Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/07/21 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
JThomas, January, Hiedeman and JJones all shoot threes, at around league average or better. Smalls too, if she cracks the rotation. With JJones basically replacing AThomas, it's a better three-point shooting team than the one that was a game away from the Finals last season. They're gonna have some issues, but I'm not convinced that that's the biggest one.

All may be close to average, but according to HerHoopStats, the Sun were 11th in the league in three-point percentage and 10th in points from three-pointers.

And I don't see any upgrade on the roster.

Apart from the All-Star center who shoots 39% from three for her career and finished 3rd in MVP voting in her last WNBA season?

For her career, Jones averages 0.9 three-pointers made per game. Percentage alone does not tell the story.

Indeed it doesn't. Of course you're ignoring the huge uptick in threes (both attempts and makes) in her last two WNBA seasons. She's next to names like Chelsea Gray, Tiffany Hayes, Jewell Loyd and Kelsey Plum in those lists for 2019.

PostPosted: 02/07/21 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
JThomas, January, Hiedeman and JJones all shoot threes, at around league average or better. Smalls too, if she cracks the rotation. With JJones basically replacing AThomas, it's a better three-point shooting team than the one that was a game away from the Finals last season. They're gonna have some issues, but I'm not convinced that that's the biggest one.

All may be close to average, but according to HerHoopStats, the Sun were 11th in the league in three-point percentage and 10th in points from three-pointers.

And I don't see any upgrade on the roster.

Apart from the All-Star center who shoots 39% from three for her career and finished 3rd in MVP voting in her last WNBA season?

For her career, Jones averages 0.9 three-pointers made per game. Percentage alone does not tell the story.

Indeed it doesn't. Of course you're ignoring the huge uptick in threes (both attempts and makes) in her last two WNBA seasons. She's next to names like Chelsea Gray, Tiffany Hayes, Jewell Loyd and Kelsey Plum in those lists for 2019.

She made 1.3 a game in 2019 ... if she doubles that, I agree, and she might if Jones takes over the middle. But it's also true that if threes become a bigger part of her game, and she's guarded by fours, she'll get fewer open looks.

PostPosted: 02/15/21 9:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

@KCWoSo wrote:
NEWS: Amber Cox has been named KC's Chief Operating Officer. Previously she served as Mohegan Sun's VP of Sports w/ @WNBA's Connecticut Sun & @NLL's New England Black Wolves. Cox also has experience leading @NWSL's Houston Dash & @MLS' Houston Dynamo.

https://www.kcwoso.com/news/amber-cox-named-club-chief-operating-officer

PostPosted: 02/16/21 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I mentioned this in another thread, but looking at starters thoughout the league, I am most concearned about the Sun's backcourt. Jasmine Thomas is probably on the downslope at point, and they don't have an obvious starter at shooting guard. And whoever ends up starting there out of their current signees, it's the weakest starter in the league at this point in free agency. January isn't effective as a scorer at this point in her career and none of their other wing players have shown they are anywhere near starter-worthy. They do not have a first round draft pick. Odyssey Sims is starting to look like a league pariah, but she would objectively be an upgrade and immediate starter in the backcourt in Connecticut.

PostPosted: 02/16/21 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Only way Sun can afford Sims is if A. Thomas is suspended for the year.

PostPosted: 02/16/21 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, barring a trade to drop someone (or that suspension), they have to fit four players into $239,554. Which essentially means four players on the 0-2yr minimum of $58,710, with maybe one of them replaced by a draft pick. They can't even afford to keep both their second-round picks, never mind someone like Sims whose minimum is the 3+ version at $70,040.

https://herhoopstats.com/salary-cap-sheet/wnba/team/connecticut-sun-11eaecc7-3562-4a0a-b611-2362f5011b0b/

PostPosted: 02/16/21 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
I'm surprised nobody's talking about Connecticut. Looking at my projected starters in the league, whoever the Sun decides to start at shooting guard is dead last. That's the single weakest starting spot in the league at this point in free agency. Sims, to me, would be a huge upgrade and obvious starter in the backcourt there. Heck, Walker-Kimbrough is probably a better option than what they've currently got.

Imo no one's talking about Connecticut because they've done largely nothing this offseason compared to the other teams. They still haven't really addressed their main weakness across the roster, which is the shooting. I guess they assume Jonquel Jones can singlehandedly do that, plus replicate Alyssa Thomas' statistical output, plus replace the leadership & spirit that she provided.

Man though, is Thomas really about to get paid for getting injured overseas, when the Sun weren't even willing to do that with Ogwumike several years back? And that was back when top salaries were damn near half of what they are now. AT staying on the active roster means her team will only have at max 10 'healthy' players the whole year, and the bench will be weak as ever again so the starters will have to trudge along, playing the bulk of the minutes, again. But I guess since she's given so much to the team the past few years while playing hurt, both sides might figure that this is the Sun's way of repaying her – even if it is at the cost of the team's success. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Shades

PostPosted: 03/29/21 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

March 28, 2021
Connecticut Sun: Stephanie Jones – Sign Training Camp Contract

Just a little bit a nepotism, with no real shot at a spot?
Although I did feel she may have been worthy of drafting.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Queenie

PostPosted: 03/29/21 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Connecticut. This is not what the phrase "keeping up with the Joneses" is all about. wyd

(now with spelling variations)
Shades

PostPosted: 04/17/21 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

April 16, 2021
Connecticut Sun: Teana Muldrow – Sign Training Camp Contract

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/17/21 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So after they pay:

JT
January, Carrington
Bonner, K. Charles
JJ(AT)
B. Jones

there are 3 spots for cheap players
Presumably Mompremier and Heideman have an inside track on 2 of them though neither are 'safe' by any means. They haven't brought in much to compete at the post position so Mompremier will probably make the team. Heideman will certainly have competition from Kelly and Goodman.

That leaves one spot for someone they presumably hope can play in the post. So who knows, maybe lil sis actually makes the team.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/17/21 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You're counting Carrington as a definite after she went as the #20 pick in the draft? If Hiedeman's a maybe then surely she is as well.

It's absolutely the best place to have ended up if you're a random training camp invite.

PostPosted: 04/17/21 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mompremier was a #20 pick, so that’s a lucky number for them. Charles was #23. GM’s were terrible drafting last year, to Miller’s benefit, and it’s the same GM’s this year.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/17/21 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
You're counting Carrington as a definite after she went as the #20 pick in the draft? If Hiedeman's a maybe then surely she is as well.

It's absolutely the best place to have ended up if you're a random training camp invite.

I think Carrington provides the dynamic two-way SG which they don't otherwise have. I would be greatly surprised if she isn't on the team...and doesn't get significant minutes. We've been saying forever that this might be January's last year, but truly this year might be it. OTOH she does seem to be healthier and happier than she was a few years ago so she may have a few more years left in the tank. Still, with AT out I would think Conn would be thinking a bit more toward the future.

As for Hiedeman, she is active and fun to watch but really what is the one thing she does that stands out to you?

Also I'm curious to see what they do in the post. Mompremier has the smoothest path, but there should be a dogfight for another post position. That's assuming he doesn't think he can really go a full season with just three posts. Bonner could of course play some SF but not really where she is most effective. Muldrow is on the small side but I remember her as a pretty tough player. Maybe she has a chance here...or one of the others I don't really know. I wasn't all that impressed with what I saw from the younger Jones.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/17/21 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://news.yahoo.com/sun-one-wanted-wnba-draft-150100248.html

Quote:
"We thought DiJonai could go as early as late in the first round, and certainly didn't expect her to drop to 20," Miller said.

Quote:
"Very bullish in my comments that she may be the best two-way wing in the draft," Miller said. "I really believe that she can score at multiple levels. She's a strong and physical guard that can guard multiple positions."

RavenDog

PostPosted: 04/17/21 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
https://news.yahoo.com/sun-one-wanted-wnba-draft-150100248.html

Quote:
"We thought DiJonai could go as early as late in the first round, and certainly didn't expect her to drop to 20," Miller said.

Quote:
"Very bullish in my comments that she may be the best two-way wing in the draft," Miller said. "I really believe that she can score at multiple levels. She's a strong and physical guard that can guard multiple positions."

Si.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/17/21 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would actually be shocked if any of Mompremier, Heideman or Carrington did not make the team

Heideman looks legit to me even if back up PG is her ceiling I don't see either Kelly or Goodman knocking her off. I also don't believe that Muldrow or Bertsch are in a position to knock off Mompremier. (If their is another post I am missing them)

J. Thomas/Heideman
January/Carrington
Bonner/Charles
B. Jones/(A. Thomas)
J.Jones/Mompremier

11th spot up for grabs considering Bonner can slide to the 4 and B. Jones can slide to the 5, probably Bertsch for size, but if Miller really covets shooting I could see Goodman sneak in, and Smalls has an outside chance as well.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/18/21 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That is an old backcourt, and Briona Jones is adequate at best.

Things don't look that good in Connecticut.

PostPosted: 04/18/21 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sun sign Brianna Fraser to training camp contract.
https://twitter.com/ConnecticutSun/status/1383899407494500363

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/19/21 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

He does love his Maryland players ... I assume Fraser has been playing overseas. If I remember right, she is more of a 4, which is what they need.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/19/21 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

agree. And they are one more injury away from total disaster. Hopefully they haven't traded away their 2022 1st round draft pick.

- Amanda Gorman
Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/19/21 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ClayK wrote:

agree. And they are one more injury away from total disaster. Hopefully they haven't traded away their 2022 1st round draft pick.

Nope, they still have all their 2022 picks... for now. Though I could definitely see them trading their 2nd and/or 3rd for a player for this year, unless they found some hidden gems overseas.

PG: J. Thomas/Hiedeman
SG: January/?
SF: Bonner/Charles
PF: B. Jones or J. Jones/?
C: J. Jones or B. Jones/Mompremier
Injured: A. Thomas

Was Alyssa Thomas deserving of her contract? Yes. But I also hope she understands that her getting it & getting paid unfortunately hurts the team this year because of the difficult cap situation it put the team in. (Avoiding double-shoulder labrum surgery the past couple years also sort of hurts the team, but it more so literally hurts herself!) If they get another tough break that leads to them having a losing/Lottery season, I wonder if Curt Miller becomes in danger of losing his job.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/19/21 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was wondering if AT would take advantage of the time off to get the shoulder surgery. She would be smart to do so but I haven't heard anything about it.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/19/21 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She was asked if she would and said no. There was no good reason why.

PostPosted: 04/19/21 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm not seeing how this team makes the playoffs. Even if Bonner and Jonquel Jones have awesome seasons. That backcourt isn't going to be able to score enough to keep up with the rest of the league. January is probably the most in-need-of-replacement starter in the league at this point, and I say that as a huge fan.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: