybe even better. It's incredibly unlikely, but I would loooooove it if Williams were to make it over not only Laksa but Prince in particular. As someone who plays the same positions as those two, Williams is cheaper, has more potential, and certainly has more years of team control – and these are facets that seem to be more crucial these days than ever. Plus imo, it's about time the Storm kept & developed one of our own later-round draftees – why can't this be the year it happens? 🙏🏼

Last edited by Stormeo on 04/30/21 2:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Michelle89

PostPosted: 04/30/21 2:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bird is going to miss games this season. We all know that. So i rather have Prince back up Canada at the point in those games then a rookie..

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/30/21 8:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Bird is going to miss games this season. We all know that. So i rather have Prince back up Canada at the point in those games then a rookie..

But with Whitcomb gone, Prince is also on the roster as the primary backup for Loyd. So it's not hugely unreasonable to keep both (especially when your starting PG is 40 years old and frequently injured). Personally, I would keep both because I'm not convinced that Canada is good enough to be their 'point guard of the future' when Bird actually retires, and I'd like to give Williams the chance to make not re-signing Canada next offseason an option.

PostPosted: 04/30/21 9:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IMO Epiphanny Prince is simply past her expiration date as a WNBA player. She hasn't put up decent numbers since maybe 2018, and rookies on the Storm roster aside, there are better options for a backup PG with pro experience out there – some of whom should be available by the time rosters get cut down.

Randy

PostPosted: 04/30/21 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is the team that couldn't afford to sign Clark, Whitcomb or Howard, but could waste 285k on Prince and Dupree so anything could happen.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/30/21 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bird is the closest 'model' I could think of for Kiana. Their styles are quite similar. The main thing for Kiana is to work on not getting too into her head and just let it flow. She has the tools but sometimes can get rattled.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/30/21 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Remaining Turkish semi just got tied up at 2-2, by the way, so their season just got slightly longer again. Even if Galatasaray lose Game 5 of the semi, Prince will barely participate in the Storm's camp. If they win she won't be there at all.

So she's probably not getting cut, because she won't even be there to be judged or compared against anyone.

PostPosted: 04/30/21 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
This is the team that couldn't afford to sign Clark, Whitcomb or Howard, but could waste 285k on Prince and Dupree so anything could happen.

I'm sure you know this isn't fair. Aside from Howard, who we know they were willing to core, we don't know how much they offered these players and how much Clark and Howard simply wanted a change of scenery. More than that, the Storm's concerns with the salary cap are primarily about 2022 when Canada, Lloyd, Russell and Stewart all get raises. One-year deals for Dupree and Prince don't affect that at all.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/30/21 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They gave Piph two years, would be my only additional note on that. Non-guaranteed, so we get to go through the same "if they get cut..." stuff with her next year that we had this year with Langhorne and Tuck.

PostPosted: 04/30/21 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for correcting that. It was so much fun this year, why not run it back!

Shades

PostPosted: 04/30/21 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m not buying that Howard wanted a “change of scenery”. She got tired of winning championships too easily and wanted more of a challenge? I say she wanted a change in her bank account. The Liberty could afford to make her priority #1 and did that by giving her a 4 year deal worth nearly $1 million guaranteed. In Seattle, Stewart is priority #1. Howard would have been #2 or #3.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
TDAO

PostPosted: 04/30/21 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The (super)max is the max, so the Storm's core offer was for more than Howard will make this year. It's possible Howard wanted a longer offer than the Storm were willing to make. It's also possible she wanted to play a role more similar to the one she did in 2019 when she was All-WNBA First Team than the one she did in 2018 or last season alongside a healthy Stewart.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/30/21 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Bird is the closest 'model' I could think of for Kiana. Their styles are quite similar. The main thing for Kiana is to work on not getting too into her head and just let it flow. She has the tools but sometimes can get rattled.

It took a while for my synapses to reconnect after trying to fit Sue Bird and Kianna Williams in the same thought.

PostPosted: 04/30/21 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
myrtle wrote:

It took a while for my synapses to reconnect after trying to fit Sue Bird and Kianna Williams in the same thought.

They're both smart and think the game really well.
They're both very deliberate in what they do.
Their demeanor on the court is similar - very business like and relatively low key.
They're both very much quarterbacks and looked up to by their teammates.
They can both shoot from three and shoot pullups.
They have both made great end of game shots when their teams needed them.
So yeah, I see a lot of similarities in their game.
Bird obviously has a bazillion more years of experience.
Kiana will be better defensively.
Bird is a fabulous passer. I think Kiana can be a very good passer and has shown glimpses of it, but with the type of offense Stanford runs she didn't have as much chance to show it.
In general, she's a totally different type of player than Jordin Canada.
JMO of course.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 05/01/21 12:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't mind your comparison, myrtle. Y'know, I ended up coming around to Kiana Williams. She's still a streaky shot-maker, which will likely make or break her W career (or at least if she'll make this roster). But I learned that you had to have watched her at Stanford – and not just the game she's playing in, but particularly her – to understand that her strengths lie with the intangibles. She knows when to pass (and when not to), she plays good fundamental defense, and she can run the offense off the ball – even when her shots aren't falling.

I'm also skeptical that TVD & Stanford was a good place for Williams to develop overall. Statistically, she was the same player her entire four years, for better or worse. I got the feeling that Stanford's controlled style of play possibly held her back a bit from reaching her potential, considering she was a top recruit back in her class.

Overall, I'd like to see what she can do under a drastic change of scenery like going from college to the pros – new coaches, new system, and a new mentality that I think could be really good for her. I hope we give her a full season's worth of a chance.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 05/01/21 1:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Kiana, IF she makes the team, needs to prove first and foremost that she can catch and shoot from outside. It's her strongest pro-level skill at this point and she's not going to get the same looks off the bounce that she did at Stanford. If she isn't a 3-point sniper I don't see her lasting. Canada doesn't have the shot (yet) but she has more of what you want in a young point guard. Stronger upper and lower body, more explosive from rim to rim, better passer. I'm not against Williams making the team but if Seattle is looking for someone to replace Canada as the hair apparent at point guard, Kiana Willams isn't it.

PostPosted: 05/01/21 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
I think Kiana, IF she makes the team, needs to prove first and foremost that she can catch and shoot from outside. It's her strongest pro-level skill at this point and she's not going to get the same looks off the bounce that she did at Stanford. If she isn't a 3-point sniper I don't see her lasting. Canada doesn't have the shot (yet) but she has more of what you want in a young point guard. Stronger upper and lower body, more explosive from rim to rim, better passer. I'm not against Williams making the team but if Seattle is looking for someone to replace Canada as the heir apparent at point guard, Kiana Willams isn't it.

Which imo isn't a bad thing since she wasn't great at making those. She was great at taking shots within the flow of Stanford's offense, though. She'd presumably get some open looks playing as an unproven rookie.

The thing about Williams though is that she can play both on and off the ball pretty effectively imo – she was really the starting SG for Stanford this past year with the emergence of Anna Wilson, after all. And because she isn't a straight-up liability on defense, the long-term vision for Williams could be coming off the bench and either backing up Canada and/or backing up the 2 and playing alongside Canada, where they could both hold their own defensively despite their respective heights. Current talks of Williams eventually challenging/replacing Canada for the starting PG spot in the post-Bird era are realistically quite premature (@ myself lol), though it would be fabulous – and fascinating – if that point were to get reached. IMO Williams shares a couple traits of Bird (3PT shooting, leadership) and Canada (short but quick) that makes her a little similar but more so different overall to both players, which is a good thing. Canada wasn't developed to be a direct Bird clone (who could be?), so Williams theoretically wouldn't be developed to be a direct clone of either Bird or Canada. I just want to see Williams given a chance. Odds are that it won't pan out, but I think there's enough potential within her to where it might.

Feels weird to say good things about Williams after not saying good things about her for a while. Razz

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 05/02/21 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Breanna Stewart engaged. Sorry if I missed it posted already.

https://people.com/sports/wnba-star-breanna-stewart-engaged-to-marta-xargay-casademont/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
bcdawg04

PostPosted: 05/05/21 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seattle Storm welcomes back limited number of fans to home games in 2021

Limited attendance at Angel of the Winds Arena, available only to season ticket holders. Most of the seating will be vaccinated sections, but there will be a small number of unvaccinated sections.

Season ticket holders are also given the option to "opt out" and defer to 2022. I don't really plan on attending the games in Everett anyway. I'm hopeful, though, that the new arena in Seattle will be available for the playoffs so the Storm can officially open it. We have two new banners to hang in our new arena.

IM in OC

PostPosted: 05/06/21 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice block by the MVP of the Spanish League playoffs

https://twitter.com/sams3344/status/1390387791247200260

Avenida won 75-61

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 18 of 26

Jump to: