RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Connecticut Sun 2021
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RI_Sun_Fan

PostPosted: 01/27/21 9:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was just posted and it was a rebrand. New logo on their twitter.

https://twitter.com/ConnecticutSun/status/1354429120747343875

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/27/21 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RI_Sun_Fan wrote:

So they just took the flames out and replaced them with red and white lines ?

PostPosted: 01/27/21 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RI_Sun_Fan wrote:

It looks the same to me? Lol

RI_Sun_Fan

PostPosted: 01/27/21 10:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well if you add a "D" to it it and redden it up slightly, it would look like a Mystics / Wizards alternate logo.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/27/21 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
keep it.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/pSauCNBp1DcOY" width="380" height="200" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe>

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 01/27/21 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Didn't they just change their logo a couple years ago?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/27/21 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
Didn't they just change their logo a couple years ago?

If you ask me it’s the logo they had when lobo first touched a basketball .

PostPosted: 02/01/21 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Per official team's twitter, Connecticut Sun sign Kamiah Smalls to a training camp contract:

https://twitter.com/ConnecticutSun/status/1356331965448744962

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/05/21 3:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
I wonder where Glory will end up. Liberty? Sun? Fever?

Really depends on how much GloJo’s willing to sign for... But if she’s willing to take a steep pay cut in order to play on a competitive roster, Connecticut could use her.

Unless AThomas is getting suspended or they're pulling out of the BJones deal, Connecticut can't afford it either.

But yeah, some of these vets are probably going to have to decide whether they're willing to bother playing for the vet minimum ($70,040). And several teams won't even have room for that.

Taking a good look at it now, Connecticut's current cap situation is even tighter than I thought. The remainder of the Sun's cap after subtracting the total salary of the 9 currently signed players is $183,424. That total salary figure includes Alyssa Thomas' contract but not Brionna Jones' supposedly agreed upon deal. Even if the cheapest possible player (making $58,710) took up another roster spot, that would still only leave $124,714 for BJones to get to that minimum 11-player threshold. I find it very hard to believe that BJones would agree to that small of an amount, considering A) she was a starter last season due to JJones opting out, and B) she might be starting again this year, or at the very least playing a very important bench role, with AThomas out for likely the whole season. JThomas got paid handsomely, and she wasn't that much more important/valuable than BJones, right? Confused

But then, I have a bit of a rabbit-hole question (with Richyyy being the most likely person that can answer it): Couldn't the Sun have signed AThomas to something super cheap this season, if AThomas wanted to remain on the roster & get paid – and then proceed to pay her a lot in 2022 & beyond? Like, would it have been possible for her to make the $70k vet min or what have you in 2021 and then get paid $206k in 2022, $212k in 2023, etc. like she's due to? Could a player's contract be so unconventional as it pertains to long-term salary schedule? (I'm mostly asking after seeing Natalie Achonwa's uncommon descending-in-value contract.) If so, then if AThomas wanted, she could've signed with another team that would've let her do that since she was a UFA. I'm sure she doesn't want to make nothing this season (WNBA salary-wise), and being granted a rare League ambassadorship is no guarantee. Rolling Eyes

Basically, the $200k AThomas is scheduled to make this year is throwing me off. If her contract is full-season suspended, none of it counts. If she's on the roster the whole year unable to play, she gets it all. And I don't even know how it would work if her contract were suspended for just part of the season – partial payments? If her contract has to get suspended the whole year, did she have to agree to that $200k amount in order to get paid the incremental $6k every year? Is that how these contract structures work? Even though I see that JThomas' new contract will go up by $5k in 2022 but then stay at that same amount in 2023. (Lord, why did I start dwelling on this to begin with? Laughing )

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/05/21 4:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The answer to most of your questions there is that the max increase or decrease between years of a contract is 3%. So if you're going to earn 200k in the second year of a deal, the least you have to earn in the first is about 194k. The only way a veteran could earn 70k in 2021 and 200k in 2022 would be via a one-year deal and then going through the whole free-agent thing again the following year.

And yes, I was talking about that same awkward Connecticut cap situation here: https://twitter.com/RichardCohen1/status/1357361533618159623?s=20 (our sums match). Unless Brionna Jones has agreed to a surprisingly cheap figure (potentially topped up by marketing cash which doesn't count against the cap), the only solution I can see is that they're offering Briann January around the league in the same way we assume Minnesota have been with Odyssey Sims. That or AThomas agreed to the suspension, which seems even less likely.

PostPosted: 02/05/21 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After all that, Jones took 120k. Multi-year, too. Surprised she signed that.

PostPosted: 02/05/21 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
The answer to most of your questions there is that the max increase or decrease between years of a contract is 3%. So if you're going to earn 200k in the second year of a deal, the least you have to earn in the first is about 194k. The only way a veteran could earn 70k in 2021 and 200k in 2022 would be via a one-year deal and then going through the whole free-agent thing again the following year.

And yes, I was talking about that same awkward Connecticut cap situation here: https://twitter.com/RichardCohen1/status/1357361533618159623?s=20 (our sums match). Unless Brionna Jones has agreed to a surprisingly cheap figure (potentially topped up by marketing cash which doesn't count against the cap), the only solution I can see is that they're offering Briann January around the league in the same way we assume Minnesota have been with Odyssey Sims. That or AThomas agreed to the suspension, which seems even less likely.

That clears things up for me, thank you!! And I see that BJones has in fact signed for $120k. Very kind of her to do that and accommodate her team & fellow players – kinder than she needed to be. Confused I get why she'd sign for one year, but I have genuinely no idea why she'd sign for two at that price. A) The Sun will have a different cap look by then with January coming off the books, and B) While she should have another big role for the second consecutive year, it's a lot harder to say what her role is gonna be in 2022, since AT will be due to return and presumably they'll be looking to re-sign JJones by then. If she goes back to being a bench player in 2022, she could play her way out of a big payday for the following year. I really don't get it at all. Shocked

Randy

PostPosted: 02/05/21 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe teams weren't all that sure she was worth it. Her only good season in 4 years was the shortened bubble season 2020. Before that she never averaged more than 10 minutes a game. Plus, the bigger and better posts were either sitting out, injured or MIA much of 2020.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/05/21 4:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe Jones just really likes Connecticut.

Doubt some teams weren’t interested, she’s a big body and still relatively young with room for improvement.

PostPosted: 02/05/21 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so

J. Thomas/Heideman
January/Smalls
Bonner/Charles
(A. Thomas)/Mompremier
J. Jones/B. Jones

one of Conn's 2nd round picks (20 or 21)

we are probably going to see small ball with Bonner at the 4 a lot, and some big line ups with both Jones on the court at the same time.

ClayK

PostPosted: 02/06/21 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
so

J. Thomas/Heideman
January/Smalls
Bonner/Charles
(A. Thomas)/Mompremier
J. Jones/B. Jones

one of Conn's 2nd round picks (20 or 21)

we are probably going to see small ball with Bonner at the 4 a lot, and some big line ups with both Jones on the court at the same time.

That's not a very good team. Bonner is really the only three-point threat, and she, J. Thomas and January are older players who could begin to decline at any time.

PostPosted: 02/06/21 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JThomas, January, Hiedeman and JJones all shoot threes, at around league average or better. Smalls too, if she cracks the rotation. With JJones basically replacing AThomas, it's a better three-point shooting team than the one that was a game away from the Finals last season. They're gonna have some issues, but I'm not convinced that that's the biggest one.

PostPosted: 02/06/21 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
JThomas, January, Hiedeman and JJones all shoot threes, at around league average or better. Smalls too, if she cracks the rotation. With JJones basically replacing AThomas, it's a better three-point shooting team than the one that was a game away from the Finals last season. They're gonna have some issues, but I'm not convinced that that's the biggest one.

All may be close to average, but according to HerHoopStats, the Sun were 11th in the league in three-point percentage and 10th in points from three-pointers.

And I don't see any upgrade on the roster.

PostPosted: 02/06/21 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also, Bonner's not really a threat from three. 25% last season, 29% for her career.

PostPosted: 02/06/21 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mission accomplished: Connecticut Sun sign Brionna Jones
https://www.norwichbulletin.com/story/sports/2021/02/06/mission-accomplished-connecticut-sun-sign-brionna-jones/4419212001/

Quote:
While some WNBA teams were adding glitzy new names to their rosters in this first week of free agency, the Connecticut Sun held fast and brought back some key names that have led them to their recent success.

Wasn’t their gameplan in 2020. I guess they figured Courtney Williams had little to do with their success the prior season.

Quote:
“She was a legitimate candidate for (the WNBA’s) Most Improved Player last year," Miller said. "She got to show the league, the fans and the media, how talented she is....”

Jones was drafted by the Sun out of Maryland with the eighth pick in the WNBA draft in 2017.

I guess she showed Miller how talented she is. After all, the consensus here was that BJones was worthy of the #3 pick, but Miller insinuated unless you’re a savvy GM with one year experience like himself, you don’t know what you’re talking about and that Shaqhator was the appropriate pick at #3. Bibb was the smarty and Miller just unknowingly got lucky. Wonk wonk wonk...

Quote:
Alyssa Thomas is out indefinitely after surgery for a torn Achille’s tendon which means Jonquel Jones likely will see time at the four.

It opens up minutes for Brionna Jones at the five.

See that Spooner? BJones is best around the basket while JJones has some perimeter skills. Keeping Bonner at SF gives them their best players on the court at the same time with the most minutes.

Quote:
"People can jump on other signings going on around the league, but (Brionna Jones) was a big sign for us.”

The theme throughout the article seems to be that Miller is self conscious about not making a splashy signing this year. Fans won’t be happy with the boring offseason. But a boring offseason is painted as “continuity”. Courtney Williams was hoping for some of that boring continuity last season.

Quote:
Miller added his goal now is to put together as talented and as competitive a training camp roster as possible through draft picks and training camp contracts.

He doesn’t have much choice. He got lucky with Mompremier and Charles. Now he’s got to find the cheapest contracts available to fill out the roster UNLESS.....

Quote:
Those players will be battling for the last two or three roster spots available depending on whether the Sun decide to suspend Alyssa Thomas or not.

They haven’t decided yet! So either they’re working on getting Thomas an ambassadorship (is it too late for that?) or maybe they need to trade a player? I figure January is the most expendable current starter. Charles or Hiedeman could mostly fill in that void. My guess is January gets traded, or AThomas gets suspended a half season (if that’s allowed), or suspended full season. The last two options may lead to hurt feelings and belie statement about taking care of AThomas.

Continuity players like Carson, Plaisance, Holmes, and KML are most likely out unless they play for minimum and nobody seems to be knocking on their doors with higher offers yet.

Stay tuned to “As the Sun Turns”.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 02/06/21 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
They haven’t decided yet! So either they’re working on getting Thomas an ambassadorship (is it too late for that?)

The last ambassadorship was announced the day rosters were finalized.

PostPosted: 02/06/21 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
They haven’t decided yet! So either they’re working on getting Thomas an ambassadorship (is it too late for that?)

The last ambassadorship was announced the day rosters were finalized.

They never should’ve started with the ambassadorship nonsense. Now teams can claim unfairness on how it’s used. I can picture Miller on the phone with Engelbert in tears right now.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/06/21 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

All may be close to average, but according to HerHoopStats, the Sun were 11th in the league in three-point percentage and 10th in points from three-pointers.

Apart from the All-Star center who shoots 39% from three for her career and finished 3rd in MVP voting in her last WNBA season?

PostPosted: 02/06/21 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Apart from the All-Star center who shoots 39% from three for her career and finished 3rd in MVP voting in her last WNBA season?

Jones has been shooting a lot of 3's for UMMC

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
ClayK

PostPosted: 02/07/21 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

For her career, Jones averages 0.9 three-pointers made per game. Percentage alone does not tell the story.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: